ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 19th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #321
splittrain
ninjette.org member

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

Okay soo, Im a tall white boy @ 6 feet..
I just threw on the Woodcraft clipons and HOLY SHETTT!!!

I sat on the bike, drove it around town OMG!!!@#@#$# WTF The bike feels completely different (posture etc.)! I feel like i just bought like a 600cc and was riding around. The feel of the bike feels just waayyyyy better! Wow, this is the greatest modification that you could do to your bike. I cant wait until I sit on it again and go riding.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND PUTTING CLIPONS ON YOUR NINJA 250RRRRR!!!!!

I am puttin pazzo shortys on later this afternoon and will post pics!
splittrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #322
splittrain
ninjette.org member

Wink

Here are my new Woodcraft Clipons and the Pazzo Shorty Levers I put on today. The left grip is currently being held by duct tape until i get a new grip..
It was too hard for me to try to remove it so I just put a razor blade to it!

So far I am very excited about the new setup! xD

Pazzo levers are great btw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20100819_145828.jpg (102.2 KB, 81 views)

Old August 19th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #323
illrational
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Black '11 ZX-6R

I like teh thumbs up in the mirror!!!!

Go Green!!!

Old August 19th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #324
splittrain
ninjette.org member

thanks brotha, i was gonna do a weird smile in the mirror but i decided not to lol. Hmm what next. Double bubble and an exhaust?? xD

Old August 19th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #325
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by splittrain View Post
thanks brotha, i was gonna do a weird smile in the mirror but i decided not to lol. Hmm what next. Double bubble and an exhaust?? xD
shim your needles and remove the snorkel.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2010, 06:15 AM   #326
Will.
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Wilson

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Just installed my clip on's

if you don't have a firetorch you can always do what my mates doing to my bike

Link to original page on YouTube.

Will. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2010, 11:10 AM   #327
kkim

um.... no.

Old August 22nd, 2010, 03:40 PM   #328
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Did my clipons today. As always, the hardest part is easy for me but I have trouble with the simple things. The bar ends only took 10 minutes max. I had a minitorch ($15 from lowes) that I used to heat up the loctite. I tried using a cordless drill with a philips 3 bit, but that didn't work at all. I then used my 3/8 ratchet connected to a 1/4 adapter connected to a philips 3 bit. Worked really well and took almost no strength at all!

I had the most trouble removing the grips I tried using my air compressor but it didn't work so well. I ended up just cutting up the grips. I never had to change grips before so didn't realize I could have left the throttle grip on ended up going to cycle gear and got some gel grips.

The new grip is about a cm longer than stock and had closed ends so had to cut them out. The bar ends look puny now so will work on getting the stock ones back on.
Everything is now back together and I'll test ride it in a few hours when everything dries.
Are the levers supposed to hit the windshield when locked left or right (just barely). Also, one of my tubes underneath the throttle looks exposed, so wasn't sure that was normal. Will take a pic when I get a chance.
Also, I changed my fork seals last month so now these scratches are exposed

Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2010, 06:00 PM   #329
Cuongism

I couldn't get a pic of it, but right underneath the boot is where the tube is cut.

Didn't know if this is normal. I did get a chance to test the clipons out. Still higher than what I'm used to, but I'm definitely more leaned forward now. Weirdest change is actually how I steer. With the stock handlebars, I actually pulled the bars in to countersteer (ie pull left handlebar in, go right). With the clipons, I push to steer now since I'm more leaned forward.

Old August 22nd, 2010, 06:07 PM   #330
edbro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
I couldn't get a pic of it, but right underneath the boot is where the tube is cut.

Didn't know if this is normal. I did get a chance to test the clipons out. Still higher than what I'm used to, but I'm definitely more leaned forward now. Weirdest change is actually how I steer. With the stock handlebars, I actually pulled the bars in to countersteer (ie pull left handlebar in, go right). With the clipons, I push to steer now since I'm more leaned forward.
You should practice and utilize both actually. For example, when turning left push on left bar and pull on the right bar. It'll help if you need to swerve really quickly in an emergency situation, the bike falls over much quicker when you push and pull as opposed just pushing or pulling (at least in my case it's so).
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2010, 06:20 PM   #331
Cuongism

I actually have the bad habit of one handing about 90% of the time. I'm only 5'8 so it was a lot more comfortable to one hand my cbr and I unfortunately brought that habit to the 250 even though it was upright. I only use my left for parking lot speeds, bumpy roads or lane splitting.

Old August 29th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #332
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

I have a tiny problem with ordering. Here goes.

I live in croatia, and so far i was unable to find any european online store which has any clip-ons at all. And you can forget about local stores, they simply dont order any parts for 250r because it is a rare bike here.

So the problem is, shipping from woodcraft is 218$. Thats kind of huuge. I never ever ordered anything from US which cost so much to ship, most of the things were under 50$. Some of them over 1kg.

Add up the base price, and then vat and customs (23% + 10% + fixed expenses of around 50$), i will end up paying around 580$. I have been complaining about counting in shipping cost to the base for vat and customs , for about a million times so far, and i simply cant get anywhere with it. Its just as it is.

As i can see racebikerentals offers no international shipping. Do you guys know of any alternative?
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2010, 10:02 AM   #333
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

I've only done international shipping once before, but I'd be willing to look into it if you'd consider going through a stateside middleman.

US Postal Service quotes me about $60 for international shipping to Croatia for a box about the size/weight of the box my WC clipons came in. Not sure what customs will do to that price, but seems a bit more reasonable than $218. Of course the downside is they'd have to be shipped to me, then shipped to you, so probably $80 shipping all told.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 10:44 AM   #334
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
I've only done international shipping once before, but I'd be willing to look into it if you'd consider going through a stateside middleman.

US Postal Service quotes me about $60 for international shipping to Croatia for a box about the size/weight of the box my WC clipons came in. Not sure what customs will do to that price, but seems a bit more reasonable than $218. Of course the downside is they'd have to be shipped to me, then shipped to you, so probably $80 shipping all told.
what about a USPS large flat rate box??? if it fits in it, I believe it's less than $20.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 10:55 AM   #335
Momaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
what about a USPS large flat rate box??? if it fits in it, I believe it's less than $20.
An excellent option, thanks! As I said, not too familiar with international shipping, but happy to look into it. I might even have my original Woodcraft box to measure for fit.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 02:22 PM   #336
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
An excellent option, thanks! As I said, not too familiar with international shipping, but happy to look into it. I might even have my original Woodcraft box to measure for fit.
you may need to repackage it from the box that WC uses, but from eyeballing the longest pieces in the clipon set, it looks like it might fit the large flat rate box if you pack the bars in there diagonally?

to you for stepping up to help out!

Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:16 PM   #337
richelp
ninjette.org member

Name: rick

Motorcycle(s): 2010 kawasaki ninja 250R

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by minizoom View Post
I just finished installing the bars on the bike. Took the bike for a short run on the side streets. It totally feels like a new bike, more sporty. Almost like sitting on my friend’s gixxer 750. I don’t know about long rides though, it’s not as comfy as the original bars. If you’re more into comfort then just leave the bike alone. As far as handling goes it seems like it would be better, by bringing body position lower. I’ll know more by this week if it stops raining here in socal.
alvin, does the clip on handle bars hit the fairings both front and back when turning? or maybe pinch your fingers in front?
richelp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 02:36 PM   #338
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Reducing the shipping costs from 218 to 80 is a huge step already, thank you for offering help!
I have no idea what will customs do with package either, without the original wrapping, but in the worst case scenario i will get charged vat on ≈ 250$ (at least i think so) which is way better. I will try to find out what happens to packages with no bill/value indicated on the outside. Might take a while, and i will probably get some confusing and unclear answers
Last issue is how do i refund you? Cant really pay you with my credit card

Quote:
you may need to repackage it from the box that WC uses, but from eyeballing the longest pieces in the clipon set, it looks like it might fit the large flat rate box if you pack the bars in there diagonally?

to you for stepping up to help out!
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #339
Momaru

I'll continue over PM, to avoid further sidetrack of the thread.
Very glad to help out a fellow forum member!

Old September 5th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #340
kkim

please let us know how it turns out.

Old September 17th, 2010, 06:21 AM   #341
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Thanks for the write-up! I have a related question:

Would there be anything wrong with installing the clip-ons on top of the triple clamp, so the riding position wouldn't change much but the front could still be lowered?

I ask, because my 5'0" GF is going to be inheriting my 250 when I upgrade. We are already planning on lowering it for her for more comfort and confidence, but I would like to be able to drop the front more than just the 1" option (so we don't have to slam the rear and jack up the steering geometry too much for the same height), at least until she builds enough skill to not worry about dropping it at every stoplight, heh.

I don't think she would want the leaned-forward riding position, let alone be able to actually turn the bars :P .

It seems like it would be pretty strait-forward.
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2010, 07:25 AM   #342
Cuongism

Get handlebar risers if you want it above the triple tree. They just install underneath your stock bars and they'll be much cheaper/easier to install (around $60 vs $180).
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/produ...ers-ninja-250r
Lots of different brands make them, but they'll lower the forks about an inch.
I'm pretty sure the woodcraft can't be installed above because of clearance issues.

Old September 17th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #343
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

What I was saying is I want to raise the forks more than just an inch.

What kind of clearance issues would one find, mounting them above the clamps?

Old September 17th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #344
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
What I was saying is I want to raise the forks more than just an inch.

What kind of clearance issues would one find, mounting them above the clamps?
I'm not sure, but I think I tried that when I was installing these and it can't be done. Due to the shape of the brackets, the handlebars end up hitting the front fairings at full turn, IIRC.

You can lower the front as much as you like. The limiting factor would be when the front fender starts hitting the underside of the front cowling at full front suspension travel. Sorry, I don't know exactly how much that is.

There are other makers of clip ons that are made to mount above the triple clamps if you are interested in an above triple clamp type of clip ons. I believe Matt sells them.

Old September 17th, 2010, 12:19 PM   #345
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Yeah, I know with the stock bars the amount of lowering is limited by whatever spacer is added under the bar mounts. I didn't want the bars lifted like 3", which is why I was leaning more toward clipons, so that the bar height isn't related to front suspension height.

The reason I wouldn't want to put them under the clamp is because she probably wouldn't be able to reach the bars when they are at or near lock. Hell, she is already at like a 45* angle to reach the bars as they are, haha.

But, I guess I will have to look into something else .

Old September 17th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #346
kkim

You're fortunate that others have introduced alternatives to the WC clipons since I did mine. At least you have a choice now that was not available not too long ago.

BTW, why do you need to lower the front more than lowering blocks will allow? how low do you expect to lower the rear? It's not a 1:1 relation when it comes to lowering front vs rear and lowering more than 1.5" in the rear will usually start causing you clearance problems back there as well.

Old September 17th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #347
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
You're fortunate that others have introduced alternatives to the WC clipons since I did mine. At least you have a choice now that was not available not too long ago.

BTW, why do you need to lower the front more than lowering blocks will allow? how low do you expect to lower the rear? It's not a 1:1 relation when it comes to lowering front vs rear and lowering more than 1.5" in the rear will usually start causing you clearance problems back there as well.
I was already planning to lower the rear 2" or so and the front as much as possible, which would only be 1" with risers. Being able to lower the front as much as or more than the rear would both get the seat lower, and keep the steering more nimble.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old September 17th, 2010, 01:18 PM   #348
kkim

IMHO, you are asking for problems lowering it by that much.

exactly how tall is your wife... or more importantly, what's her inseam? there are other things you can do to help make the bike fit a shorter rider... shave the seat, wear a bit thicker shoe.

A little bit here and there will make a big difference overall.

personally I would start with lowering the rear 1.5" and the front using lowering blocks. if she needs it lowered more, then look at the other options mentioned.

Old September 17th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #349
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Sorry, i had a long post but it got mesed up (as you can see). She is 5' tall. I dont know her exact endseam, but at stock height she can baaaarely scrape the tips of both shoes on the ground, heh. I have lowered the rear with straps by about 4" for her to practice in parking lots, and while it obviously helped, she still was a good inch way from flat footing. So really, my goal is just to help her get as comfortable on it as possible, by lowering it down as much as possible. We will probably get her some boots, but I dont want her fumbling with clumsy clown shoes when she is already trying to learn to just stay on 2 wheels lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old September 17th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #350
kkim

a custom Corbin seat can help, too. they can work with you to make the padding thinner in the tank seat junction. They are willing to work with the customer to size/fit the seat in any way they can help. You would need to order directly from the manufacturer, however, and pay full retail on the seat. I have an off the shelf Corbin and for me it makes the riding position and comfort worlds better than stock.... something to consider.

