ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 3rd, 2011, 01:34 PM   #1
Mizono
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red Ninja 250R

Asked to Move

So I had a few errands to run this afternoon and decided to take my bike. First stop was the grocery store. No not to get food. I needed to get the registration for our cars. So i pull in the parking lot and find a empty parking spot. No sooner than i had most of my gear off one of the store employees asked if i could move my bike up to the lined area at the front of the row. I was actually shocked. here i was parking in a totally legal parking spot and i was asked to move into a lined off area. Granted it was ALOT closer but it was just odd. I wasn't upset or anything just struck me as weird. I would have imagined it going the opposite way if i had parked in the lined off area first. Oh well just a odd occurrence today.
Mizono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2011, 01:38 PM   #2
drowe531
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250 (sold); 2008 Plasma Blue Ninja 250

Some areas allow/prefer motorcycles parking on the sidewalk/lined area. That way it allows an actual space to be available still to a car while not turning away the person on the motorcycle.
drowe531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2011, 01:56 PM   #3
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I'm just too scared to try it barring not knowing how each place will react to it.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2011, 02:06 PM   #4
Mizono
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe531 View Post
Some areas allow/prefer motorcycles parking on the sidewalk/lined area. That way it allows an actual space to be available still to a car while not turning away the person on the motorcycle.
Which i understand totally. But this was a HUGE retail grocery store with TONS of places open. It more struck me as funny than anything. Im like Linuss i wont do the sidewalk parking thing due to not knowing how a store or patrons will react. I would rather go find a parking spot like everyone else.
Mizono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2011, 02:13 PM   #5
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
That is kind of odd. You would think they would frown upon parking in the lined off areas. They just need to make designated bike parking spots.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2011, 02:20 PM   #6
peachdiddy
Former ninjette rider

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
That is kind of odd. You would think they would frown upon parking in the lined off areas. They just need to make designated bike parking spots.
Yes! They do!
Working at Wal Mart I can see why a retailer would prefer that. There are drivers that just don't see bikes, parked or not. And if a motorcycle gets hit and ran or knocked over, it could be possible for the owner of the bike to sue the retailer for damages (seen it done before).

So as a liability thing, I can see that. But I work there, and they want me to park the farthest away from the building (and the cameras). Oh well. If she gets tipped, I just pay $250 to get a new one!

Old June 3rd, 2011, 03:14 PM   #7
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Down here in my area I park in those areas all the time. Like when I go to Walmart and they have those lined areas at the end of the lanes (some have the cement dividers instead) I, and just about every other motorcycle, park there. No one ever says anything about, including the parking lot security. Over at Seaworld they would actually tell me to park in those areas as long as it wasn't in the handicapped or reserved parking sections. Haven't done the sidewalk parking yet though.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2011, 03:23 PM   #8
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Why didn't you ask why?
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2011, 03:55 PM   #9
bluesinorbit
ninjette.org member

Name: Joon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

If it's more convenient for you, you might as well park in the front. More open area would make your bike more visible and less likely to get hit or messed with. What the employee should've done is tell you that you can park there next time instead of telling you to move. It's kind of tacky.

Last futzed with by bluesinorbit; June 3rd, 2011 at 07:59 PM. Reason: typo
bluesinorbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2011, 06:02 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
if someone told me to move my vehicle (i don't care what vehicle) when i was parked in a valid parking spot i'd tell them to move their ass to the dumpster and learn not to alienate their customers. now if they said "you know it's alright to park in such and such"... thats a different story.

Old June 3rd, 2011, 06:53 PM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

It is very common to see motorcycles parked on the super-wide sidewalk area outside the front of a department store here in CA but the law is clear: it MUST be between stall lines in a parking stall to be legal. Yes, stall does = space (I had to look it up).

There is a place at the grocery store close to where I live where there is a cart corral, then an unpainted gap, then diagonal blue area, then a handicapped space (first parking space), as you move away from the store. I always park in that unpainted gap because it really is exactly like a motorcycle-sized parking space (though full length) and it is between stall lines and it is outside of the handicapped loading area. It's also the most visible and close space to the building that no car could utilize. It would seem that I am helping EVERYONE out, but it still feels weird because it doesn't explicitly say that I can park there.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2011, 07:16 PM   #12
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

I've always wanted to do the "park my bike in a spot a car can't", but never had the gumps to do so. Most of the time I can always find a spot.

Old June 3rd, 2011, 07:37 PM   #13
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

I parked on a side walk near our mall, In front of a restaurant(I was grabbing lunch) and I almost got a ticket for it... The "mall police" was already writing the ticket whenI walked up to him, I asked him about my parking, he ignored me and continued writing the ticket.

But I got off (; ( He looked Filipino, so I asked him in my native tongue if he was, I was lucky that day, I apologized and explained, and bam I got saved from a $25 - $50 ticket )
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2011, 07:55 PM   #14
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

i do this all the time, sidewalks, lined off spaces usually off to the side, Cagers dont mind because i leave them a space, retailers dont mind because i give them an extra space. WIN WIN for everyone.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2011, 08:27 PM   #15
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

I was asked once to move by another driver...

Here's my 2cents on the matter. It's illegal and ticket-able to park in those areas most of the time. Unless a police officer is giving me absolute permission, I'm going to park my Ninjette in the car parking spaces as the law mandates.

I will say I get extremely annoyed with my campus parking officials because I see scooters parked just about everywhere without tickets, but the minute I try to park in an over crowded motorcycle parking space (usually forcing the bike to be sticking out a LITTLE bit but nothing that causes anyone grief) I get a ticket.
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote