ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 25th, 2009, 01:25 AM   #1
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

Name: gitoy

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250, 05 zzr 600 (sold), 07 cbr600rr

midnight ride...

it has been so hot in l.a. that it is no fun riding during the day, hovering in the 100s...so i went for a midnight run...

nice balmy ride and had the switchbacks and twisties in palos verdes drive east all to myself...found out my high beam is gone but no problem, i know this road like the back of my hand...i was outrunning the low beam but i was using the center line and reflectors to guide me...put in 50 miles grinning from ear to ear and almost run over a rabbit...

anybody else do night rides?...can running over a rabbit cause you to crash?...
gitoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2009, 01:52 AM   #2
emt250
2 Wheel Newb

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

I love riding at night. Nice and cool and there is almost no traffic. As for hitting animals, im pretty sure that hitting a rabbit could cause you to crash. Hopefully some of the more veteran riders can chime in on that, though, as I'm still a newbie.

Old September 25th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #3
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

depends how you hit it

this guy hit a deer and didn't wipe out

Link to original page on YouTube.

karlosdajackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2009, 03:17 AM   #4
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I can't recall ever getting a rabbit, though close. I've notched up a possum, a big 'ol coon (this one scared me the most), a couple squirrel, a crow and though I didn't actually hit it cos it landed on my arms and lap, a deer. I went down with the deer as it pretty much landed on me and knocked me over but no crashes with any of the others.

I won't do a lot to miss a small animal, slow down and minor swerving and that's about it... no hard core evasive maneuvers. I'd rather hit it than crash trying to avoid it.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2009, 05:57 AM   #5
tjkamper
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Riding at night is fun. It can get chilly, but it is entertaining as hell.

I've never hit any animals, I've missed raccoons squirrels and skunks. Thank God I missed the skunk.

Old September 25th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #6
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdajackal View Post
depends how you hit it

this guy hit a deer and didn't wipe out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZAjJ-g0UDw
holy **** he hit the dear and lost parts of his fairings in the process and didnt wipe out

night riding is fun, only did it a few times but they have been the most fun probably.
almost hit a few small animals when i first got the bike so i got to practice some emergency maneuvers at low speeds but i would definitely think if you tried to go directly over a rabbit you might have a problem, dont want to be the one to find out though

Old September 25th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #7
Jerry
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

At night I've hit:
Two possums, several bats, one raccoon, and once a pine marten hit me in the foot.
Another time a "rock" in the road became a dove and flushed into my helmet.

Deer seem to be most active when the moon is full, predators seem to be most active when it's darkest. Bears don't care...

In the daytime, I've only hit a few birds.

Hitting a small animal head on isn't that bad, I barely felt them.

Some near misses with:
Deer, baby wild pig, bears, skunks, foxes.

Two full panic stops for Mama Bears with cubs, and one Panic Slo-and-Go with a Really Big Bear that crossed the road at a dead run...

Riding at night requires that you slow down, and really stay sharp...Do not outpace your reaction time or headlights.

Also, the road surface is really hard to read in the headlights. Surface hazards like sand, oil, and edge traps may be invisible.

At night, I take a dirt riders mentality: Keep the bike more upright, use more body positioning, and more bias toward rear wheel braking.

For me, it's a time to cruise, not a time for aggressive riding.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #8
empire00
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r SE, 2015 FJ-09

i hit a deer square in shoulder. endoed the bike broke wrist, bike landed on ankle tearing ligaments, bike did about 4 cartwheels, i hit it at the top of a hill and fell about 15 feet down landing in the valley on the pavement. bike was 6 days old less than 500 miles.
empire00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #9
ScorpionNinja
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitoy View Post
it has been so hot in l.a. that it is no fun riding during the day, hovering in the 100s...so i went for a midnight run...

anybody else do night rides?...can running over a rabbit cause you to crash?...
Well back in early May this spring i was riding at 11pm at night. Was going for a ride with the idea of cruising by my grandmas old house/lake she lived at! (she passed away in 1991 when i was 14)
Then a DEER jumped out in front of me, missing me by 2-3' (no joke), i lived. Heh, then not 5mins down the road After that DEER.... i saw 2 pair of lil' glowing eyes... as they hopped across the road just at max headlight range! Suddenly as i see a 3rd lil' pair of glowing eyes appear on the rightside edge of the road... it was too late! Damn lil' bunny tried to make it across, i dunno if he got ran over, but i felt him fly up and hit into my right foot/footpeg!

Poor lil guy... least i didnt wipe out! So, ummm no a rabbit wont cause you too wipe out... hmmm unless your going 50MPH in a very hard Lean around a sharp corner... and Bugs bunny ends up getting flattened by your Rear Tire?
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2009, 01:57 AM   #10
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

Name: gitoy

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250, 05 zzr 600 (sold), 07 cbr600rr

well, just got back from another night run...57 mile twisty ride except this time i had the zzr600 with the hid...sure lit up the night......a couple of cars with hid had the same idea...man was that awesome...
gitoy is offline   Reply With Quote