ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 4th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #1
ebrammer252
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '01 Ninja 250

Wink thinking about upgrading...

So I've been riding my 01 250 for three years now, and I'm now tempted to upgrade...looking for some opinions. My lil ninja now is damaged and is missing a part of the upper fairing from an accident I had and sadly I cannot justify spending money to fix the plastics. Also I am yearning for something bigger. Bike has 10k by the way. I've settled on a 650r as it has speed and practicality. The thing is my car is about $800 away from being paid off and I do have a little cc debt that I religously pay on. So if I buy a new bike now it would be a loan. I'm torn between doing that since my car is almost paid off(will be paid off before june/july) or trying to wait until next year to upgrade.

Granted a loan for the amount I'm looking at spending will be less per month than my current car payment. Anyhow here's what I'm going to look at on Friday : craigslist posting I really would prefer it in kawi green, but id be happy with red...

Anyhow any input is greatly appreciated!
ebrammer252 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #2
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

I think that guy wants too much. NADA is around $3500. I would wait a year and save up a down payment on something newer.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 11:20 AM   #3
ebrammer252
ninjette.org member

Yeah I also saw some on craigslist that were further away but were lower priced, I figured I could probably get him down to 4 even. I agree it is a little high, but looks well taken care of. What is the general consensus on these boards about the 650? Is it a worthwhile upgrade? I originaly wanted (and still secretly desire) a zx6r lol....but the 650 is more practical for commuting and 2 up riding.

Old April 4th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #4
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

I think its suspect... Who doesn't have more time than college students? Haha, I guess unless they have a full time job too. Debt sucks, maybe just turn your bike into a street fighter and keep it running one more year.
Posted via Mobile Device
oroboros is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Sit on some bikes first before you even decide on a model. 650 is fairly upright while the zx6r is pretty aggressive. Also, you can get 650's in the 3k range. Good luck!
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #6
ebrammer252
ninjette.org member

Red face

I thought about streetfighttering it but I can't find something to cover up the ugly ass naked headlight and/or an aftermarket headlight that looks like it works.

Old April 4th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #7
ebrammer252
ninjette.org member

Well I'm looking for something bigger/faster than my 250 obviously. Something suitable for 2 up riding, the gf likes riding with me. Something sporty looking (sv650 is ugly as hell imo), something reliable and good for commuting to work and mountain roads (as I am in southern va)......what other models would be suitable do y'all think?

Old April 4th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #8
PitBull
ninjette.org member

Name: Lisa

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

If it were me, I'd pay off my car first. Then I would use the extra money to pay off the credit card THEN I would look for a new bike.
PitBull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #9
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBull View Post
If it were me, I'd pay off my car first. Then I would use the extra money to pay off the credit card THEN I would look for a new bike.
that's great advice. I would take it even one step further and after you've paid off the car and card, save up the money until you have enough to pay for your new bike in cash.

fix and keep your present bike running till then.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #10
ebrammer252
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBull View Post
Gah...you women...always making the practical and responsible decision sound good! I am considering that but being a compulsive red blooded male.....I find it hard to convince myself to be sensible.

Old April 4th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #11
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): "Blanka" 07' Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrammer252 View Post
Gah...you women...always making the practical and responsible decision sound good! I am considering that but being a compulsive red blooded male.....I find it hard to convince myself to be sensible.
I'm just like you, but you'll thank the advice later when you're not in over your head on payments.
Mekkakat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #12
ebrammer252
ninjette.org member

Yeah......part of me reminds myself living paycheck to paycheck isn't fun....but another part of me says hell you only have one life to live....do it up right haha

Old April 4th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #13
Scott1620
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r(sold), 2007 650R (sold), 2013 Ninja 300

The 650r is a great bike, I am loving mine! And the ergos can be changed to feel like the 250s with sport bars. But as others have said, paying off the car is more important. Taking out a loan on a used bike is not a great financial decision IMO (and that guy is asking too much)...
Scott1620 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #14
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
We're not all like you. Upgrading isn't a bad idea but pay off your car and debt first. Don't spend money you don't have.
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #15
PitBull
ninjette.org member

Name: Lisa

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

Quote:
In my 20's I would have bought the bike. In my 30's I would have regretted buying the bike and not paying of the credit card debt because I couldn't afford to go do anything I really wanted to. Now in my 40's after learning from my mistakes and finally paying off the debt I accumulated, I can afford to have my bike as a luxury item, afford to maintain it and do some of those things I couldn't afford to do in my 30's.
PitBull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 07:56 AM   #16
ebrammer252
ninjette.org member

So I know I started this topic off with a 650r in mind, and to be honest I've always thought SV-650s were ugly. But i found this one on Craiglist and I actually really like it, and better yet it's in a price range I can afford with out pulling a financial no-no. I posted it on the SVforums and they said it looks like a good deal if I can get the price down some. I wanted to pull some opinions from everyone here as well : http://blacksburg.craigslist.org/mcy/2306784970.html

what do y'all think?

Old April 6th, 2011, 08:23 AM   #17
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I'm no SV expert, but I have looked at them enough, as I do like the S model (the older ones, the newer full-faired model looks odd). It looks pretty good to me. I would suggest trying to get the price down.

Double check the front tire to make sure it matches the rear and has decent tread left, otherwise that might be an expense. Ask for any proof of receipts that can show he bought what he said he bought for the bike as far as maintenance goes. I'm sure he has done what he said, and he does have the owner's manual, so it is probably fine.

Otherwise the bike looks good. I would want a qualified mechanic to look it over. He should agree to that. Just make sure to factor in the cost of the inspection, which will probably be around $100 or so, to the final price of the vehicle.

Offer as low as $2,000 and go from there. Find a compromise you are both happy with.

Good luck!
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote