ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 13th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Anyone riden a Vulcan 1600?

I'm considering selling my bike. I want to start taking longer rides. I only get to ride a few times a year but tend to ride the full day. So I seen a 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Cruiser for sale and thought it was a beautiful bike. I have never ridden, more than 3-4miles, a big cruiser but thought I would get some peoples views on going from a 250 to a big cruiser and what to expect out of it. Any words of wisdom? I have read lots of reviews for the bike and they say about the same thing, not a ton of power but a good strong, well handling bike. Of course, not a lot of power means compared to similar bikes so I kinda expect a ton of power of the little 250.
Liquidtoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #2
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

It will be kind of like riding a train compared to the 250. Quicker in a straight line, but going around corners will probably feel like you're crawling.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #3
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Cruisers are fun, it can feel strange going from a leaned over position to going to sitting upright on a long ride.

I've always wanted a vulcan though.

BTW, people say that they are slow through the corners, most of those bikes can take corners faster than a lot of sport bike riders are comfortable taking them anyway. The low center of gravity can actually make you feel more planted in corners.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #4
kirk595x
ninjette.org guru

Name: Robbie

Motorcycle(s): 03' Ninja 250ex

My Uncle has one....it's ok I guess. My Pops had a VTX 1800 and that was much more fun than the Vulcan. I've taken the VTX on some twisties and I was impressed at how well it handled for being an 820 lb. Civic motor with wheels. Just my opinion. My Uncle really likes his Vulcan though.
kirk595x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
BTW, people say that they are slow through the corners, most of those bikes can take corners faster than a lot of sport bike riders are comfortable taking them anyway. The low center of gravity can actually make you feel more planted in corners.
Well, kinda. I test rode a Vulcan 900 a couple summers ago. It was fine on the road; plenty of lean as long as you were sensible on speed. But I did scrape pegs when I rode into and out of the driveway. Right when I was thinking, "now it feels like I'm turning", they scraped.

But it did toss back and forth pretty quickly, considering how much it weighs. That low center of gravity is good for something.

Fine bike. Great intake sound. Plenty of torque. Just not my style.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #6
rc racer
ninjette.org member

Name: robert

Motorcycle(s): 2015 R3, 1969 CB160, 2002 TTR125, 2007 KX250F

I have ridden cross country on a VTX and a vfr800. Turns out the cruiser was much less comfortable for the long trip. Mostly due to the forward controls. Since your feet are not underneath you when you ride a cruiser all your weight is on your tail and your seating position is locked in. On the sport bikes you can take some of your weight on your feet and shift around more on the seat.

After long trips on the VTX my knees and lower back would be sore. On the vfr nothing was sore.
rc racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #7
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

I have been looking into a cruiser because my knee is giving me trouble, to the point keeping it bent for 30-45mins is unbearable and I have to stand up to straighten it. I have only ridden a few cruisers but the main reason is the leg position. I looked at the Harley V-Rod but it is out of my price range. The Mean streak looked great and was more on budget. I would like to be able to take longer rides 3-4 hours maybe even with my wife if possible.

Thank all of you for the feed back.

Old April 15th, 2013, 02:55 AM   #8
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Not sure what modifications are available for that bike, but the mean streak does not look the slightest bit comfortable for a passenger.

Other Vulcan models are much better for the pillion.

Whatever cruiser you end up with, however, you might want to look at some highway pegs if your knee is bothering you.

Old April 15th, 2013, 08:48 AM   #9
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Here is the one I was looking at.

Old April 15th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #10
Memengkamatis
ninjette.org member

Name: AL

Motorcycle(s): ex250r, vulcan 800b, k1200r

Cruisers

I have a '98 Vulcan 800B, the classic with fat front tires. I've taken it from North Jersey to Maggie Valley, NC all in one day for a week long runs at Deals Gap. Rode it to Virginia Beach, Gettysburg Battlefield, Lake George and Laconia and lots of places in the Northeast. Ride was mostly great and relaxing. Just stop every 2 hours and top off the tank or about 150 miles. Stretch, take a leak, have a smoke or snack. My bike has a Givi topcase instead of sissy bar. Full bagger for long trips, mustang seat with the bead seat cover for air cooling under my a$$, throttle lock cruise control, gps on my smartphone speak to me via bluetooth. I can take my hands completely off the handlebar for a few MINUTES as long as you're on straight road/slab. It's that steady. Cruisers are very forgiving and easy to ride for a big, heavy bike. Test ride a few at your local stealers. Ride safe.

Last futzed with by Memengkamatis; April 15th, 2013 at 08:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Memengkamatis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2013, 09:36 AM   #11
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 650r

That looks like a really nice bike!

What about a Kawasaki Versys 1000?
Reyno2ac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #12
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

I've had many cruisers (2 vulcan 1500's) and I realllly like the mean streaks. If the price is right I say go for it. I believe, unless you are 2 uping ALOT or highway riding ALOT, a 1500 > cc bike is just over kill. I had a vstar 1100 and I believe it was about perfect, it had pegs instead of floor boards like the vulcans had and I had no issueswith dragging pegs on the 1100 like I did on the 1500. If it'll make you happy, DO IT!

Old April 15th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #13
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec, 2007 Ninja 250R

http://bluecollarbobbers.com/web/ind...id=24&TreeId=2

or

http://bluecollarbobbers.com/web/ind...id=24&TreeId=1

Old April 15th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #14
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyno2ac View Post
That looks like a really nice bike!

What about a Kawasaki Versys 1000?
I think he wants to be able to be seen on it in public without hanging his head in abject shame.

Old April 15th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #15
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
I think he wants to be able to be seen on it in public without hanging his head in abject shame.
That, and I was looking for a bike with forward foot controls to better accommodate an aging body.

Old April 15th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #16
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidtoon View Post
Here is the one I was looking at.

WANT
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 05:21 AM   #17
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidtoon View Post
That, and I was looking for a bike with forward foot controls to better accommodate an aging body.
You know, it's funny, I find the sports bike position more comfortable, something about sitting straight upright with no backrest just isn't comfortable to me after a long while.

Most older people seem to find the cruiser position much more comfortable.

I would recommend trying to ride something, anything, that is more upright, just to get the idea if it is comfortable for you, but I'm guessing that it will be, even if you have to get used to it.

Does that bike have some sort of muffler in those pipes? I like the look, I just can't imagine your wife would want to sit on a bike with straight pipes for too long, unless she's already going deaf?

Old April 16th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #18
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Well, it won't handle like your 250, and it probably won't be as comfortable as you think it will. A better option would be buying a cruiser set up to tour from the factory (a Suzuki C90T, for example; that T designates it is touring-oriented).

Or if you are dead set on getting a certain style of cruiser, like the Mean Streak, then check on whether or not it comes with mid-mount pegs. They put your feet more or less directly beneath you in a far more neutral position, with a lot less pressure directly compressing your spine.

Another option would be a used sport-tourer, which is going to be far more comfortable and more passenger friednly than a Ninjette or a standard cruiser for long rides.

According to what you said, you don't ride much, so I would definitely look for a serious deal, regardless of what you decide to do.