Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 2nd, 2014, 03:20 PM   #1
Baron
Urban Legend

Name: Baron

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE - Circe

A boot-y question[Not that kind but, made you look!!]

Okay so now that I have your attention.
Quick question guys, I am looking for a pair of riding boots/shoes[My preference would be boots but let's see]. I would continue to wear my swat leather boots but I'm seeing some wear on the left one because of shifting. However my budget isn't huge, I would say CAD 175 - 200.
2 things to consider though:-
1. I will be riding to work where I would need to wear them for about 6 hours. Ideally I would want something that I wouldn't have me carrying my swat boots in my bag but I would if I have to.
2. I live in Canada, so if I order something from the states, I'll have to take into account the import tax too, so if someone can point a good Canadian Store where I can get those from, it'd be awesome otherwise I'm looking to order from revzilla.

A few that I am considering:-
Not exactly boots but they fall in my price range and I won't really have to take them off at work.
Speed and Strength Moment of Truth Shoes

Cortech Latigo Air RR Boots

Old July 2nd, 2014, 03:52 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

If the actual requirement is that they must provide effective protection while on the bike, and also be comfortable enough to walk around in for many hours while at work, your options are limited. Everything will be a compromise on one or the other. I wonder if it would make more sense to leave some work shoes at work, allowing you to then choose your motorcycle gear to suit what it's good for; protecting you while on the motorcycle.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 03:54 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
^^^

i leave shoes at work and just switch shoes when i get there.

Old July 2nd, 2014, 04:03 PM   #4
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
If the actual requirement is that they must provide effective protection while on the bike, and also be comfortable enough to walk around in for many hours while at work, your options are limited. Everything will be a compromise on one or the other. I wonder if it would make more sense to leave some work shoes at work, allowing you to then choose your motorcycle gear to suit what it's good for; protecting you while on the motorcycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
^^^

i leave shoes at work and just switch shoes when i get there.
I already leave my blazer ,my jacket, my coffee and my uniform shirt at work[supervisor's privilege] ...I guess a pair of boots won't make that much of a difference.

That being said, going strictly for riding boots that are good for me to walk in for a bit, would the Cortech's be okay or should I go for something else?

Old July 2nd, 2014, 04:25 PM   #5
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

Revzilla is where I buy my gear. I have the Latigo race boots and their comfy if you have wide feet. But if you want something to walk around with at work, I would go with the "Moment of Truth Shoes". Someone left oil in the middle of the road when I low sided wearing the Latigos. Cortech came through with the protection I needed. If you want maximum protection, you know what to pick.
BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2014, 04:35 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
I already leave my blazer ,my jacket, my coffee and my uniform shirt at work[supervisor's privilege] ...I guess a pair of boots won't make that much of a difference.

That being said, going strictly for riding boots that are good for me to walk in for a bit, would the Cortech's be okay or should I go for something else?
i have never tried those cortechs. but i have a pair of a* smx5 boots that have lasted 4 crashes over about 4 years span and i still wear them almost every day. i know other people who have had similar success with smx5s. probably time for a new pair though for me.... i would recommend those.

Old July 2nd, 2014, 04:41 PM   #7
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBO View Post
Revzilla is where I buy my gear. I have the Latigo race boots and their comfy if you have wide feet. But if you want something to walk around with at work, I would go with the "Moment of Truth Shoes". Someone left oil in the middle of the road when I low sided wearing the Latigos. Cortech came through with the protection I needed. If you want maximum protection, you know what to pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i have never tried those cortechs. but i have a pair of a* smx5 boots that have lasted 4 crashes over about 4 years span and i still wear them almost every day. i know other people who have had similar success with smx5s. probably time for a new pair though for me.... i would recommend those.

Now those look great, but that'd be stretching my range, something which I am rather reluctant to do right now.
I guess I'll go with the Cortechs for now. I'd rather get my feet some decent protection and either lug around my other pair or keep them at work than going for something that doesn't offer that.

Old July 2nd, 2014, 05:50 PM   #8
Baron
Urban Legend

And ordered!
I didn't want to think about it too much.
No more of this :

Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:06 PM   #9
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

smx-5 is another good brand and actually a bit better than the Latigo in my opinion. However, it was out of my budget at the time. For 150 plus bucks, it's not gonna get any better than the Latigo's. It's the best deal for the price. I can't wait to get the latigo race suit though.
BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2014, 10:57 AM   #10
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
I purchased from RevZilla. TCX x-cube boots. Pretty comfy. $130 from RevZilla. Any opinions on this brand? It's pretty sturdy and protects the ankles in my opinion (or am I way off?)

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-x-cube-boots
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2014, 11:19 AM   #11
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

The Cortech Latigos saved me in a lowside. If you ride twisty back roads something like them is a must.

Old July 4th, 2014, 11:51 AM   #12
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I keep a pair of dress shoes in the office and swap a pair of Alpinestar Stage boots for these when I arrive at work. Works well.

I bought the boots used off Craigslist for $30 about four years ago and they are still in good shape because I only use them for riding, not walking.

Old July 4th, 2014, 01:07 PM   #13
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
If you wait a few days I'm about to own both, the latigos are in the mail right now est. arrival tomorrow.

That said, if you're walking around all day I'd go with the S&S I wear those when I head to school and tend to wear them for upwards of 6 hours per day when I do so. They are a compromise on protection.

dammit you already chose, oh well I'll leave that there rather than deleting it. The cortechs will offer a ton more protection for sure, particularly to the ankles. I'm looking forward to wearing mine for pleasure oriented rides through the countryside and track
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2014, 01:50 PM   #14
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
If you wait a few days I'm about to own both, the latigos are in the mail right now est. arrival tomorrow.

That said, if you're walking around all day I'd go with the S&S I wear those when I head to school and tend to wear them for upwards of 6 hours per day when I do so. They are a compromise on protection.

dammit you already chose, oh well I'll leave that there rather than deleting it. The cortechs will offer a ton more protection for sure, particularly to the ankles. I'm looking forward to wearing mine for pleasure oriented rides through the countryside and track

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
I keep a pair of dress shoes in the office and swap a pair of Alpinestar Stage boots for these when I arrive at work. Works well.

I bought the boots used off Craigslist for $30 about four years ago and they are still in good shape because I only use them for riding, not walking.
Reason I was looking for something that would server both purposes was that I wear my swat boots everywhere, not just to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
I purchased from RevZilla. TCX x-cube boots. Pretty comfy. $130 from RevZilla. Any opinions on this brand? It's pretty sturdy and protects the ankles in my opinion (or am I way off?)

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-x-cube-boots
I thought of going for those myself but I didn't fancy how they looked. xD

Old July 4th, 2014, 08:35 PM   #15
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post

the site was down, threw off my whole posting schedule

Old July 6th, 2014, 02:24 PM   #16
Baron
Urban Legend

So......given that this was a long weekend for people in the states, my new boots won't get here for some time. Till that time, I'll be wearing my swat boots while riding and I was wondering if you guys had any tips for protecting the vamp of the left boot from shifting?

Old July 6th, 2014, 03:22 PM   #17
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
^ I just got mine, the cortechs are infinitely better than the S&S shoes in terms of protection and are alright to walk in so long as it isn't for an extended period of time.

Old July 7th, 2014, 01:39 PM   #18
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
^ I just got mine, the cortechs are infinitely better than the S&S shoes in terms of protection and are alright to walk in so long as it isn't for an extended period of time.
Awesome. I actually ordered Cortech Latigo Waterproof RR Boot instead if the air model[barely 10$ more]. According to the reviews it'll be a bit warm but I don't mind that as much as I would water going in. xD

Old August 5th, 2014, 10:31 PM   #19
MagicMike
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250J

I wear SMX2's. All of the riding instructors where I go wear them all day every day, on and off the bikes.
MagicMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #20
krapzed
ninjette.org member

Name: Park

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja ZX6R / 2010 Ninja 250r (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMike View Post
I wear SMX2's. All of the riding instructors where I go wear them all day every day, on and off the bikes.
Smx2's are very good riding shoes and comfortable if riding a 250/300. Didnt worked well when i upgraded to 636 because of the 'heat' hence shifted to full race boot.
krapzed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2014, 09:10 PM   #21
MagicMike
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250J

Quote:
Originally Posted by krapzed View Post
Smx2's are very good riding shoes and comfortable if riding a 250/300. Didnt worked well when i upgraded to 636 because of the 'heat' hence shifted to full race boot.
I still use them daily on my 1000rr
MagicMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2014, 07:58 AM   #22
Baron
Urban Legend

Forgot to update this. I got my Latigo's some time ago and I absolutely love them.
It hardly took a day to break in. It did feel rather strange to wear something like this at first, however now I don't feel comfortable taking them off, even if it means carrying another pair of sneakers/boots for gym/work in the bag with me.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.