ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Cargo Space

Old July 31st, 2010, 04:00 PM   #1
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Who uses a tank bag?

I am absolutely sick and tired of transporting my laptop, etc. to work every day on my back. Since I will be inheriting a "retired" laptop soon, I was planning on leaving it at work, and the backpack at home (actually have been planing for a long time). Of course I will have some misc. items that I still need to carry, namely lunch, but I don't want to put the saddlebags on just for this. I was thinking a magnetic tank bag might be perfect.

What I would like to know is:
1) For those who use tank bags all the time, has there been any additional wear and tear on the paint/clear coat on your tank?

2) I know they come in a variety of sizes, but do they at all get in the way of riding?

3) Is there anything I should be sure to look for, or avoid?

This thread probably straddles the farkle category, but I am more interested in user feedback, than info on specific models. Alex will have the final vote on thread category placement
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2010, 04:09 PM   #2
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

1) No

2) No.

3) Get one that will fit you needs and has a waterproof cover.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2010, 04:19 PM   #3
KimR
ninjette.org member

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2007 Suzuki V-Strom DL650

I commute on a Suzuki V-Strom and have used a magnetic tankbag for several years without any damage to the paint or clearcoat. I don't see any reason my 250R would suffer any. I also have used a magnetic tankbag on the Ninja, although not regularly. It does not get in the way of riding. However, none of my tankbags is big enough to hold a full size laptop. Wolfman luggage makes a soft tailbag specifically for commuting with a laptop that might be a better fit for you. They're pricey but unbelievale quality.

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Tail/moto_briefcase.html

And get a raincover for whatever you get.
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2010, 05:34 PM   #4
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

1. No
2. Not very much. You might have to get used to it at first, but I never notice mine. I recommend taking whatever you are going to transport with you to the store when you go to make your purchase. Test it out and see if it works.
3. I don't think there is anything you need to avoid, but I would recommend making sure it has detachable shoulder strap(s) so it is easy to carry your stuff when off the bike.

Old July 31st, 2010, 06:29 PM   #5
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Doc, I use a tank bag all the time---also a tail bag and saddlebags when I need them. You might find this sort of wierd, but I found a tank bag, tail bag, and saddle bags at Wal-Mart on the internet. The whole thing was, as I recall, about $125. I have had the bags two years and they are fine. They also have waterproof covers that come with the bags. Check them out. I also found that VIP Auto carries them as well. I don't know if VIP is out your way. I do believe that there is a thread on this forum about bike luggage. Some good info there.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2010, 06:41 PM   #6
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Love tank bags, have 3 now that are different sizes and have different features depending on what I'm doing or planning to carry.

1. No
2. No
3. Watch some of the zippers that can scratch the paint, buddy on his 2010 250 has to watch his. Waterproof covers are nice. Also watch the size and make sure it's gonna fit the tank how you like.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2010, 10:16 PM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Got mine at Walmart on clearance in 2008... Bell brand (only shows up on eBay now). It has damaged the clear coat, but only because I use it EVERYWHERE and have put 15K miles on my bike with it for at least 14.6K of that! Gotta make sure it's free of debris but that's kinda hard when it attracts iron dust, staples, etc.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2010, 11:24 PM   #8
headshrink

A tank bag it is then

Walmart... that does sound funny. I would rather support the local guy, or even the internet before Walmart, unless they were the only place with it.

CZ - that is my concern.... I keep everything for a long time (beyond 14K by now), and like them looking nice.

Old August 1st, 2010, 12:15 AM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
A tank bag it is then

Walmart... that does sound funny. I would rather support the local guy, or even the internet before Walmart, unless they were the only place with it.

CZ - that is my concern.... I keep everything for a long time (beyond 14K by now), and like them looking nice.
Luckily, clear coat damage isn't permanent... right? I'm sure most will polish right out.

Old August 1st, 2010, 08:09 AM   #10
Sailariel

I put four coats of "Liquid Glass" on the whole bike. It is a polish, not a wax, but is extremely hard. I have 11K miles on the clock and no scratches. It is a popular polish with Corvette owners. Years ago, someone "decorated" my Vette with some black spray paint. It came right off with a power washer. Nothing seems to stick to the finish after it is treated.

Old August 1st, 2010, 08:34 AM   #11
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Magnetic bags are great and don't mark the paint...

BUT>>>>>>

Make SURE you check the bag's underside around the magnets before you put it on the bike. Those magnets are very strong and if you just happen to pass near a tack, or staple, or something while carrying the bag around, it may wind up stuck to the bottom of the thing.

Then your paint WILL get scratched!
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2010, 08:39 AM   #12
Sailariel

Andrew, That's for sure. No hard polish can prevent a tack or staple event. Those ARE strong magnets.

Old August 1st, 2010, 12:24 PM   #13
cinjette10
ninjette.org member

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r Special Edition

I have to disagree with the comment tank bags don't mark the paint. My bike is less than 2 months old and I bought an Icon Primer Tank Bag which fits and flows well with the design of the tank. My husband took it off after it being on there for a week to clean my bike and found rings on the clear coat where the magnets had made contact with tank. So I would give this bag a big thumbs down. He was able to buff most of the damage out, if you didn't know that it was there you'd probably never see it, but I know where to look to see it.
cinjette10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2010, 12:44 PM   #14
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinjette10 View Post
I have to disagree with the comment tank bags don't mark the paint. My bike is less than 2 months old and I bought an Icon Primer Tank Bag which fits and flows well with the design of the tank. My husband took it off after it being on there for a week to clean my bike and found rings on the clear coat where the magnets had made contact with tank. So I would give this bag a big thumbs down. He was able to buff most of the damage out, if you didn't know that it was there you'd probably never see it, but I know where to look to see it.
Yeah. Unless you just washed your bike there are going to be surface contaminates (dust) that will get trapped between the rubberized soft scratchproof material and it will mark it. Wiping it down before every ride is likely to mark it over time as well, so you are damned if you do/don't. I say, just deal with it and polish when you start to notice.

Last futzed with by CZroe; August 1st, 2010 at 11:48 PM.

Old August 1st, 2010, 12:47 PM   #15
headshrink

I've never heard of Liquid Glass... I'll give it a google.

Old August 1st, 2010, 12:52 PM   #16
Miee1982
Changing the oil sux

Name: Bertha

Motorcycle(s): 250r

hi i use a smal tank bag. i havent had any problems with the paint and as for the ridding im greatfull at times that i have it on my bike cause i can lean on it when its 2 windy or just want to relax

Old August 1st, 2010, 11:55 PM   #17
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Oh! FWIW, buying a tank bag for the laptop is a better idea than buying a laptop for a tank bag! I had to wait for months to see if an Alienware M11x would fit in mine (barely). By that time, my tank bag was coming apart anyway and I needed to buy a new one a month later (got the same kind because I already verified the fit).

Alienware M11x is 11.6" w/ a large boarder and it barely fits (people say it's closer to 13.3"). MacBook Air is 13.3" without much bezel/border and it doesn't fit.

Old August 2nd, 2010, 02:32 AM   #18
headshrink

No more laptop on the bike.... that is the whole idea... just hop on and go!

Old August 2nd, 2010, 06:39 AM   #19
emdsd
Ninjette Enthusiast

Name: Evan

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250R, 2008 Ninja 250R

Here is what I do for a tank bag. A little more expensive than the better quality tank bags but much better than magnets.

http://www.theyeagergroup.com/Bags_C...g_Install.html
emdsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2010, 11:27 AM   #20
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdsd View Post
Here is what I do for a tank bag. A little more expensive than the better quality tank bags but much better than magnets.

Not the prettiest thing, but interesting and ingenious.

Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:02 PM   #21
emdsd
Ninjette Enthusiast

Cute has little to do with it. For the few times I need a tank bag it is very convenient.

Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:32 PM   #22
headshrink

Quote:
Cute has little to do with it. For the few times I need a tank bag it is very convenient.
Yes, no arguments there.

Old August 2nd, 2010, 07:53 PM   #23
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

Name: Debbi

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250 (Sold); 2008 Ninja EX500

I have a Joe Rocket Manta tank bag that goes with me everywhere. The magnets are super strong, but I've never had any damage from them. I carry all sorts of doo-dads in it: wallet, cell phone charger, various tools, a flashlight, tire gauge.....and a lipstick, just in case

I also have a First Gear roll-type tail bag that I love. It holds a lot, and I don't even notice it when I'm riding.

Old August 4th, 2010, 06:23 AM   #24
Seattle_Chris
Newb since 10/2009

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE. Slowly morphing to ADV bike. :D

I use a Cortech mini. http://www.amazon.com/Cortech-Mini-S.../dp/B002FDKJ60

It'll hold a point and shoot camera, 2 Vitamin water bottles, sunblock, phone, and a netbook comfortably without having to open the expansion zippers. I don't see any way for it to damage the paint. I rode like 4k miles with mine so far, and no wear. Though the bag is starting to look a bit frumpy.

It surprisingly doesn't get in my way. I'm a fat dude too, and it doesn't get in my way at all.

You might want to look for cable entrances into the bag if you use a music player, or charge any accessories while you ride.
Seattle_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 06:38 AM   #25
lux
ninjette.org guru

Name: lux

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Chris View Post
Hi. Do you have a tank pad? I was thinking about the Mini, but also going to get a tank pad, and was wondering if the magnet(s) would hold well. It seems like the flap would go over the tank pad.

Thanks for any assistance.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 07:06 AM   #26
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:

Seems a little extreme when you can just get a magnetic tank bag. Plus, I wouldn't want to be riding around with that mount thing on there when I do not have my tank bag with me. As for magnets, I have a Cortech Mini and have never had an issue with the magnets not holding. Even when the bag has been full and on the heavy side.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 07:08 AM   #27
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
Hi. Do you have a tank pad? I was thinking about the Mini, but also going to get a tank pad, and was wondering if the magnet(s) would hold well. It seems like the flap would go over the tank pad.

Thanks for any assistance.
I have the magnetic cortech mini (the picture in the link was not the magnetic one, but rather the one which straps to the tank). I can't imagine it interfering with a tank pad, unless your pad goes over the top of the tank (which I've never seen).

Old August 4th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #28
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsketch View Post
I have a laptop backpack so I use that...

Tuesday I drove with a exabyte single loader tape drive, scsi cables and the laptop on my back to a small site about an hour on my ninja.... I just tighten the straps pretty tight and its no issue
Yeah, I don't think you wanna get that tape anywhere NEAR magnets.

Old August 4th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #29
emdsd
Ninjette Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post
Seems a little extreme when you can just get a magnetic tank bag. Plus, I wouldn't want to be riding around with that mount thing on there when I do not have my tank bag with me. As for magnets, I have a Cortech Mini and have never had an issue with the magnets not holding. Even when the bag has been full and on the heavy side.
I have a couple of Cortech tankbags and think they are great. However, if you haven't used one of these mounts it would be hard to understand. Just click and snap is all it takes to put on and off. Makes filling the tank a breeze compared with magnet or strap mounting. The maximum load is 10 lbs just like for other tankbags (I wouldn't put over 2 to 3 lbs in any tankbag personally). I have a doctorate in computer science and don't think magnets work are too good for what I tend to carry from time to time.

Dr. Evan Yeager

Old August 4th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #30
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsketch View Post
it take a pretty strong magnet, and I only had the drive, no tapes
Ah. If you did have the tapes though...

with data that dense, why risk it? It takes a strong magnet to wipe a HDD too but that doesn't stop the weak magnetic field of the Earth from setting our current MTBF ratings. Scott Mueller (makes the definitive PC Upgrade and Repair books) says that modern HDDs are not engineered to be used even 10 years later because the tracking info between the cylinders is not refreshed with read/writes and you can't LLF like the old days.

Old August 4th, 2010, 09:45 AM   #31
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I have a couple of Cortech tankbags and think they are great. However, if you haven't used one of these mounts it would be hard to understand. Just click and snap is all it takes to put on and off. Makes filling the tank a breeze compared with magnet or strap mounting. The maximum load is 10 lbs just like for other tankbags (I wouldn't put over 2 to 3 lbs in any tankbag personally). I have a doctorate in computer science and don't think magnets work are too good for what I tend to carry from time to time.
Fair enough. I can certainly understand if magnets would be an issue with what you carry. I'm curious about your comment on filling the tank though. With my bag now, I just have to lift it up and move it. I would think you'd have to do the same with yours. What am I missing that makes the bag with the mount so much easier? Although I do think a strap one would be more cumbersome.

Old August 4th, 2010, 10:13 AM   #32
headshrink

Will magnets affect devices with flash memory?

Old August 4th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #33
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Unlikely.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #34
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
Will magnets affect devices with flash memory?
Nope. The benefits are that they aren't sensitive to shock/vibrations or magnets... well, beyond anything electrical. Strong magnetic fields generate relatively weak current in wires that pass through them and vice versa, so it has to be pretty extreme to even flip a bit on an electrical circuit, but EMP can be strong enough to damage things. I had a laptop at work and I could knock out the backlight by using a hand-held Motorola 2-way radio in close proximity. I'd have to sleep/hibernate and wake up to restore it! Another desktop PC would instantly crash to a blank screen any time a GSM phone would ring if you placed it right on top (you can hear the feedback in analog speakers).

That said, I have had an unexpectedly high amount of flash drive failures.

Old August 5th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #35
nitehawk
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250 - SE Black & Red

Tool Chest Liner

If you are worried about your tank getting scratched you can cut a strip of tool chest liner to match the shape. Simply place it between the bag and the tank and you wont have any issues. Works great for mine, no matter how dirty my bike is.
nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #36
headshrink

Great idea.

Old August 9th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #37
WOWNinja
oh yes it is!

Name: :D

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE - SOLD 2004 CBR600RR Candy Blue (sportech wind Screen / OEM Sliders)

i am actually thinking of buying one...
WOWNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #38
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

I ordered one after reading this thread
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #39
emdsd
Ninjette Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post
With my bag now, I just have to lift it up and move it. I would think you'd have to do the same with yours. What am I missing that makes the bag with the mount so much easier?
Good question really.

The mounting collar system interlocks. One simply fits the rear of the collars together and rotates the bag down until the latch clicks. A tug on the spring loaded latch and the bag lifts to the rear. Once in place it doesn't move and you lean over on it without it "walking". The location is completely predicable so you don't have to be careful to place it so it will not interfere with handle bar travel. It doesn't touch the tank so there is no concern with dust and sand on the tank (I live in the country down a gravel road -- dust and dirt are an issue).

Dr. Evan Yeager

Old August 9th, 2010, 10:00 PM   #40
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

got one

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...Manta_Tank_Bag

comes in different colors. has a strap to throw it over your back and take with you. fairly roomy. 3 compartments. dont use it often as I like to get low on the tank when riding spirited, but awesome for cruises and short trips if you dont wanna wear a backpack
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote