ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 26th, 2013, 03:47 AM   #1
kush452
ninjette.org member

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Red face Used search but? About color of spark plug

Hi ninjettes the only modification that would change anything was the addition of Leo vince corsa . I shinned the needles with two number 4 washers on each carb. I plugged the plugs and they were white indicating it's lean. However there is a dark ring on the sparkplug indicating rich somewhere in the throttle range. I'd like some advice on how to go about tuning the carb. Since its just a slip on I didn't think I'd have to change jet sizes but maybe I do. Here how the carb is now.
Idle screws :2.5 turns out on both (is outward making it more rich?)
Pilot :stock
Needles:stock with two washers on each needles
Main jet:stock.
This is my first time ever troubleshooting carbs and the process has been kinda frustrating since I don't have a experience. I know that I am capable of learning and performing it since I am handy but this black art is elusive at the moment. I am located in Detroit Michigan in advance for any help given

kush452 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2013, 05:00 AM   #2
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Looks lean. And these bikes are lean anyhow. Is it a full system? Looks like you need to re jet any how. Hold the plug further away so it is clear in the photo. I can make it big enough to see if it is clear.

Old March 26th, 2013, 05:12 AM   #3
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Your pics SUCK, just saying

Your definitely lean and as far as the dark ring I don't have previous knowledge to confirm this so its just a theory. You probably didn't do a plug chop so the dark ring is all the unburnt fuel that collects at idle. Since this is a street bike and spends a good amount of time at low RPMs I believe even with a proper plug chop your still going to see a significantly darker area around the edge because that edge doesn't happen in an instant nor will it change much in an instant. Ill try and find a pic of my last plug inspection but I doubt my pics Suck any less then yours.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2013, 05:25 AM   #4
kush452
ninjette.org member

Lol I took pictures with a better camera just get them at work on my phone. So I'll post them later. Since I read temp changes lean vs rich does colder temps make it more rich or lean? So what I should do is plug check at different throttle positions? Since I don't know where it's lean at. Its just the slip on also

Old March 26th, 2013, 05:52 AM   #5
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Temp does have an effect but from my experience 40 degs or so isn't enough to require a jetting change. I never plug chop my 250 because its not convenient so you should have to ether, I was only stating the variables. I'm not going to try and help figure out you jetting because I don't have a slip on with shims so I have no reference. My bike has a full Leo street system with the most restricting quite core inserted and a Dinojet stage 2 needles with 98 mains and a K&N airbox filter(not pods), and my bike runs perfect everyday at any temp and every elevation.

I'd recommend following what has been proven to work instead of fiddling with it and chance wasting more time. Shimming he needles adjust the timing of the fuel delivery but IMO its a bandaid compared to getting the proper tapered needles that come in the aftermarket kits.

This is all based off my experiences which are limited but consist off people with shimmed needles(some with slipons, full, stock) are "satisfied" with the result and people with the kit setups are "ecstatic" with the results.

All just food for thought so take what you want and ignore the rest

Old March 26th, 2013, 06:19 AM   #6
kush452
ninjette.org member

Right on man you pointed me in the right direction that for sure. I, just being ignorant to all this didn't and still don't fully know this well yet. I might consider new needles but first I'll be trying to find which area it is that's lean. You answered my questions in your theory I figured it was something like that or of the sorts. I appreciate your answers. I am going to come tine to read and try to further understand jetting so I feel more confident on how to get it done.

Old March 26th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #7
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Since you have just a slip on exhaust, you've shimmed the needles and it is still cold as sh** in Detroit, just leave it be. The bike is basically stock and should run fine. How many miles on that bike, because the plugs look new? Got a fairly new bike that's still not really broken in?

The area in which you will be closer to a lean condition (AFR less than 14.7:1) is around 6k, But that is normal. Shimming helps out a bit. You're not going to blow up or damage your engine. Look at this dyno chart for a stock Ninja.

Have a look at this spark plug chart. You may find that the color of your plug is good.

More information on Jetting, Air Fuel Ratios, Airboxes and Exhaust
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2013, 07:08 AM   #8
kush452
ninjette.org member

The bike has 1500 miles on it and I put new plugs in it for checking them out. . The bike runs just fine I just don't want to cause damage. I shimmed and after that it ran great just the color white worried me.

Old March 26th, 2013, 07:17 AM   #9
kush452
ninjette.org member

The closest picture to my plug is 22. But mine is whiter.

Old March 26th, 2013, 07:20 AM   #10
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kush452 View Post
The bike has 1500 miles on it and I put new plugs in it for checking them out. . The bike runs just fine I just don't want to cause damage. I shimmed and after that it ran great just the color white worried me.
Never put in fresh plugs then check them, you have to put on a good bit of time on them to get a proper reading. New plugs will always give a leaner reading then what you'll see 200 miles later.

Old March 26th, 2013, 07:34 AM   #11
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kush452 View Post
The closest picture to my plug is 22. But mine is whiter.
1500 miles is low miles. Don't over think your plug condition. As the temps changes so will your plug color. It is possible to see a grayish-white tip and be normal.

From NGK website

How to Read Your Spark Plug

FAQ Reading Spark Plugs
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #12
kush452
ninjette.org member

Did not know that. Glad to be part of the community around here. Members have so much know ledge. So I will probably be just fine. o give it a couple hundred miles and check them then.? Right on guys