ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old September 13th, 2017, 05:50 PM   #1
Capekev
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250R

Re Jet for 96 250r

Where oh where can I find a good set to re jet my carbs? I've pulled the airbox ( which was quite the task) and ordered a K&N 0990 I think. Dual high flow air filter. Anyway, I know its going to take in a lot more air now and I'm pretty sure I need to go with at lease a stage 3 re jet. So where to i begin?
Capekev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2017, 06:35 AM   #2
thumper64
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Stock, the carbs have, I believe, a 98 main and a 38 pilot jet. Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's at least close. It's actually common to up the pilot jet (idle mix) to help with cold starts, even stock

With high flow filters (I have UNI pod filters, just for reference) and after I pulled the baffles out of my stock mufflers, I was running a 110 main and a 42 pilot, with 2 washers under the needles. This actually sounded kind of cool and I noticed some more power.
When I switched to a long Area P muffler on a full exhaust, I went up to a 112 main jet, kept the 42 pilot and went to 3 washers under the needles IIRC, with the same UNI pod filters.

Jetsrus.com sells the jets individually, for around $2 each. It's far cheaper than a kit. The only other thing you need is a small drill bit and screw to pull the small plugs out.

Old November 22nd, 2017, 06:25 PM   #3
1994Ninja250F
‘94 Rider

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): 1994 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper64 View Post
Stock, the carbs have, I believe, a 98 main and a 38 pilot jet. Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's at least close. It's actually common to up the pilot jet (idle mix) to help with cold starts, even stock

With high flow filters (I have UNI pod filters, just for reference) and after I pulled the baffles out of my stock mufflers, I was running a 110 main and a 42 pilot, with 2 washers under the needles. This actually sounded kind of cool and I noticed some more power.
When I switched to a long Area P muffler on a full exhaust, I went up to a 112 main jet, kept the 42 pilot and went to 3 washers under the needles IIRC, with the same UNI pod filters.

Jetsrus.com sells the jets individually, for around $2 each. It's far cheaper than a kit. The only other thing you need is a small drill bit and screw to pull the small plugs out.
They actually come from the factory with #105 mains and a #38 pilot. For the pregens atleast, not sure if they changed that for the 2008+ models.

I run the K&N pod filters with the stock exhaust in Ohio (so basically sea level altitude) and found that #110 mains seem to work best. #108s were decent, but the top end power was lacking, so I went up to a #110 and it was perfect. I *think* I have 2 washers under the needles, can't remember since I did this like 5 years ago. Of course every bike and intake/exhaust setup is different, and you just need to find (through trial and error) which jet/washer combo works best for your bike.

Another thing to make the jetting process more fun than it already is (not really) is thinking about how temperature and altitude factor in to how your bike is going to run. When you are deciding on the day(s) to rejet, pick a day where the weather is reasonably close to the average temperature and average humidity for your particular area. If you don't know what the averages are, just google it. Reason for doing this is the simple fact that the bike will run at it's best MOST OF THE TIME, since you are jetting according to the weather norm for your area. If it's super hot and humid one day, or really cold and dry, the bike may run a little goofy. You might not even notice. But if you are OCD like myself, then you more than likely will. Either way, this is why you rejet on a day with average atmospheric conditions. If you rejet on a day with temperatures/humidity well above/below the norm, you will find that your bike will run like poo most of the time.

And as the above poster said, the kits are a waste of money. You can get the jets from basically any powersports service counter. Get the 108, 110, and 112. The chances of you needing anything higher than a 112 are pretty slim.
1994Ninja250F is offline   Reply With Quote