ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 16th, 2014, 10:48 AM   #1
Insane Pie
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250

Went to change my brake pads, but had some issues installing the news ones.

I attempted to put on new brake pads, but it didn't work out too well.

Took off front caliper

Took off the old brake pads (pistons didn't move)

Attempted to push the pistons in and they didn't move. They're kinda dirty, that and/or I'm just a wimp. Or I thought they were all the way in.

Put new brake pads on and couldn't get the caliper back onto the rotor, so I put my old brake pads back in.

Now, the calipers are pretty dirty and have grime on the pistons. So would it be okay to pull in the brake a little bit to get the pistons to move out and then clean them and attempt to push them back in and see what happens?

I only tried to change out my front brakes and didn't even touch the back yet. My fork seals were leaking around the beginning of the year, so oil got on the caliper and all that. Took the bike in to get the seals changed, mechanic told me they used brake cleaner and that I should get my brakes changed soon. So, "soon" has been way overdue. Just to give a little background info on my front brakes.
Insane Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2014, 10:58 AM   #2
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Had the same problem when I did mine - clean the piston sides and push them in using a c-clamp (with like a piece of leather/folded paper towel on the clamping parts).
M42 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 16th, 2014, 11:31 AM   #3
ninjakuma
Stunts Extraodinar

Name: Ninjakuma

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Ninja 250

They take some pressure to push back in unless you release the pressure in the lines. They have to be 100% retracted. There is also a good chance the pads will seem to stick a bit before they seat in. All things I was freaking out about and couldn't find info on. The guides make it seem easier. I have a pregen but I'm sure the process is nearly identical. I gently used vice grips.

Old September 16th, 2014, 11:52 AM   #4
Insane Pie
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakuma View Post
They take some pressure to push back in unless you release the pressure in the lines. They have to be 100% retracted. There is also a good chance the pads will seem to stick a bit before they seat in. All things I was freaking out about and couldn't find info on. The guides make it seem easier. I have a pregen but I'm sure the process is nearly identical. I gently used vice grips.
By 100%, do you mean the pistons should be flush/close to flush with edge?
Insane Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2014, 12:26 PM   #5
ninjakuma
Stunts Extraodinar

Name: Ninjakuma

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Ninja 250

Yeah, I couldn't fit the pads in until then, and if you didn't need all the space it would just make it that much easier.

Old September 16th, 2014, 12:55 PM   #6
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Pie View Post
By 100%, do you mean the pistons should be flush/close to flush with edge?
+1 to the c-clamp. I cave a c-clamp just for this.

Flush or if you can recessed from the edge

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2014, 02:18 PM   #7
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

I have an autozone no name special tool that has a screw and plunger and a bracket to slip into the caliper but any clamp should work. Use the old brake pad as a plate to push against.

I normally can push the pistons in with just hand strength but on a multi-piston caliper pushing in one normally just makes one of the other extend out. The old brake pad as a plate helps made sure it moves both pistons and there really isn't anything that fits better lol.

On a opposing piston caliper before you pull the old pads, use a pry bar and wedge the old pads against each other pushing back the pistons into the caliper.

On all make sure the brake fluid reservoir is open and not completely full lol
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote