ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old June 14th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #41
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Hologram under windscreen?
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #42
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeldphotography View Post
What do you need to do with your iphone/apps to download once you jail break for video output. I never wanted to jailbreak my phone but i think i just found a reason
OK, basically, most jailbreaks include something called Cydia, which is a sort of App Store for unofficial apps. The particular apps you would need to do this cost money on Cydia. Most people immediately point Cydia to a pirate repository and download cracked App Store apps as well as pirated jailbreak apps, but that's not what jailbreaking is about and I urge you to support the authors. After all, these apps exist here simply because they can't exist on the official App Store, so a large percentage of the author's potential buyers are capable of pirating it and choose to do so. It's even MORE important to support these apps with your money so that they can make new and better apps.

Now, Resupported or Resupported4 cost $3.99 on Cydia but there is a 10-day free trial. These allow you to use any old cheap video-out cable. Basically, Apple added a chip to iPod Touch and iPhone 3G/3GS/4 accessories and made the devices demand it to work. Older iPod Photo, iPod Video, etc cable no longer work and you have to spend $50+ on an Apple video cable due to an arbitrary limitation. NO WAY!

After installing Resupported/Resupported4, you still can only display video from apps but it does allow you to play video from apps that normally block TV output (normally blocked even with the official cable). To display the screen instead, you need to install DisplayOut ($2.99). This will let you see your homescreen (springboard) and "mirror" any app.

FWIW, the iPad2 now has HDMI and display mirroring officially, but the Apple Tax is prohibitive and, well, it doesn't work with your phones. Apple uses a setup like this for their iOS unveilings and trade shows so I have to wonder why they think we don't want to make demonstrations, tutorials, etc the same way.

"SBRotator" is $1.99 and allows rotation on the home screen ("Springboard") like the iPad.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #43
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Name: Saint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 KAW Ninja250r

Everyone loves to put clocks/gps/monitors/squirrels/nuts/and a giant list of other things in that exact location which is a _______ point that should be kept clear of all things to keep from causing a bind and if it is something that you need to look at while you are riding (driving) down the road, common sense (not all have this mysterious power) tells me (us) that the farther and longer my eyes stray from the road, the higher the % of me eating S@#t raises. My GPS is just below the top of my windscreen, which, when I install my monitor, is going to replace my GPS' location.
Remember boys and girls...this is only my opinion and no one will ever crash due to rider error...it's always the bike's fault (sarcasm/ drip - drip).
SaintJPN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #44
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I'm not clear on exactly what you mean, although I gather you are commenting on rider distraction. Of course anything that would distract from safe riding can be a danger, and although there may be obvious distractions, like the angry squirrel, some things may be distracting to some, but not others.

I put my GPS, and h20 gauge there because I found it was the least distracting for me. To have the GPS mounted below the gauge cluster, or on the handlebars, or clear window on a tank bag for that matter, felt unsafe because I had to move my head down, and adjust my field of vision a great deal more..... for me. Having screens/gauges on the dash is closer to a HUD, as far as keeping eyes on the road.

That being said..... If I am using my GPS, but don't actually need directions until much later in the trip, I notice there can be the temptation to watch the moving map. Switching the screen to show speed removes the temptation, and gives me a more accurate gauge to the likelihood of presenting my wife with a signed, long piece of yellow paper after my ride. When I need directions, I can just switch back to the map and have the info right there. Although using a map while riding will certainly increase risk.

Screens with rear-view seem ideal in that location, but my assumption is it won't be equal for all people. Some may be hypnotized by the screen, others may find it a useful tool. I like sure like the idea....
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote