ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Closed Thread

Old August 14th, 2016, 08:04 AM   #241
ZeroGravity360
Just sittin on my stool..

Name: Amanda

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
Did you clean the pistons before pushing them back in? As you use up the brake pads, more of the side of the piston is exposed and gets road crud on it. If you push it back in without cleaning it, it can interfere with the seals. It's best if you disassemble the whole caliper and clean it thoroughly (which also ensures that you're servicing related parts like replacing old fluid), but you should at least be making sure the sides of the pistons are scrubbed clean.

Ghostt has posted a writeup of the caliper cleaning process if you want to search for it.
Okay, this is what I was referring too, so obviously it is normal @snot

@InvisiBill I already pushed them back in before I cleaned them. Should I take it back off and clean them?

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old August 14th, 2016, 08:05 AM   #242
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Sorry, not trying to be mean, just trying to emphasize the importance of your brakes.

Old August 14th, 2016, 08:09 AM   #243
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Sorry, not trying to be mean, just trying to emphasize the importance of your brakes.
No, this is why I am asking, so I do it correctly. But someone referring that I shouldn't be doing it because of x y and z really bothers me. How do people learn if they never do it? Telling someone they need to take it to the shop until they know what they are doing? How do you learn if you never do it? Plus the street crud is normal, saying it's not after someone already said it was? I feel like I'm being put on blast for no reason lol. Anyway, back to learning the proper way to do Maintenance.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 14th, 2016, 08:11 AM   #244
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Street crud is normal, and folks normally clean it off so their brakes continue to function correctly...

You should look up the PDF maintenance / shop manual for your bike before doing anything... And read the whole operation before you start

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 14th, 2016, 08:15 AM   #245
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity360 View Post
No, this is why I am asking, so I do it correctly. But someone referring that I shouldn't be doing it because of x y and z really bothers me. How do people learn if they never do it? Telling someone they need to take it to the shop until they know what they are doing? How do you learn if you never do it? Plus the street crud is normal, saying it's not after someone already said it was? I feel like I'm being put on blast for no reason lol. Anyway, back to learning the proper way to do Maintenance.
He meant it's normal for the crap to get on the exposed part of the piston as your pads wear down and more piston is exposed. When you get new pads and they have to be pushed back in to compensate for thickness you want to make sure they're clean. If youre confident that it won't interfere with the seals, that's your call to make, it's your bike.

Old August 14th, 2016, 08:20 AM   #246
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
Street crud is normal, and folks normally clean it off so their brakes continue to function correctly...

You should look up the PDF maintenance / shop manual for your bike before doing anything... And read the whole operation before you start
Lol yeah, I had someone help me so I didn't read it gully. Plus, i have a hard time reading and understanding stuff with out seeing it visually too. The videos I watched on changing brakes, they didn't clean them before. I think imma do what invisibill suggested and take them apart to clean them. Now that I have a basic understanding of how to put them back on, I think it'll be okay. I'm going to get a bleeding kit to do that part this week. It's supposed to pour this entire week and this week is my vacation. Oh we'll, it give me plenty of time to do the maintenance needed. Plus now, when my tire arrives from csmith12 I can check my back brakes too, just to make sure things are working properly. I'm glad I asked though, I wouldn't have thought about the street crud thing. I'll look up maintenance on the pistons on YouTube so I can do it my self. I rather do it myself so I know what was done to it. Maybe bad experiences in shops lately, I rather know it's done right.

Old August 14th, 2016, 08:23 AM   #247
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Quote:
Lol yeah, I had someone help me so I didn't read it gully. Plus, i have a hard time reading and understanding stuff with out seeing it visually too. The videos I watched on changing brakes, they didn't clean them before. I think imma do what invisibill suggested and take them apart to clean them. Now that I have a basic understanding of how to put them back on, I think it'll be okay. I'm going to get a bleeding kit to do that part this week. It's supposed to pour this entire week and this week is my vacation. Oh we'll, it give me plenty of time to do the maintenance needed. Plus now, when my tire arrives from csmith12 I can check my back brakes too, just to make sure things are working properly. I'm glad I asked though, I wouldn't have thought about the street crud thing. I'll look up maintenance on the pistons on YouTube so I can do it my self. I rather do it myself so I know what was done to it. Maybe bad experiences in shops lately, I rather know it's done right.
If you don't have the tool and are having a hard time getting them out, remember not to score the hell out of the rim with plyers.

Old August 14th, 2016, 08:29 AM   #248
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
If you don't have the tool and are having a hard time getting them out, remember not to score the hell out of the rim with plyers.
Wait... The rims? What are you talking about the brakes are on the discs not the rims... The tool kit that comes with your bike has what's needed to take the brakes off the discs. I don't know what you are referring to.

Old August 14th, 2016, 09:01 AM   #249
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Ok....
How did I learn before the internet?
I read up on things in a manual, got the correct tools, and took my time. I started slow, hoses, belts, tune ups, oil change, then moved on to transmission lines, brakes, electrical, etc.
If I didn't have the tool I bought it, if I was unsure I took it to a shop, until I could learn.
Learning is good but there is a right way and a wrong way. You don't wire a house, turn on the power and then ask what color the ground wire is. You read, ask questions, get the tools, take a class, etc. first.

Learning is not an excuse for doing it wrong. I don't do work then pray when I get in the car or on the bike and hope I don't die because I might not of done it correctly or I know I didn't.

I am not trying to be mean, I think it's great you want to learn. But, you need to slow down and start found things correctly. You might need to take a class in basic mechanics, or read up more first. Bolts have torque ratings, are you using a torque wrench? Do you have the tools? If not, get the tools first.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 14th, 2016, 09:09 AM   #250
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
I understand your way of telling people things is a bit harsh, but I just said I had someone who knew what he was doing help me. If you read above, I swear ghost or someone literally says that you may need to scrub them to get "street crud" off of them. Maybe you should not jumping to conclusions. And please speak a little nicer to people.
You said some crud scrapped off while pushing it in...I did read all of it.

If your friend knows what they are doing then they would know it should be cleaned first.

My patience are wearing thin, I have been nice but you refuse to take advice when it is given nicely and in a "beat around the bush" manner. Direct is the only way you listen. I am trying to help you and help you understand the importance of what you are doing. There is a right way to learn and 100 wrong ways.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 14th, 2016, 09:15 AM   #251
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
Ok....
How did I learn before the internet?
I read up on things in a manual, got the correct tools, and took my time. I started slow, hoses, belts, tune ups, oil change, then moved on to transmission lines, brakes, electrical, etc.
If I didn't have the tool I bought it, if I was unsure I took it to a shop, until I could learn.
Learning is good but there is a right way and a wrong way. You don't wire a house, turn on the power and then ask what color the ground wire is. You read, ask questions, get the tools, take a class, etc. first.

Learning is not an excuse for doing it wrong. I don't do work then pray when I get in the car or on the bike and hope I don't die because I might not of done it correctly or I know I didn't.

I am not trying to be mean, I think it's great you want to learn. But, you need to slow down and start found things correctly. You might need to take a class in basic mechanics, or read up more first. Bolts have torque ratings, are you using a torque wrench? Do you have the tools? If not, get the tools first.
Let's just agree to disagree. I didn't just wing it, again as stated multiple times. I had someone help me. The brakes were put in with proper tools, and the pistons were pushed in with a mini c wrench. The only thing that was looked over the the street crud which is why I ASKED questions. I really wish you guys understood that. You don't go to school, listen to a lecture and then never ask a questions if you don't understand. This is not ignorance this is trying to search how to do it the CORRECT way. But you seem to thing no one should ask questions and magically understand how to do everything in the world. I ask, because I don't know and I want to know. Please stop discouraging people from asking and stating they should already know. That's not how people learn. Anyway I'm not going to ague anymore. I just want to know how the heck to get the pistons back out, that's all I care about right now lol. Anyone?

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old August 14th, 2016, 09:19 AM   #252
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
You need to take the caliper apart to get the pistons out.
There are other ways but since they need cleaned just pushing them out could do more damage.
Fwiw...in the future ask first then do the work.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old August 14th, 2016, 09:28 AM   #253
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

It's good to have someone else help you but sometimes the person helping doesn't know as much as he/she should. It's easy to get intimidated at performing some tasks and having the assistance of someone who's done something similar before lessens the intimidation. We just want you to learn it the correct way the first time and show you why it is the correct way so you are not out of money, time, and life.

Old August 14th, 2016, 10:46 AM   #254
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
It's good to have someone else help you but sometimes the person helping doesn't know as much as he/she should. It's easy to get intimidated at performing some tasks and having the assistance of someone who's done something similar before lessens the intimidation. We just want you to learn it the correct way the first time and show you why it is the correct way so you are not out of money, time, and life.
Yes, you are very right. But it experience lol the same goes for people who work in a shop. Most of themhalf ass the work and you would never know. That's why after my experiences lately, I rather just do it myself. That way,if something is done wrong at least I know exactly what I did wrong or right. Especially after asking questions. Shops? You never know what they decide to do and not do. I don't trust them.

Old August 14th, 2016, 11:14 AM   #255
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Quote:
Wait... The rims? What are you talking about the brakes are on the discs not the rims... The tool kit that comes with your bike has what's needed to take the brakes off the discs. I don't know what you are referring to.
I was referring to the rim/edge of the piston if you're trying to pull it out with pliers if you didn't have a tool like this.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-4799-Pist.../dp/B009S4SZ3S

Old August 14th, 2016, 05:32 PM   #256
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/closed

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Closed Thread