Go Back   ninjette.org > Marketplace > Motorcycle-related

Old January 9th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #401
ecotrons
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
The Ninja 250 pregen alternator puts out about 10 amps at idle (120W) and 15 amps at speed (180W). The headlight draws 60W. Then 45W for the EFI. The brake and tail light are 30W together. That means that at idle, the charging system is running a 15W deficit. This is a typical situation at a traffic light and more than a few minutes like that and the battery will drain to the point it wont be able to run or crank.

But since most of the time the bike will be running at speed (with 45W to spare), it should even out as long as there aren't too many other things plugged in such as heated gloves (30W), etc..

Regarding the check engine light, exactly what does it signify? That is, what's broken when its lit? Does it flash with a code or something?
n4mwd, you are talking about the worst case for 15W deficit, with all lights on and idle.

MIL light, or "check engine light", is for our EFI parts diagnostics only. If any of the sensors, like TPS, MAP, IAT, ECT, O2s, is malfunctioning, it will be on. Obviously if you forget to plug in a sensor it will tell you.
No it does not flash, only ON, you'd have to plug in your laptop and read the DTC code. With everybody having a laptop nowadays, flashing code is not worhwhile, I think.
ecotrons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #402
Palero
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk GT 1989 EX250F (Died from left-turning car) 2011 EX250J (Died from SAME left-turning car)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Moose View Post
Got something in the mail today

Sweet! I see the cool new tank petcock replacement!

The NewGen and PreGen petcocks are interchangeable, correct?
Palero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #403
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palero View Post
Sweet! I see the cool new tank petcock replacement!

The NewGen and PreGen petcocks are interchangeable, correct?
yep just need a newgen gasket

Old January 9th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #404
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

The ecotrons fuel tap is a big improvement over previous incarnations of the kit. In past versions you had to drill holes in the tank. However, the new fuel tap is not a petcock. That is where it is lacking. With the OEM petcock, to remove the tank, you just unbolt and disconnect it - no worries about gas leaking out.

With the new fuel tap, to remove the tank you have to drain the tank (by making a flammable mess). There is no way to cut the fuel off. I plan to add inline fuel cutoff valves (it takes two).

Hopefully, future versions of the petcock will incorporate valves so that ON, OFF, and RESERVE will work. That is, when ON, fuel enters the higher tube and is returned to the lower tube. When set to RESERVE, fuel enters the lower tube and is returned to the higher tube. It would also be great if it had a switch to turn off the fuel pump when the valve is OFF and came with its own screens and gaskets.

Old January 9th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #405
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Reserve wouldn't be the same though. With the carbs, the bike sputters and dies a little, but still gives you a solid 30-40 seconds of cruising before you realize *derp! I need to switch to reserve.

The EFI would sputter and die much more quickly if I had to guess...
Maybe @greg737 can help on this subject a little bit.

This is when having the Euro-spec 250R would be nice. It has a fuel light that lights up when there is only a certain amount of fuel left, acting like a reserve tank. Fuel light = need gas.

Although, I guess if the "petcock" had a reserve, the bike would just die, and you could switch it over, and then restart the bike? It would just be annoying having to restart the bike every time you hit the reserve
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #406
n4mwd

The newgens have a fuel gauge on them. I'm not sure if they have a low fuel light. I don't think the kit will impact them in that regard.

If the petcock had a wire probe into the gas, it could measure a low condition by reading the resistance and capacitance of the wire and then light an indicator on the dash. But a petcock with a dual valve in it would work too and be simpler.

Old January 10th, 2012, 06:36 AM   #407
n4mwd

Matt, The fuel pressure regulator and the fuel pump don't look like they were designed for hose clamps. That is, they don't have hose barbs. Both look like they were designed for O-ring fitting connectors. This is especially true of the regulator inlet.

Considering the pressure (3 bar), I am concerned that the barbless hose attachments may vibrate off over time and cause fuel to spill everywhere. Do you know what the original connectors for these look like so we can fabricate them?

Also, regarding the throttle body, there are bypass screw valves under each TB. (Idle passages?) I was wondering if these were being used or if they should be closed off. Mine has an idle screw on the end so it seems like these screw valves are extra.

Old January 10th, 2012, 08:34 AM   #408
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
The newgens have a fuel gauge on them. I'm not sure if they have a low fuel light. I don't think the kit will impact them in that regard.

If the petcock had a wire probe into the gas, it could measure a low condition by reading the resistance and capacitance of the wire and then light an indicator on the dash. But a petcock with a dual valve in it would work too and be simpler.
The petcock on a new gen cant be accessed easily while rolling, but i always liked having a reserve capacity.
One of the ideas i had for the choke lever was to use it as a reserve switch.

Ill weld a lever on to an old petcock and see if it works.
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #409
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
The petcock on a new gen cant be accessed easily while rolling, but i always liked having a reserve capacity.
One of the ideas i had for the choke lever was to use it as a reserve switch.

Ill weld a lever on to an old petcock and see if it works.
I'm just going to start carrying a quart of gas in my trunk. Reserve capacity is better, but it doesn't look like we get to keep that with the conversion. Also, I want to save the choke cable for the economy/sport switch.

Old January 10th, 2012, 09:12 AM   #410
Palero
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk GT 1989 EX250F (Died from left-turning car) 2011 EX250J (Died from SAME left-turning car)

I see that there are 3 possible installation types for this kit:
Pregen 88-94,
Pregen 95-07,
and
Newgen 08-12

The 95 and up models can be ordered with a specific harness for those model years.
Is an 88-94 harness available for this kit yet?

Old January 10th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #411
flurbadurba
ninjette.org member

Name: Adrian

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

i wanna get this done but i've got pod filters. has anybody been able to do efi w/ the k&n r0990 pods?
flurbadurba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #412
Ninja_Moose
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by flurbadurba View Post
i wanna get this done but i've got pod filters. has anybody been able to do efi w/ the k&n r0990 pods?
I am currently setting up my 09 250r with pods and full AreaP for EFI.
Ninja_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2012, 09:48 AM   #413
flurbadurba
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Moose View Post
I am currently setting up my 09 250r with pods and full AreaP for EFI.
nice. i'd hate to undo my pods but i'll order mine as soon as i know it can be done and how to do it. thanks.

Old January 10th, 2012, 10:00 AM   #414
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

Quote:
I don't see why pods would be any hardship. If anything it makes installation simpler as you are not limited by the stock airbox dimensions.

My install of the kit, I actually had to cut the supplied intake boots to ~35mm to fit the stock airbox (2007).

I have a set of r0990 pods on order.

BTW. My kit is installed and working without the o2 sensors. I have the bungs @greg737 mentioned on order from Amazon.

I just have a few things to clean up (fuel plumbing, throttle cable).
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #415
flurbadurba
ninjette.org member

ok i'm liking the sound of things. i'll look for installation guides to see how difficult it would be but i'm thinking i'll be ordering mine soon. thanks again.

Old January 10th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #416
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynjay View Post
BTW. My kit is installed and working without the o2 sensors. I have the bungs @greg737 mentioned on order from Amazon.

I just have a few things to clean up (fuel plumbing, throttle cable).
Link to the amazon O2 bungs please!

Old January 10th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #417
ecotrons
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Matt, The fuel pressure regulator and the fuel pump don't look like they were designed for hose clamps. That is, they don't have hose barbs. Both look like they were designed for O-ring fitting connectors. This is especially true of the regulator inlet.

Considering the pressure (3 bar), I am concerned that the barbless hose attachments may vibrate off over time and cause fuel to spill everywhere. Do you know what the original connectors for these look like so we can fabricate them?

Also, regarding the throttle body, there are bypass screw valves under each TB. (Idle passages?) I was wondering if these were being used or if they should be closed off. Mine has an idle screw on the end so it seems like these screw valves are extra.
Fuel pressure regulators in the future will have barbed tubes.
Fuel pumps not likely. The surface of fuel pump tubes are rough and with a tight hose clamp, the fuel lines will stick to there and not be "vibrated off". Proved by many miles on the road already.

If you still feel uncomfortable about this, you can buy a fuel pump that has the barbs (make sure it has 25L/h plus flow rate, 3bar output pressure and 2A current draw). "Fabricate your own pump" is certainly not cost effective.

The idle screws are pre-adjusted, please read the earlier posts of mine. Do NOT try to change them, or you end up unbalanced cylinders.

There are small things like barbed hoses to be improved. It's matter of how much you want to pay for that.

Old January 10th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #418
ecotrons
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Pod filters should not be a problem. It will likely give more power (more air flow) after some self-tuning or manual tuning.

The stock air box has those "ear" shape plastics pieces to hold the stock carbs. They are not good for air flow dynamics, with Ecotrons' rubber hose adaptors squeezed in there. The whole air flow channels could be narrowed down. We actually cut those "ears" out for throttle body installations. It is recommended to do so for your guys.

If you use pod filters, then you don't have that problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg With Ears.jpg (35.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Ears-cut-off.jpg (38.5 KB, 3 views)

Old January 10th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #419
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Link to the amazon O2 bungs please!
Here is the link. These are mild steel which is not a problem for me since I plan on painting them. There are stainless ones but they were out of stock when I ordered.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Old January 10th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #420
Palero
ninjette.org member

Is there a harness for 88 to 94 Ninjas? I know we have different wiring compared to 95 and up. I had to swap pins when I installed 07 hand controls.

Old January 10th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #421
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Is there a harness for 88 to 94 Ninjas? I know we have different wiring compared to 95 and up. I had to swap pins when I installed 07 hand controls.
so far no engine codes it took me like 5 mins to repin the harness just basing it off of color code and works. i got the bike to idle for a bit but having some fuel problems i think

Old January 10th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #422
Palero
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMSRacer07 View Post
so far no engine codes it took me like 5 mins to repin the harness just basing it off of color code and works. i got the bike to idle for a bit but having some fuel problems i think
Oh no. What kind of fueling issues are you getting on your early newgen?

BtW, how many pins did you have to swap? I think I did 5 to swap my hand controls to 07 controls.

Old January 10th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #423
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Oh no. What kind of fueling issues are you getting on your early newgen?

BtW, how many pins did you have to swap? I think I did 5 to swap my hand controls to 07 controls.
think it was only 5 pins. real easy. and idk if it fuel it starts and idles but Matt is helping me out with it. so will keep posted

Old January 10th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #424
n4mwd

I've decided to just use the ecotron nuts for bungs. The sensor will stick into the pipe about 3/8", however I have been talking to other people and they believe that if not enough of the sensor is in the gas stream, it wont get hot enough to operate and will have to use its internal heater - thus possibly shortening its life. Another reason to use the nuts for bungs is that if you ever need to remove the sensor and it puts up a fight, you have another place to put a wrench on to prevent twisting the bung off.

So 3/8" is a pretty good compromise.

I'm still not very crazy about how heavy it is.

BTW, I said earlier that it was 16mm threads. That was a mistake. Its 18mm x 1.50 threads.

Old January 10th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #425
justinswidebody
ninjette.org member

Name: justin

Motorcycle(s): 250 ninja

So anyone driving there's around? I just finished tonight and took it for a test spin. I already have the oxygen sensors and everything in. I must say the ecu does a lot of learning. At first on my test drive I made a turn and realized the motor had shut off. So I stoped and it took about 5 min before it would crank. After that I drive around for about 20 min stop and go , and the ecu got a lot better. So far I like the kit. Took a while to install but if I where to do it again I could do it in a quarter of the time.
justinswidebody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2012, 10:47 PM   #426
Palero
ninjette.org member

Quote:
think it was only 5 pins. real easy. and idk if it fuel it starts and idles but Matt is helping me out with it. so will keep posted
Thanks for the reply. The reason I'm asking is because El250 said he had to wire up a resistor when moving from an 1988-1994 igniter to a 1994-2007 style igniter, but it looks like that resistor is for the anti-hotwire feature. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...077#post425077

Old January 10th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #427
el250
no such thing as ninjette

Name: AP

Motorcycle(s): (2) 1987 EX250E2, 1989 EL250B3, 1991 EL250E1, (3) 2005 EX250F19, 2007 EX250F7F, soon to add more..

Quote:
Is the pinning like this:

ecotrons wiring -> main wiring harness color 1988-1994 (1995-2007)

keysw +12vdc:
pink -> red (brown/black)

coil 1:
gray -> black

coil 2:
brown -> green

pickups:
green -> black/white
orange -> yellow
Attached Images
File Type: png pinview.png (2.4 KB, 0 views)
el250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #428
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by el250 View Post
Is the pinning like this:

ecotrons wiring -> main wiring harness color 1988-1994 (1995-2007)

keysw +12vdc:
pink -> red (brown/black)

coil 1:
gray -> black

coil 2:
brown -> green

pickups:
green -> black/white
orange -> yellow
yeah thats how i pinned it, but what does the resistor do? i never saw that part. let me know when u can might solve my problem

Old January 10th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #429
el250
no such thing as ninjette

Name: AP

Motorcycle(s): (2) 1987 EX250E2, 1989 EL250B3, 1991 EL250E1, (3) 2005 EX250F19, 2007 EX250F7F, soon to add more..

Quote:
yeah thats how i pinned it, but what does the resistor do? i never saw that part. let me know when u can might solve my problem

I don't think the ecotrons ECU cares about the safety switches and does not have anti-hotwire. So those wires are not used (Green/Blue and Gray) and no need for resistor for 1988-1994 bikes.

It even looks like the Black/Yellow ground wire isn't used from the igniter connector of the main wiring harness as the ECU gets its main ground through another wire?
el250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #430
setasai

How long exactly is the 650R throttle cables? I'm wondering if the Versys or ZX series throttle cables are long enough. The versys throttle cable has an adjuster nut just like the 250R carb throttle cables but I have no idea how long it is.

Old January 11th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #431
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
How long exactly is the 650R throttle cables? I'm wondering if the Versys or ZX series throttle cables are long enough. The versys throttle cable has an adjuster nut just like the 250R carb throttle cables but I have no idea how long it is.
I have the 2009 650 cables here. These are rough measurements:

Accel - sheath = 32" cable = 35.5"
Decel - sheath = 30.5" cable = 36.5"

The ZX has their own thing and is incompatible with the Ninja. According to Ron Ayers, the versys has the same kind of cables as the 650 with no nut adjusters at the end.

Old January 11th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #432
setasai

Got it... Cool thanks for the measurements. I went ahead and bought some 650 cables off ebay as well. Hope it gets shipped soon. I'll probably get started early next week.

Old January 11th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #433
n4mwd

I'm having problems with the black rubber tubing. It looks like its 3/8" ID and the biggest thing in the kit is 5/16". Is anybody else having problems with it?

Old January 11th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #434
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinswidebody View Post
So anyone driving there's around? I just finished tonight and took it for a test spin. I already have the oxygen sensors and everything in. I must say the ecu does a lot of learning. At first on my test drive I made a turn and realized the motor had shut off. So I stoped and it took about 5 min before it would crank. After that I drive around for about 20 min stop and go , and the ecu got a lot better. So far I like the kit. Took a while to install but if I where to do it again I could do it in a quarter of the time.
I just road mine around about a 5 mile loop through my neighborhood (in open loop mode since my o2 sensor bungs won't be here until next week). rpm above 4000 worked fine, definitely more torque and acceleration was noticeably more brisk.

Below 4000 it didn't really want to run. It would idle all day but the transition to > 4000 took some work. I'm sure open loop mode will fix that.

Old January 12th, 2012, 06:13 AM   #435
Ninja_Moose
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
I'm having problems with the black rubber tubing. It looks like its 3/8" ID and the biggest thing in the kit is 5/16". Is anybody else having problems with it?
I am having a similar problem with the high pressure tubing, it only fits the injectors and the tee, everything else to too small.
Ninja_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2012, 06:54 AM   #436
justinswidebody
ninjette.org member

I just went to a auto parts place and bought 2' of 1/4 fuel line. It was like 4 dollars. I had better luck with that and no leaks. Mine right now has issues w popping when shifting gears and decelerating. Turns out the 2012 ninjas use different cables which caused tiny complications with my install. However I think I'm gonna order the 650 cables and put the injectors on top . Matts working with me trying to figure out the popping when shifting gears and decel. Sometimes decel is really smooth cause it cuts the fuel.

Flynjay,

My bike still runs a little ruff under 2500-3000 rpms. I'm gonna hook up my laptop today and see what's going on.

Old January 12th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #437
n4mwd

Fuel Hose

I'm going to try to get to Napa and get some of this stuff.

Its alcohol resistant 5/16" high pressure tubing. The only thing I'm not certain of is the outside diameter. It needs to be thin enough that it can fit on the fuel pump ports next to all the other stuff that is there.

Also, I'm going to get a package of the correct clamps. The ones in the kit are not the right kind for high pressure fuel.

On a 3/8" high pressure fuel line, there is about 5 lbs of force trying to pop the connections off - so they need to be tight fitting. Basically, if I can pull it off by yanking on it, then its too loose.

I'm going to use the clear blue 1/4" hose that came with the kit for the return line. Its low pressure and any clamp will work with that.

Old January 12th, 2012, 08:13 AM   #438
justinswidebody
ninjette.org member

I got those clamps from advances auto parts. That's what I used on mine. They were about 2.99 for 4 clamps.

Old January 12th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #439
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
@justinswidebody are you sure that popping is caused by the EFI system? I bet the EFI is going to run leaner than the carbs on decel. the Kleen system leans the exhaust further to try and burn off all unburnt fuel (from rich carbs) and it might be worth it to try the bike with/without the Kleen system to see if there's any difference.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #440
justinswidebody
ninjette.org member

Hey guys ,

Just so everyone knows. Make sure you get the oxygen sensors inside the exhaust tubing enough. You do not want to be shallow. I double checked my work today and realized I measure wrong. So I cut my bungs off and rewelded them where the o2 sensor hits the middle of the airflow and its a night and day difference in driving. Much better now.

Justin