ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old November 23rd, 2011, 11:55 PM   #1
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
A Ninja Nublet Review: Shoei RF 1000, Phantom Held Gloves, TCX S-Race Boots

Note: All purchases were heavily influenced by @Admiral Captain Setasai Esquire

Shoei RF 1000

I bought this helmet for $200 on closeout; it was a deal too good to pass up. The only size available was Medium but I purchased it anyway. Before this helmet I had a basic HJC Large.

Shoei and HJC use the same sizing for Larges/Mediums so I took the plunge on a slightly smaller helmet. My Large HJC fit perfectly when I first bought it and the Mediums were too tight, felt like my head was being compressed. Now my HJC is a bit loose and wiggles around on the freeway. The Shoei was definetly tighter but it wasn't too tight, if anything I would describe it as snug. This real life data of me comfortably moving from a Large to a Medium confirms my theory that as your ego grows, your head shrinks.

Ok, so the Shoei looks totally badass, I would have preferred blue (to match my blue underglow I hope to one day install; may need to switch to red now) but for this price I really can't complain. It fits very nicely on my head and the airflow on the top of the head is amazing. I can tell that in the summer the ventilation system will keep me .

For the first few days of wearing the Shoei my cheeks were bunched up making me look like @akima

But this went away after just a few days. The front ventilation of this helmet is . It seems like there is less air flowing into the helmet than my previous HJC and this causes the helmet to fog up fairly easily. To counter this I've started holding my breathe when slowing down and/or stopped. So far I haven't lost consciousness.

This helmet is also EXTREMELY quieter and lighter than my HJC. Once the face shield is closed and the seal is completed, it knocks decibels away from my ears, something that at first I was opposed to but have grown to love.

Once I install an anti-fogging face shield, this helmet will be an A+

Held Phantom Gloves

THESE GLOVES ARE ****ING AWESOME

First off, I get to tell people I'm wearing gloves made of kangaroo, stingray and Kevlar which automatically makes these gloves cooler than yours.

First thing I noticed about these is that the leather on the palm is WAY thinner and much more comfortable. Kangaroo is stronger and more pliable than traditional cow leather and leads to a thinner feeling more comfortable texture. The stingray part is very rough and slick. I'm positive that it would slide very well on pavement and keep my hands safe. Plus, the Kevlar makes them bulletproof (not really). The thinner leather also allows my heated grips to heat my hands quickly and effectively.

Being full guantlets these gloves are a bit more cumbersome to get on but the dual velcro straps keep them secure and make me feel safer wearing them. I haven't had a chance to try out the windshield wiper (Ok actually I have but I didn't want to take my hands off the heated grips) but it's a really cool feature that may come in handy one day.

These gloves are nicely ventilated and with heated grips (on my bike) they are also winter appropriate.

Another A+

TCX S-Race Boots

I had never worn a motorcycle boot before I purchased these... Online... I typically wear a 11-12 shoe so I ordered an 11 of these boots. They fit perfectly and are extremely comfortable.

I could do without the slight pitch forward but I do ride a sportbike after all . As I write this, I've been wearing these boots for the past 6 hours. I came home from work and didn't take them off, they are just that comfy. Ankle motion is definitely limited but not so much that walking is uncomfortable. I'm sure I would be fine riding to school and walking around campus in these boots.

Shifting is a bit more difficult than with my other cheapo work boots but I am slowly getting used to it. I feel like if I were to go down in these boots my feet and ankles would be completely fine.

A+

This is the first review of gear I've written, if you think I've left something out, let me know so I can make this review complete
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs

Last futzed with by Jiggles; November 24th, 2011 at 11:47 AM.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2011, 04:13 AM   #2
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Thanks for the review. I also have Held gloves (company is Held, so its Held Phantom, not Phantom Held ). LOVE them. Super comfy, and Held stuff is best quality available, really safe. And Kangaroos are pests, perfect to use their skin to protect us. Make good burgers, too.

Great boots. S-Race are top end, major crash protection. Torsion Control System and Metatarsal Control System keep your bones where they should be, and reputation is for comfort despite being so protective. You really didn't go cheap on gear! Keeping with Kangaroo theme: Good on ya, mate!

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2011, 06:42 AM   #3
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Great review man!!! Where did you get the $200 Shoei Helmet, I've been dying to find a deal like that forever!!
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #4
ghost-was-here
ninjette.org member

Name: rohan

Motorcycle(s): pulsar 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Thanks for the review. I also have Held gloves (company is Held, so its Held Phantom, not Phantom Held ). LOVE them. Super comfy, and Held stuff is best quality available, really safe. And Kangaroos are pests, perfect to use their skin to protect us. Make good burgers, too.
:
i didn't know that Held Phantom made bugers-rather good burgers.
ghost-was-here is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post

Great boots. S-Race are top end, major crash protection. Torsion Control System and Metatarsal Control System keep your bones where they should be, and reputation is for comfort despite being so protective. You really didn't go cheap on gear! Keeping with Kangaroo theme: Good on ya, mate!
Haha wow, I actually know they are the Held Phantoms but when I wrote the review I just copied and pasted the names from the order form so that I wouldn't spell anything wrong I'll fix it when I get to a computer.

I have a friend who is all about saving animals. She will try to eat vegetarian but isn't strict and will enjoy a burger. When I told her about the kangaroo part she was upset. I explained to her that kangaroos are just Australian cows and my gloves were made of Australian cow as well. She didn't believe me but is now curious to try a kangaroo burger, as am I.

Next up to review is a Scorpion Assailant leather jacket soon as it arrives
AFM #676

Old November 24th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #6
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
Great review man!!! Where did you get the $200 Shoei Helmet, I've been dying to find a deal like that forever!!
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...shoei+closeout

on sale now for $230

still a good price
AFM #676

Old November 24th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #7
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

Great deal on the RF1000. Anyone in the right mind would pull the trigger on that.
Heed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #8
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Ah...didn't see the model number right, I was looking at the rf1100
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #9
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...shoei+closeout

on sale now for $230

still a good price

I had that "too tight" helmet dilemma and put my younguns mini basketball with air out and pumped that puppy up tight overnight. Of course it was an HJC, couldn't touch Shoei back then, never mind Arai.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote