ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 24th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #1
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

emission compliant performance mods

I see threads about headers and exhausts, jetting, removing snorkels. How far can you go with performance mods and keeping emissions legal?

Old June 24th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Are emissions tested on bikes in NJ?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #3
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

"When your motorcycle is inspected, you'll be asked to show your valid motorcycle rider's license, the motorcycle's valid registration, and proof of insurance. Then the following items on the motorcycle will be checked:

Handlebars or grips no more than 15 inches higher than the operator's seat
Tires
Seat, handholds, and footrests
Adequate brakes on front and rear wheels
Steering, suspension, and wheel alignment
Horn
Red rear light and reflector
Stoplight and headlight
Rearview mirror
Exhaust system
License plates with current decal"
am i screwed for doing the fender chop on the rear reflector? or does having the two screw reflectors on the bottom licence plate holes adequate? it does say they check the exhaust system.

Old June 24th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #4
kkim

technically, you still have a rear fender.

do other bikes in your area have mods like that? if so, how are they passing? I have a feeling inspectors look the other way if the infractions are not major. What is "major" may depend on how that inspector is feeling at that particular time, though.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #5
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

unfortunately im a lone wolf in my woods out here, and i havn't really noticed what other riders have been doing. even the ones with custom mods, who knows what hell they go through to swap exhausts the day before inspection. I used to do that with my car.

Basically the reason im wondering, is because the bike is completely reliable in stock form, and it will be payed off next july. I'm thinking of commuting with it, and doing occasional weekend runs with it, but perhaps picking up a 600cc for faster weekend rides. In other words, "buy an exhaust, jet, and remove snorkel" vs second bike.

Old June 24th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #6
kkim

I'd leave it stock for as long as you can stand it. For me, that was the trip from the dealer to my garage at home the day I bought it.

Old June 24th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #7
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

i would love to keep it stock. im spending alot of time working on my body's form when cornering, and my throttle control. i think all the money i wanna spend on this bike for torque i could put towards a 600cc for when i feel like going a little faster occasionally on the weekends.

Old June 24th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #8
kkim

yes, learn to ride the ninjette properly to get the most out of it as a rider and you'll find the skills you acquire will help you immensely (save your life?) when you decide it's time for a larger displacement bike.

Too many fall in love with the capabilities/looks/penis size of a larger bike and neglect to work on riding skills prior to moving up or purchasing a new, larger sport bike. We have all been brainwashed to think bigger/more/newer is better and don't really maximize the 250R before deciding it's "not enough". I'm still learning techniques to ride the 250 better/faster/safer.

Old June 24th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #9
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

well its not about my thoughts about bigger is better. its more about when i hit the throttle on the 250 going straight, its not as exciting anymore. I have to admit i haven't touched a knee yet (good thing because i still havn't ordered pucks yet), but im already leaning off the bike. I still catch myself making mistakes sometimes, which is why i'm not in a rush to grab a bigger bike right now (waiting until next season). So I think it's pretty clear i should just keep the bike in stock form, use it as much as i can for technique. And next year i'll see how i'll feel. But nothing immediate this year. Thanks!

Old June 24th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #10
kkim

yep, that's why the 250R in stock form is such a great "learners" bike... it's very forgiving, yet it can be a blast if ridden to the max.

for more/cheaper/easier to handle power, shimming the needles and removing the snorkel would be my recommendations. a couple of cents for washers, some hours learning about your bike and it really helps to make a fun bike, even funner.

no inspector would ever catch those mods.

Old June 24th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #11
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

excellent. thanks for the tips.