ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 11th, 2013, 11:52 AM   #1
lowdown112
ninjette.org member

Name: Keith

Motorcycle(s): 01 Ninja 250, 98 Honda CR80, 79 Harley Sportster

ex500 wheels

Will ex500 rims fit on a 250?
lowdown112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Those rims are 17"
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
It's not a straight swap from what I've read.

I believe @Skippii uses an entire EX500 front end so he can get the 17" front wheel. He just swapped the triples and forks and wheel. The races are the same, so it's a straight swap. At least I think that's what I remember him saying. Hopefully he comes to the thread so he can confirm for us.

The rear will be more tricky for an EX500 wheel because I've never read of it done. However, you can use the swingarm/shock/links/wheel from a newgen. Then you'll have a pair of (non-matching) 17" hoops.

Seems like a lot of that hassle though. Are you pushing the limits of traction in corners with bias-ply tires and looking to switch to radials? or do you just want to go with this because of how 17" rims look?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #4
lowdown112
ninjette.org member

Name: Keith

Motorcycle(s): 01 Ninja 250, 98 Honda CR80, 79 Harley Sportster

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post

I believe @Skippii uses an entire EX500 front end so he can get the 17" front wheel. He just swapped the triples and forks and wheel. The races are the same, so it's a straight swap. At least I think that's what I remember him saying. Hopefully he comes to the thread so he can confirm for us.

The rear will be more tricky for an EX500 wheel because I've never read of it done. However, you can use the swingarm/shock/links/wheel from a newgen. Then you'll have a pair of (non-matching) 17" hoops.

Seems like a lot of that hassle though. Are you pushing the limits of traction in corners with bias-ply tires and looking to switch to radials? or do you just want to go with this because of how 17" rims look?
Both
lowdown112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #5
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post

Correct, EX500 forks and triples swap in easily.

Old June 15th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #6
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdown112 View Post
Both
You must really be a fast track rider

Anyhow, if you want the look, that's cool. If you want more grip, get stickier tires. Pirelli makes two good options; the Sport Demon and Diablo Scooter tire. Bridgestone also makes a good option; the BT45. All those tires will get you more than enough grip to go carve some roads or drag a knee at the track. No offense intended here, but I doubt you're pushing the limits of your tires on the street unless you're still running the OE Dunrocks.

Also, I just passed through Louisville. Beautiful area!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2013, 07:21 PM   #7
b.miller123
ninjette.org member

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 1998 Ninja 250 2007 Yamaha R6 2003 Honda RC51... sold :(

I'm pretty sure the ex500 rear will fit with some modifications. The new 250 wheels would also work with mods (been done a lot)

If I was going to do it, I'd swap the entire front and rear suspensions off a new 250 onto it.
b.miller123 is offline   Reply With Quote