ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 17th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #1
deanomyte
ninjette.org member

Name: dean

Motorcycle(s): 99 honda rebel/ 04 ninjette

carb rebuild help

What the heck are the two holes that go into the carb body? Don't remember removing anything from either of them, but only the top one looks like there should be something going to it!
P.S. Finally got the damned o rings out!! WOOHOOO!!

Last futzed with by deanomyte; November 17th, 2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: need to add some stuff & change my replies
deanomyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #2
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanomyte View Post
Everything was going smooth until I tried to get the mixture screw o ring out! It's stuck and I can't figure out how to get this damn thing out!!!! It's visibly in bad shape and I need to get this thing out!!! Any advise or tricks to get it out?
Take a small gauge wire and make an 'L' at the tip. It worked for me.
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #3
deanomyte
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the help. I got them out with a lot of time and some luck. NEW PROBLEM, I added some pics because I have no idea what the top hole in the pic above is supposed to do. Heck for that matter I don't know what the bottom hole is either. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old November 17th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #4
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
Thanks for the help. I got them out with a lot of time and some luck. NEW PROBLEM, I added some pics because I have no idea what the top hole in the pic above is supposed to do. Heck for that matter I don't know what the bottom hole is either. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I dunno, looks like you're missing a plug. Maybe this picture will help ...

CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #5
deanomyte
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the pic, that's exactly what I needed, can I even purchase a plug?

Old November 18th, 2012, 04:10 AM   #6
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250(Cafe/fighter project)

http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oe...x250-f18-parts

Try that place, when looking for specific parts it has only failed me once and it was a snafu on both ends, but overall they are great for little things like that.
cerberusrex25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #7
deanomyte
ninjette.org member

Okay, so I've done a good bit of research. It looks like the carb is missing the plunger,starter (#16016)
http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oe...rburetor-parts
The real question, is that it shows that this part goes on the other side of the carb, not specifically on the side that I need. Does anyone know if each carb should have this part? Not real sure what the plunger,starter does. Are these things even serviceable?

Old November 18th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #8
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Quote:
Okay, so I've done a good bit of research. It looks like the carb is missing the plunger,starter (#16016)
http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oe...rburetor-parts
The real question, is that it shows that this part goes on the other side of the carb, not specifically on the side that I need. Does anyone know if each carb should have this part? Not real sure what the plunger,starter does. Are these things even serviceable?
If you have to ask this question, most likely they are but for the price, better look at other options. The easiest solution, forget about those carbs and pick up some used ones in better condition. It is less of a headache and they are more likely going to work, for this ebay is your friend.

Old November 18th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #9
deanomyte
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusrex25 View Post
If you have to ask this question, most likely they are but for the price, better look at other options. The easiest solution, forget about those carbs and pick up some used ones in better condition. It is less of a headache and they are more likely going to work, for this ebay is your friend.
yeah, i was thinking the same thing but just dropped some$$ into a rebuild for both sides, so i'd like to know if i can save this one.

Old November 18th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #10
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

You're a fellow ninjetter in distress, how much are you willing to drop on a set of good carbs?

Old November 18th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
......Does anyone know if each carb should have this part? Not real sure what the plunger,starter does. Are these things even serviceable?
Yes, both are alike.

For each carb: The plunge opens a by-pass fuel passage when you command so from the left handle grip, usually for cold start-ups.
The actuator mechanism may be missing as well.

That picture shows a body with heavy corrosion, so internal passages may be damaged or clogged.
I have seen carbs in better shape not performing properly, even after a lot of tender care and cleaning.

If you insist on rebuilding, it would be great to have a good carburetor as reference, or an experienced friend next to you.

There are very delicate and expensive diaphragms under those black plastic covers, that can be easily damaged just by inexperienced manipulation.

I suggest some reading:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Intake
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #12
deanomyte
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusrex25 View Post
You're a fellow ninjetter in distress, how much are you willing to drop on a set of good carbs?
just shot ya a PM. let me know what ya think.

Old November 18th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #13
deanomyte
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Yes, both are alike.

For each carb: The plunge opens a by-pass fuel passage when you command so from the left handle grip, usually for cold start-ups.
The actuator mechanism may be missing as well.

That picture shows a body with heavy corrosion, so internal passages may be damaged or clogged.
I have seen carbs in better shape not performing properly, even after a lot of tender care and cleaning.

If you insist on rebuilding, it would be great to have a good carburetor as reference, or an experienced friend next to you.

There are very delicate and expensive diaphragms under those black plastic covers, that can be easily damaged just by inexperienced manipulation.

I suggest some reading:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Intake
Thanks a bunch for the reply! I have rebuilt carbs in the past and the internals looked good, all of the necessary vacuum lines and fuel passages are clear. Both diaphragms are in good shape. I'd like to get these functioning as a back up set for the jetting test that are about to start. I'm glad to know that I have tracked down the right part. So there are plungers on either carb and an actuator? How do I remove the plug holding these in I'd like to find out what is in there and what needs to be replaced?