Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 30th, 2010, 11:20 AM   #41
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
I don't keep full coverage on my 6R because its prohibitively expensive. At this point, it has been a worthwhile effort. First year quote was something like $1200 for a year everywhere. I have had the bike now for a couple years and have "saved" approx $2500 or so. That would have been enough to replace any typical crash damage to the bike / barring total destruction. Its a calculated risk but sometimes it makes sense. FYI I am about to be 27, have good credit, and nothing on my record.
Well if you aren't doing wheelies down the highway some some of the tards down here, i'd say you are a safe rider.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #42
rockingmtranch
ninjette.org member

Name: Mac

Motorcycle(s): 09 ZX6R Monster, 1982 ZX1100, 07 Ninja 250 (parting out)

I think I want to move to Texas also. I'm 50 with mc license for 35 years. I was actually a Traffic School Instructor and have a spotless record. I'm paying $90 a month full coverage on my '09 ZX6R due to the "supersport" tag. My wifes 2007 250, she pays $175 a year (liability only). I'm sure California has a lot to do with it but I think I still want to move to Texas

Old July 1st, 2010, 08:11 AM   #43
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): magHitVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
Ya that's about right.

My 750's costing me about $1350/year and that's liability ONLY.

Let's not even get into car insurance haha.
woah, ok, so were not THAT bad, 110$/year, here for liability only, full coverage inc fire/theft and vandalism with a 250$ deductible, costs me 500$ a year.

this is my first bike and I am under 25 with a history of speeding tickets, a lots of tickets, big ones too, not to mention a permit suspension.
jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2010, 04:21 PM   #44
Ninja_Moose
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

That is one of the big reasons why I have the 250 vs 600/675. Cheaper insurance, great gas mileage, and fairly cheap maintenance.
Ninja_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2010, 04:27 PM   #45
ZerO
ninjette.org member

Name: tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2008

looks like i wont be upgrading... yet.

im currently at $108 full coverage for the year on the 250 (philadelphia region).

by the way, whastup ting! im still babying your 250!

Old July 1st, 2010, 10:55 PM   #46
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

funny how I was just mentioning my insurance rates, while I was typing this)more or less) someone backed up into my bike, a hit and run. It didn't fall, they pushed it over 4 feet on the kickstand with their SUV. I knew I should of have gotten an alarm with proximity sensor. Next bike this will be the priority.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 12:23 PM   #47
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Oh, and it was quoting a brand new ZX10. Of course it was just a quote. I won't believe it until I get one, and throw it on my insurance.
That really sounds off to me. Like maybe they put in the wrong info, or did not quote you for full coverage. But if it's real, I would jump at it (assuming you were going to buy a ZX10).

For those wanting to move to TX, that is where I live, and I don't see these kind of rates anywhere. And I'm 43, with no tickets and no insurance claims.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2010, 12:24 PM   #48
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthechron View Post
funny how I was just mentioning my insurance rates, while I was typing this)more or less) someone backed up into my bike, a hit and run. It didn't fall, they pushed it over 4 feet on the kickstand with their SUV. I knew I should of have gotten an alarm with proximity sensor. Next bike this will be the priority.
Sorry to hear that. Was the bike damaged at all? Amazing that they pushed it 4 feet and it did not fall over! Was it in a parking space?
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2010, 01:41 PM   #49
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

lIt had just rained, my guess is the pavement was slippery and that's why it didn't fall.. yeah, there was damage to the cowling under the front fairing, the side bracket was damaged, which cracked the right hand fairing and the front cowling... scratches all over the front paint. It was about 3-4 feet from where I had parked it. There is an SUV with damages at the SAME level (emblem pushed off and damage to trunk, but no one saw).

Old July 5th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #50
ejunk81
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

I'm in Texas...28 with a clean driving record. I went with Progressive. Liability was $71 for the year. Full coverage would've been $148 for the year, but I'm a cheapskate.
ejunk81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #51
peachdiddy
Former ninjette rider

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CB1000R

I pay $121/year for my 250. 24 years old, 1 accident and a ticket in '05. From what I've seen it's not necessarily the CC's that get you the high insurance, it's how many people have died on the bike. Just what I've heard.

Old September 27th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #52
TrueFader
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

i wouldn't complain if i were you guys, i'm under 25 with 2 points on my license and am paying 1200/year for the 250, ins companies were looking for $300/mo for a sv650. state farm has some of the best rates i've found but won't insure someone with 2 points on their record. and that's just liability, uninsured and comp. no collusion
TrueFader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #53
jApOrMs
ninjette.org member

Name: jashobeam

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
I don't keep full coverage on my 6R because its prohibitively expensive. At this point, it has been a worthwhile effort. First year quote was something like $1200 for a year everywhere. I have had the bike now for a couple years and have "saved" approx $2500 or so. That would have been enough to replace any typical crash damage to the bike / barring total destruction. Its a calculated risk but sometimes it makes sense. FYI I am about to be 27, have good credit, and nothing on my record.
TRY riderinsurance.com
Sportisi Jet Kit (#100 Jet),Sportisi VR6 Full Exhaust, SystemSportisi TIS with BRT, Digital Koso gauge,Tank PadVinyl graphics, 150/60/R17, Targa FenderEliminator
jApOrMs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #54
Ichiro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ichiro

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r(sold). 2013 Kymco Super8 150

Always amazes me that people compare what they pay for insurance without taking into account the amount of coverage they have. Without knowing the limits of liability and deductible amounts you can't really compare premiums. For example, I have liability of $250,000/$500,000 bodily injury and $50,000 property damage;$1,000 Deductible Comp;and $250,000/$500,000 Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury coverage. I pay $288/year with State Farm for my 2008 250 Ninja. If I had liability of $50,000 instead of $250,000, my premium would be a lot less; if I had zero deductible Comp.it would be more.
Also, the term "full coverage" isn't useful since once again, without the numbers, you are comparing apples to oranges.
It's like someone saying "I paid $5,000 for my motorcycle." I sure would want to know some details before I decide if that is a good deal or not.
Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #55
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

I just went with state farm, now I pay $18 a month. $216 a year.
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2010, 10:28 PM   #56
killerkay3
=°°=

Name: Imran

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha R6 / 2008 Green Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinng321 View Post
I think the year of the bike has more to do with insurance rate than cc...
No state farm around here. Have to get it thru an agent....
Have you guys heard of Rider?
Check them out....
i think they they go by the year of the bike, your age, the ccs, and your driving record, they take that and overprice you as much as they can

Old September 30th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #57
djspidee
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninja 250

Another Texan paying $84 a year for liability only on my 03 250. One factor which also has effect on your rate is the county you live in (more accidents for your county=higher insurance rate) so if u live in a big city expect to pay a little more.
djspidee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #58
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I think I have paid more in insurance for my '08, than for the bike itself.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I see more older 250s around town, than older 600+ SSs. I'm sure the insurance reflects this. I don't see many older 600+ SSs at all around here, although there are plenty of newer ones (~5yrs or newer). Lots of salvaged titles too on Craigs, etc. for the SSs, but I can't remember the last time I saw one for a 250 (other than parting out).
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #59
TrueFader
ninjette.org member

double checked my ins yesterday, i have progressive, got them to add 2 discounts saving me $46/mo and all thanks to this thread.

Old September 30th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #60
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFader View Post
double checked my ins yesterday, i have progressive, got them to add 2 discounts saving me $46/mo and all thanks to this thread.
Details!? Do tell, I have progressive too. I didn't know they (agents) had the power to decrease rates at will.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2010, 04:07 PM   #61
TrueFader
ninjette.org member

well i joined the ama ($39), and progressive offers a discount for that, think it was like 40+ dollars for the year which equated to like $5 a month. (so the ama membership cost sorta gets balanced out by that) and i was missing a multi policy discount on my car from having the bike policy. so those 2 discounts decreases my insureance by quite a bit for me. $235/mo to $189/mo for both vehicles. and in december when my car policy renews it renews with a ticket dropped off my license and my rates get lower! I cant wait. i went on the website and there's a tab to show what discounts you have applied to your policy and what is available. so basically i had them apply what was available, and then they thanked ME for bringing it to their attention.

Old September 30th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #62
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOWNinja View Post
my insurance, i will not mention any names (AM FAM) will not insured Ninja 600 and up i don't know why, but i get only $125 for the whole year.
AM FAM is kindof crazy. I had a friend who was looking to start who checked with them and they said they would not insure any riders unless they had atleast two years experience. I told her to check out the cheap internet companies, (progressive and the like). Who knows if she did. She still doesn't have a bike.

Old October 30th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #63
ninja3575
ninjette.org addict

Name: Jimmy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Best Deal in SoCal ?

Just got my bike insured today... purchased and brought it home this past Thursday.. !! anyway, after doing a little shopping... I got coverage from All State... $500 deductible... including collision... (not just liability) and its going for $190/yr... i almost fell outta my chair... needless to say i gave them the immediate thumbs up...
ninja3575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #64
rockingmtranch
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja3575 View Post
Just got my bike insured today... purchased and brought it home this past Thursday.. !! anyway, after doing a little shopping... I got coverage from All State... $500 deductible... including collision... (not just liability) and its going for $190/yr... i almost fell outta my chair... needless to say i gave them the immediate thumbs up...
That is awesome. I found it has a lot to do with the bike. I tried to put my wife on my insurance with the '09 ZX6R and being she has less than a year experience, they wanted $4763 a year. Yeah. Sure. Let me call you back. WTH? That's great you got insured for that :-)

Old October 30th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #65
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I'm insured with USAA for the cars--they don't insure bikes but farm that out to Progressive. I pay $160 a year with a clean record for 50 years--no accidents--no tickets except for a warning I got on my bicycle--30 in a 25. That was good for a few Ho Hos. Hat premium is for full coverage.

Old October 30th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #66
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
I'm insured with USAA for the cars--they don't insure bikes but farm that out to Progressive. I pay $160 a year with a clean record for 50 years--no accidents--no tickets except for a warning I got on my bicycle--30 in a 25. That was good for a few Ho Hos. Hat premium is for full coverage.
I was just going to request a quote to USAA as we have access through my husband. Too bad they don't insure motorcycles directly though.. We were looking for someone who would insure both our cars, motorcycles and home
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #67
ninja3575
ninjette.org addict

Name: Jimmy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingmtranch View Post
That is awesome. I found it has a lot to do with the bike. I tried to put my wife on my insurance with the '09 ZX6R and being she has less than a year experience, they wanted $4763 a year. Yeah. Sure. Let me call you back. WTH? That's great you got insured for that :-)

$4763 !! seriously, after reading that post i choked on my Ramen noodles... that is ridiculous.. cost more than my ninja.. ! Guess the move on up to a 600 will have to be put on the shelf for much much later... hopefully you find a company with reasonably minded..."sane"... agents capable of setting you up right...
ninja3575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #68
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingmtranch View Post
$4763? that is like a brand new 250r with a aftermarket full exhaust system and a host of other mods lol. insurance is lame, I have to pay near 500 year for full coverage just cause I am young. I have a clean record too and have been driving for 4 years.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2010, 07:19 AM   #69
rockingmtranch
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawboyCAFE View Post
screw it everyone, just have liability. $75-100 a year. who cares if it gets stolen.
It's required by the finance company.
The only reason it is so high is the Supersport tag. The 650 Ninja is good to go with insurance. Trust me, if I had known....I pay $958 a year, 35 years experience, no accidents or tickets and taught traffic school one year. That's for $50K, $100K, $50K with $500 deductible. But I get a good driver discount LMAO. My AIS agent found a company that took my wifes spotless car license record and insured her on the KZ for $100 a year but the 6R is out. Too bad too because she loved riding it.

Old October 31st, 2010, 01:55 PM   #70
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

I'm paying about $700 for full coverage this year on my 250. Last year I payed 1,200 with the same company. I have 4 speeding tickets on my record, but 3 of them were dismissed. Unmarried 21 yr old male. Bare minimum coverage I think 25,000/50,000 with 1,000 dollar deductible.

Old November 1st, 2010, 06:19 AM   #71
rockingmtranch
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawboyCAFE View Post
dude, i was just kidding. i have full coverage on mine.
Lol...

Old November 1st, 2010, 04:14 PM   #72
Yoda
ninjette.org member

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Blue

360 a year full coverage for the 08 250 and 2010 R6. Gecko. Over 30 spotless record and MSF discount (which folks should recall that it expires after 3 years)

Old November 1st, 2010, 04:46 PM   #73
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazinCajun View Post
I checked recently on supersports and it was a similar % jump for me. Strangely, the 650cc twins weren't much less expensive than supersports for most of the companies I looked at.
I have state farm on BOTH my bikes!

I asked the guy at my state farm, Dont you guys go by "cc's" when figuring a base of Insurance cost on a motorcycle?

Answer: No, most insurance companies in the US at least, DONT go by CC's.
Body/Model type matters, Sport, Supersport, Touring, etc...
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote