Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old May 30th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #1
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Name: Robenson

Motorcycle(s): 05 F4i....

Punishment...

I don't get it when pple ride without a helmet... I did it today for the first time and it's probably the most idiotic thing I've done yet.. I went to the local store, wanted to pick up a new helmet, but since I couldn't Carry it in my backpack I thought I'd ride over there without a helmet and wear it on my way back... the store was just about 5 miles away, so I figured it wouldn't be that bad.

I could barely open my eyes. stuff was flying into my face from all directions. worse, I was doing 60-65mph, and the wind is a little bit heavy today..

if You ride without a helmet, big props to you...but that sh... crazy.

so far the helmet feels promising though...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-Scorpion-EXO-R410-Incline-Helmet-Red-MCSS.jpg (172.7 KB, 2 views)
RJprod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #2
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

I can't ride very long with out one also dam wind.

Old May 30th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #3
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
why not just drive a car to the shop to pick up the helmet, bring it back to your bike and then ride with a helmet. If no car, get friend to drive you

you said it pretty good when you said riding without a helmet is crazy. But people who do it will get no props from me, it makes no sense in my head, why you would risk it.
But of coarse they are the selfish "bad a$$" guys right? (no helmet biker) "man if i die riding my bike so be it, not a better way to go, die doing something i love" well ahh yeah, sure... if you die, who knows maybe you will get lucky and not die in the wreck and you can be a vegetable for the rest of your life and your stupid decision can ruin one of your loved ones lives as they now feel the responsibility to take care of your dumb a$$ in your incoherent state.
Or you can be happy that you did die in the wreck and not care about the psychological damage your awesome decision has caused the 16yr girl who just got her license who made a bad driving decision which led to accidentally cracking open that hollow melon of yours.

At least you got the feel the wind in your hair right? right?

subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #4
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
why not just drive a car to the shop to pick up the helmet, bring it back to your bike and then ride with a helmet. If no car, get friend to drive you

you said it pretty good when you said riding without a helmet is crazy. But people who do it will get no props from me, it makes no sense in my head, why you would risk it.
But of coarse they are the selfish "bad a$$" guys right? (no helmet biker) "man if i die riding my bike so be it, not a better way to go, die doing something i love" well ahh yeah, sure... if you die, who knows maybe you will get lucky and not die in the wreck and you can be a vegetable for the rest of your life and your stupid decision can ruin one of your loved ones lives as they now feel the responsibility to take care of your dumb a$$ in your incoherent state.
Or you can be happy that you did die in the wreck and not care about the psychological damage your awesome decision has caused the 16yr girl who just got her license who made a bad driving decision which led to accidentally cracking open that hollow melon of yours.

new to the city, dnt have any friend.. couldn't figure out which bus goes there..

Old May 30th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #5
sLick415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Youre supposed to wear shades.. L2squid
sLick415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #6
fishdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post

Old May 30th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #7
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

I rode about 20 feet in a parking garage to my sister's car to grab my gear & felt so vulnerable. I can't imagine anyone riding on the street or highway without it on.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #8
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I've tooled around my street and parking lots without a helmet before. Enough to know I would never, ever legitimately ride without one.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2013, 04:28 PM   #9
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Today I had to do a bunch of errands in the 90 degree heat in the city. But I'm ATGATT, so I had my full armor, kevlar and jacket over it, boots, gauntlets and helmet. When I made my last stop a mile from my house, I just tossed my gloves in my tank bag, left my ear plugs out, and left my jacket open for the one mile home. I was SO UNCOMFORTABLE. I was sure that some idiot was gonna blast into me on this one ride, and my hands would get shredded, and my jacket would get ripped off.

Turns out: wearing full gear does strange (and GOOD) things to your mind.
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #10
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
I saw two sport bike riders today not wearing helmets, but they both had helmets hanging on their bikes. wtf?
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #11
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I ride around the pits without a helmet or gear
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #12
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
I saw two sport bike riders today not wearing helmets, but they both had helmets hanging on their bikes. wtf?
yea, that's another trend I c going on over here too..

Old May 30th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #13
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I would've bungee'd the 2nd helmet to the back of the bike for the ride back.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #14
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

i rode around the block with no helmet once, but it was really uncomfortable.
dirt kept blowing into my eyes, my hair got dirty, and i got hit with bird $#!+

after i got done, my neighbor handed me a sign...

Old May 30th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #15
fishdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
Most guy I see do this for the girl they give a ride to. You know the girl shoes tshirt and shorts I'd rather not have a helmit on with so little gear don't want to be eating pavment as you stay awake do to your helmet stoping the pavement from knocking you out

Old May 30th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #16
voidrider
ninjette.org member

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 2000 Kawasaki Super Sherpa

I've seen the "helmets as a motorcycle fashion accessory" on several forums for a few years. I guess in some circles you buy a VERY expensive Arai, Shoei, or Shuberth, and hang it on your bike. Its bling, its saying "I haz money hoes"!

The story that comes from my personal experience was riding east here in Eastern Oregon. I was just taking an easy ride before sunset and riding to the west was a cruiser rider with a beanie helmet. I don't know if he realized it, but his face looked like freaking jerky...dark red deep tissue sunburn/windburn. As they are required by law he did have goggles on, but my good grief...his face looked so burned I image if a big bug hit him, it would just peel skin away and bleed freely.

I'll happily continue wearing my FF helmet. I people often think I am 20 years younger than I am...no desire for the reverse effect.
voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #17
Bentley813
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White 300

I still haven't gotten on the bike without full gear. Took a 10 mile cruise today in 90 degree weather with everything on. Warm, but not terrible. Worst part is putting your sweaty helmet on after it's been off a few minutes. I hate that.
Bentley813 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2013, 09:17 AM   #18
keith217
ninjette.org member

Name: Trill

Motorcycle(s): 250r

I agree. While I like the look lf not having your helmet on. However, the problem is if you were to go down, you'd be completely screwed. I prefer having some protection...
keith217 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2013, 10:47 AM   #19
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley813 View Post
Worst part is putting your sweaty helmet on after it's been off a few minutes. I hate that.
^^^ this for sure
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2013, 11:06 AM   #20
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Ya gotta ventilate bra
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2013, 11:55 AM   #21
Chuffmonkey
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 250R SE (sold 5/8/13)

There was a guy here riding with his kid on the back last weekend. He had no helmet, and the kid (12) did. They went down - end result is that this 12 year old had to watch his father die in the street from head injuries.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=253...cycle-accident

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. Maybe it's the European in me coming to the fore, but sometimes legislation that saves us from ourselves makes sense to me (plus it might help me pay less $ in insurance).
Chuffmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2013, 06:13 PM   #22
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

First off, if you ride with no helmet, you need eye protection. Everyone knows that.

Second, I get tired of people who decide that their personal decision regarding risk/reward are the only valid ones. We all take a risk by getting on a motorcycle. We have ways to limit that risk, but it is there, none the less. Some people choose to take more of a risk, for more enjoyment. It is a personal decision, and it's none of your business.

And btw, if some teenager is driving like an idiot and kills someone with no helmet, I have no sympathy for the idiot driver or their guilty conscience. That's what happens when you make bad decisions.

FWIW, i have driven with no helmet before, when I was single with children. Now, I have people that depend on me to provide for their needs, so the risk, to me, is no loner worth it. Later in life, when my children have grown up, and my wife is tired of me, I may choose to sometimes ride with no helmet. Frankly, that's my decision, and it's the business of no one else, besides my wife.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2013, 07:30 PM   #23
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

You shouldn't wish injury or death on anybody. I've been squidding in the heat recently. T shirt and Levi's. in California we have to wear a helmet by law. If I plan on doing a short trip and using my motorcycle for utilitarian purposes and its hotter than hell, I'm going to be comfortable. If anything bad happens I know I'll get hurt. But to be honest, when I wear the 1 piece I turn into a super hero. Captain jackass. I'm probably safer with some of the gear some of the time.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote