ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Cargo Space

Old February 21st, 2012, 07:29 PM   #1
atomicrm
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

Motorcycle Backpack

I have been riding without any gear besides a helmet and gloves for a while now. mostly because i simply havent had the money and i ride to school everyday and dont want to carry it around my high school. Feeling like im starting to over stay my welcome with lady luck so I have ordered a jacket and will soon be ordering pants, new gloves and boots. Is there a decently sized moto backpack out there that could carry my helmet, pants, boots and gloves and a few notebooks? The jacket I would just carry with me. Will probably have to carry the helmet with me as well but would be nice if it could go in the back pack.

Recommendations for boots, gloves and pants would be nice as well. keeping in mind im in HS and money is not unlimited but still want to get nice stuff

Thanks for the help
atomicrm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 07:54 PM   #2
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

Ogio No-Drag.

/thread
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 07:58 PM   #3
saxnbass
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

Here is my recommendation, mind you I commute everywhere on my Ninjette, including to college.

Keep your helmet and gloves, unless there is something wrong with them.

For pants, get a couple of pair of kevlar lined riding jeans and a set of nice knee/shin guards (I have the Dianese ones and can highly recommend them).

And get a nice jacket. I'd recommend leather if you can afford it. If not, a quality, well vented textile will do you well too.

You can wear the knee/shin guards underneath the jeans, which look just like regular jeans. Stuff the gloves in the helmet, and all you have to do is carry the helmet. If you absolutely can't carry your helmet, then get a backpack with a helmet carrier, but I'd prefer carrying it so I don't accidentally knock it against a wall or something if I turn around or have someone knock into it.
saxnbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 08:04 PM   #4
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

I got an oxford aeropack. I uses it daily for commuting to work. the bottom of the backpack has a compartment that zips open for your helmet, a slot for a camel back (i use it to hold a first aid kit), and is expandable. Best thing is its water proof, did a half hour commute in a downpour and stayed dry.

i've been able to stuff my overpants, tablet, lunch, 2 thermoses, extra set of clothes, gopro and etc in the main compartment, so its good for space.
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 08:17 PM   #5
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

I just received my Icon Urban Tank bag today. The cost from Revzilla.com was $90. This is a good option if it fits your budget. I plan on using it to commute to work and I tested it this afternoon. It fit my 15 inch laptop, work shoes, slacks, sweater, and my DSLR camera. All without using any of the 3 available outside pockets. Fold out straps convert it to a backpack when you take it off the tank, and there is a fold down strap system to hold your helmet. Doesn't fit your helmet inside, so you helmet will be visible but it beats carrying it. Sounds like this may fit what you are looking for.
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 08:34 PM   #6
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Name: Katherine

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNinja8 View Post
I just received my Icon Urban Tank bag today. The cost from Revzilla.com was $90. This is a good option if it fits your budget. I plan on using it to commute to work and I tested it this afternoon. It fit my 15 inch laptop, work shoes, slacks, sweater, and my DSLR camera. All without using any of the 3 available outside pockets. Fold out straps convert it to a backpack when you take it off the tank, and there is a fold down strap system to hold your helmet. Doesn't fit your helmet inside, so you helmet will be visible but it beats carrying it. Sounds like this may fit what you are looking for.
Do you have a pic of it on your bike? I looked on revzilla.com and it only shows the front of the bag. thnx
Kstorm21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 08:44 PM   #7
squaregamer476
learning stages

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): black 09 kawasaki ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicrm View Post
I have been riding without any gear besides a helmet and gloves for a while now. mostly because i simply havent had the money and i ride to school everyday and dont want to carry it around my high school. Feeling like im starting to over stay my welcome with lady luck so I have ordered a jacket and will soon be ordering pants, new gloves and boots. Is there a decently sized moto backpack out there that could carry my helmet, pants, boots and gloves and a few notebooks? The jacket I would just carry with me. Will probably have to carry the helmet with me as well but would be nice if it could go in the back pack.

Recommendations for boots, gloves and pants would be nice as well. keeping in mind im in HS and money is not unlimited but still want to get nice stuff

Thanks for the help
Try some of those kevlar pants. They look like jeans. stylish also. ask your dad to buy those for you on your bday or something.

A nice leather type over the ankle boots would be nice.

As for gloves, you have gloves, but alpinestars are quite popular. ask your mom to get you a nice set for your bday.
squaregamer476 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 08:45 PM   #8
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstorm21 View Post
Do you have a pic of it on your bike? I looked on revzilla.com and it only shows the front of the bag. thnx
i got it too. PM me ur number and ill send u a quick vid of it..if you dont mind. and for future oahu cruises and hang outs
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 09:14 PM   #9
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
found via a google image search for icon urban tank bag ninja 250
oh....thanks.

Old February 21st, 2012, 09:52 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
@Kevin2109 has crashed on his backpack like... dozens of times. he'll probably have plenty of input. his last bike-looping he said his pack saved him from quite a lot of damage as he slid. its one of those hard-back packs

also; good job getting some real gear.

also; also.

Old February 21st, 2012, 10:09 PM   #11
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Sucks I can't go with these aerodynamic packs. The hump on my jacket hinders me from wearing ridged packs, so I can only wear ones that flex.

The Ogio packs look nice and they seem to get some good, but few reviews.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 10:47 PM   #12
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

@kstorm sorry I didn't take a photo I can shoot you one tmrw. Correction the helmet does fit neatly inside the pack but afterwards you would only have room for a couple spirals maybe. No textbooks. Minor issue because you can strap it outside. My only two complaints thus far are that the material is pretty thin - similar to a jansport pack. Its not going to wear very well I don't think. The other minor complaint is that since the bag is not rigid, if you don't fill it up items can slide around loosely and if ur someone who likes to lean on the tankbag you will have empty spots. Simply cured by stuffing a sweatshirt to fill it out while providing a soft resting place. Overall its a large pack that isn't too obtrusive for a noob like me to be comfortable with.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:13 AM   #13
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

There was another thread about this a few weeks ago... I would never run with anything besides a backpack, people say it can mess up your back, but really? If your hitting down on the ground with that much force you have other things to worry about. This is what I have

(Pre-crash)

(Post-crash)

The thing held up wonderfully and I can for sure say it saved my ass, literally. I was off the bike at 60mph and spent most my time on the backpack and on my ass

Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:32 AM   #14
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Damn...which bag is that?

Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:44 AM   #15
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Axio Swift!

Old February 22nd, 2012, 10:52 AM   #16
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Ya know you dont need a hardshell pack if you just stop falling over :P
Lol Its not just or that, I like the way it looks, it holds a lot of stuff and it rides in the wind very well

Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:56 PM   #17
Gorilla25
Dakine...

lucky you..i have to take my cage when grocery shopping....40lbs of chicken, 20lbs red potatoes, and a bunch of other misc food items

Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:57 PM   #18
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Oh BTW I was doing 60 when I went down

Last futzed with by Kevin2109; February 22nd, 2012 at 06:43 PM.
Kevin2109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:23 PM   #19
Gorilla25
Dakine...

that is my diet. my brother and i are bodybuilders...well, gettin there... so, we gotta eat A LOT..chicken, fish, red potatoes, whole wheat, fruits, veggies etc....

Old February 22nd, 2012, 04:00 PM   #20
Gorilla25
Dakine...

lol. i ride my ninja 7 days a week. 2 hrs of grocery shopping in my cage dont bother me.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:16 PM   #21
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstorm21 View Post
Here are some photos of the bag on my bike. Sorry it was already dark out when I got home from work. The bag is holding a 6 pack of bottles and a party size bag of Chips - You know, the bare essentials!

Looking at the photos it looks really large, but I am 5'7" 160lbs and it feels great on my tank. I can see over it by a good 6 inches and it doesn't touch my arms unless I tuck. Doesn't impede any movement and I've grown quite fond of having it full on my tank. After 2 evening rides I felt naked when trying to ride without it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0362.jpg (67.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0363.jpg (74.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0364.jpg (69.9 KB, 35 views)

Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:21 PM   #22
Gorilla25
Dakine...

I been putting it on my bike backwards the whole time ...no wonder sometimes the bag accidentally honks my horn

Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:51 PM   #23
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla25 View Post
I been putting it on my bike backwards the whole time ...no wonder sometimes the bag accidentally honks my horn
Lol...the middle strap in the front attaches to your steering column. You leave the strap attached to the column and release the buckle from the bag when u get off. Just a little extra insurance policy if the magnets fail.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 10:06 PM   #24
Gorilla25
Dakine...

i guess we really do learn something new everyday..haha...i had that bag half full (water, snacks, etc) and i was hitting twisties (40-60mph) lucky the bag stayed in place

Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:02 PM   #25
atomicrm
ninjette.org member

I like the idea of the tank bag a lot but think i will probably be buying the axio. any idea how much better the 2.0 swift is than the previous one kevin?

Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:06 PM   #26
atomicrm
ninjette.org member

only questions is do i buy the all black one for 190 or dish out the extra 30 for this
http://www.indysuperbike.com/custome...t=31558&page=1

Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:35 AM   #27
mustang5.0
ninjette.org guru

Name: E

Motorcycle(s): 2011 GIXXER 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicrm View Post
only questions is do i buy the all black one for 190 or dish out the extra 30 for this
http://www.indysuperbike.com/custome...t=31558&page=1
i would spent the extra $30

Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:36 AM   #28
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

I actually dont like the new axio swift, I got the 1.0 not the 2.0. The 2.0 could probably hold a little more but it doesnt look as good

I only paid $80 for mine, new

Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:10 AM   #29
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 (sold) '12 Ninja 650

I have been using a Jansport backpack for my commuting...

Not very aerodynamic, but it works for now... Usually only have a couple small thing in it (extra gloves, water bottle, hat, etc), so it's not heavy at all... I do have a tank bag too, but don't really use it much... Eventually, I will get a better pack...

Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:15 AM   #30
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknyght View Post
I have been using a Jansport backpack for my commuting...

Not very aerodynamic, but it works for now... Usually only have a couple small thing in it (extra gloves, water bottle, hat, etc), so it's not heavy at all... I do have a tank bag too, but don't really use it much... Eventually, I will get a better pack...
Nothing against Jansport they've served me well in the past. Just wouldn't pay $90 bucks for a Jansport with magnets...wait a minute, scratch that I think I just did lol.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:22 AM   #31
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Quote:
Nothing against Jansport they've served me well in the past. Just wouldn't pay $90 bucks for a Jansport with magnets...wait a minute, scratch that I think I just did lol.
LOL!

I did just try and fit my helmet in my backpack and while yes, it *technically* fits, it wouldn't be comfortable to carry (and pretty much take up all the room)... So have a bit of solace from that...

Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:30 AM   #32
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
LOL!

I did just try and fit my helmet in my backpack and while yes, it *technically* fits, it wouldn't be comfortable to carry (and pretty much take up all the room)... So have a bit of solace from that...
Excellent, on two separate threads you've given my the comfort to keep both my bike and my tank bag

Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:33 AM   #33
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Quote:
Excellent, on two separate threads you've given my the comfort to keep both my bike and my tank bag
Glad I can be of service!

Old February 23rd, 2012, 01:07 PM   #34
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Quote:
Carry it on the outside of your pack so that the girlies see that you ride. I have MOLLE webbing (PALS webbing really but meh) and use a cargo net ($6 from my local cyclegear - who gives MSF graduate discounts too) but I am sure you can figure out something on what you already have. Keeps the inside open for other items and shows off your sporty helmet (in my case it shows off the tigger ears and tail).
<-- Married...

So far, I haven't really *needed* to put the helmet anywhere, as I mostly commute, so I can just put all my stuff next to my desk... The times I do go to a store or whatnot, I just carry the helmet with me or if it's a quick trip inside, I'll lock it to the bike, under the rear seat...

Old February 23rd, 2012, 01:15 PM   #35
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Yogurt?! That's a pretty specific fear! LOL!

I don't lock it to the bike often, cause I definitely don't trust people in general... I have had too many things happen to my cars in the past (keyed, convertible top knifed, wiper blades stolen, tire flattened, etc), so I can only imagine what will happen to my bike! So 98% of the time, I just take it with me and hold it... And I have been fine with that so far...

Old February 23rd, 2012, 01:19 PM   #36
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Yogurt?! That's a pretty specific fear! LOL!

I don't lock it to the bike often, cause I definitely don't trust people in general... I have had too many things happen to my cars in the past (keyed, convertible top knifed, wiper blades stolen, tire flattened, etc), so I can only imagine what will happen to my bike! So 98% of the time, I just take it with me and hold it... And I have been fine with that so far...
I don't get what is wrong with people?!!! How can someone do that and not think twice about it. I've wanted to key someones car but never would cause I know how mad/upset I'd be if someone did it to my car.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 01:22 PM   #37
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Mostly jealousy... If you have nice things and other people don't, they will mess up your nice things to make themselves feel better... Or, they're just jerks... Or, both...

Old February 23rd, 2012, 04:29 PM   #38
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

I don't think people are going to holding yogurt and waiting for a helmet to appear on a bike.

Let's get back on the topic of backpack please.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:03 PM   #39
TheJimmyEnglish
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Red

I'd like some interior pictures of that Icon tank bag. I just ordered one and wont have it for about a week.

Old March 8th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #40
TheJimmyEnglish
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Red

So I just had that Icon Urban tank bag for about a week. Couldn't stand it. Unstable on the tank and the straps are insufficient. Sent it back and ordered the Ogio no drag backpack!