ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 19th, 2014, 11:02 PM   #1
meggyewill
Speed gets you high!

Name: Meagan

Motorcycle(s): 92 yamaha fzr600 and 07 kawasaki ninja ex250

Need Help Oil,engine rebuild

I have a 2007.I bought this bike originally because it was such a amazing deal.I couldn't help myself.I have been studying motorcycle mechanics thru Ashford in Georgia.So I knew had a free issues that I was excited to fix.It wasn't much to do there. Need a new gasket around the spark plug under the valve cover and a new battery. It also needed the valve clearance checked.I wasn't comfortable doing that so after I did all the maintenance on It.I took it to a shop.At the shop when I left it came out sounding worse then it went in.I was going 90 on the highway home heard a loud clunk and lost compression.Make a long story short I blew a rocker arm into the cam chain ate a valve retainer and collects.I had another rocker arm that had a very tiny piece broke the mechanic who looked at said it would be fine to reuse.I did all the work On it myself including putting the one chipped rocker arm back on.Needless to say finished cranked it sounded great and then same thing happened with that crap rocker arm.Bought new motor 7000mi put it on and now oil in mailbox,smoking and wouldn't.crank til now.Don't know what the issue is?!

Old July 19th, 2014, 11:10 PM   #2
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggyewill View Post
I have a 2007.I bought this bike originally because it was such a amazing deal.I couldn't help myself.I have been studying motorcycle mechanics thru Ashford in Georgia.So I knew had a free issues that I was excited to fix.It wasn't much to do there. Need a new gasket around the spark plug under the valve cover and a new battery. It also needed the valve clearance checked.I wasn't comfortable doing that so after I did all the maintenance on It.I took it to a shop.At the shop when I left it came out sounding worse then it went in.I was going 90 on the highway home heard a loud clunk and lost compression.Make a long story short I blew a rocker arm into the cam chain ate a valve retainer and collects.I had another rocker arm that had a very tiny piece broke the mechanic who looked at said it would be fine to reuse.I did all the work On it myself including putting the one chipped rocker arm back on.Needless to say finished cranked it sounded great and then same thing happened with that crap rocker arm.Bought new motor 7000mi put it on and now oil in mailbox,smoking and wouldn't.crank til now.Don't know what the issue is?!
the issue is you need to go back to school..... also never use a broken rocker arm for the 60 you ( saved) you be on the road right now?

Old July 19th, 2014, 11:17 PM   #3
meggyewill
Speed gets you high!

Name: Meagan

Motorcycle(s): 92 yamaha fzr600 and 07 kawasaki ninja ex250

I just started school but I agree more time would definitely improve my knowledge.I didn't use a broken rocker arm it had a chip that a cert.mechanic said would be fine.I trusted his knowledge where mine was lacking
IF YOU CANT SAY ANYTHING NICE DONT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL
NEED HELP NOT SMART A#% COMMENTS OR REPLIES.Ty

Old July 19th, 2014, 11:23 PM   #4
fishdip

Quote:
I just started school but I agree more time would definitely improve my knowledge.I didn't use a broken rocker arm it had a chip that a cert.mechanic said would be fine.I trusted his knowledge where mine was lacking
it was broken you can say chip or crack or any other word but it was still broken. also if you really need help do some reading at this site.
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Main_Page

Old July 19th, 2014, 11:24 PM   #5
fishdip

Quote:
Also change this to if you can't do it right the first time don't do it at all.

Old July 19th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #6
fishdip

also what is a mailbox? you my need to take it out and add it to the bike???

Old July 20th, 2014, 11:38 AM   #7
accumack
ninjette.org member

Name: jim

Motorcycle(s): honda crf230l & 2013 ninja 300se wife has Honda crf230l & honda cbr250r repsol

I think they meant the air box.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2014, 11:45 AM   #8
accumack
ninjette.org member

Name: jim

Motorcycle(s): honda crf230l & 2013 ninja 300se wife has Honda crf230l & honda cbr250r repsol

She is trying to learn, it's not her fault the mechanic gave bad advice. She came here looking for help let's try to give good advice. Everyone has to start some where.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2014, 04:55 PM   #9
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Speaking of school, here is some required reading related to your previous problem: http://n4mwd.blogspot.com/2013/06/ov...ts-during.html
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2014, 05:20 PM   #10
JasonJ
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 1980 Yamaha XS850G Midnight Special, 32k Miles; 2000 EX250F, <5000 Orig Miles

Seems to me the shop that did the valve adjustment screwed something up and caused your engine to detonate. It can be no coincidence that you had this work done, then it explodes.

Also, if it was sounding so much worse than when you dropped it off, why in the heck did you accept the work and take the bike?!

As to your new problem, who cares anymore what happened with the old engine.. but please give more detailed information as to what is happening. Just saying it wont crank with oil in the airbox tells us really nothing useful.
JasonJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2014, 02:39 AM   #11
SouthHalfrican
ninjette.org member

Name: Elrich

Motorcycle(s): Ninja '07 250, '03 500, Ducati '01 M750, '03 999 base, 1198S corse, Honda 77CB750F2

This whole thread makes me hit my head against the wall.

Be ready to take criticism and move on if you did something out of ignorance. Its how we all learn...
SouthHalfrican is offline   Reply With Quote