ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Notices

Old February 28th, 2018, 03:50 PM   #1
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
What the...

And you though you had some handling issues -

Link to original page on YouTube.

jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old February 28th, 2018, 04:54 PM   #2
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Those people are going about it all wrong. Get up and walk it off you wuss!

Lol, j/k.

I stared at the a while to try to figure out what kind of bike he has.

Old February 28th, 2018, 04:58 PM   #3
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
That's a big **** in his pants!

Old February 28th, 2018, 06:11 PM   #4
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Terminal, unrecoverable speed-wobble is one of the dangers when you land a high-speed wheelie.

Isn't it obvious? This dude tried to hide the evidence by trimming the video down to just as the speed-wobble goes from bad to worse.

His bike was a 2012 Kawasaki Z1000.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2018, 06:45 PM   #5
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
People went through video frame by frame and found a coup!e good ones showing he was going 94mph!!!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2018, 08:22 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
Terminal, unrecoverable speed-wobble is one of the dangers when you land a high-speed wheelie.

Isn't it obvious? This dude tried to hide the evidence by trimming the video down to just as the speed-wobble goes from bad to worse.
Given the video clipping / editing choices, I'd bet a fair amount that you're probably on the right track. But there's a possibility the rider is telling the truth. He posted up his story (quoted here)

https://jalopnik.com/worlds-luckiest...r-a-1823397322

Quote:
How did I get the wobbles? NO I DIDN’T WHEELIE. I was merging onto the freeway, checking traffic while I ventured over to the carpool lane. When I got next to the carpool lane, I check if it was clear again, then merged in while quickly accelerating in first gear. When I got up to enough speed to pass traffic (Traffic was doing 75-80 MPH) I changed into second gear (where the clip starts). First mistake I made was having my weight WAY too far back on the bike while accelerating, that mixed with the extremely bumpy freeway and the acceleration of the bike caused the front wheel to go extremely light. Thus causing the violent speed wobbles.
The earlier generations Z1000 did have a bad rap for steering stability though, and from reasonable journalists - not just those landing wheelies wrong and calling foul. Here's one link that references the review.

Personally, I do find it cheap and unwise that manufacturers do leave out steering dampers on bikes with aggressive geometry and high power. I almost threw myself down the road while accelerating on a bumpy road on an R6 I used to have, prior to fitting a damper. Only blind luck and the road going in the direction my bike was aimed kept me on board. Once I fitted a damper, no stability issues on bumpy roads. More laidback geometry on street-focused bikes, and/or alternate front-end designs like BMW, also lower the need for such a gadget. I don't have one on any of my current bikes and don't feel like I'm missing anything.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 28th, 2018, 08:34 PM   #7
greg737
-

Interesting post, Alex,

especially his claim that "... I changed into second gear (where the clip starts)."

According to the video sleuths that @DannoXYZ mentioned, the speedo on his bike was indicating 94 MPH at the time of the incident. Judging from the rate of overtake he had on the white sedan and the semi truck at the start of the clip, I'm very willing to believe in that 94 MPH estimate.

So he's telling us his Z1000 goes over 90 MPH in first gear?

Old March 1st, 2018, 05:57 AM   #8
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

If that was a z1000, first gear is about 65 mph. He might have just got out of 2nd gear at 90 or so. Rake is 24.5 deg on recent z1000 bikes, not something I would call overly agressive. But he doesn't necessarily have to be lying. Top of 2nd makes for a really light front on the Z and combined with the bumpy road a tank slapper could happen just as easily as a sloppy wheelie put down.

Old March 1st, 2018, 08:20 AM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
He also made it worse by fighting the wobble. The bike may well have sorted itself out if he hadn't fallen victim to Survival Reaction #2.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2018, 09:03 AM   #10
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I can't believe everyone is falling for his story. This guy does this kind of tricks all the time. Each time taking it a step further. This was all staged as the ultimate stunt. He made up the story so as to not get arrested. The **** in his pants had been there for days.

Old March 1st, 2018, 06:02 PM   #11
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
So how would a person recover a speed-wobble like that?
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2018, 06:11 PM   #12
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

I usually just let go of the bars and it straightens itself out.

Old March 1st, 2018, 11:41 PM   #13
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I vote squid

Old March 2nd, 2018, 10:35 AM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
No surefire single method that will work every time, but the basic problem is that the current oscillation is getting stronger and stronger at the existing speed and weight on front end. So the idea is that you need to change those conditions in some way to get the wobble to be less severe each oscillation instead of more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
I usually just let go of the bars and it straightens itself out.
Yep - bikes that are generally pretty stable might need nothing more than that. Bikes with really light and easy-steering front ends, at non-crazy speeds, can be muscled back to straight. With any of those 45ish mph wobbles that weren't uncommon on the new-gen 250's, it's easy to just force them to straighten out.

The problem is that sometimes just slowly letting off the gas and letting the bike slow down makes the wobble worse. If it's already flipping close to lock to lock, putting more weight on the front end by slowing makes it worse rather than better. If the bike has decent power, rolling on the throttle instead may do a better job than anything else, but it's counter-intuitive.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old March 2nd, 2018, 10:37 AM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I can't believe everyone is falling for his story. This guy does this kind of tricks all the time. Each time taking it a step further. This was all staged as the ultimate stunt. He made up the story so as to not get arrested. The **** in his pants had been there for days.
I don't think everyone is falling for his story.

Old March 2nd, 2018, 12:16 PM   #16
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Open 'er up!

Many times that type of thing get worse when decelerating or braking. In Land Speed Racing, there have been plenty of cases where that happens just after the traps as the bike is slowing.

I saw a Harley on the Interstate one day that was oscillating the entire time. It was worse when he rolled off the gas, and went away when he was accelerating. It was in between while cruising. Didn't phase him.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2018, 12:37 PM   #17
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
The problem is that sometimes just slowly letting off the gas and letting the bike slow down makes the wobble worse. If it's already flipping close to lock to lock, putting more weight on the front end by slowing makes it worse rather than better. If the bike has decent power, rolling on the throttle instead may do a better job than anything else, but it's counter-intuitive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Open 'er up!

Many times that type of thing get worse when decelerating or braking. In Land Speed Racing, there have been plenty of cases where that happens just after the traps as the bike is slowing.
Yeah! Just wheelie that mis-behaving front-end off ground and it'll stop shaking bike. I've seen some amazing S-turns done on track with front-tyre off ground entire time!!!

Old March 2nd, 2018, 12:45 PM   #18
greg737
-

Quote:
... but it's counter-intuitive.
In the fast-airplane world there are a lot of opportunities to end up in this type of situation.

Often things can't be left to the human reactions produced by felt sensations "in the moment" because by the time your mind processes the information and commands a muscular reaction/response at the controls it will be too late and out-of-phase and only make things worse instead of better.

Any time one or more of the stability augmentation systems goes down there will be limitations on how you fly the aircraft (how high, how fast, configurations, etc.)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 3rd, 2018, 01:58 AM   #19
psykown
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 "sold" 2014 ninja 300 "Gold" 2000 DRZ400S (Sold the POS) K7 GSXR600 (Also POS...see a pattern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Open 'er up!

I saw a Harley on the Interstate one day that was oscillating the entire time. It was worse when he rolled off the gas, and went away when he was accelerating. It was in between while cruising. Didn't phase him.
It worked for me, got a bit of a tank slapper on the older 250 after hitting a squirrel and a roll on of the throttle settled it right down again

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 3rd, 2018, 07:00 PM   #20
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Thanks- this is a good discussion.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2018, 05:28 AM   #21
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by psykown View Post
It worked for me, got a bit of a tank slapper on the older 250 after hitting a squirrel and a roll on of the throttle settled it right down again
Dear squirrely in Daytona, by chance, as you cranked the throttle did it cause you to apply more weight on the foot pegs (lowering the center of gravity)?

Old March 6th, 2018, 04:31 PM   #22
psykown
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 "sold" 2014 ninja 300 "Gold" 2000 DRZ400S (Sold the POS) K7 GSXR600 (Also POS...see a pattern?

Actually it was a squirrel in MD, but I dont think so, I had just enough time to squeeze the tank with my knees before I hit it so that may have helped as well.

PS for any one in Cali the little rock squirrel things that are sort of chubby and run super slow are a pain in the rear to avoid.

PPS if you hit a bird with a DRZ400S you wont know it until you see the feathers and chunks of meat stuck in the radiator/wheel/fairings

Old March 6th, 2018, 04:54 PM   #23
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykown View Post
PS if you hit a bird with a DRZ400S you wont know it until you see the feathers and chunks of meat stuck in the radiator/wheel/fairings
I think this entire depends upon size of bird???