ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 7th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #1
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250(Cafe/fighter project)

Is this a good deal

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...518382649.html

I was bored and found this on my Local CL listing. I have the money and I'm strongly considering it, but my Inner Penny Pincher is telling me I can get this for waaaaaaaaay cheaper. What are your Opinions Ninjetters?
cerberusrex25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #2
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

IDK?? go check i out maybe lowball an offer.
Flip side I have seen pre-gens for $1100 or so with alot less miles and in better shape and running fine.
My 2 pennys.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #3
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Hmmm, see that is the thing, is 18k+ miles, I might have to get a full carb and top end rebuild done and maybe get a lower fairing. I was planning to flip this bike and turn a profit, but something keeps telling me he is asking way to much.

Old August 7th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #4
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Ok, thank youuuuuuuu, I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking he is asking to much. Now I only need a strategy to lowball the crap out of this. My Idea here being I can take this bike, buy it super cheap, get it fixed and running and flip it for a small profit. You think this would be a good idea?

Old August 7th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #5
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

I ride my bike for pleasure. Buy a running one thats beat up with low miles. That way if your plan to flip it doesnt work out at least you have something to ride and enjoy while you fix er up. I f you get stuck with it you still have a bike to ride for cheap.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #6
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm gonna think about this for a while. My whole idea of flipping it was that it will allow me to get a small profit which then I can use to finish my naked 250 and my racing 96 ZX6r. I talked to the lady of the house and she just yelled at me, so I guess I gotta think hard about this.

Old August 7th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #7
algerath
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250

I personally don't see a lot of $$ in flipping it

No matter what you do to fix it up it will still be a 02 with 18k miles. Maybe your market is different than mine but I don't see a lot of room for profit on it. I guess it comes down to how much you can sell it for fixed up. I sold my old pregen, it was older a 95 with 18k running great, ready to ride for 900, in may.
algerath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #8
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

It would be better to just keep saving. Don't buy it thinking you can make money. Buy it if you want a weekend project to use for yourself. You have a very limited profit margin and a bike that takes longer to sell in a currently flooded market. For a old ninja that isn't running with a original "high" mile engine, I wouldn't pay over $400.

Never trust a seller saying it's a easy fix for someone "mechanically inclined". Anyone can fix these bikes with a quick google search and basic tools (probably even the OEM tool bag..). If it was easy to fix, it would be running and he'd sell it for more. You're probably going to have to put $500+ into it assuming the engine just needs a few adjustments and is in relatively decent condition.

Even after all that and it's running, it's still a old bike with high miles. You'd be lucky getting a offer near 1k for it since there are tons of lower mile, newer bikes everywhere on the market this time of year.
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #9
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by algerath View Post
No matter what you do to fix it up it will still be a 02 with 18k miles. Maybe your market is different than mine but I don't see a lot of room for profit on it. I guess it comes down to how much you can sell it for fixed up. I sold my old pregen, it was older a 95 with 18k running great, ready to ride for 900, in may.
Well after a huge fight and loads of screaming about money and ownership of the place, it looks like I'm nt getting it. I guess I'm just going to just let this go and maybe someone else in the area will pick it up. would be sad to see a ninjette die like this, even though from the description it had a great life.

Old August 7th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #10
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

True that brother, I plan to ride mine for a while after I'm done building it, I don't know If I cold ever part with it.

Old August 7th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #11
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

Yea I think thats a pass Rex. I dont see you flipping it but for about $1200-$1500 MAYBE at the beginning of the season next year. Keep looking, if you're wanting a running one for now until you get yours fixed keep a looking.
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote