ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old May 23rd, 2010, 05:51 PM   #1
davelhunter

Just finished installing a 7" monitor & rearview camera

I just finished my project for the weekend. A 7" monitor with rear view camera. I custom made a bracket out of 1" aluminum and mounted it just in front of the gas tank and attached it to the frame. I then took one of the extra mounts from my GoPro digital camera and attached it to the back of the monitor, put a molex connector for power so now I have an easily removable screen. I used a rear back up camera from ebay that came with a license plate bracket and just cut it with a hacksaw to fit in the undertail section just between my rear LED turn signals. Overall I am really very with the install. It works perfectly even in direct sunlight. I previously tired this with a touchscreen Garmin that had a video input but it was almost impossible to view in the sunlight so I got rid of it. Now I have my Iphone mounted above the gauges for GPS and the monitor mounted down below for rear view. I am still going to use my rear view mirrors, but now I have no blind spots at all! If anyone wants more details I would be happy to share exactly how I did everything in more detail and if anyone in SoCal wants to do this mod I would be happy to help. Here are some pics. Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2258.jpg (81.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2255.jpg (86.3 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2260.jpg (64.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2249.jpg (68.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2271.jpg (74.0 KB, 40 views)

Old May 23rd, 2010, 05:54 PM   #2
davelhunter

more pics

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2264.jpg (75.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2273.jpg (74.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2274.jpg (70.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2275.jpg (59.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2276.jpg (58.4 KB, 24 views)

Old May 23rd, 2010, 06:02 PM   #3
xtrapsi

Name: Gregg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 300 ABS

Cool mod!
I thought about doing the same thing but wasn't sure how to tackle the monitor problem.
xtrapsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:20 PM   #4
03slime250
ninjette.org member

Name: dakota

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

wow, too cool
03slime250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:48 PM   #5
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Great mod mate, but consider getting a case/cover for it.

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2010, 12:19 AM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

You can jailbreak your phone to have video output ("Resupported") and a horizontal home screen (rotation supported). You can even use other apps, like PlaceToggle, to enable/disable home-screen rotation and auto-lock when you enable/disable your custom "motorcycle mode." You can even turn off the iPhone's backlight without locking it.

If I were you, I'd do this and use a momentary switch to switch between rear view and iPhone on the bright, sunlight-visible display.

What display is it, BTW? Does it support S-Video?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2010, 03:42 AM   #7
binlagin
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2005 CBR600RR

Have you tried this yourself? I ran into a world of hurt when i tried using video on other devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
You can jailbreak your phone to have video output ("Resupported") and a horizontal home screen (rotation supported). You can even use other apps, like PlaceToggle, to enable/disable home-screen rotation and auto-lock when you enable/disable your custom "motorcycle mode." You can even turn off the iPhone's backlight without locking it.

If I were you, I'd do this and use a momentary switch to switch between rear view and iPhone on the bright, sunlight-visible display.

2005 CBR600RR - 2:19 Calabogie Motorsports Park, Ontario, Canada
binlagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2010, 03:56 AM   #8
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

Does it mirror image automaticaly or you have to realize what's on your left is actually on your right?

Old May 24th, 2010, 04:22 AM   #9
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Cool deal. A guy I ride with modded his tank with a fiberglass encolosure where he flush mounted his screen.

He gets a "fix it" ticket several times a year. "Video screen within view of the operator". Under VA law, he's in the wrong. He unplugs the camera, removes the cover with screen, and goes to court. The next day, he puts his add on back on.

Anyone wanting to do this, make sure it's legal where your bike is registered and licensed.

Old May 24th, 2010, 05:10 AM   #10
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Very cool setup. Let us know how the monitor holds up to vibration and heat.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2010, 07:38 AM   #11
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Great idea. Can you hook it up to a recording device for playback video of your rides?
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2010, 08:16 AM   #12
QuarterBoreNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): Why do you care?

A most interesting mod... I've been riding for years and I guess I'm getting old, I love to ride motorcycles so I can get away from garbage like phones and video screens, not take them with me... But that's the fun of riding, doing the mods that work the best for each of us...
QuarterBoreNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #13
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I want one that does DVD's as well.

Old May 24th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #14
davelhunter

It does a "mirror image" so the left side of the screen is what is actually on your left, etc. Since I am in Socal and I only see rain maybe 3-5 days per year, I am simply going to disconnect it if it rains.

Old May 24th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #15
vollrathdude
ninjette.org member

Name: jordan

Motorcycle(s): '09 250r se

thats cool as balls, good job
vollrathdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #16
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by binlagin View Post
Have you tried this yourself? I ran into a world of hurt when i tried using video on other devices
I don't have the cables for it. iPhone only supports video out in certain apps with a specific cable but I hear that Resupported, a commercial app for jailbroken iPhones, will allow it to work with any ipod AV cable in any app including the homescreen. Is that the problem you were having?

Old May 25th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #17
rceezy
Lean Me

Name: RC

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Very neat! I wish I were technologically inclined.
rceezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #18
Tigress
Musical Genius

Name: Belinda

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R Blue AKA "The Kid" 08 Vulcan 900 Classic Blue(for now) AKA "Honey"

Likey Likey!!!
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #19
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
Cool deal. A guy I ride with modded his tank with a fiberglass encolosure where he flush mounted his screen.

He gets a "fix it" ticket several times a year. "Video screen within view of the operator". Under VA law, he's in the wrong. He unplugs the camera, removes the cover with screen, and goes to court. The next day, he puts his add on back on.

Anyone wanting to do this, make sure it's legal where your bike is registered and licensed.
Sounds like a law they need to re-evaluate. Starting with luxury cars and now trickling down into more mainstream cars are video backup cameras and such for "safety" reasons. Yet there the law is making this sort of safety device illegal. Another great job by our lawmakers.

Love the mod, might have to do something similar someday.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #20
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

I'd rather have a gps rather than bu camera though
Posted via Mobile Device
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #21
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Sounds like a law they need to re-evaluate. Starting with luxury cars and now trickling down into more mainstream cars are video backup cameras and such for "safety" reasons. Yet there the law is making this sort of safety device illegal. Another great job by our lawmakers.

Love the mod, might have to do something similar someday.
Those devices are usually exempt as long as they disable video playback functionality while the vehicle is in motion. An in-dash DVD player, for example, can show GPS data while in motion but can only play a DVD when stopped.

Old May 26th, 2010, 02:03 AM   #22
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Those devices are usually exempt as long as they disable video playback functionality while the vehicle is in motion. An in-dash DVD player, for example, can show GPS data while in motion but can only play a DVD when stopped.
That's just it, they don't. They use the camera/monitor setup in place of a mirror. Sometimes it's because a mirror would be useless due to the back window or lack of one. This design has been used on a couple high end cars and I've seen the idea start to come to the states in the luxury brands. There are also designs to use cameras for the side mirrors as well. The idea for some designers is to do away with mirrors and use cameras instead. So as that starts to happen more and more, those laws will have to be re-evaluated to make room for "safety" devices made out of the devices the laws are currently making illegal.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2010, 05:02 AM   #23
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
That's just it, they don't. They use the camera/monitor setup in place of a mirror. Sometimes it's because a mirror would be useless due to the back window or lack of one. This design has been used on a couple high end cars and I've seen the idea start to come to the states in the luxury brands. There are also designs to use cameras for the side mirrors as well. The idea for some designers is to do away with mirrors and use cameras instead. So as that starts to happen more and more, those laws will have to be re-evaluated to make room for "safety" devices made out of the devices the laws are currently making illegal.
Live cameras != video playback. Most laws are specific enough, only preventing video playback while in motion.

Old May 26th, 2010, 08:07 AM   #24
stealth250
Gearhead

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

that's a cool mod! pretty much eliminates the problem with the crappy mirrors and looking at elbows when you want to look behind you. anyone know if there are smaller monitors available? i think it would be cool to put a smaller one between the windshield and the top of the dash.

Old May 26th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #25
davelhunter

Yes There are smaller available

The monitor I used is a standard 7" headrest monitor: Farenheit T-7000MHR is the model #. They run about $125.00 from any car stereo shop. You can get them for about $100.00 shipped online. The reason I went with a 7" was twofold. One because I wanted to be able to just glance down for a split second to see what was behind me and not have to concentrate on looking into a small screen which would leave my eyes off the road. ( I tired another system with a 3" monitor first) Second, I have my GPS mounted above my gauges & behing my windshield so I have no space there. I also tired a combo system which was a GPS and Rear camera monitor in 1 unit which was fine, however it was not nearly bright enough. This monitor has a lot of brightness & contrast adjustment and works great in direct sunlight.

Old May 27th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #26
EngrNewf
Geeket

Name: Terri-Lynn

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Great job! Really neat.

Old May 31st, 2010, 11:21 PM   #27
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Fantastic!
I thought of doing something like that (only a little smaller), but have a hard enough time when I have my GPS on.... screens have a tendancy of drawing my eyes to them, and then I get hypnotized... they say that is bad on a motorcycle.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2010, 05:01 PM   #28
Thrak
ninjette.org member

Name: None

Motorcycle(s): Lots

maybe I'm old school, but whats wrong with turning your head?
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2010, 06:25 PM   #29
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrak View Post
maybe I'm old school, but whats wrong with turning your head?
I donno about those other guys, but I'm just too cool to be bothered with turning my head.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:18 PM   #30
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Very cool, great mod!
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:15 PM   #31
seis gunnar
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R SE Lime Green

Thumbs up You beat me to it.

I was looking at doing something like this too. At the local Pep Boys I found this little gem.

http://www.nextar.com/frontend/proddisp.asp?co=10000312

It is designed to be wired into the gear selector on a car, so when the car is placed into reverse the back up camera is on. Otherwise it is a GPS. My initial thought was to try and wire it into the turn signal, but that might cause it to blink back and forth between the GPS to the camera. So a separate switch might be in order.

My other concern is as a GPS what is the quality and the type of support you get. Does it compare with a Garmin or Tom Tom? One of the clerks said he had set it up on his dads cruiser and it "the camera works well". As for mounting, once the WC clip-ons are installed I'd just mount the bracket to the holes left by the original handle bars.

Nice job with the install; lets us know how it works out. Though I think I would leave the mirrors in place until you're sure you know where, if any, blind spots might appear, and the law catches up to technology.

Jon
seis gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #32
davelhunter

I actually had a nextar GPS. They are a great unit. Worked very well for me. No complaints. Compares in quality to Navigon, Tomtom, etc.

Old June 29th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #33
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold)

Personally I think its extreme overkill. It's a 250 Ninja not an Escalade......
cifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #34
stealth250
Gearhead

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cifex View Post
Personally I think its extreme overkill. It's a 250 Ninja not an Escalade......
Well, as they say (whoever "they" are ), to each his own. I think it's a pretty cool add-on. All it needs now to be like an Escalade would be cup holders and a seat warmer!

Old June 29th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #35
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth250 View Post
Well, as they say (whoever "they" are ), to each his own. I think it's a pretty cool add-on. All it needs now to be like an Escalade would be cup holders and a seat warmer!
.... and government "bail-outs."
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #36
Techno250
bikeless n00b

Name: Woody

Motorcycle(s): None yet. My dream machine is a BLUE 250R.

iPad + velcro, yo.

Link to original page on Vimeo.

(It's really just for the lolz. See here: http://vimeo.com/11886557)
Attached Images
File Type: png ipad+velcro.png (474.3 KB, 5 views)

Old August 1st, 2010, 04:48 PM   #37
s2kenny
Lean in

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): Pearl White 250r, Raven R6, Black 600RR, Silver Ninja 250

Holy moly that screen looks huge on the tank!
s2kenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #38
Michaeldphotography
ninjette.org member

Name: Mook

Motorcycle(s): SUZUKI GS500

Quote:

What do you need to do with your iphone/apps to download once you jail break for video output. I never wanted to jailbreak my phone but i think i just found a reason
Michaeldphotography is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #39
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Idea! Screens on the mirrors

Old June 14th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #40
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes