ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 29th, 2011, 02:04 AM   #1
Zedster
ninjette.org member

Name: Zed

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Ninja bogging down?

Hi All, Noob here. I'm having a problem with my Kawi and would greatly appreciate some help!

I recently bought a used 250r, and it rode fine at first. Then after about 3 weeks, I was riding one day, and while slowing down at an intersection, the engine suddenly cut out. I figured that it was because I was new at riding and didn't use the right gear, but after I got the bike re-started, it started to feel really bogged. I would go shift the gears up like usual, but even after getting to 6th gear and throttled all the way, the max speed would be like 55~65 on the speedometer. It would suddenly feel like it caught on for 1~2 seconds and I would speed up, then immediately lose power, and slow down again. I was really close to home, so I just went home and parked. The next day when I rode it, it bogged for a couple of minutes, then was fine. I rode to my friend's place, he tried it, it was ok, we took out the air-filter and sprayed carb cleaner through there and the problem didn't happen again, he was unable to duplicate it either.

Then today, I started the bike after work, and it immediately died when I released the throttle. I figured it might have been because I was low on gas, so I went to the gas station and filled it up immediately, but with no change. It was bogged up the whole trip home (about an hour) with only 1 or 2 bursts of speed that lasted the longest at 10 seconds and the bogging would begin the minute I loosened the throttle. There was also popping sounds when I released the throttle. I searched for some solutions on my phone, and some problems showed were impurities in the gas tank (which I used seafoam on with no avail), vacuum in the gas tank (which I tried to relieve by opening my gas tank, but no wooshing sound and engine still slowing to a stall with it open), and checking the emissions system to see if it was flooded (no it wasn't, it sounded dry when I shook it). The hoses that I could see were not twisted either.

I'm overdue for an oil change, so I don't know if that's the matter, but I'm really hoping to hear some solutions before I have to bring the bike to a mechanic and have them disassemble everything. I've searched everything that I could find, and tried out some of the solutions, but couldn't really solve the answer short of bringing it to a mechanic. Please help!

BTW, some background info, I bought the bike used, and the previous owner had dropped it, it also has an after market Yoshimura exhaust, and I don't know if he made any other changes. However the bike was fine when I first got it, so I don't know if it is anything he did or I just happen to be unlucky.
Zedster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2011, 04:35 AM   #2
streetsquid
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ninja 250,2005 suzuki drz400 supermoto,2005 cr150f supermoto,2009 klx 110,1998 Z-50

It sounds like you might need to clean the carbs out. But you rode it and it starting doing this. How long did the bike sit for? I found on the smaller bikes if you let them sit sometimes more then a week the gas can evaporate inside the carbs an clog the small jets

This is where myself would start but maybe someone will post up something else. I am somewhat new to the 250s but been riding street for lots of years

Old September 29th, 2011, 06:34 AM   #3
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

I'm thinking a carb or spark plug issue. Will you be doing the work? A carb tear-down can overwhelm some.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #4
Zedster
ninjette.org member

Hi all, thanks for the quick reply. The cycle hasn't been sitting long, I've been riding it almost everyday for a couple of weeks before the issue started, and even in the morning both times it occurred, I had been riding and it was fine. The first time it happened was at night, and the second time was late evening around 6:30, both times it wasn't too hot or cold, about 60~70 degrees out, so it probably wasn't the temperature either.

If I need a carb tear down, I won't be doing the work, I'll have to bring it to a mechanic. I have basic mechanical and electrical knowledge and am willing to learn more, but I think that it'll be too hard and dangerous for a noob like me to to a complete tear down.

Old September 29th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #5
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

Perhaps its a mixture issue like I had? I'm no expert by any means, but it does sound kind of similar to my bogging problems, once I started fiddling with those carburetors to change up my fuel/air mixture I haven't had any bogging issues (besides the obvious signs of me going too extreme with my testing ie: a main jet that was wayyy too big or needles moved too far etc) here was my thread http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85978

Old September 29th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #6
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

While you're having the bogging issues, look to see if the exhaust pipes under the bike turns/glows orange.

Old September 29th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #7
Zedster
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
While you're having the bogging issues, look to see if the exhaust pipes under the bike turns/glows orange.
I haven't checked it yet, but what does it mean if the exhaust does glow? The previous owner modified the exhaust, so I'm not sure if it'll still glow. As of last night, however much I rested the bike, it was bogging down from start. I could rev up the engine really high, but the minute I changed it to first gear it'll slow down to the point of almost stalling, but I'd be able to move forward, and gain speed very slowly.

Old October 1st, 2011, 02:34 PM   #8
Zedster
ninjette.org member

I dropped it off at a mechanics today, they're going to do a carb tear-down and hopefully that will solve the problem...

Old October 13th, 2011, 02:08 AM   #9
dragonboy
ninjette.org member

Name: JT

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE Green Machine, 2011 250R SE White Lightning

Any luck fixing the problem?
dragonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2011, 02:32 AM   #10
wayanlam
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

this has happened to me a couple times, but it was quickly fixed when i realized a friend of mine that occasionally passes by the office put on the choke! lol...

make sure the choke is totally off once the bike is warmed up (if you use it at all )

Old October 14th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #11
indr
ninjette.org guru

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

Same symptoms experienced here during a trip a week back. First I figured it was because of the high elevation and cold and humid weather ****ing up the A/F ratios. Same thing happened today at sea level. Gonna change out the spark plugs tomorrow and add some seafoam to the tank.
indr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2011, 06:07 PM   #12
Zedster
ninjette.org member

I put seafoam, didn't work, put berrymans, didn't work, took it into the mechanics, they changed out the spark plug and oil, did a carb clean, came out fine. For 1 day. The next day it was acting up again. Waited until the weekend and it was still bogging, so took it back to the mechanics, and this time they took it apart for free to try to find the problem. They couldn't find anything, but maybe they dislodged something that was in one of the lines without noticing, because it was fine after they put it back together and now it's running sweet again. I hope the problem doesn't come back!!

Old October 18th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #13
dragonboy
ninjette.org member

Name: JT

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE Green Machine, 2011 250R SE White Lightning

Glad to hear its working properly again. Can you check with your mechanic what it was? Trying to do some trouble shooting myself. Thanks!
dragonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2011, 01:15 PM   #14
ceke
ninjette.org member

Name: United States

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

bogging story with a short happy ending

I recently bought a used 09 2 months ago witk 5K miles that was bogging consistently when I flicked the throttle from idle but was ok if I slowly increased throttle from idle, even after a good warm-up. I think the previous owner had let it sit for some time as it had a decent coat of dust when I went to look at. Dust here in SoCal doesn't always mean it sat for long though. My daughter has been learning to ride on it and the bogging was really getting in the way. We pulled all the plastic and checked all the tubes for kinks, leaks, check the plug wires, cleaned air filter, but didn't do any major mechanical work. Buttoned it back up, put some Berrymans in it, and rode it for about 100 miles with no improvement. I decided to give the engine a good 'workout' before resorting to more drastic measures, so took it for a ride getting the revs up near red line for a second in 1st, 2nd, then 3rd, then off the throttle to let it engine brake hard in 3rd. After the second 'workout' the bogging was gone, throttle flick response was good from idle, the bogging was gone. I was loving this bike with the bogging, now its plain awesome . It's been about 2 weeks now with daily riding and the bogging hasn't returned (knock on wood).
ceke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #15
hybridkid
ninjette.org member

Name: KJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R (Sold - I'll miss you Ebony), 2009 Honda CBR 600RR ABS (Alexis), 2010 BMW S1000RR

YES..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceke View Post
I recently bought a used 09 2 months ago witk 5K miles that was bogging consistently when I flicked the throttle from idle but was ok if I slowly increased throttle from idle, even after a good warm-up. I think the previous owner had let it sit for some time as it had a decent coat of dust when I went to look at. Dust here in SoCal doesn't always mean it sat for long though. My daughter has been learning to ride on it and the bogging was really getting in the way. We pulled all the plastic and checked all the tubes for kinks, leaks, check the plug wires, cleaned air filter, but didn't do any major mechanical work. Buttoned it back up, put some Berrymans in it, and rode it for about 100 miles with no improvement. I decided to give the engine a good 'workout' before resorting to more drastic measures, so took it for a ride getting the revs up near red line for a second in 1st, 2nd, then 3rd, then off the throttle to let it engine brake hard in 3rd. After the second 'workout' the bogging was gone, throttle flick response was good from idle, the bogging was gone. I was loving this bike with the bogging, now its plain awesome . It's been about 2 weeks now with daily riding and the bogging hasn't returned (knock on wood).
Imma rev the hell out of my bike tonight then...
hybridkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

The ever-popular Italian tune-up.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote