ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 26th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #1
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Bike won't start after the rain >_<

Argh, sorry to hit everyone with another bike won't start thread, but I can't find any more possible fixes online and my service manual isn't helping. This might be long, but I'm going to try to be as detailed as possible:

So, last Sunday, it was pouring really heavily (for socal anyways- 5 inches in a single day), and I stupidly didn't cover my bike. The next day, it wasn't raining anymore, and I started it up, it idled fine, and I was able to take it to school no problem. On the way back, however, it started fine again- but after I got off the freeway, it started bogging really badly taking off from first and trying to get through second gear. It would act like it wanted to die no matter how much throttle I gave it, then suddenly it would just start accelerating normally, and it seemed totally fine and normal as soon as I got into 3rd-6th gear still.

So, the next day I went to fire it up again, and it just would not stay alive. As it is right now, with a fully charged battery (I had to recharge it 3 times now from trying to start it after an attempt to fix something- I got my battery tested when I first started having issues and the guy at cycle gear said it was good. Hopefully it still is :/), it will start to turn over, like, I'll hear the engine trying to idle and the tach will register maybe up to 1000 rpms for about a second, and then it'll just die again.

Other potentially important things to note: installed a full system exhaust and installed the needles/washers and #98 jets from a dynojet stage 2 kit 2 weeks prior. It had been seemingly running better than ever for those 2 weeks prior, but stormy day or not, I don't know if that could also contribute to not being able to even start it up now. Also, there are 3 tubes on the side of the gas tank near the front, and none of them are actually connected to anything. I can't find anything they could or should be connected to, but I just thought I'd mention those just in case.

So far, I have tried: changing the spark plugs- old ones looked like this (That's some manner of white corrosion on the nut/base/ring on the one on the left):

cleaned/dried/re-oiled the air filter (it was dripping when I took it out)
Drained the gas tank and replaced it with fresh gas (There seemed to be maybe a cups worth of water mixed in with the 4 gallons or so I had in the tank at the time after it settled and separated in a container)
checked the fuses, and tried adjusting the idle/choke while trying to start it
And still nothing's changed.

Is there anything else water could have screwed up? Or just any other shots in the dark that I could try before I go under the mercy of a mechanic?
So much for going to the track next weekend T_T
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Mine has been ridden in every rain storm we've had and continued to start even when I had water in the gauges from rotted rubber around the trip-meter reset button. The gauges acted weird until I dried them out. The only other issue I've had was once when rain caused the tank to cool and form a vacuum, stopping gas flow and causing me to stall at a l.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #3
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
The only other issue I've had was once when rain caused the tank to cool and form a vacuum, stopping gas flow and causing me to stall at a l.
But you were able to restart it after stalling fine? I didn't have any problems at all until it sat in 24 hours of uncharacteristically hard wind and rain, so I thought there was a good chance something could have gotten wet that shouldn't have somehow. But I don't know anything else to try. And while I don't want to rule out jetting, I also don't want to open the carbs and try to figure out what needs to change in there so it can start again, unless there's a good chance that that's actually the ticket.

Old March 26th, 2011, 05:11 PM   #4
kkim

did you drain the carb bowls? if not, it sounds like some of the water from the tank made its way down to the carbs and the water is sitting on the bottom of the bowls. drain the bowls while flushing the carbs by turning the petcock to prime. That will insure you have fresh gas into the carbs. does it start?

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Draining_the_carbs
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #5
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Ah, I didn't even think about the gas in the carbs. I'll try that right now and hope for the best

Old March 26th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #6
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

I. Absolutely. Love you

Yep, it looks like it was just water still in the carbs. The left drain screw was a bitch to get to, but after a good, thorough flush, it hesitated for a few cranks, then roared to life <3 Haha, too awesome. I was stumped and frustrated all day, and this was all I had to do. Oh well, I guess I got in some extra maintenance

Seriously, Thanks so so so so so so SOOOOOOO much

Old March 26th, 2011, 06:27 PM   #7
kkim

Ah, shucks!

glad to hear you've got it up and running and it was something relatively minor.

have fun
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post
But you were able to restart it after stalling fine? I didn't have any problems at all until it sat in 24 hours of uncharacteristically hard wind and rain, so I thought there was a good chance something could have gotten wet that shouldn't have somehow. But I don't know anything else to try. And while I don't want to rule out jetting, I also don't want to open the carbs and try to figure out what needs to change in there so it can start again, unless there's a good chance that that's actually the ticket.
I actually had to push it a mile to a gas station because opening the lid would have let water in. Also, I hadn't figured out what caused those stalls at that point. Basically, every couple of thousand miles I would have a stall a few blocks from where I started. The only common thread was that the bike was fully warmed up, allowed to cool for a little while, like when I stopped at a store or something, and then ran it hard again (already being fully warm). Oh, and it would start again several minutes later after I checked my fuel level and everything else. Basically, it would happen any time the tank would cool even though the engine was warm and ready to run full-throttle.

It was the only time the cooling was rain-related. I warmed it up before the end of my shift so that I could be ready to leave immediately in an attempt to beat the rain home. Unfortunately, the rain started pouring just as I hopped on the already running/fully-warm bike. I only lived 10-15 minutes away. I tried to restart it occasionally during the long push in the rain and almost ran my battery dead by the time I got to a covered gas station and added gas (thus, breaking the vacuum).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2011, 06:30 AM   #9
RedCromwell
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250

Man, is there anything kkim doesn't know?!
RedCromwell is offline   Reply With Quote