ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 15th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #1
SDninja
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Eli

Motorcycle(s): 2006 ninja

Idle/running issues

I recently been having issues with my bike. It's a 06. As of right now it won't idle without the choke on. When I first got the bike it had a high idle, so I checked the valves, too tight, and adjusted them. Bike ran perfectly. The petcock had a small leak, so rebuilt it. After that idle would hang, but still able to ride. I haven't done anything since. I went out the other day for a ride, warmed up fine, idled fine, rode off. I was at a stop light, I give it some throttle and it won't go past 3k. So I pulled over had the restart the bike with the choke, but it was already warmed up. I had to ride home with the choke still on or it would die, only a mile. Now it won't idle without the choke. I think I checked everything. Valves adjusted, carbs taken apart, cleaned, synced. Idle is set at 2.5 turns, no vac leaks, diaphrams ok. I'm going to check the plugs. Any suggestions/help?

Last futzed with by SDninja; August 15th, 2010 at 07:51 PM.
SDninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #2
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Sounds like a plugged jet/dirty carb, like you are using the choke (an enrichment circuit) to supply gas to the engine. Try some Seafoam or Berrymans B12 in the gas to see if you can clean it.
Did you remove the petcock, empty the gas tank? No dirt could have gotten into the carbs from there?
How did you adjust the idle? Did you measure it with a tach or by "sound"? What made you go to adjust the valves if you thought the idle was too high?
Air box is on correctly, no leaks, filter is in?
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #3
SDninja
ninjette.org newbie

well here's exactly what happened. I bought the bike and it had a high idle, there were no vac leaks and the idle mixture screw wouldn't drop it. So I figured it was the valves and it was, they were too tight. I adjusted them. Also went through the carbs, cleaned and synced them, changed the plugs too. After doing that the bike ran perfectly. I rode it everyday for about a month. I noticed the petcock was leaking so I rebuilt it, no leaks but the idle started to hang at 3k but still able to ride it. This went on for 2 weeks. Then yesterday is when the current problem started. I started the bike like normal, choke on about 30 sec, choke off, idled fine @ 1300, rode off everythings fine. I start to stop, red light, downshift to 2nd, green light, hit the throttle and it bogs down. I can't go past 3k. I pull over and shut off the bike, restart it and it won't idle or run without choke. Ride home about a mile with the choke on. Take the carbs apart again, soak the jets, clean all passages with a wire, put everything back together and still have the same problem. Dies as soon as I back off the choke.

Old August 15th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #4
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

There's a big difference between the idle mixture screws on the carbs themselves and the idle speed adjustment knob under the left side of the carb. Which did you adjust? We can't communicate if we don't speak the same language.
Where was the petcock leaking? How did you repair it? Did you thoroughly clean it out when you replaced the O-rings and gaskets? Did you drain the tank and clean/flush it of all debris when you took off the petcock? Are you getting gas through the petcock in both the run and reserve position if you apply vacuum to it? And you have no vacuum leaks?
You could have gotten dirt into the carbs again from either the petcock or the tank if they weren't thoroughly cleaned. If so, Seafoam or Berryman's will not clean that out.
Since the bike was running well 'till you took the petcock apart, I will still have to go with a dirty carb/jets as your problem. You may have to take it all apart again and blow everything out making sure you didn't miss anything and it's all clean. You could try and drain and flush them with the petcock on prime, making sure there's no dirt in there but I don't think that will help.
And if you do take it apart again, put in an inline fuel filter between the petcocks and carbs - you should have that anyway.Maybe someone else can offer other suggestions.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2010, 08:04 AM   #5
b_eastep
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 07 Z-1000, 07 Ninja 250, 04 Honda Aero

clog in pilot jet? not sure though since that shouldnt matter when you try to rev it.
b_eastep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2010, 06:48 AM   #6
M
ninjette.org member

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 x2, Ninja 650R

Pull the carbs, thoroughly clean all the jets using small brass wire, and re-install. Verify you don't have a vacuum leak anywhere, around the carb boots (they are directional). Also double-check for exhaust leak at the header/engine block.

Old August 18th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #7
SDninja
ninjette.org newbie

well went through the carbs twice. no luck. as soon as i touch the throttle it dies, bike is warmed up not cold. and it still has a hard time idling without choke.

Old August 18th, 2010, 10:24 PM   #8
kkim

did you blow out the jets and passages in the carb with compressed air?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2010, 10:36 PM   #9
SDninja
ninjette.org newbie

yea jets and passages cleaned with a wire and blown out.

Old August 18th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #10
kkim

what happens if you try to increase the idle speed with the idle control knob?

what's the idle speed when you use the choke to keep it running?

Old August 18th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #11
SDninja
ninjette.org newbie

it's backed all the way out right now because increasing makes it want to die too.

Old August 18th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #12
kkim

if you turn it in a couple of turns and use full choke, does the bike start and idle?

Old August 18th, 2010, 11:14 PM   #13
SDninja
ninjette.org newbie

it will start and idle with choke and 2 turns. 1/2 choke idles around 2k-2.5k. it warms up, close the choke it dies. Leave the choke on, blip throttle, it sputters badly. hold throttle not even 1/8 turn it dies.

Old August 19th, 2010, 01:11 AM   #14
kkim

have you checked the plugs to see if they are wet or dry?

Old August 19th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #15
SDninja
ninjette.org newbie

yea i checked the plugs. they're fine.

Old August 19th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #16
kkim

well, I would say you have a fuel delivery problem in your pilot circuit. The plugs should be black/wet during startup.

I assume by you saying you removed the jets to clean them that you removed the mains and pilots in each of the carbs?