ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 15th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #1
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Bogging on start

Hi guys, couple of questions I hope you all can help me with.

Problem: When starting the bike, the bike has trouble starting. There are times when I have to hold the starter for 4 to 6 (or so) seconds before she would start. Sometimes, holding it down for that long still won't start the bike. Setting the choke to different distances sometimes helps but sometimes actually kills the bike. When I move the choke all the way to fully open, it's actually acting in reverse of what I expect. That is, the bike drops below idle.

Background: I just installed a Dynojet Stage 2 Jet Kit and an Area P standard exhaust. The jet kit called for the idle mixture screws to be set to three turns. When I adjusted the screws, I noticed from the factory that they were set unevenly, that is, one screw was set further in, while the other was out more. After adjusting, they are currenlty both set to three turns.

Question: Is this a problem with my idle mixture screws set to too rich? Should I back them up? Or is this a case of carb syncing (I have yet to do that). I will attempt Vex's DIY in regards to adjusting the screws but wanted to check first to see if it's something else.
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #2
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

The factory sets the idle mixes differentially, just as the stock needles are not identical. Once you've rejetted they should be the same on both sides.

I'd try rolling the idle mix screws in a turn; 3 turns out is pretty severe for a 'base' setting (usually it's suggested to step up to the next size pilot jet if you have to go that far for a happy engine). The info I usually use/see says start with 2 turns out from closed and back 'em out (towards 3 turns) a little at a time (I usually use 1/6 turn increments) from there until you hit the sweet spot.

Old March 15th, 2010, 04:03 PM   #3
kkim

Can you get the bike to run long enough to fully warm up? If so, what is your idle set to at that point?

To adjust the mixture screws I used this alternate method...

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...dle_mixture%3F
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #4
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Can you get the bike to run long enough to fully warm up? If so, what is your idle set to at that point?

Thanks Kelly, trying to visualize this adjustment, if say I adjust one screw and get it to a point where the engine runs fine, why would I need to adjust the other screw? Wouldn't adjusting the other screw mess up the adjustment that I just made to the now-perfectly adjusted screw? Or while adjusting the other screw, do I just keep on turning until I hear it mess up my adjustment of the other screw? Lastly, given Momaru's statement above, how bad is it for the screws to not be exactly set the same way?

P.S. The bike idles fine at around 1300 or so when fully warmed.

Old March 15th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #5
kkim

you need to tune both carbs so they pass almost the same mixture. At that point, the carbs work together. Any difference between the 2 results in a less than mixture that the engine needs. use the links provided to "tune" the circuits... I wouldn't worry that they are not exactly the same amount of turns out, only that the settings give you the desired results.

Don't forget to sync the carbs too.

Old March 15th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #6
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
you need to tune both carbs so they pass almost the same mixture. At that point, the carbs work together. Any difference between the 2 results in a less than mixture that the engine needs. use the links provided to "tune" the circuits... I wouldn't worry that they are not exactly the same amount of turns out, only that the settings give you the desired results.

Don't forget to sync the carbs too.
Thanks Kelly, I read the link you've provided. But I am still a bit confused as how to get them adjusted at the same time since I am adjusting one screw, getting the result I want, then adjusting the other. As I mentioned in my previous post, if one screw is already adjusted properly, wouldn't adjusting the other screw "undo" the adjustment I made with the first screw? Or do I adjust one screw, get that perfect and adjust the other until I notice it affect the "perfect" adjustment from the other screw?

Also, with Vex's carb sync tool, do you think any "oil" will work? Rather than throw it, I have a few unopened motor oil that I can use.

Old March 15th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #7
kkim

Don't know the "why" behind tuning both independently to work together, only know that it works.

You do one carb, get the results you're looking for, then do the other. Worked for me.

Any liquid will work for the sync tool, though the higher the viscosity, the shorter the tubing needs to be. Try the oil you have... the worst that can happen is that you'll suck motor oil into the engine if the carbs are way out of sync.

Old March 15th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #8
Momaru

Quote:
Same method, I just failed at explaining it. That's actually where I got the method I use.

Old March 15th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #9
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
Same method, I just failed at explaining it. That's actually where I got the method I use.
Which method? There are two mentioned there... cylinder misfire OR blipping the throttle?

Old March 15th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #10
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Oh one more thing... maybe a stupid question. The bike does not have to be level when doing the carb syncing and idle mixture tuning, right?

Old March 15th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #11
Momaru

Heh, fair enough. I usually go with the blipping method, if only because it's more fun imo

I usually tune on a rearstand, but I don't think it matters much. Just so long as you don't use slider pucks as stands and lay it over for tuning.
However you do want your carb syncher level.

Old March 17th, 2010, 05:27 AM   #12
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betlog View Post
Which method? There are two mentioned there... cylinder misfire OR blipping the throttle?
The best way for a carb:
Quote:
Turn in each screw(one at a time) until the cylinder for the screw being adjusted starts to miss, then turn it back out 1/4 turn.
Also if your at 3 turns out, its time for a new(bigger) pilot jet.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #13
kobachi
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250R

I have a bike I bought with this same jet/exhaust setup, and have the same "problem". Is there a risk of hurting something trying the starter for this long? I've never been able to /not/ get the bike started though, sometimes it just takes a few tries. I was under the impression that all of these bikes are a bit touchy starting up cold...?
kobachi is offline   Reply With Quote