Old October 12th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #351
Yoda
ninjette.org member

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Blue

Just finished my woodcrafts. Install went very smooth using heat to get the old bar ends off.

Only issue I had was getting the inside bolts tightened down but thats due more to my beefy hands then anything else.

Impressions after a short jaunt around my condo complex were WOW Sharper cornering and felt alot more comfortable laying it over more.

May need some tweaking after a few rides to work but mounting them 6mm down from the triple gives almost full lock to lock. Clutch and brake lever hit equally on the forward fairing but it not unworkable.

Old October 21st, 2010, 06:33 PM   #352
scotty

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will. View Post
Just installed my clip on's

if you don't have a firetorch you can always do what my mates doing to my bike

Link to original page on YouTube.

Dude! Lol I was scard just watching that!
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2010, 12:56 PM   #353
ninja3575
ninjette.org addict

Name: Jimmy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Hopefully you dont get too bogged down by all the questions members throw your way... and with me having to ask another about the clip ons... One of the reasons i purchased the ninja 250 was because there was the option to lower the bars and the DIY guide you had posted up made it seem something that was within the realm of my mechanical know how... Anyway, so here my question to you... When you removed the stock bars from the triple tree... were the pipes sticking out above the triple tree? or were they flush? from the looks of all the pictures in this thread most have some pipe sticking above the triple tree... did they all lower their front ends? or is there normally 1/2 inch sticking out above?
ninja3575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2010, 01:01 PM   #354
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja3575 View Post
Hopefully you dont get too bogged down by all the questions members throw your way... and with me having to ask another about the clip ons... One of the reasons i purchased the ninja 250 was because there was the option to lower the bars and the DIY guide you had posted up made it seem something that was within the realm of my mechanical know how... Anyway, so here my question to you... When you removed the stock bars from the triple tree... were the pipes sticking out above the triple tree? or were they flush? from the looks of all the pictures in this thread most have some pipe sticking above the triple tree... did they all lower their front ends? or is there normally 1/2 inch sticking out above?
The fork tubes do stick out some. Not quite 1/2" mine were 11mm (bout 3/8").

Old October 31st, 2010, 01:09 PM   #355
kkim

the fork tubes stick up about 1/2-3/4" above the triple clamp's top surface under the stock handlebars. If you remove one of your stock handlebars you will be able to see exactly how much. Really easy to do... two bolts per side.

sorry, I don't have any pics of the tubes sticking out of the triple clamps in the stock configuration.

Old October 31st, 2010, 01:11 PM   #356
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

As Rock mentioned, the forks do stick out from factory. The bottom of the stock bars are hollow to accomodate the part of the fork that sticks out.
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2010, 03:30 PM   #357
ninja3575
ninjette.org addict

Name: Jimmy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Thanks everyone for the quick replies !! when the clip ons arrive I'll give'em a go and see how it all turns out... I cant say this enough, but this forum is, hands down, the most informative and welcoming group I've come across !!
ninja3575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #358
Cuongism

For those of you who are great at stripping bolts like I am, I finally found replacement bolts. I've gone to ace hardware, lowes, and home depot with no luck and even checked the woodcraft website. The bolts have to have the same Allen head or else they won't fit correctly (I put some hex bolts in that wouldn't screw in completely and they fell out apparently).

I happened to walk by these bolts at cycle gear and they are exactly the same size. The size says M6x20 and it's 3 bolts for $1.99.

Old November 17th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #359
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
3 bolts for $1.99.

how did you decide on which bolt to not use?

Old November 17th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #360
Cuongism

The cycle gear guys are pretty cool people and lent me tools to take a bolt out of my bike. The packages easily open so I tested a bolt that looked the closest to mine. They fit perfectly and then I bought the bolts.