Old December 8th, 2017, 08:54 AM   #1
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Ninja 400 initial impressions

So I went to the motorcycle show in NYC and got to check out the new Ninjette.

Initial impressions, based only on a walkaround and sitting on it.

- I was skeptical about the H2-derived styling (so sue me... I think the H2 is fugly), but it looks better in person. I don't think it's a timeless classic by any means, but I wouldn't mind owning this bike.

- The front fairing is quite wide, which doesn't really shop up in photos. Makes the bike look bigger than it is.

- Analog tach (yay) plus the now-expected digital dash.

- It's clear that this is a new platform. There are familiar elements -- tube frame, square swingarm -- but beefier forks, a new engine (according to the rep, it's not just a rebore), different clip ons that surround rather than cap the forks, etc. It's been long enough since I owned my Ninjette that I don't remember tiny details vividly, but my impression is that there aren't many (if any) parts that carry over.

- Ergos remain unchanged. Feels very familiar.

- Amenities are nice. There's a spot already on the fairing for a 12v outlet, which is available as a Kawi accessory. They're also offering a tall seat for larger riders (+1 inch) and a tall windscreen. Clearly, they've thought this through.

- They brought four colors: black (yawn), blue that looks like the fastest color (Candy Plasma), the ever-busy KRT graphics, and a rather striking gray/taupe with orange and black graphic accents.

- Same price. That's good and should really give them a solid start.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.