ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 21st, 2011, 09:59 PM   #1
eccsdrei
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

Talking Riding mistakes

Hey guys, I wanted to know what mistakes you might have done while riding that either ended up being really close calls or cost a bit in repairs and generally bruised your ego.
Last year I was not paying attention to the road 100% on a rainy day and I ended up seeing a red light a little to late and I jumped on the brakes and locked the rear which slid out to the right way faster than I could do anything about it and I dropped the bike going somewhere between 25 and 30km/h.
Cost me a new footrest bracket, a nice black scratch in my beautiful red paint job and a swollen elbow (I was fully suited.)
Thanks for your stories.

POI
Andrei P
eccsdrei is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2011, 10:03 PM   #2
kkim

have you taken a safety course? MSF here in the states.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2011, 10:14 PM   #3
eccsdrei
ninjette.org member

Yes I did. It is mandatory in Quebec. I was just in the moon.

Old March 21st, 2011, 10:25 PM   #4
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

The first day I rode a bike (250r) on the street my back wheel began sliding out on a corner due to sand on the road. luckily I regained control immediately and kept going. I have learned while driving that, no matter what vehicle your driving, you must always remain calm. I have had way too many people almost run me off the road in my Chevy tahoe and I have always remained calm, when people panic is when they hurt themselves or others. Over correcting, aggressive driving /riding, slamming on the brakes, etc are all results of an uncalm driver. Everyone sometime in their life will do at least one of those things as a natural reaction because there are so many distractions on the road at once. Luckily I have never been in an accident or gotten any tickets (knock on wood) and I would not classify my driving/riding as being non aggressive. Just being aware of your surroundings makes all the difference in the world.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:43 AM   #5
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Name: AMMOCAN

Motorcycle(s): *SOLD* '10 Kawasaki 250R SE A.K.A. SLIME-R *SOLD*

A few weeks back, I was out riding my friends HD 883 and had a 'ole $h!t moment. I was at a four way stop sign intersection. Out of habit, I had shifted it into neutral, or so I had thought. When it was my turn to go I shifted down into first, but nothing happened! This is where I got myself flustered and rushed things because I was like it's my turn to go!, instead of taking my time and doing things with a clear head and saying f**k everyone else.

What I ended up doing was put it into second gear and as I started to let the clutch out the HD went flying forward and I went flying back! It tried bucking me, but I was able to hang on and stay calm, while closing the throttle, pulling in the clutch, and the brakes. I was able to gain control of the HD without causing any damage to it or myself. However, I have to admit that I was quite embarrassed, but I learned a valuable lesson out of the whole ordeal and that is to never ever let someone or something dictate what you do.

Yes, it was I who screwed up and shifted it into second. However, if I would have just taken my time to figure things out instead of letting myself feel rushed by others, then I would have made for sure that I was in first gear instead of frantically shifting to find first and end up in second and then almost getting bucked off.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:15 AM   #6
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Go to 600rr.net forum, Crash/Boom/Bang section...
You'll learn a lot, and see a lot.
Most frequent is failing to anticipate a left-turning cager.
Another popular one is over-riding your field of vision.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:17 AM   #7
trex
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 250r '08 Candy Plasma (best) Blue

2nd week i had my bike it had just finished raining...sped up to catch a left arrow and ended up taking it a little fast....got a rear end wobble but was able to save it
trex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2011, 06:08 AM   #8
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Close call from riding in a group and pushing harder than I should have. Rear wheel of the 250 hit some wet pine needles and started to come around.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2011, 06:13 AM   #9
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

First time I pulled off the road onto a grassy shoulder I used the front brake at normal strength. Minor damage, luckily grass is soft. I've bobbled the throttle and clutch coordination sequence several times, mainly in the first few months. Had I been on a modern 600 it would have ended badly. Very badly. Mainly just first time near misses, like first time I rode as the rain just started after along dry spell. The gust front hit me from the right side and I started sliding to the left on a surface with zero traction due to oil just starting to float on the first rain drops. I kept it upright but was two lanes over into the left turn lane before the wind stopped blowing and I stopped sliding sideways. First time to ride in extreme wind conditions (40 mph sustained with gusts over 50) I almost low-sided on the freeway at 70 when the wind got under my right side and unloaded the suspension enough to cause the front tire to hop over to the left a foot. Lesson? Slow down! So I did.

So far I've been good about not overdriving my abilities on day to day riding, no cooked corners, no stoppies, that sort of thing, but then again I ride to get there alive rather than ride to beat some imaginary course record.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2011, 06:13 AM   #10
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Just yesterday, I was fast-approaching the final traffic light before heading out of town - way too fast . Light switched to yellow so I applied front and back brakes.

It was subtle because I was traveling straight as an arrow, but I could sense that the rear end was sliding. I stayed surprisingly calm and applied more front.

Looking back, I had left about 30 feet of tread and then it hit me. I got lucky and need to slow the F#$@ down!

Old March 22nd, 2011, 06:40 AM   #11
PsychoNinja
Ninja Dog

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

2-3 weeks after getting my bike, I was driving around my neighborhood and I was turning right to turn into my driveway. Turned the handlebars too far for the speed that I was going. I felt my bike starting to pitch violently and about to go down. I grabbed a fistful of front brake and caught the bike from going over with my legs, while simultaneously smashing the boys into the gas tank.

After preventing the fall, I pulled into my driveway and got off my bike to compose myself and to make sure the boys were okay.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:47 AM   #12
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
The list is way too long.

I can assure you it has nothing to do with alcohol, riding way too fast, acting like an idiot, or any other foolish circumstance.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:25 PM   #13
eccsdrei
ninjette.org member

You guys are great.
PsychoNinja, that is some really funny sh*t. LOL I also experienced boys problems but that is because of the great quality of the streets in Montreal.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:31 PM   #14
maxwellca21
ninjette.org member

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccsdrei View Post
Yes I did. It is mandatory in Quebec. I was just in the moon.
really? i wish its mandatory here in the US...see too many douche bag out here that can see a lesson.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 02:28 PM   #15
Darling Ninja
ninjette.org guru

Name: Annette

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellca21 View Post
really? i wish its mandatory here in the US...see too many douche bag out here that can see a lesson.
I'm pretty sure it's mandatory in Florida.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 02:31 PM   #16
Darling Ninja
ninjette.org guru

Name: Annette

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 ABS

My biggest mistake thus far is that I followed behind an SUV too closely. The light turned red and she slammed on her brakes. I rear ended her as I was trying to get around her car to change lanes. I was going less than 10 MPH.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 02:35 PM   #17
kkim

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...isltn/laws.asp
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2011, 03:03 PM   #18
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

My biggest mistake was being stupid.

When I was 22 or something, I saved up and boughty myself my very own bike! It just so happened that I didn't know anything about bikes and ended buying a Ninja 600. I said "heh, I know how to ride a bike and shift, how hard can it be?" With no gear (helmet is mandatory however), no training I took it out for a spin around the neighbourhood. I did all right till I came to a T-junction (I had the stop sign) and decided to take a left hand turn instead of a right...gave it a bit too much throttle and just about ended in the ditch...actually the bike was in the ditch. Once some friendly folk came and helped me get it out, I rode back home, parked it and sold it. A couple of years later I took the Motorcycle safety course, then 2 years later I bought a Ninja 250.

And I'm perfectly content with the 250.

Old March 24th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #19
eccsdrei
ninjette.org member

That's it only so few are big enough to admit they made mistakes?
Come on guys don't be shy.

Old March 24th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #20
onizthegnome
certified newbie

Name: oniz

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r blue

ive locked my rear tire a couple times, going too fast and then braking too late and too hard. this caused my rear to skid left and right but i am so glad i havent crashed. there are some other times when ive accidentally shifted into neutral from not kicking up hard enough making my bike go VROOOOOOM lol. makes me feel like a total noob.

Old March 26th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #21
bhalv
ninjette.org member

Name: brent

Motorcycle(s): 93 ninja 250

using the front break in a turn
bhalv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #22
bhalv
ninjette.org member

Name: brent

Motorcycle(s): 93 ninja 250

oh! and forgetting to inspect the bike before riding and having it leak brake fluid all over the front rotor....
bhalv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2011, 10:20 PM   #23
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

Last weekend I almost dumped my bike (Suzuki GSXF600 - 442-lb dry weight, about 500-lb curb). I managed to yank it back from 30% off the vertical, but it disabled my left shoulder and arm for half an hour. What caused the near-dump was that I stopped the bike when it was still doing the last few feet of a left curve - the bike's center of gravity keeps on going in a straight line, and the front tire is pulling the bottom of the bike to the left, so the upper part of the bike falls to the right.

Never bring a bike to a full stop unless and until it is already going straight.
Anthony_marr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 03:52 AM   #24
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Rubber necking as I passed by a Hooters Girls car wash

Old April 4th, 2011, 07:42 AM   #25
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
It's always safer to just stop!

Old April 4th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #26
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
Are you allowed to stay on the bike if they wash your bike???
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 08:49 AM   #27
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

i've got road rash scars in four places, three street (2 going down,one scraping wall) and once from moroso track scraping a wall AND going down. So many controlled skids i can't count and a few too many uncontroled where i kept her up and was lucky not to be in traffic. All are based on lack of cornering skills and panic as a young or just back to biking neophyte. I am a prodigious backer of gear. See y'all spend thousands on mods bot don't wear vanson or some equal clothiers gear. On a 250 mods are an unjustified luxury if you can have one of the two. Glad to be alive, the Dog.
Just saw "lady t-boned me" post and it reminded me of being 18 and getting t-boned by the old "I didn't see him" lady. My head and elbow went through the wind shield and i sli down the road a small mite. I was smart enough to totally relax after straining both brakes and dropping as many gears as i could and letting out the clutch as time allowed. Once again GEAR, and this was in 1976 when gear wasn't in a bikers vernacular. It saved my life; Schott $99 leather jacket (now $400), Bell helmet (only ones available i think), 14 oz. jeans and black HD biker boots and gloves (with fingers actually). Saved my life that in that one.

Last futzed with by coondog; April 4th, 2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: more storyline
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #28
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Oh, let me count the ways...........

Old April 4th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #29
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

There was a harley rider in front of me with long blond hair, I thought it was a girl.... my mistake.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #30
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab305 View Post
There was a harley rider in front of me with long blond hair, I thought it was a girl.... my mistake.

Old April 4th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #31
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Quote:
You can never be sure these days.

And to those who are wondering, it IS MANDATORY in the state of florida. But thats good because a lot of people here get their license out of the bottom of a cereal box. x-\
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #32
maraci
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Green Ninja 250r

Had one close call where I didnt notice the back up from a red light further ahead because the truck in front of me was quite tall and he stopped suddenly. The traffic had been dense and I hadn't been going very fast and was able to break in time without locking the rear or the front. Was a shaky moment though and gave me a bit of a fright.

Another time my rear skidded out in a small tight turn. I was able to pull the bike back up and give it some throttle to get back up straight. felt like skidding on a bicycle.

I've only been riding for 2 months so I'm sure many more will come. hopefully I react just the same. Prevention is key! I got to keep that in mind always
maraci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #33
bbbrandy19
Ninja Lover!

Name: Beast

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Quote:

hahahahahahhah! that one cracked me up!

Old April 5th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #34
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
It's always safer to just stop!
Just as long as that car wash does not front on a curved road. As I've pointed out, I almost dumped my bike by stopping too suddenly while still in a curve. Such stops are bound to be knee-jerk stops, and he will be dumped. The Hooters Girls wouldn't be too impressed.
Anthony_marr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #35
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
The list is way too long.

I can assure you it has nothing to do with alcohol, riding way too fast, acting like an idiot, or any other foolish circumstance.
Yeah, long list... Never any alcohol thou Always an idiot
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #36
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by coondog View Post
once from moroso track scraping a wall AND going down. .
That track is way to dangerous.

Quote:
The question is, at what point did you find out it was not a girl?

Old April 7th, 2011, 04:09 AM   #37
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

I totalled my first '08 Ninja entering a nasty sand & gravel-filled curve while riding with CC Cowboy in RI a couple of years back. I was following him and I think I was so mesmerized by his awesome bike handling skills that I neglected to see that the curve in front of me was covered with debris. By the time I saw CC pointing to the hazard (of course he made it through it unscathed) I was already in it and rapidly running out of options. I would have walked away from the lowside if a piece of the bike hadn't punctured a 1" hole in my knee on the way down.
That experiance taught me a lot of things like the danger of unfamiliar roads, what can happen when you're not always paying attention to the road surface, not to ride above your skill level when riding with a more experianced rider and to beware of overconfidence when someone is ahead of you blazing the trail, among other things. Now that I think back, it was probably the most educational ride I've ever had.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 06:19 AM   #38
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

Just one on an older enduro. DO NOT TRY TO POWER SHOT YOUR SELF ON OLD CRAPPY BIKE. I was in 5th entering a courner at like 45 - 50 did it everyday for like 2 months on my way to work.

Well when I down shifted to 4th the bike when to 1st and I'm sure you can guess the rest.

I was pretty lucky that I only slid about 20ft
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #39
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
You can never be sure these days.

And to those who are wondering, it IS MANDATORY in the state of florida. But thats good because a lot of people here get their license out of the bottom of a cereal box. x-\
It is now. You have to take the Basic Rider Course. However, the course doesn't teach how not to be stupid... And many riders down here have learned that in great amounts before they ever take the course.

Old April 15th, 2011, 10:02 PM   #40
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Ok, so I am super embarrassed and almost ashamed to tell you all what I am about to tell you, but I am a man, although one with a scarred pride right at this moment, and can man up to my own mistakes.

So, my morning started out with a nice and joyful ride to the University on SLIME-R. Then this afternoon, when I was about to leave the campus, a guy approached me asking all kinds of intriguing questions about SLIME-R, BRC, etc. I had a pleasant conversation with him trying to answer all his questions and then recommended he check out our forum. If he/you are reading this, then I would like to apologize for not remembering your name, as I am extremely terrible with names. Anyhow, it turns out he is an Engineering professor and is going to take his BRC in the next week or so, and is interested in purchasing a '08+ Ninja 250R.

So, after finishing our conversation I hop on SLIME-R and head home. During the ride home I had spotted a potential danger proficiently, as I spotted an old woman driving in the right lane while I was in the left lane. Due to her age, barely able to see over the steering wheel, and not paying attention, I knew that for some reason she was going to turn into my lane! So, I slowed down and moved into the median/turning lane, as I had no where else to go. Sure enough, before I can finish moving over the old lady moved right into my lane without signaling, checking her mirrors, etc. I had to slow down even more so than I already had, but I knew it was coming thank goodness.

I honked my horn at her and she didn't even budge. So, now I am behind her and it wasn't until we reached a red light where I noticed a younger woman in the back motioning to me to say sorry and see if I was alright. I nodded and the first chance I got I moved away from her.

I am now feeling good about myself, as my training kicked in and I was able to avoid what could have been an ugly incident. So, I am now just about home and I pull into my parking lot. I come in straight in first gear and make a turn to the left in order to eventually put SLIME-R in neutral and back her up into her parking spot. Once I made the turn I am now straightening her out to get ready to start backing her up.

Well, this is where things get weird! As I am about to put her in neutral and shut her off, my freaking Xena Disc Alarm, which is in my Icon backpack, starts to GO OFF! Well, let me just say that was the last thing I would have ever expected and it startled the heck out of me. Enough so, that I lost my concentration an balance and off I went! I ended up tipping SLIME-R and myself over on our left side. It was the most heart crushing and humiliating thing that I have experienced in quite an extremely long time! Gas started leaking out, which I instantly hit the kill switch and picked SLIME-R and myself up.

Ok, the damage! Well, besides scarring my pride a little I was perfectly fine. SLIME-R however is out of commission for now. The left turn signal broke, but fortunately I believe I have a spare to fix that one, or at least I have one that I purchased in a pair earlier to use as parts for the right one, which had it's lens cover fall off. The fairings have minor scratches, as well as the bar end, foot rest, and clutch lever. However, the serious problem that I have is that my shift lever is bent inwards, which I am unable to bend back with the tools I have available. It's bent so bad that I am unable to use it at this point. I am afraid that even if I was able to bend it back in place, that it would create such a weak point that I would risk breaking it completely later on if not then.

So, now I am trying to figure out how I want to approach getting this fixed. Tomorrow is Saturday, so that means if I want to pick up the lever at a dealership I would need to do it then otherwise I will have to wait until Tuesday. However, I am not sure right now how much they are going to charge me if they even have it in stock, as they were not open by then time I took care of SLIME-R and put her to rest for the day.

Well, there is my first official dumb-ass mishap with SLIME-R and I am hoping it will be my last. I am still not quite sure what made my alarm go off in my backpack, as that has never happened before. However, I am not sure if it was due to the impact or what, but when I opened my backpack to check on it the complete bottom part was off. I re-assymbled it and it seems to be working alright now, but boy what a complete eye opener!