ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old May 24th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #1
LegB4Wicket
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Blue Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Alaska Leather Sheepskin “Buttpad” – A Review with Pictures

About a month ago, I ordered from Alaska Leather one of their buttpads to see if it would make a difference in long distance comfort. I decided on one of their $35 Rally Specials, their version of a ‘slight second’. As per Alaska Leather’s fitment chart, I selected the Pillion Type 1 for the Ninja.

http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/s...1--dsh-/Detail

It arrived after spending a week in customs but without me having to pay any taxes or duties – a welcomed bonus! Overall, quick shipping.

Installation couldn’t have been easier. There’s one adjustable, stretchable strap that connects to two clips that are sewn into the pad. Pretty simple and took less than five minutes in total.

In the past two weeks, I’ve put about 2,000 kilometres on the bike and here are my quick thoughts.

Does it help with comfort? Yes. I’ve noticed I can ride longer before feeling any discomfort. Today, I did not get off my bike for two-and-half hours. This was after aggressively riding some very challenging twisty roads with several bumpy and rough sections. While the pad does not eliminate all discomfort, it was greatly diminished.

Does it feel strange when you sit on it? No, it’s feels way better than stock. At first, I noticed the saddle was more slippery but after a couple of days I become acclimatized to this and no longer noticed it.

Is it worth the $35? Absolutely. I like the way it looks, I’ve been asked several times from where the pad was purchased, and it does improve comfort. A good investment in my book.

Ant regrets? Yes – I should have purchased a more funky colour skin!

Here are some photos I took this afternoon after I washed the bike. Please note the wrinkles on the underside are the result of me riding on it for two weeks. It where the pad pushes-up onto the gas tank – another bonus ‘comfort’! I could not feel the wrinkles.

LegB4Wicket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2010, 05:09 AM   #2
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Nice write up. Was looking at there site, they make some pretty furry ones...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sheepskin_Seat_Cover_Longhair_1.jpg (45.5 KB, 465 views)
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2010, 06:20 AM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Looks very comfortable but for me it does not fit with sport bike styling.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2010, 06:35 AM   #4
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Name: LMG

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja EX250J

how does it breathe? do you wear leathers/textile/jeans?
petiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2010, 06:49 AM   #5
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

It must be great when it is soaking wet.

Steve

Old May 27th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #6
LegB4Wicket
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Blue Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by petiteninja View Post
how does it breathe? do you wear leathers/textile/jeans?
I've really only sat on it wearing leathers and it has not been too warm as of late but not have any problems with moisture. I'm sure it breathes better than the stock vinyl seat.
LegB4Wicket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #7
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): magHitVE

Looks like the ninjette forgot to shave its bush
jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2010, 10:40 PM   #8
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthechron View Post
Ba-zinga!

Can I get it in Wampa white?
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #9
Méké
ninjette.org member

Name: Méké

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 2013 SE , Ninja 2009 blue/Honda Nighthawk S 1985 blue

Quote:
Ha ha ha ha
Méké is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #10
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

if your butt hurts than your putting your weight on your ass rather than your legs and the pegs. 45 min commute each day, stock seat. store legs the beginning of the season but that only lasts a week. after that the legs strengthen. I also found that the seat wore in and got softer after a season of riding.

Old May 28th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
i just laughed out loud at work... very funny

Old May 28th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #12
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

it reminds me of when Family Guy shows 3CPO as a black guy (Cleveland) with a fuzzy fro...

Old December 6th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #13
Tinto
Java Junkie

Name: Tinto

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R and 2012 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom

I just ordered a sheepskin seat cover from Alaska Leather. The "rally specials" (blemished and seconds) they occasionally offer were not available so I purchased the higher quality (and more expensive) Pillion Type 1 Deluxe. Using the coupon code "deadsheep" I received 10% off. Total charge with priority shipping came to $60.95. I'm sure my butt will appreciate my new buttpad.
Tinto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2011, 02:26 AM   #14
Ricmon
ninjette.org member

Name: Ricardo

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250r FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimeified View Post
it reminds me of when Family Guy shows 3CPO as a black guy (Cleveland) with a fuzzy fro...
You mean R2-D2
Ricmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #15
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

and its C3PO...
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #16
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

I have tried many different seat pads and came to the same conclusion. I dont like how they sit me up, it makes me feel like im not a part of the bike.
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2012, 12:53 AM   #17
Tinto
Java Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosgarage57 View Post
I have tried many different seat pads and came to the same conclusion. I dont like how they sit me up, it makes me feel like im not a part of the bike.
I could not notice any increase in height with my sheepskin cover I purchased from Alaska Leather but did notice an increase in comfort over the stock seat. On a recent trip I drove eight hours before arriving to one scheduled stop and I don't think I could have made that length of a ride without the "buttpad".

Alaska Leather was nice to do business with but I think they charge a little too much for their product even with the generous 10% discount. If the buttpad was a custom fitted seat cover it would be different but the generic sized "Pillion Type 1 Deluxe" is IMHO overpriced. I should add that I haven't priced out sheepskin to make a custom fitted cover.

I tried to get Barb to make a custom fitted seat cover for the Ninja 250R but no dice. As you can tell from the previously posted photos the cover doesn't extend down on the sides of the seat enough to completely cover it. It still looks good as far as seat covers go.

I've already made one modification to my cover and eliminated the buckles and replaced them with large snaps. They hold the cover in place well enough to prevent slippage yet allow easy removal whereas the buckles do not. Unfortunately you have to remove the four screws and take off your seat to remove the cover. With the snaps used I can quickly remove the cover to prevent sticky fingers from walking away with it or remove it from getting wet if left uncovered in the rain.

I'm taking the seat and the cover to a local seamstress to see if they can attach a stretchable hem around the perimeter of the seat cover that would tuck under the seat which I think would give it a nicer appearance and also allow easy removal.

BTW, the Alaska Leather seat cover front can be used as a "tank guard" or it can be tucked under the seat.

Old January 10th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #18
silverdub
on flames

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

are you fkn serious!
silverdub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #19
Tinto
Java Junkie

You rang or was that a rhetorical comment?

Old January 11th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #20
silverdub
on flames

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

makes me think of my grand-mas old ford tempo seat cover!
silverdub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #21
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Curious to know how that fuzzy fur would feel on my scrotum. Hmm...betcha it'd feel real soft. So jealous.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #22
Tinto
Java Junkie

Cool vs. Comfort

You guys must not have had a cute cuddly Teddy bear while growing up if you think one of these seat covers aren't hip.

To be honest, I was a little concerned about what others might think of a soft furry animal skin on my Ninja but I asked a few of the local young moto aficionados and they all thought it was a really nice idea and gave me a thumbs up! Don't get me wrong, I want to have just a nice looking tricked out bike as the next guy but the real reason why I purchased the Buttpad was to reduce the discomfort on a long trip I had planned. It succeeded at that quiet well.

I don't have a lot of natural padding on my back side and the stock seat is really uncomfortable to be on after a couple hours. With the sheepskin seat cover I can ride much longer before needing to take a break. I still want to modify my seat by removing some of the foam to a more orthopedic shape like what one member did but with this cover it isn't such a pressing pain in the ass desire now.

It sort of amazes me that the decision makers and design department at Kawasaki don't look at what most people are doing to their motos and incorporate good ideas and improvements. Instead, they sit on the Ninja 250 tradition for the past five years still making what they introduced in 2008. I thought for sure that there would be some new changes to the 250 in 2012 with the introduction of the Honda CBR250 in 2011 but changes at Kawasaki must be a LONG process.

I guess there will always be aftermarket products but really, Kawasaki would sell more units IMHO if they made improvements each year, one being the seat. Mis dos centavos.

Last futzed with by Tinto; January 11th, 2012 at 10:02 PM.

Old January 11th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #23
Tinto
Java Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Curious to know how that fuzzy fur would feel on my scrotum. Hmm...betcha it'd feel real soft. So jealous.
A line from Sienfeld came to mind when I read your post Nemesis.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 07:21 PM   #24
Tinto
Java Junkie

Update on my Alaska sheepskin butt pad. I modified the strap system that came with it. Their strap system is fine if you don't want to remove the cover from your moto because the strap and buckle goes under the seat. I purchased some elastic nylon straps and had a set sewn onto the front and back of the cover from side to side. This IMHO is a much better way to secure the cover and easily remove it from the seat.

The quality of the sheepskin is great but in hindsight I think purchasing enough sheepskin and making a custom fitted seat cover would be a better way to go. It would probably be less expensive and there would be the benefit of a custom fit, something that the Alaska buttpads don't have.

I still use my cover on long rides but I recently modified my seat by removing the vinyl cover and reshaping the foam rubber underneath. I now have a fairly large scooped out area where my tailbone sits which has greatly improved the comfort of the stock seat. No more sliding forward and no more tailbone pain!