ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 5th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #1
jola
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250R

Shield after 120 miles of ND

So other parts of the country besides the midwest have a disgusting amount of bugs that love to sacrifice themselves upon the helmet? Honestly, when I was on the east coast I'd get a bug or two per ride and I never had to pick bugs out of my gear!

It is a little tough to take pictures of a clear shield in focus...

jola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #2
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Nice. I've had that before.

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #3
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

you got the size beat, but i think kkim's got the record for overall coverage of a bugg'd out shield...or close to it.

got bugs?

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #4
kkim

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...highlight=bugs
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #5
jola
ninjette.org member

They are mostly gnats and mosquitoes.

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #6
jola
ninjette.org member

Deeeeeeeeeeefinitely have me beat.

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #7
kkim

I've found the best way to clean them off is to use a paper towel and under running water, keep on wiping them off with the paper towel. Try to catch them before they dry and they come off a lot easier. After you're done, you should have a nice clean visor... if not, use a bit of plastic or glass cleaner on a paper towel and get the rest of the "grease" that's left behind.

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #8
jola
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I've found the best way to clean them off is to use a paper towel and under running water, keep on wiping them off with the paper towel. Try to catch them before they dry and they come off a lot easier. After you're done, you should have a nice clean visor... if not, use a bit of plastic or glass cleaner on a paper towel and get the rest of the "grease" that's left behind.
That is actually how I've been cleaning them, though I'm usually too lazy right after my ride and normally wait a day. Most of them still come off pretty easily, except for the ones that hit straight on I suppose.

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #9
kkim

Yeah, some bug guts are just plain nasty and seem to contain like a heavy duty axle grease that just doesn't wash away with plain water.

Old July 5th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #10
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

I can beat that. lol
Mid Aug night ride, with corn fields on both sides for about 20 miles. better have a paper towel handy and be able to summon up large quantities of spit. Im talkin lots and lots of BIG bugs. The kind that make you wish you had something to cover your neck big.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #11
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Best way to get them off. You don't even have to pull the shield.

Dampen a rag or a few paper towels, set on your helmet and let the water absorb into the guts. This softens it and reduces the chances of scratches. Once soft (only a few minutes normally), wipe away and you have a clean helmet.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #12
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Microfibre cloths all the way. Do I have to remind you guys that using paper towels on your clear plastics, including shields, is a big no no? Paper towels contain wood fibers. They WILL scratch your plastic. Unfortunately, you don't realize it until you've used them a few times and start wondering where all these scratches on your shield or windscreen came from. Just SAY NO to paper towels!!
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #13
kkim

that's why I'm doing mine under running water and gently using the paper towel to float the bug parts off while using the water as a lubricant.

never used a microfiber towel to do mine, but I can throw the paper towel away when I'm done. You going to wash that towel with bug guts all over it with the rest of your clothes? Have you ever smelled dead bug juice?

Old July 5th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #14
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Just leave the faceshield sitting in a shallow sinkful of water for a good while, say an hour. After a long soak, the dried bug innards will just wipe right off.

Old July 5th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #15
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
that's why I'm doing mine under running water and gently using the paper towel to float the bug parts off while using the water as a lubricant.

never used a microfiber towel to do mine, but I can throw the paper towel away when I'm done. You going to wash that towel with bug guts all over it with the rest of your clothes? Have you ever smelled dead bug juice?
Even under running water paper towels will scratch plastic. I threw out a ton of shields before I figured out (and read confirming proof) that those invisible wood fibers in paper towels will eventually make very visible scratches. It's a cumulative thing that you don't notice until the shield becomes so scratched it's useless and of course by then you've already ruined your shield.
When the coating of bugs gets really bad I also clean my shield under running water, but I use dishwashing detergent and a NEW sponge to loosen the bug debris and then let them air dry. Maybe not the best solution, but better than the damage a paper towel could inflict. That's only after I had dislodged what bug parts I could with just running water first. Even with the advances they've made with scratch protection coatings in the last few decades, it's still plastic and prone to scratching every time you touch it. Touch it too much with anything, even sometihing supposedly as "soft" as a paper towel and it will leave it's mark. The same also goes for microfibre cloths. They're not the best solution, but they're the best we have right now. I hear you on the problems of washing the microfibres, it's a massive PITA to get them clean, but it's still way cheaper for a 3-pack of microfibre towels at WalMart than it would be to buy a new shield.

Old July 5th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #16
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

I run it under lukewarm water and rub gently with my hands then let dry. I hate getting hit by big bugs that knocks your head back and leave a big splat on your shields. Make you wonder how the ppl without shields do with all bug guts on their faces...ewwwwwwww

Old July 5th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #17
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

I already have a few scratches that cant account for on my clear shield, my mirrored one does not have any scratches yet, but it tends to show finger prints very very well.
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #18
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Here is a pic of mine after my early morning run to Houston.

IMG_0018.jpg
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #19
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post
I already have a few scratches that cant account for on my clear shield, my mirrored one does not have any scratches yet, but it tends to show finger prints very very well.
The problem with mirrored shields is that they tend to chip on the edges first. That's a problem you never deal with with a smoked or plain clear shield. Plus any scratch on a mirrored surface like that seems to show up twice as bad. Be very careful installing and removing them. I love my red iridium shield, but it takes twice the maintenence of normal shields.

Old July 5th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #20
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven View Post
I run it under lukewarm water and rub gently with my hands then let dry. I hate getting hit by big bugs that knocks your head back and leave a big splat on your shields. Make you wonder how the ppl without shields do with all bug guts on their faces...ewwwwwwww
Tim Allen in 'WILDHOGs' anyone?
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #21
ScorpionNinja

I have a Scorpion EXO-400 Radiaum Helmet. I havent used my Clear visor in awhile. (due to morning rides to work here in Mi. its LIGHT enuff to wear my Dark Smoke visor, so i can just Leave it on all day for the ride back home,and such!)
Soo...yea i use a wet paper towel, running water... etc! If im in the bathroom at Mc D's, or home,work. works good enuff for me. I do have afew scratches on my Dark visor, due to 2-3 bugs, and zipper from my hoodie one time while grabbing clothes to pack in my backpack.

I have a TIP for you Scorpion helmet ppl!!!

Have you read the manufactures Cleaning/Washing instructions?
They want you to soak a cloth-towel LUKE WARM and set it over the Visor to set for 1min, then wipe off remaining bugs,etc!

DONT USE HOT HOT HOT WATER! I made the MISTAKE of holding my Dark Smoke Visor under running HOT tap-water... and i saw some weird stuff ozzoing off. IT WAS THE ANTI-FOG COATING!!!
The outside of my Dark Smoke Visor Doesnt have the anti-fog ability, but the inside still does. If i Breathe on the outside of the Visor, if fogs up... then goes away, at least after afew Sec's. So far during the mild cool/warm mornings to work i have NP's with Visor fogging. Im sure Later this Oct/Nov and next Mar/April ill have FOGGING Visor!!!

PS. im looking to get a New EXO-1000 Helmet, but i really HATE the color/graphics choices of the 1000 series! The 700 series like Scorpion EXO-700 (Red - white base, with 'scorpion' on front of mouth, and the skulls/cross on sides and back) IS AWESOME! but wtf doesnt Scorpion make their 1000 with better Graphics?
I emailed scorpionusa.com and gave them a review and feedback with the time ive so far been using their helmet,jacket,pants. Also i asked them if they would Custom make me a EXO-1000 but with the EXO-700 (Red) paint/graphics scheme!!! I Pray theyll make it for me.

Old July 5th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #22
ScorpionNinja

Oh i wanted to add... yea for you midwest folks, i just wanted to remind ya of sumin'. So, you HATE bugs , we all do.... but what TIME of night/morning are you riding? in the Morning omw to work (530am) and only pick up like 2 bugs or so.

Now, if you ride within 30mins of Dusk, and those 2 hrs After the Sun goes down... this time Seems to me, to be the WORST time for Bugs!!! lol

830pm-9:15pm dusk for me, and i went for a ride nites ago after 11:30pm and didnt really have ANY problems with my visor guttin' up!
So if your able to Pick your times to Ride, if in the dark... wait 2hrs after the suns down. Well thats great for Mi. here, but dunno bout other states in the US.

Old July 6th, 2009, 04:51 AM   #23
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Looks just like one of my rides through the tidal swamps out here!