ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old July 29th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[superbikeplanet.com] - From The Archives: Edwards Blows A Bitter Wind

Last week there was a post about painting your heatshield… This week, one of our readers Chris submitted some great step by step info on hwo to do this, but also doing the end cap on the exhaust as well… This adds a super rad touch…

[The following was Submitted by Chirs. Thanks!]

Picture 1- Finished product a few days after the paint has completely dried in the bright light.

Picture 2- Closer shot of the painted exhaust.

Picture 3- Supplies used. Napa had all the stuff I needed for about eight bucks. The sandpaper is 1200 grit. The guys at the store was telling me that you probably don’t want to use anything under an 800 if you don’t want to be able to see the scratches through the paint. (Obviously an undesired outcome). The Dupli-color paint is the same stuff 2Fiddy suggested, and it worked great.

Picture 4- Chrome cap/ring sanded and masked and ready for paint. I was originally going to paint it all black but the idea to mask off the rivets turned out looking pretty sweet. (Of course I was thinking it wouldn’t be hard to paint over it if it turned out bad)

Tips/Things learned- Even though the direction on the paint can say something about curing the paint for 1.5 hours at 400 degrees… Do not do this while the paint is still wet! I made this mistake and found that the paint started bubbling almost immediately. Luckily I just pulled it out of my oven and it was fine. I guess you might have to wait until it dry but I don’t know that for sure… Use a big piece of tape over the rivets and make sure to use something small and blunt to push the tape in around the rivets. After you are confident that is sticking down tightly use a razor to cut around the circles. If you mess up one or two you can always put that side of the cap toward the bike. (Don’t ask me how I know)

Update:

Reader Billy Sent in an awesome Up close picture of this mod completed: Thanks!!

Click here for full story...