ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 29th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #1
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

$99 modular helmet worth the money?

I seen that cyclegear had the bilt solar modular helmet on sale for 99 bucks. I have never worn or used bilt gear and was wondering if anyone has tried it and what they thought of it. I do have a nice shoei sever helmet I will continue using 90% of the time mostly just want a modular so I dont need two visors when I plan to be out past dark. Just want to be sure the helmet is safe and worth wearing rather carry two visors than wear a Styrofoam bicycle helmet.

bilt solar helmet 50% off sale
Liquidtoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #2
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

Its fine. Its DOT approved. It will protect your head just fine. The main thing about the helmet is that it is heavier than your Shoei. Much heavier. It takes some getting used to. Also the ventilation isn't the best, but it's adequate. 100 Bucks for a decent helmet is not a bad deal. As long as you know the shortcomings, you should be ok.
Posted via Mobile Device
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #3
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Actually just tried 2 of them on in my local store tonight.
There was 2 model's, 1 of which had **** airflow, and the other was much better a tad on noisy side, but less than my summit3 (which has almost NO airflow).

Ok looked at their site just now to find a pic of the good $99 one.. and it's not there. So guess it wasn't part of the sale, just in wrong place

The $99 helmet was the one w/ hardly any airflow.
Fit nice, but the inner padding was thick and did not allow for airflow coming in from ports to actually cool your head. I also did not like the button, or the actual sunglasses that pop down. First the sunglasses seemed cheap and flimsy and very little shading. The button to retract/engage the glasses is kinda in a bad spot and when I turned my head left it was pushed 1 way or other by my jacket collar (may be a 'my jacket' thing). That aside I just didn't like it's position. Also the port's button to activate the chin ports where cheap and can easily break (it's a black piece of plastic like a cheap toggle switch would have).

My vega summit 3.0, which has about the same airflow, but much easier to use ports better sunglasses and just as comfy.. my summit seems more noisy, but I normally have to have visor open 1/2 clicks to get any air. Hence the noise increase, this helmet I had the visor down, but would probably ride w it open like my vega if I got it. The vega cost about the same (got mine for $89).

If you need a backup or spare, it's fine but really I wouldn't recommend either unless your really tight on budget and have to have a helmet and if that's the case get the vega.
Just make sure you save for a better one latter on.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #4
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

ok well sounds like I will look for something else. I just wanted something for the occasional evening ride so I dont have two visors but sounds like not worth it.

Thank you !
Liquidtoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #5
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

That helmet was $69 the other day when i went in there ..is it the one were the front face lifts up ? I was gonna get one just to have a spair helmet but never did.
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #6
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Ed, It probably was the same helmet.

When I ordered some trackstar boots they where on sale for $99, from $139.. my size had to be shipped from Cali.
When I was there yesterday, their website said $79, so I was going to try to get that price. To my amazement they only charged me $69 (which is same price as the site now).

This the only place I found prices dropped after I ordered, so I went ahead and ordered a 2 piece full leather suit, knee pucks and all...figure by time they get in I might just catch a sale on them
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #7
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

For under $100 I find it hard to beat the scorpion helmets on closeouts. If you didnt care much for design and just wanted a simple full faced helmet, any of the closeout EXO-400/700's are a great bang for the buck helmet.

If you're looking at a modular helmet, has anyone had experience with the shark evoline modular helmets? I hear great things about it and would love to have a modular helmet so that it'd be easier to flip up and talk to people or get a drink of water at a stop.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2011, 05:52 PM   #8
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

If you get any helmet from cycle gear, make sure you try it on first. I have never been able to buy any of theirs because they never seem to fit right. But if you find one you like, a modular is the cat. You wont want to wear anything else.

Old August 1st, 2011, 07:12 PM   #9
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

I like my HJC modular if anyone cares.
Great for bikes and sleds.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote