ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

View Poll Results: So, should it be legalized or not?
Yup. 40 75.47%
Nope. 13 24.53%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 24th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Blackwidow
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

another touchy subject (pot)

don't know how far this one will go or if i'll get banned. But I wanted to hear your opinions on the widely controversal subject....Marijuana!

Do you think it should be legalized or not?
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #2
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Paulette you haven't been banned yet, but I am sure you will come up with something as you are quite the thread creator. At this point I think legalize, based on my limited knowledge. I think too much time cracking down on small time pot guys.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #3
Blackwidow

yet is the key word. lol

Old August 24th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #4
jcgirl
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jenn

Motorcycle(s): Bot

I live in BC.... Its not legal yet down there???? Oh you Cooky Americans..

Yesterday, at the pharmacy I overheard an elderly gentleman discussing the finer points of his bong with the Pharmacist.

Personally I like running to much to smoke anything...
jcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #5
Hadyn
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): '06 Yellow 250r

Marijuana - Ok.
Weed Culture - Annoying as hell.
Legalization - Sure, why not?
Hadyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #6
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

I have no idea why they don't legalize it and just tax the hell out of it like they do with cigarettes. The amount of money the government (both canadian and american) stands to make would be unprecidented.....and I seriously doubt their reasons for not legalizing it are 'moral'...cuz thats BS.

In any case, I have zero problem with marijuana...all my friends smoke it haha. I don't, though, not because I'm against it, but because I'm too cheap to pick it up.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #7
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadyn View Post
Marijuana - Ok.
Legalization - Sure, why not?
+1 on the weed culture thing

Old August 24th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #8
Blackwidow

i think if you look at the history of Alcohol, it pretty much went through the same cycle. It was legal, then it was banned and people use to buy it from the "black market", then it became legal again. Same thing with MJ.

I for one support legalization of MJ....but I also feel it should be governed just like alcohol, do not use it while operating a motorized object and all that other stuff. I know people in very high places (no pun intended) that smoke it, doctors, lawyers, even our president admitted he smoked in "college". and i agree, the government can make a grip of money by taxing it. and with California's deficit...it aint a bad idea.

Old August 24th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #9
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
legalize it and just tax the hell out of it like they do with cigarettes
+1
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #10
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadyn View Post
why do you think its annoying?

Old August 24th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #11
backinthesaddleagain

the talk. the hippie/deadhead type of thing like pronouncing a plant as a plont.

Old August 24th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #12
Blackwidow

ya those are the retards...lol with or without weed, they'll still be retards.

Old August 24th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #13
Hadyn
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): '06 Yellow 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
why do you think its annoying?
Stoners fixated on nothing but the next time they can smoke, blaming the government and the police and their dead-end jobs for all their problems. Then they go drop $60 on a bag of weed, sit around with their stoner friends and complain some more, all the while smoking away all of the income they're not using to barely pay their bills. Those are the same guys who sport marijuana leaf tattoos and the Bob Marley shirts and will argue to the death with you about the merits of marijuana and how it's such a beneficial, natural drug with no drawbacks. That's what I find annoying.

Not to mention the entire culture is kinda grimy. Trust me, I lived it for two years.
Hadyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #14
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

It would be better off legal.

If compared to alcohol on effects on people/society/everything else...it makes you wonder why alcohol isn't illegal and pot legal.

By the way, it's not much of a big deal for the consumers...pretty easy to get ahold of and just as easy to not get caught, though it's pretty relaxed here in Canada..cops won't give much of a **** if you are caught with a small quantity.

Large scale hemp cultivation would be a VERY good thing in this day and time, with ressources going down and hemp's dozens of good use(paper, textiles, biodegradable plastics, construction, health food, fuel, etc..) it would be the best better of legal.

Old August 24th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #15
Blackwidow

you guys are too easy...

is there anyone here that doesn't agree with the legalization? I want to hear your point of view! there is no wrong answer. don't be shy! you're amongst friends.

Old August 24th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #16
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Grow it, sell it, tax it......... medicinally/recreationally... no biggy here. I don't bother with it as I hate smoking and hate being around smokers in general. However, let me think..... You can bake it, yessssssssssssssss!
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #17
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
I wish it were legal myself. Not going to incriminate myself here, but I do enjoy relaxing on weekends.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #18
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
I wish it were legal myself. Not going to incriminate myself here, but I do enjoy relaxing on weekends.
Too late... your incriminated!
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #19
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
A nice pan of hashbrownies...
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #20
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
ya those are the retards...lol with or without weed, they'll still be retards.
haha

Old August 24th, 2010, 07:08 PM   #21
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
the talk. the hippie/deadhead type of thing like pronouncing a plant as a plont.
LOL what the hell? I know all kinds of pot heads and none of them talk like this. Well...to be fair Toronto is pretty big on the caribbean culture...so whenever people get high they inevitably start sounding more jamaican.

Old August 24th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #22
welcome2thedawn
ninjette.org guru

Name: dawn

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r modded, 73 honda cl200, 74 kawasaki 400 triple

i don't personally smoke, but why should i care if other people want to....i think all drugs should be legal....honestly, i have seen alcohol impair people much more than anything else...people are going to do what they want, regardless...it would be better for everyone if people could just go somewhere to get what they want, and know that it is clean...but hey, if they did that, crime would go down, and they couldn't continue to f@#% with people, and make money doing it
welcome2thedawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #23
midknight
Darksider

Name: Britton

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV650S; 1982 Suzuki TS125

Ok, so I have to be the first to disagree. I do not believe it should be legal. I know that marijuana is a gateway drug, I have family members that started on it and have moved on to other drugs and received major jail time from their actions. I also know how it impairs senses (yes I rebelled a little in high school) and I do not see how it is beneficial. I know I disagree with people on this subject but I think it can lead to bigger issues and people pushing for other narcotics to be legalized for recreational use. Just my .02 hope nobody hates me for my opinion...
midknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #24
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Link to original page on YouTube.

and that's what I have to say about that...

some laws are just ink on dead trees

Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #25
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by midknight View Post
Ok, so I have to be the first to disagree. I do not believe it should be legal. I know that marijuana is a gateway drug, I have family members that started on it and have moved on to other drugs and received major jail time from their actions. I also know how it impairs senses (yes I rebelled a little in high school) and I do not see how it is beneficial. I know I disagree with people on this subject but I think it can lead to bigger issues and people pushing for other narcotics to be legalized for recreational use. Just my .02 hope nobody hates me for my opinion...
Wahoo some tension! LOL j/k.

I doubt anyone here will hate your opinion. I'm actually surprised there aren't more people against this to be honest. But I also have a family member who is now a full blown meth head, and although he did weed and other drugs, his usage of drugs had more to do with his own personal issues than it did with peer pressure or with a 'gateway' effect of any kind.

I know dozens of people that have been using weed for years (a decade plus and counting if my time keeping is right) and they're not transitioning to other drugs. Some of them are getting stupider, yes, but they weren't that bright to begin with hahaha.

Old August 24th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #26
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Personally, I'm somewhat against it. It's not that I'm opposed to people living however they want- I work in videogames, most of my coworkers and a couple of my friends are stoners (also complete morons, but that's neither here nor there)- but I can't help but wonder if by legallizing it, it's going to become something much less avoidable for me. As it is, since it's not legal, people tend to do it at least somewhat discreetly, whereas, cigarrettes, for example, I have to smell just leaving my work during breaks. As it is, I don't care if people do it, as long as they're not doing it around me. If it's legal to do it around me even when I'm just walking around in public though, then it's affecting me, and I'm going to get annoyed.

So from what I suppose is an entirely selfish stand point, I don't want to have to smell that crap any more than I already do. I don't smoke- never have, never will, and I don't want to have to hold my breath walking through a parking lot just because someone else does. So yeah, entirely selfish. I know it's not the worst thing people do, but if the difference is whether it's in my face or not, then I'll be entirely selfish. But that's just my opinion. No offense intended.

On a side note though, the people I know at least who smoke excessively (and constantly complain that they can't live off their wages <_<) have absolutely no problem getting a hold of it. So if it's legallized and suddenly they're getting taxed to hell and back for something they could have already effortlessly bought without taxes, how are they really winning?
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #27
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post
But if the difference is whether it's in my face or not, then I'll be entirely selfish. But that's just my opinion. No offense intended.
There are regulations for public intoxication everywhere. It would be treated as alcohol.. You couldn't drive a car down the street smoking a joint, the same way you can't do it with alcohol. You can't smoke a cigarette in an office building, because it affects others. Same as public transportation...

Because smelling someone smoking passing by would be like kissing someone who is drinking... you wouldn't get drunk.

Didn't you hear my song? Even if you don't like weed, It's an awesome song.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #28
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

It's not a matter of getting high off second hand smoke, just as I don't think I'll get lung cancer off second hand cigarette smoke. I just hate the smell and don't want to have to be around it any more than I already do (And that smell is MUCH stronger than that of a cigarette smoke, although I also hate being around that. And I also don't like being around drunks, just for the record). Just personal distaste and I want nothing to do with it. And the more widely available it is, the more it's open to misuse. I don't have that much faith in my fellow man that they won't abuse the privilege.

Of course it's selfish, but eh. I don't really see how legallizing a drug for public use is less selfish on the basis of "A lot of people like to do it and don't want to get in trouble for it anymore." But that's just my opinion. And honestly, I don't even feel strongly about this issue. Just thought I'd offer a personal dissenting opinion. That's all.
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #29
DEXSPEED
2012 is here,let's ride!!

Name: dex

Motorcycle(s): 2009R,'12 suzuki +500

Quote:
i feel and believe the same,a close friend went through the drug cycle
DEXSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 11:48 PM   #30
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
While generally I am against laws that only protect you from yourself (seatbelt laws, helmet laws, etc.), I do agree with you and do not think such a drug should be legalized.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 12:40 AM   #31
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R/'10 ZX6R/'02 YZ125/'06 DRZ125L/'05 Blaster

I'm a fan of the magical herb, but not so much the culture or stereotypical potheads. Prohibition doesn't work; I'm against prohibition of any drug.

Quote:
I know that marijuana is a gateway drug
According to whom?

Quote:
I have family members that started on it and have moved on to other drugs and received major jail time from their actions.
With drugs legalized, there would be no jail time for these actions. People that "move on to other drugs" would likely have done this with or without marijuana. If pot doesn't cut it for you, pot doesn't cut it for you.

Quote:
I also know how it impairs senses
There's no evidence of this, but it's frequently brought up in anti-marijuana arguments. While you're under the influence of it, yes. While at baseline, no.

Quote:
I do not see how it is beneficial.
It's the strongest pain reliever there is that doesn't have physically addictive qualities. It slows the growth of cancerous tumors. If it weren't for marijuana, I'm pretty sure my grandmother would be dead (skin cancer and lupus).

Quote:
I think it can lead to bigger issues and people pushing for other narcotics to be legalized for recreational use.
And why is this a problem, exactly? I'll jump right onto the electric fence here: give me one reason, say, heroin should be illegal.

If drugs were government-regulated rather than prohibited, the drugs would be the same strength and purity, rather than things cut with god knows what. Constant potency means less risk of an overdose due to your gear being more potent than you expected.

It's nice to finally have someone on the other side to debate against.
Flow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 03:01 AM   #32
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

The problem with weed is all the Doritos I hafta eat with it

Old August 25th, 2010, 03:14 AM   #33
grn09segirl
ninjette.org member

Name: K

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha Fz6R

Im all for legalizing it but it needs to be regulated like cigaretts. Only let manufactors produce it so as other have said we can tax the hell out of it.
grn09segirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 03:20 AM   #34
grn09segirl
ninjette.org member

Name: K

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha Fz6R

Quote:
Ok, so I have to be the first to disagree. I do not believe it should be legal. I know that marijuana is a gateway drug, I have family members that started on it and have moved on to other drugs and received major jail time from their actions.
I think if it becomes legal then people will choose it more over the other harder drugs as is costs less then the harder stuff and their will be no fear of being arrested or jail. Usually it is a gateway drug because people start hanging around the wrong crowd and dont want to sissy out and get peer pressured into trying them not because of the marijuana it self.
grn09segirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 05:06 AM   #35
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
The problem with weed is all the Doritos I hafta eat with it
LMFAO! Yup! Gotta love those munchies until they start adding on the pounds!
And I must say, not a gateway drug for all.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2010, 05:22 AM   #36
midknight
Darksider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow View Post
According to whom?

According to me. I have seen a lot of people start on pot and get use to it and move on to more damaging drugs. Very close family members of mine have done this along with friends I had growing up.

With drugs legalized, there would be no jail time for these actions. People that "move on to other drugs" would likely have done this with or without marijuana. If pot doesn't cut it for you, pot doesn't cut it for you.

I disagree with you statement "if pot doesn't cut it for you, pot doesn't cut it for you". Maybe there are people that try pot and it doesn't cut it...but then they are looking for a better fix and once again....move on to other drugs.

There's no evidence of this, but it's frequently brought up in anti-marijuana arguments. While you're under the influence of it, yes. While at baseline, no.

I know from personal experience that pot impairs your senses. Like I stated in my original post...I used it in high school.

It's the strongest pain reliever there is that doesn't have physically addictive qualities. It slows the growth of cancerous tumors. If it weren't for marijuana, I'm pretty sure my grandmother would be dead (skin cancer and lupus).

I cannot disagree with the medical aspect of the drug. But there are many many many drugs that you can buy at a pharmacy for legitimit reasons, but if you go out and buy it without a prescription or use what you have for recreational purposes it is still illegal. I believe that with all the medicine we have today that there are many alternatives to marijuana's medical use or research can be done for an alternative to pot

And why is this a problem, exactly? I'll jump right onto the electric fence here: give me one reason, say, heroin should be illegal.

Other drugs do more damage to the body than good. Drugs that are snorted rot the nasal cavities and deteriorate teeth. Other drugs cause weight loss (maybe not such a bad thing...maybe there would be a few less fat chicks ) and eating disorders. There are many ill effects of other illegal drugs.

If drugs were government-regulated rather than prohibited, the drugs would be the same strength and purity, rather than things cut with god knows what. Constant potency means less risk of an overdose due to your gear being more potent than you expected.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Have you been into walmart lately? Compare their shoes to a pair of nike's or adidas...the quality is no where near the same. My point to this is, there will always be someone who tries to cut cost by making a lesser product to make a larger profit. Honestly, do you think regulations work? I feel that there are very few regulations in America that work or are even enforced.

It's nice to finally have someone on the other side to debate against.

Glad to have somebody to debate with...remember the views expressed in this quote are clearly my own opinion and not meant to upset anyone.
Have a good day ninjetters!

Old August 25th, 2010, 05:28 AM   #37
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by grn09segirl View Post
I think if it becomes legal then people will choose it more over the other harder drugs as is costs less then the harder stuff and their will be no fear of being arrested or jail. Usually it is a gateway drug because people start hanging around the wrong crowd and dont want to sissy out and get peer pressured into trying them not because of the marijuana it self.
Well if marijuana is legalized, you won't end up "in the wrong crowd" as you can just go buy it a the corner store instead of going visiting your drug dealer, right? In the end it's about the responsability of the user, if pot would be legal, it would still follow general rules of intoxifying substance (alchohol), illegal to be intoxicated in public or use it. Heck, why is even cigarette legal anyway? It's a very addictive substance that will rob you of your money and slowly destroy your health. You could even easily say that cigarette is the gateway drug, I mean seriously, most daily drug users are smokers. Pot is a very mellow drug in everyway you look at it.

A badly intoxicated alchoholic is much of a bigger problem than a stoned individual. My family has a history of problems with alchohol, do I think it should be illegal because of it? no... People who has problem with substances will have it either legal or not, let's stop trying to protect them and giving criminal records to recreational users...there's better way to deal with problems than making something illegal. The medical aspect of it is very good also, for cancer patient, it gives them a sense of euphoria(not a bad thing when you have cancer), makes them hungry (fighting the side effect of chemotherapy), and releive the pain, and it's not addictive...why research some artificial drug that do all that when we already know THC works?

Old August 25th, 2010, 05:58 AM   #38
Flashmonkey

A lot of good points have been raised by both sides of the argument here. I'd also like to throw in that legalizing weed and taxing the hell out of it (like cigarettes) could easily deter some from getting into it. I've known smokers that have quit partly because cigarettes cost so damn much.

Also, my main beef with weed not being legalized is the double standard at play here. The typical examples of other legal 'narcotics' are alcohol and cigarettes, but let's not forget coffee. It's been proven that coffee has addictive properties (let's not even get into soda or big macs here) and it's legality isn't even an issue.

Some may argue that if they legalize weed they may as well legalize crack cocaine, or ecstacy. Well, you'd technically be correct, but at least those drugs have detrimental effects that are consistent regardless of who uses it. The side effects of weed vary depending on who takes it.....well the bad side effects anyway. And there's still no clear answer on what long term effects, if any, weed has. So really, why the hell are they not legalizing this and taxing the crap out of it? The government is passing up an opportunity to make money off of it's population? They're up to something I tell ya!

Old August 25th, 2010, 06:18 AM   #39
midknight
Darksider

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsketch View Post
if you're against weed then you should also be against alcohol, I only like the effects of kind bud, skunk and brick weed are crap and make me paranoid...

But I don't really smoke it because it is illegal.
I also like mushrooms but don't eat those cause it's illegal...
I drink on occasion but don't really like the effects of alcohol after more than a few drinks.
And I am also against alcohol...I have my reasons and would rather not get into it.

Old August 25th, 2010, 07:38 AM   #40
drowe531
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250 (sold); 2008 Plasma Blue Ninja 250

I used to live with some major potheads, so I got to see the dumb pot heads and the smart pot heads. A good friend of mine is currently in law school and he smoked consistently. Another one is finishing his mechanical engineering degree right now. Both of them were captains of my college soccer team. I'd much rather see marijuana legal over alcohol. I have seen people do much much dumber things when they are drinking compared to when they have smoked. Anytime this debate is brought up I'm always for legalize it and tax it.

Just take a look at Amsterdam. When I went there, there was very little crime happening in the city and I never really felt at risk. I stayed out til 3-4am every night I was there. I believe that they have a pretty low crime rate. They tax marijuana and prostitution and regulate and monitor both of them heavily. I saw someone being spoken to by the police because he had pot in a pipe out on the streets even though it is legal to purchase and smoke it.
drowe531 is offline   Reply With Quote