ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 11th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #1
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

Is this a bike-"selling" scam? Has anyone dealt with Worldpay?

Has anyone here bought a bike on the internet sight unseen?

Here is a hypothetical situation: There is a 2006 bike worth $6000, advertised on the internet under City A for $2000. The bike is described to be in showroom condition. It looks good in the pic, but the pic itself is over a year old. It has only 5000 miles on the odometer, and is under extended warranty for 2 more years. The buyer emails the seller about the bike, and the seller tells the buyer that the bike is in fact in city B, 2000 miles away, and to make the situation more complicated, the seller himself is in Europe, and says that the transaction is to be done through a company called Worldpay. The method is for the buyer to pay into Worldpay, Worldpay will ship the bike from City B to City A; the buyer will have 3 days to inspect the bike, and has the right to not go through with the deal if the bike falls short of the description, in which case Worldpay would ship the bike back to City B. The one way B->-A shipping is included in the purchase price, and the A->-B return shipping, if applicable, would be charged against the seller. The buyer writes the seller that a friend who lives in City B could go and check out the bike. The seller wrote back, saying that the bike is in the custody of Worldpay in City B, and Worldpay would not allow the bike to be viewed unless the viewer is accompanied by the seller, who unfortunately is in Europe. The buyer makes an offer by email of $1600 for the bike as described; the seller wrote back and accepted it, and asked the buyer to go through the transaction with Worldpay, giving the buyer the email address of Worldpay@consultant.com. The buyer does not consider this email necessarily belonging to Worldpay, i.e. could be fake although Worldpay does exist on google. The reply from "Worldpay" confirms that there is such a bike in their custody in City B, but, yes, it cannot be viewed unless the viewer is accompanied by the owner, who happens to be in Europe, so, no, the bike cannot be viewed, but as explained by the seller, once the $1600 has been paid to Worldpay, it will be held there until the bike has been shipped to the buyer, the buyer has inspected the bike and okayed it within the first 3 days of the bike's arrival, and finalized the deal, then the $1600 will be paid to the seller, minus the shipping cost and the transaction fee. The buyer went into Worldpay.com and found the following 5 point procedure (verbatim):

Step 1: The buyer and seller agree to the terms and details of the transaction.

Step 2: The buyer sends payment to a WorldPay agent. Payment is verified and deposited into a trust account.

Step 3: We ship the merchandise to the buyer, knowing that the buyer's payment is secured.

Step 4: The buyer accepts the merchandise after having the opportunity to inspect it.

Step 5: WorldPay transfer the funds to the seller after all conditions of the transaction are met.

The thing is this. In this entire convoluted sequence, there is nothing to prove to the buyer that the bike even exists (since the email address could be fake), and once the $1600 is sent (by credit card or whatever), it may just have gone into a blackhole. The buyer does has one more thing to do, which is to call Worldpay's HQ, which is in the UK, when their office opens on Monday.

Has anyone here had any experience dealing with Worldpay in a situation like this? What would you do in such a circumstance?

AM
Anthony_marr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #2
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Scam
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #3
ARF07
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6

All I know is that if this were legit, why would the have to do all this stuff for cents on the $$. Why not just sell it normally? If I were selling MY bike, would I do all that? The simplest answer is that there is something wrong here. Just my opinion though, no personal experience.
ARF07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Scam

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #5
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Sure sounds awfully complicated for something as simple as buying a used motorcycle...

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #6
killerkay3
=°°=

Name: Imran

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha R6 / 2008 Green Ninja 250 (Sold)

if the buyer will not sell to you directly, its most likely a scam

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #7
andrewexd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 GSXR600 (N250 sold :( )

read the 1st sentence and knew it was a scam. I did read the rest and of course it is a scam. Deal locally, I wouldn't want to buy a bike before I saw it anyway, unless they were a friend or if you could have someone trusted take a look.
andrewexd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #8
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewexd View Post
read the 1st sentence and knew it was a scam.
Ditto... actually I knew it by your question, even before reading the first sentence.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #9
TogaLive
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Austin

Motorcycle(s): None yet, Ninja 250r to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_marr View Post
Has anyone here bought a bike on the internet sight unseen?

Here is a hypothetical situation: There is a 2006 bike worth $6000, advertised on the internet under City A for $2000. The bike is described to be in showroom condition. It looks good in the pic, but the pic itself is over a year old. It has only 5000 miles on the odometer, and is under extended warranty for 2 more years. The buyer emails the seller about the bike, and the seller tells the buyer that the bike is in fact in city B, 2000 miles away, and to make the situation more complicated, the seller himself is in Europe, and says that the transaction is to be done through a company called Worldpay. The method is for the buyer to pay into Worldpay, Worldpay will ship the bike from City B to City A; the buyer will have 3 days to inspect the bike, and has the right to not go through with the deal if the bike falls short of the description, in which case Worldpay would ship the bike back to City B. The one way B->-A shipping is included in the purchase price, and the A->-B return shipping, if applicable, would be charged against the seller. The buyer writes the seller that a friend who lives in City B could go and check out the bike. The seller wrote back, saying that the bike is in the custody of Worldpay in City B, and Worldpay would not allow the bike to be viewed unless the viewer is accompanied by the seller, who unfortunately is in Europe. The buyer makes an offer by email of $1600 for the bike as described; the seller wrote back and accepted it, and asked the buyer to go through the transaction with Worldpay, giving the buyer the email address of Worldpay@consultant.com. The buyer does not consider this email necessarily belonging to Worldpay, i.e. could be fake although Worldpay does exist on google. The reply from "Worldpay" confirms that there is such a bike in their custody in City B, but, yes, it cannot be viewed unless the viewer is accompanied by the owner, who happens to be in Europe, so, no, the bike cannot be viewed, but as explained by the seller, once the $1600 has been paid to Worldpay, it will be held there until the bike has been shipped to the buyer, the buyer has inspected the bike and okayed it within the first 3 days of the bike's arrival, and finalized the deal, then the $1600 will be paid to the seller, minus the shipping cost and the transaction fee. The buyer went into Worldpay.com and found the following 5 point procedure (verbatim):

Step 1: The buyer and seller agree to the terms and details of the transaction.

Step 2: The buyer sends payment to a WorldPay agent. Payment is verified and deposited into a trust account.

Step 3: We ship the merchandise to the buyer, knowing that the buyer's payment is secured.

Step 4: The buyer accepts the merchandise after having the opportunity to inspect it.

Step 5: WorldPay transfer the funds to the seller after all conditions of the transaction are met.

The thing is this. In this entire convoluted sequence, there is nothing to prove to the buyer that the bike even exists (since the email address could be fake), and once the $1600 is sent (by credit card or whatever), it may just have gone into a blackhole. The buyer does has one more thing to do, which is to call Worldpay's HQ, which is in the UK, when their office opens on Monday.

Has anyone here had any experience dealing with Worldpay in a situation like this? What would you do in such a circumstance?

AM
I can tell you right now, I at one point in my life got very good at scamming, I dont anymore after I had a bit of a realization of how much trouble I could get in, but this is definitely a scam, and at that a pretty poorly thought out one on the part of the person trying to scam you.
TogaLive is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #10
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Glad you stopped scamming, but was it really only because of your own interests? No empathy, compassion, remorse for the pain you caused your victims?
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #11
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samer

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

I hate scammers. Glad you paused and thought about it before you wasted your hard earned money. Since you asked if it was a scam, I'm sure you knew already that really must be a scam. It is one of those, if you gotta ask...

I wonder how these people live with themselves, but I guess people can learn to turn off their subconscious. They probably get a rush from scamming people. Sick!

If I were king, these people would probably hesitate to continue after I made an example out of a few of them.
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #12
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by TogaLive View Post
I can tell you right now, I at one point in my life got very good at scamming, I dont anymore after I had a bit of a realization of how much trouble I could get in, but this is definitely a scam, and at that a pretty poorly thought out one on the part of the person trying to scam you.
Thank you for coming clean, buddy. So, according to your experience, what is the best way to stop this scam and put the guy where he belongs?
Anthony_marr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2009, 09:40 PM   #13
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_marr View Post
Thank you for coming clean, buddy. So, according to your experience, what is the best way to stop this scam and put the guy where he belongs?
The person who is running this scam is probably located in a no extridition country, alot of these scammers are also very poor located in South Africa working out of internet cafe type places, and if they get ahold of your credit card number, gl straightening that out..I suppose they could be anywhere though, I read alot about the scammers in South Africa though..
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2009, 06:28 AM   #14
miztyzo562

Anytime I hear of some kind of deal that has a third party involved, I try and stay away. Def smells like scam.

Old October 15th, 2009, 06:36 AM   #15
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by miztyzo562 View Post
Anytime I hear of some kind of deal that has a third party involved, I try and stay away. Def smells like scam.
Escrow services are often used for high value/risk transactions, though idiots fall for fake or impostor services all the time.

Look up "P-P-P-Powerbook" to see the story of one guy scamming a scammer who originally tried to con him with a fake escrow service (and fake website).

Even if you look it up and the service is legit with good reviews, be careful because the other guy can always make a phishing scam website that looks like the well respected one and con you out of your money or product.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote