Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 21st, 2010, 09:08 PM   #1
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Gixxer Logic

Hey all,
I had a run-in with a guy on a GSX-R today. I was at a gas station (with my car) taking a pee break, when this guy pulls in and parks directly on the line between two parking spaces. Having seen this before-an attempt at keeping people from parking near the bike- I waited for him to come in, pointed at his parking job, and said, "That's why cagers hate us."
His response hurt my head: "You don't think there is enough room for a car to park in the spot?"
I immediately came up with reasons why he was thinking wrong:

-His bike isn't so important that it excludes him from proper parking.

-If someone does park in the adjacent spot and opens their car door and hits the bike, doesn't that defeat the purpose?

-What if they park so close that the bike can't be stood up without contacting the car and causing damage?

Ultimately, my response was to point out that one the spaces he parked "beween"-the one with his kickstand and consequently his bike leaned into- was a handicapped spot. That counts as a ticket-able offense, which puts it on my list of "Things Douchebags Do."

So I said all that to ask this: Has anybody seen a moto-related situation or heard an explanation that defies logic and common sense? I don't mean like opinions on riding technique, more like when someone says, "I should buy a 1000 instead of a 600, because it is faster so I can get away from danger quicker."

P.S. I'm not picking on GSX-R owners with the title. I am using "Gixxer" to represent the type of people (squids, street "stuntahs", even ricers) who come up with backwards thinking about living the moto-lifestyle, regardless of ride.

Old August 21st, 2010, 10:08 PM   #2
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

The idiots that park on the line with their bike are probably the same idiots that park on the line with their car, and stop dead right in the middle of a crowded sidewalk. Rubes...all of them!!
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2010, 12:15 AM   #3
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Or how about the ricer mentality. Let's buy a brand new $25k 4-banger import, spend about another $15k-$20k modding it, then just barely inch by a completely stock American V8 (usually bought used and more then 10yrs old costing no more then $10k if even that much). Then talk all kinds of crap on how bad the American heavy slowmobiles are and how they could never touch the imports. Yah, way to go junior, you just spent $40k-$45k on your import to beat a $5k used muscle car from 15yrs ago by half a car length.

Oooooh lemme get the coffee can exhaust so I can sound like a pissed off chainsaw and gain.................. NOT A DAMN THING FOR PERFORMANCE!!!!!

"Ricers" annoy me in case you didn't get that.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2010, 08:17 AM   #4
Hadyn
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): '06 Yellow 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdiggy View Post
I don't mean like opinions on riding technique, more like when someone says, "I should buy a 1000 instead of a 600, because it is faster so I can get away from danger quicker."
I had a friend who decided he wanted to get a Busa as his first bike. His reasoning was partly that he could just 'grow into it' and partly that: "I can go as fast as I want, the cops won't chase a Busa because they're too fast."
Hadyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2010, 08:23 AM   #5
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Truong, That's a lot to think about. The GSX guy seems to be one of those insensitive "in your face" guys who bait sensible guys like you to react. Then they have an excuse to get into an arguement. Motorcycle parking is an issue. Being such a small machine, we are vulnerable. A good friend with a bright yellow Ducati parked in a shopping center lot using the space as he shold have. A young hot dog saw the space and never saw the bike. The end result was horrific (insurance company totalled the bike) In my view, a bike in a space designed for a cager, is in extreme danger. We need to be creative--like parking in the lot where there are no cars--or whatever. Keeps our minds active.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2010, 09:00 AM   #6
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Hey all,
P.S. I'm not picking on GSX-R owners with the title. I am using "Gixxer" to represent the type of people (squids, street "stuntahs", even ricers) who come up with backwards thinking about living the moto-lifestyle, regardless of ride.
Not politically correct Truong. Using "Gixxer" does represent a type of people. Many who ride correctly and are not squids, street "stuntahs", even ricers love their "Gixxers" and would take offense to being labled.

I believe" A-hole" is a better representation of the rider you encountered.

Next time don't be so sweet to the guy. Knock over his bike for parking like a jerk, then kick his ass when he complains.

As to your question, "Has anybody seen a moto-related situation or heard an explanation that defies logic and common sense? I don't mean like opinions on riding technique, more like when someone says, "I should buy a 1000 instead of a 600, because it is faster so I can get away from danger quicker."
I was with my 15 year old son, he was on the 250, and a cop told us (we were getting speeding tickets) if we had just taken off he, the cop (who was on a Harley), wouldn't have chased us because he couldn't have caught us.

Not only did I tell my son to never do that (lawyers take care of tickets), but I bought him a 1000 for his second bike. He has grown into it and has never crashed and is now 18 and a great rider.

Old August 22nd, 2010, 10:41 AM   #7
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Not politically correct Truong. Using "Gixxer" does represent a type of people. Many who ride correctly and are not squids, street "stuntahs", even ricers love their "Gixxers" and would take offense to being labled.

I believe" A-hole" is a better representation of the rider you encountered.

Next time don't be so sweet to the guy. Knock over his bike for parking like a jerk, then kick his ass when he complains.

As to your question, "Has anybody seen a moto-related situation or heard an explanation that defies logic and common sense? I don't mean like opinions on riding technique, more like when someone says, "I should buy a 1000 instead of a 600, because it is faster so I can get away from danger quicker."
I was with my 15 year old son, he was on the 250, and a cop told us (we were getting speeding tickets) if we had just taken off he, the cop (who was on a Harley), wouldn't have chased us because he couldn't have caught us.

Not only did I tell my son to never do that (lawyers take care of tickets), but I bought him a 1000 for his second bike. He has grown into it and has never crashed and is now 18 and a great rider.
I am sure you have taught your son well enough that a liter bike is suitable as his "step up" bike.

Old August 22nd, 2010, 01:40 PM   #8
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Or how about the ricer mentality. Let's buy a brand new $25k 4-banger import, spend about another $15k-$20k modding it, then just barely inch by a completely stock American V8 (usually bought used and more then 10yrs old costing no more then $10k if even that much). Then talk all kinds of crap on how bad the American heavy slowmobiles are and how they could never touch the imports. Yah, way to go junior, you just spent $40k-$45k on your import to beat a $5k used muscle car from 15yrs ago by half a car length.

Oooooh lemme get the coffee can exhaust so I can sound like a pissed off chainsaw and gain.................. NOT A DAMN THING FOR PERFORMANCE!!!!!

I wouldn't call a car with 20 $ K in mods rice by any means. You got some facts wrong here. By the way, 15 years old V8 muscle cars were SLOW by today's standards, most new stock performance 4 bangers will hold up to them in straights and easily in the corners. Modding car is just not about BUYING something fast, it's about BUILDING something, and yes, there is some very ugly imports out there, but the ones done right are very nice. I drove a v8 camaro from the 90's yes, they are fast...and it's about the only good thing I had to say about it seriously.

Old August 22nd, 2010, 11:33 PM   #9
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Truong, That's a lot to think about. The GSX guy seems to be one of those insensitive "in your face" guys who bait sensible guys like you to react. Then they have an excuse to get into an arguement.
I don't mind being baited if that was his intent. I just prefer to put my objections out in the ether, because karma is a bitch if you don't give her chocolate.

(that last bit is so good I'm putting it in my signature)

Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:21 AM   #10
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

We had three of these "gixxer" geniuses pass us the other day on Dufferin I believe... they all hammered the gas through the center of the road (you know those yellow lines you're supoesd to stay off, and entered the left turn lane. As the light went green one of them launched and went off, the next TWO went at the same time, one hammered his brake, while the other one went all squirly. They struggled to make a simple left hand turn with 3 bikes simply because they have no patience or coordination. & I was thinking that same thing "this is why cagers hate us"
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:28 AM   #11
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayme View Post
I wouldn't call a car with 20 $ K in mods rice by any means. You got some facts wrong here. By the way, 15 years old V8 muscle cars were SLOW by today's standards, most new stock performance 4 bangers will hold up to them in straights and easily in the corners. Modding car is just not about BUYING something fast, it's about BUILDING something, and yes, there is some very ugly imports out there, but the ones done right are very nice. I drove a v8 camaro from the 90's yes, they are fast...and it's about the only good thing I had to say about it seriously.
It depends a lot where the money was spent (in the ricer). you could spend 20k making the car "pretty". Or you could spend 20k on a turbo and new internals.

I do find it amusing when a "ricer" hammers the gas makes a lot of noise, and almost stands still compared to our "slow" 250's XD
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:36 AM   #12
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Yesterday, me and a buddy were out riding. I hear this BWAAAAAA go past me.

You guessed it....SQUID.

ZX-14 with a skinny black guy on it wearing nothing but a white t-shirt, shorts, tennis shoes, and a novelty german pith helmet. Then a few seconds later, along came his girlfriend on a hayabusa...sporting the same attire.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:17 AM   #13
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
I witnessed some serious squid action this weekend as well, but I have to say to my own dismay, I actually respected the guy for it....

So, we're going at a good clip in a pretty tight canyon, and all of a sudden blazing headlights appear in my mirrors. I look back and it's a Jesse James doppelganger on a brand new V-Max, with an extra large tire in the rear. He passes us 250 pretty easy, and hucks his bike into the oncoming corner with an abandon towards all life. My eyes pop out of my helmet.

He then proceeds to pass the ZX-6R and TLR in front of us, dangerously, and again chucks that bike in so hard I swore it was gonna grind and slide out, but save not, the bastard makes it through the corner. And again, and again. The TLR takes back the leads and shows the dude what's what. Sorry buddy, the V-Max just can't lean that hard, period. On the next straight away, he just blasts past the TLR like it's standing still.

I mean common, it's got a 1,700 cc v4. It's belligerent!

Anyway, we keep going and he turns around. On the way back I give him 2 thumbs up, and he smiles. He has leather chaps, an A-shirt and sunglasses. That's it.

Crazy bastard. I think if he died, people would simply laugh and say he died doing what he loved, for he knew what he was doing, and didn't care what anybody else thought.

As stupid as that is, it was cool to see, and did garner some respect from our group.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 08:35 AM   #14
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
I have a 24 year old american muscle car that ill put up against ANY import in a straight line. I only dropped 5k on the motor and another 4k on tubs, slicks, a used posi, rear end parts and a cage. lol
BTW most new 4 banger imports will keep up with the mid 90's Z-28 LT-1 till near 100mph. After that all they see is tail lights. (nothin like v-8 tourqe)
Give me a Z-28 with the LS1 6 speed and 1500 bucks and Ill smoke 98% of the imports out there thru the 1/4. Seen it at the strip a million times. Import guys love to talk. Most of them think that 15k in mods make there sewing machine ULTRA fast. Few are willing to gamble and when they do most of them have way more than 15k into the honda motor that is worthless after 20 weekends at the strip.
I have a friend who has an LS-1 Z he bought for $8000 with $1500 in mods and he made decent money off the import guys on stock rubber.
Its tourqe that gets you good times at the strip. The first 60 feet are the most important. You just cant get a good launch with a front driver.
Just my 2 cents on the whole import thing.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 08:46 AM   #15
sombo

Quote:
Ok, you missing my point, you're not separating the 'breeds' of people properly.

There are the "ricers", there are the "gearheads" and there are "muscleheads".

Gearheads will go out, look for a specific car to get. The car could be domestic or an import, certain model, certain year. They could be looking for a specific chassis, suspension, engine, transmission, or whatever it is they have in mind to build around. They buy that car used then start with the engine, tearing it 100% apart and rebuilding it from the ground up properly just the way they want it. They know what they are doing and tune it right, using components not because of a name or how flashy they are, but because they know that this works great with that and this. They don't spend top dollar on crap just because they read it a magazine or saw it in a movie. They also don't make the car flashy focusing on the go instead of the show.

Then there are the ricers and muscleheads. Both have similar attitudes and knowledge but from opposite sides of the car wars. Ricers will do just as I said, get a brand spanking new import car cause it's "cool". Then spend nearly the cost of the car in "upgrades" on the car. They get all the top name flashy stuff they heard of cause it's cool and so-and-so uses it. They flash up the exterior, interior, stereo, put flashy parts in the engine, mess with the tranny and suspension but have NO clue what they are doing.

In the end they spend tons of money but don't actually improve performance that much cause nothing is tuned right, parts are made to be flashy instead of working together with other parts, and it's not much more then a big flashy Frankenstein of parts. Muscleheads are the same just with American muscle cars. They get a muscle car mod it in ways they don't understand and don't really do much for the performance of the car. Then both of them will talk smack till the cows come home if and when they win in a race.

Those are the idiots I can't stand. That's the ricer mentality. Mod a car to hell and back cause it's cool, barely win and then talk smack cause they think they are a car god.

The gearheads on the hand, will blow your doors off in a car that looks like it's barely holding together then say good race. Then they start talking about what they did and offering suggestions on what you can do to your ride. These guys I respect regardless of what car it is.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:46 AM   #16
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

You can't compare a 20 year old muscle car to a brand new import and say the muscle car is better because you can slaughter the import in the quarter mile with only spending 5-10k. Your comparing a brand new car to an old car that cost nothing to buy and parts are dirt cheap, of course the muscle car will be cheaper to get running fast.

I never see kids really dumping tons of money into brand new cars anyways. Sure, rims, lights, some other small stuff...but rarely any serious engine modifications. People that I see doing engine modifications either go for older civics or similar cars.
And guess what, there's a reason. Insurance costs.
My friend had a brand new mustang GT (back in 03). It was in his parents name on their policy. He hater swicthed it to his name on his own policy. They wanted 10,000 a year for insurance. Yes, 800 a MONTH. More then his car payments....all because it was a 2 door v8 sports car.

Personally, I think it's all stupid. Having any car that fast is 100% useless on the street. All they do it drink gas. You can't legally use that power on the street EVER. (aggressive acceleration IS a ticket)

But guess what, it's their money, not mine. If a kid wants to spend 20k ricing out his car, so what? Would you rather him spend it on drugs? If it keeps kids busy doing stuff to their cars, then go for it. I personally like "looks" modifications better then engine mods because most kids with cars like that can't resist the temptation to street race.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 02:26 PM   #17
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
I have a 24 year old american muscle car that ill put up against ANY import in a straight line. I only dropped 5k on the motor and another 4k on tubs, slicks, a used posi, rear end parts and a cage. lol
BTW most new 4 banger imports will keep up with the mid 90's Z-28 LT-1 till near 100mph. After that all they see is tail lights. (nothin like v-8 tourqe)
Give me a Z-28 with the LS1 6 speed and 1500 bucks and Ill smoke 98% of the imports out there thru the 1/4. Seen it at the strip a million times. Import guys love to talk. Most of them think that 15k in mods make there sewing machine ULTRA fast. Few are willing to gamble and when they do most of them have way more than 15k into the honda motor that is worthless after 20 weekends at the strip.
I have a friend who has an LS-1 Z he bought for $8000 with $1500 in mods and he made decent money off the import guys on stock rubber.
Its tourqe that gets you good times at the strip. The first 60 feet are the most important. You just cant get a good launch with a front driver.
Just my 2 cents on the whole import thing.
Though I agree with what you said, in the end, how fast your car is isn't everything. I especially hate domestic because their car look and feel like crap(the 90's camaro and trans-am's dashboard made me feel like I was driving a v8 sunfire/cavalier) , though ford and chevy recently made some very great cars(I love the new stang). I own a 2004 350z, and compared to the v8 domestics of the same era(not the corvette as it's way more expensive), the 350z is just much more of a refined car in every way, and way more fun to drive..to each his own in the end.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 02:37 PM   #18
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:

Man, im 33 years old and im old enuff to remember a world without Imports and what a Peaceful time it was!!!
I remember going to Detroit Dragway when i was like 5-10 years old and NOT A SINGLE "Fast & Furious" type of car was there! I MISS THOSE DAYS!!!!

V8 hands down man!!!

(tim allen grunts) GRRRR AAAAAH GRRR AAAAHHH!

But, the same thing could be said about us, the "sportbikers".
Though not all of us sportbikers are those like minded types of 18-25 year old Kids that give the rest of us bikers a bad name! aka Squids.

Not every kid in that age range acts and thinks like a turd, but it only takes afew bad apples to ruin the Basket!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 02:47 PM   #19
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

On a side note: I used to watch 'PINKS' alot years ago. 99% of the racers were sitting behind a V8.

If the Import racers were smart-er.

Least put the motor in the back over the rear axle and convert it to rear wheel drive! = Better launches off the line that way, as one could imagine!

If they got mad fabrication skills... anything is possible!

monster garage anyone?

About 10 years ago, i saw a 87' Pontiac Fiero GT in the autotrader!
For the hell of it, my dad and I went and looked at it.

The guy stuffed a 350 in the back.

Now i dunno if that lil GT would be able to put all that power to the ground and launch hard as hell to make it worth-while, but it would be Fun to see!!!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:19 PM   #20
WindMeUp
Small Bike Abuser

Name: Stevo

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE, GSX650FK8, DL650K5, CH80K2, AN400K7, SH150i

There is No Replacement for Displacement...
To be fair, I don't remember American Muscle Cars being great cornering cars, but they could sure smoke the Polyglass Tires

WindMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:25 PM   #21
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindMeUp View Post
There is No Replacement for Displacement...
To be fair, I don't remember American Muscle Cars being great cornering cars, but they could sure smoke the Polyglass Tires

Japanese cars aren't that much better.
I'll take an American V8 over a 4 banger any day.
However, my first choice would be a German. I think they got the right combination of power, handling and luxury.
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:29 PM   #22
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Quote:

Honestly, most know jack about cars. The first thing they would brag about their cars is "oh, I have cold air intake". It's sad that they think they will gain 15hp from that. I can't stand those fart cans... You can literally hear them 2 blocks down but it usually takes them minutes to get to you....

Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:31 PM   #23
sombo

You're still not quite reading what I'm saying. It's not so much about the car but the mentality. I've seen powerhouses made out of 4, 6, and 8 cylinder cars. I see it all the time, I'm not arguing that. I'm talking about the mentality we call "ricers" that have money to blow on a car but not the brains to make it work. They spend tons of money with little improvement to the car, then race someone that usually has an older v8 (which are faster then you are giving them credit) and just barely beat them. That combined with a severe case of "can't shut the F' up" over how godly they are if they win over a car that is old and beat up. That sort of mentality drives me nuts and has caused me to stop hanging out with car groups cause there are more and more of these idiots showing up. How many more times do I have to explain it before you see the light.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:26 PM   #24
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
I witnessed some serious squid action this weekend as well, but I have to say to my own dismay, I actually respected the guy for it....

So, we're going at a good clip in a pretty tight canyon, and all of a sudden blazing headlights appear in my mirrors. I look back and it's a Jesse James doppelganger on a brand new V-Max, with an extra large tire in the rear. He passes us 250 pretty easy, and hucks his bike into the oncoming corner with an abandon towards all life. My eyes pop out of my helmet.

He then proceeds to pass the ZX-6R and TLR in front of us, dangerously, and again chucks that bike in so hard I swore it was gonna grind and slide out, but save not, the bastard makes it through the corner. And again, and again. The TLR takes back the leads and shows the dude what's what. Sorry buddy, the V-Max just can't lean that hard, period. On the next straight away, he just blasts past the TLR like it's standing still.

I mean common, it's got a 1,700 cc v4. It's belligerent!

Anyway, we keep going and he turns around. On the way back I give him 2 thumbs up, and he smiles. He has leather chaps, an A-shirt and sunglasses. That's it.

Crazy bastard. I think if he died, people would simply laugh and say he died doing what he loved, for he knew what he was doing, and didn't care what anybody else thought.

As stupid as that is, it was cool to see, and did garner some respect from our group.

That dude was freaking insane. I was like wtf when I saw the dude really close behind me and then he took all those corners with reckless abandon. I thought he was gonna bite it a couple times too in the corners and when he passed the cars on the road cause the dude was speeding like crazy

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:31 PM   #25
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

I had a 69 Mach 1 (only 351W, but great car). My 2003 G35 (v6) was much smoother at speed. But #1 for me is 60s muscle cuz there aren't enough around these days.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:40 PM   #26
backinthesaddleagain

Used to watch Pinks and Pass Time. Cant stand Rich Christensen though.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:08 PM   #27
WindMeUp
Small Bike Abuser

Name: Stevo

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE, GSX650FK8, DL650K5, CH80K2, AN400K7, SH150i

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
Used to watch Pinks and Pass Time. Cant stand Rich Christensen though.
You'll love this then

Link to original page on YouTube.

WindMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:55 PM   #28
Flashmonkey

Quote:
I had a 69 Mach 1 (only 351W, but great car). My 2003 G35 (v6) was much smoother at speed. But #1 for me is 60s muscle cuz there aren't enough around these days.
There's a lot to be said about the refined speed available with a lot of today's Japanese supercars....even the modern american and german supercars. But there's something that's just so frigin awesome about that untamed, unregulated, utterly useless raw power of the 60's & 70's muscle cars that is just hard to look past. I dunno man...maybe I just like fancy noises and what-not haha.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:06 PM   #29
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

So I guess not many people have come across some twisted logic, at least not as often as they have seen a car they hate or love. Tinng 321 mentioned the false notion about power gains from "cold air intakes." Pretty loopy to think a big cone filter on a pipe will automatically get you down the strip faster, so to speak. I, admittedly, once thought this way. Then I thought about it and asked people who knew more than me and the big picture started to clear up, and I realized there is tons more to it than airflow. I do have a K&N filter in my car, but it is a direct OE replacement and is more about the re-usability than a performance boost.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:08 PM   #30
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
There's a lot to be said about the refined speed available with a lot of today's Japanese supercars....even the modern american and german supercars. But there's something that's just so frigin awesome about that untamed, unregulated, utterly useless raw power of the 60's & 70's muscle cars that is just hard to look past. I dunno man...maybe I just like fancy noises and what-not haha.
yeah nice to feel the power, instead of looking at the dash and going 100? damn didnt realize i was going that fast.

Old August 27th, 2010, 04:45 AM   #31
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
So I said all that to ask this: Has anybody seen a moto-related situation or heard an explanation that defies logic and common sense?
You mean aside from spending perfectly good money on a Harley?
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2010, 05:01 AM   #32
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
You mean aside from spending perfectly good money on a Harley?
Ew. What's up with that? You being all tongue-in-cheek?

Old August 27th, 2010, 06:10 AM   #33
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Ew. What's up with that? You being all tongue-in-cheek?
Gee, ya think?

Of course I am.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2010, 06:13 AM   #34
midknight
Darksider

Name: Britton

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV650S; 1982 Suzuki TS125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
Oh yeah!!!! :::rumble rumble rumble....wapow wapow::: - that's my muscle car sounds by the way.
midknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2010, 06:32 AM   #35
Flashmonkey

Quote:
yeah nice to feel the power, instead of looking at the dash and going 100? damn didnt realize i was going that fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by midknight View Post
Oh yeah!!!! :::rumble rumble rumble....wapow wapow::: - that's my muscle car sounds by the way.
LOL yea...efficient fastness has it's downsides.

Besides, driving around in an old school muscle car with a mustache gives you the air of "Yea, I've been featured in a porno, what of it?"...and that's totally priceless.

Old August 27th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #36
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Gee, ya think?

Of course I am.
O shoot. No dis, dude. Forgot the sarcasm smiley.

Old August 27th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #37
aervine
ninjette.org newbie

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Not all imports are front wheel drive, and lately I've been seeing alot more "ricers" in mid 90s american v8 cars, putting the loudest exhaust they possibly can find and a big ole 8inch tach and thinking they're super cars. When I come across them and they get stomped by an import and you tell them it's only a 2 liter they get real butt hurt. The only muscle cars I respect are the old mid 60s era but most people with those kinds of cars don't usually drive them how they built them to be driven.
aervine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #38
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aervine View Post
Not all imports are front wheel drive, and lately I've been seeing alot more "ricers" in mid 90s american v8 cars, putting the loudest exhaust they possibly can find and a big ole 8inch tach and thinking they're super cars. When I come across them and they get stomped by an import and you tell them it's only a 2 liter they get real butt hurt. The only muscle cars I respect are the old mid 60s era but most people with those kinds of cars don't usually drive them how they built them to be driven.
I can't think of any stock 2L that can out perform an american stock v8.
IDK, it just doesn't make sense to put ton of $$ into a car just to hang with another stock car.

Old August 27th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #39
aervine
ninjette.org newbie

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinng321 View Post
IDK, it just doesn't make sense to put ton of $$ into a car just to hang with another stock car.
I never said either was stock, and if you know what your doing it doesn't take a ton of money to make either a 4 banger or v8 fast. Another note to add is your average v8 muscle car has a weight of 3600 lbs+ and most 4 bangers are 3200 or less, I know mine is 2800 with me in it.
aervine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #40
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinng321 View Post
If your looking at mid80s-mid90s v8s...there's plenty of modern stock 2l that will beat them. Most of the american v8's from that time ran 15-16 in the quarter mile. Now that the cars are 20ish years old, they won't run close to that (unless they were well kept, which a kid ricing a car out wouldnt be able to afford. Add that to the fact that every kid I have seen buy an older camero or firebird get them in auto..
My friend had a 1985 transam for his first car. He just liked old cars, didn;t rice it out or do anythign to it, almost completely stock. It was however an auto. At the time, I had a 97 chrystler sebring 2.0 which was a stick. My car would walk away from that transam in any situation.
I dont even know if the transam ever ran right, but regardless, it's an example of the type of v8 a kid would be buying. Plenty of 4cyl would be able to beat them.
And of course puting money into a car for substantial upgrades (not just loud exhaust), could make all the difference in the world.