ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 2nd, 2009, 08:09 PM   #1
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

Need help deciding what kind of front stand to get

I've done a search on this already and I turned up conflicting information. I am wondering which front stand would be best to get.

Argument I found for fork stand: "more natural" - I guess it would be like it's just sitting on the ground, with the forks compressed, instead of stretching them out?

Argument I found for triple tree stand: "you can do more work on it" - What exactly would you be able to do to the bike while on this stand that you wouldn't be able to do with the fork stand?

I'm an idiot, I don't even know what a triple tree is!! Which stand would be ideal? Which is easiest to get the bike onto? I'm not exactly a bodybuilder.
Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2009, 08:21 PM   #2
minuslars
ninjette.org member

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '03 EX250

Triple T is where the forks are connected to the handlebars. With a Triple T stand, you can do maintenance on the forks. Alternatively, you can just get a fork stand and put a couple of cinder blocks under the engine when you feel like doing fork work.
minuslars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2009, 05:52 AM   #3
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Using the stem lift (under the lower triple) lets you lift the bike and have none of the bike's weight on the forks. You could now remove the forks whereas using a fork lift keeps the bikes weight on the forks. Pit Bull also makes a convertible front setup which will let you do it either way.

I've been using stands for years and they all seem "easy" to use now, but I remember back when the first few times I used front stands they were borrowed at the track. I was more comfortable with stem lift, just seemed easier to lift and less likely to dump the bike as I lifted it (in my head).

One thing to keep in mind is your rear stand. The higher the lift back there, the more difficult the lift up front. You want a rear stand that lifts that rear tire just a few inches off the ground.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2009, 07:55 AM   #4
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Jessica, when I was looking before (haven't gotten one just yet, but am planning to get one soon) the question I asked is whether there is any work that we can do with one that we can't do with the other... the answer was that I can do some maintenance with the stem lift that I can't do with the fork lift, but that there's nothing I could do with the fork lift that I can't do with the stem lift... so for me that sealed it - I'll get the one that lets me do any maintenance rather than the one that restricts me.... I'm ordering the pitbull stem lift from oneida suzuiki soon...

Old October 3rd, 2009, 09:06 AM   #5
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Triple T lifts are more versitile, but usally more expensive. I got my fork lift in a package with my rear stand, but had I needed to buy them seperately I would have bought the Stem lift for versitility.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:27 PM   #6
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
I'm ordering the pitbull stem lift from oneida suzuiki soon...

Oneida NY?

What about these:
http://www.redlinestands.com/catalog...components.com

The pricing seems good compared to the pitbulls and they have lots of nice options including stands on wheels so you can push it around the shop/garage. I'm asking because I'll need some stands soon.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2009, 03:51 PM   #7
noche_caliente

Greg- that's the one - they have the best prices I was able to find when I was searching before - and I got the rear stand sent with free shipping

Old October 3rd, 2009, 04:06 PM   #8
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

I used to go there to get parts for my Katana. Used to be a custom VW buggy shop a few more miles down route 5. It was nice because I would go zipping up route 13 next to the falls.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 04:26 PM   #9
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Well yikes... I went to 2 dealerships. The first one only had 2 really crappy-looking rear stands in stock. The second didn't know that different varieties of front stands existed, nor did they have any in stock.

I ended up just buying a rear stand -- not sure what the brand was, as they only had the floor model left in stock, but it sure is wobbly! :S They wanted over $200 for a Pitbull!!

Old October 3rd, 2009, 04:31 PM   #10
noche_caliente

Are you sure you trust something that is wobbly?

I don't know what shipping to CA would do to it, but I got my pitbull from Oneida for $144.95

Old October 3rd, 2009, 04:41 PM   #11
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Here's the one I just received:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...Q5fAccessories

$109 Shipped!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2009, 04:52 PM   #12
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

On the Buell forums the T-Rex was one that was recommended mostly based on price. Most of the people are using Pitbulls. The thing I didn't like about the Pitbull rear was the roller on the swingarm stand. To use that safely you almost need a front stand or a front wheel chock. I could just see the bike rolling off those rollers, hitting the ground, and falling over.

Here's a tip from my Suzuki days (500 pounds wet)... Put the bike on the side stand, place the rear stand in position, and lever the bike up from there. No need to hold the bike vertically with one hand and try to put the stand in place with the other. Once you get enough weight on the stand it will not fall over. Give it a try with a helper a couple of times to make sure your stand is strong enough to do it.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 04:54 PM   #13
danknation
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
On the Buell forums the T-Rex was one that was recommended mostly based on price. Most of the people are using Pitbulls. The thing I didn't like about the Pitbull rear was the roller on the swingarm stand. To use that safely you almost need a front stand or a front wheel chock. I could just see the bike rolling off those rollers, hitting the ground, and falling over.

Here's a tip from my Suzuki days (500 pounds wet)... Put the bike on the side stand, place the rear stand in position, and lever the bike up from there. No need to hold the bike vertically with one hand and try to put the stand in place with the other. Once you get enough weight on the stand it will not fall over. Give it a try with a helper a couple of times to make sure your stand is strong enough to do it.
It should be, thats how my pops and I got mine into his rear stand he uses for his Harley. It just cradles the rear wheel and then you strap through the rim.
danknation is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2009, 04:54 PM   #14
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

I physically cannot get the bike up onto the rear stand. LOL... My boyfriend was helping to hold the bike vertical and I was pushing down on the stand... and it wouldn't go up! I actually lifted both feet off the ground and was using my entire body weight, and it wouldn't go! Is this a badly designed stand (not enough leverage), or do I just suck?

Old October 3rd, 2009, 04:56 PM   #15
noche_caliente

Jessica - I think it's not designed very well, as I've lifted mine with my husband or one of the local guys sitting on the bike to keep it vertical- I'm only 5'3 and not terribly strong, but it's not a problem for me to lift it....

Old October 3rd, 2009, 04:57 PM   #16
kkim

can your bf put the bike up on the stand?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2009, 05:34 PM   #17
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

My Suzuki stand was difficult for me too, needed a little more leverage on the handle. Sounds like you weigh about 90-100 pounds. Also if the wheels are not very good, they will not roll under the bike which takes energy away from lifting. Try a nice smooth piece of plywood under the back of the bike and see if it rolls better. If you still can't make it work, probably better send it back and get something with a longer lever arm.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 07:24 PM   #18
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I'm CHEAP. I just went into Harbor Freight and left with this for $32:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=99701

...after 20% off coupon:
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...00&single=true

I couldn't find the 10mm swingarm spools:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66926

...(or any spools for that matter) so I bought the paddle adapters for lifting the swingarm without spools:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66198

I would have also purchased their other rear stand:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66192

...with it's corresponding front fork adapters:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=65621

...but I couldn't carry that on my bike. It was hard enough to lash the other flat-boxed one to my backpack, but when I was outside doing it, an employee came up to me and excitedly pointed out this motorcycle lift for $50:

harbor_freight_lift 001.jpg harbor_freight_lift 002.jpg

FIFTY FREAKIN' DOLLARS!!! He said that they had never sold one and so they were getting rid of it. It was marked down to $150 dollars but he was offering it for $50. I couldn't get that thing home in a car, much less on my motorcycle. Sure enough, it was snapped up in a few minutes by another lucky guy. It took me so long to get my stuff lashed to me and my bike that another shopper struck up a conversation with me and asked if I had seen the $150 lift (it was worth several hundred at least). I told him that it had just sold for $50 and he started cursing up a storm. I guess I wasn't the only one disappointed!

He said other stores were also likely clearancing theirs but YMMV regarding the price. He said to mention that they sold one for $50 at the Escondido store and see if that influences them. Worth a shot if you have the ability. Me? I don't even own a car, much less a truck which would be needed to get that home! Even then, I can't keep it in my apartment and I don't even have any real tools (left 'em all when I rode cross-country to move here).

I'd like to get the other stand with front fork adapters but then I'd be spending $64 + $10 + $8 when I could have had that beauty for $50!

Oh, and it's true what they say about Harbor Freight tools... you get what you pay for! Firstly, the assembly instructions tell you how to assemble the plates that attach the spool or optional paddle adapters WHICH ARE ALREADY ASSEMBLED. To add insult to injury, they do not tell you how to assemble the stand, which is NOT assembled (in three parts). The blow-up diagram shows in completely disasssembled (far more than three parts). Even if the assembly instructions provided were needed, the few steps even misnumber the parts they are talking about. The actual assembly much be interpreted from the blow-up diagram. Also, the left and right pieces have the bolts on opposite sides and they are both the same in the diagram. They just cut & pasted one side of the diagram to the other without even flipping it so even the screws are going in the wrong way! Then, after I couldn't find a screwdriver to fit the first bolt screw, I realized that it was mis-molded and full of metal ikn the head so it couldn't fit ANY screwdriver in it. I had to tighten the nut with a wrench and hold the screw on the other side with vice grips until it was close enough for friction to finish on the nut side. The other 5 bolt screws/nuts were fine. The paddles couldn't lift the tire off the ground unless they were placed on the VERY tip of the swingarm. Even then, it's only BARELY enough to spin the tire (so little clearance that I literally could not see a gap but I didn't put my head on the ground to look). It wouldn't have that problem with the spools. Perhaps I should install the paddles upside-down, though that looks precarious.

Anyway, it works. I can spin my tire and lube my chain more easily now. I was hoping to use both of them to change my rear tire soon but if I try to use it to balance my tire scudman-style, I will fail misearbly because one paddle droops down (I'd be using the other stand for holding the bike up).

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that I have leaky forks, so perhaps I shouldn't go with the other stand + fork adapters so I can service them. I'm not confident that I can do this myself, so I'm wondering how much it costs to have that done professionally (disassemble, bleed and fill fork oil; replace seals, reassemble). Can anyone estimate or give me a ballpark figure? Thanks.

Man, I am RAMBLING. Hope it's informative enough.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2009, 08:54 PM   #19
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Guess I should check our nearest store an see if they have the lift marked down, that would be sweet.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 09:15 PM   #20
rockNroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonne View Post
I physically cannot get the bike up onto the rear stand. LOL... My boyfriend was helping to hold the bike vertical and I was pushing down on the stand... and it wouldn't go up! I actually lifted both feet off the ground and was using my entire body weight, and it wouldn't go! Is this a badly designed stand (not enough leverage), or do I just suck?
The higher the stand lifts the bike, the harder it is to lift... it's a leverage thing. How high is the bottom of your rear tire from the ground when on the stand, and are you using spools or swing arm contact?

Old October 3rd, 2009, 10:26 PM   #21
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

I got a cheap ass rear stand off of ebay or $42.00, it works fine...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...Q5fAccessories Free shipping too!!!
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #22
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Jessica, This may work for you. I put spools on the swingarm to acommodate the rear lift (Redline). Before lifting the rear, I put a bungee on the front brake--makes the bike more stable allowing the lift`s wheels to get under the bike. I also fabricated a wooden block that fits under the centrestand which allowa the bike to be almost vertical. I then hold the seat strap and push the lever down. You might want to do that with assistance from BF. Also, after the bike is lifted, release the bungee on the brake. Hope that helps.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #23
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Well I ended up needing a rear stand before I could wait to order one, went with a Haul Master from Harbor Freight for $40 (not the aluminum one) and splurged and got the front fork adapters for another $10. The leverage is a bit low and I had to bend the stand out to fit the swingarm on my 440 pound Buell, but it does work. I need to modify the front fork adapters, the Buell has different length fork mounts, so I need to alter one of the adapters to make up the difference.

For being cheap it is decent enough. I will say that having a whole bike lift would have been great for a couple of things I was doing. Going to have to look into that. Also the tire washing thing that Harbor Freight has... Two rollers with a little ramp to get the wheel on and allows you to turn the wheel.

Old October 14th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #24
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Pit Bull Front Forklift Stand

Hi, i have a rear pitbull stand, and love it!

now im looking for a Front stand.

* Does anyone here have the Pitbull forklift front stand
F0015-000SM.jpgpit_bull_forklift_front_142.jpg

I went to a store that sells them here, and put one up to my ninja 250R. the Forks barely seem to Rest (center) on the front stand Pegs? Does the Pitbull forklift front stand truely "FIT" our ninja 250Rs WITHOUT adapters,pins?

Sooo, as far as 'PIN's listing says our 250Rs '08-'09, would req. Pin #1
pit_bull_front_stand_pins_142.jpg
Now would that PIN #1 be used for the "NEWFRONT stand", or "Forklift converter - stand"? OR... would PIN #1 be used too extend/lengthen, the stock forklift front stands arms to better "Widen" spacing for a MORE Stable fit?

Ive gone over pitbulls website, pics, etc and im just confused and uncertain of what i need to buy!

:HELP:

-thanks
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2009, 03:22 AM   #25
rockNroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionNinja View Post
Hi, i have a rear pitbull stand, and love it!

now im looking for a Front stand.

* Does anyone here have the Pitbull forklift front stand
Attachment 4579Attachment 4580

I went to a store that sells them here, and put one up to my ninja 250R. the Forks barely seem to Rest (center) on the front stand Pegs? Does the Pitbull forklift front stand truely "FIT" our ninja 250Rs WITHOUT adapters,pins?

Sooo, as far as 'PIN's listing says our 250Rs '08-'09, would req. Pin #1
Attachment 4581
Now would that PIN #1 be used for the "NEWFRONT stand", or "Forklift converter - stand"? OR... would PIN #1 be used too extend/lengthen, the stock forklift front stands arms to better "Widen" spacing for a MORE Stable fit?

Ive gone over pitbulls website, pics, etc and im just confused and uncertain of what i need to buy!

:HELP:

-thanks
The adapter pins fit up inside the steering stem, used on a stem lift stand like this

You can get an adapter so a fork stand can be used as a stem lift, this would also require a pin for fitting up inside the steering stem...

The fork stand is pretty much universal and requires no pins.

Hope this helped

Old October 15th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #26
noche_caliente

As for where to buy one, my suggestion is Oneida Suzuki in NY. Even with shipping, I think it was $148 for me - couldn't find a better price when I searched a couple of months ago, and the same held true last year when I bought my rear stand from them. My dad has ordered parts from them for the v-strom and never had any problems either, so seems like they're a great company to work with all around.