ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old September 24th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #241
thomason2wheels
ninjette.org member

Name: tom

Motorcycle(s): dl650

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprayogo View Post
thanks for inviting me
I suggest you try putting back the needle on 3rd position and slip a shim under it-4th position is a bit to rich
Also if you can advanced your timing by 4 degrees , your bike will be moree responsive on the low end, and your bike is gonna pullll all the way to redline, your power curve will move to the right until limiter kicks in.
Great!! try it
Is there a how to for adjusting ignition timing, given that my 09 is practically totally stock, i can feel how retarded the timing is under 5k. Sure would love to fix that.

Old August 2nd, 2015, 08:44 AM   #242
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Thread bump:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsnapper View Post
MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP:
Pulls hard to redline, middle range is great, no choke needed at all to start, but hard to control low end. If I just crack the throttle it pulls too hard, Sparks plugs are black, If I apply choke the bike stalls, I smell gas from the exhaust, Fuel mileage is bad news. Bike is running too rich. Tried adjusting mixture screws, Valves adjustment, carb sync, cleaned carbs. Will trying adjusting needles to 2 clip position from top to make it less rich to see if it fixes my low end,not make my spark plugs black, and fix fuel mileage.
If it pulls hard to redline, it's not the main. If the midrange is good, it's not the needles, but those are in charge with the throttle ranges you typically use for daily use so they are a large influence to your mileage. Personally I don't tune for mileage at all. Still worth a shot at lowering your needle a tad to see if you can lean the mid throttle a tad without hurting rideablity but idk how successful that's going to be. Try using SAE #4 washers to get "half steps" on your needle clip positions and dial it as lean as you can go without taking away mid range smoothness.

As for the mix screws, I'm betting this is part of why you're getting black plugs. Plug checks are really only valid if you're able to cut the engine immediately after operating at the throttle position and rpm range in question. Ergo, if you want to test the mains, you need to hit the kill switch at wot and 11,000+ and immediately pull the plug. As you can see this is not convenient for those of us without dyno access. Anyhow, with no snorkel and a drop in filter, start the mix screws at 2.5 turns and adjust as necessary to get a responsive throttle. Do not change the mix screws significantly to help start up. This is what the choke is for. Needing choke or not needing choke at start up is not a good measure of your bikes health. Choke at start up for a short period is normal and totally fine. To have a smooth start up that helps the engine start easily and warm up quickly, every vehicle I know of has some way to richen the mixture and/or raise the idle while cold. So it's totally fine to use a little choke to start, adjust it back so the bike idles at 2000-2500 rpm or so until the throttle response is normal, then ride off and turn the choke down as you go. If your choke kills the bike instead of raising the idle, I'd bet your mix screws are set too rich. Start at 2.5 turns and go in 1/8 turn increments as needed. If you need less than 2 turns or more than 3, change idle jet sizes to suit.

Remember that idle mixture is in charge for small throttle openings, needles are in charge of the mid range, and the main jet is in charge for large throttle openings. If you can isolate when the bike feels funny, you can figure out which part needs adjusted and do it once and save yourself the hassle of working on the wrong part.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2015, 08:21 PM   #243
redsnapper
ninjette.org member

Name: Red Snapper XXX

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Thank you for your wonderful advice.

I will keep your suggestions in mind.

All the best!
redsnapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2016, 12:31 PM   #244
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

So I have Factory Pro kit, M4 full system. K&N filter and KLEEN delete. I took it for a test ride today before track day tomorrow. I am 112 mains and 3rd clip position. I notice a stumble at 5-6k RPM. would washers on the needle help solve this?
daverdfw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2016, 02:37 PM   #245
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverdfw View Post
So I have Factory Pro kit, M4 full system. K&N filter and KLEEN delete. I took it for a test ride today before track day tomorrow. I am 112 mains and 3rd clip position. I notice a stumble at 5-6k RPM. would washers on the needle help solve this?
Added 1 washer below and 2 above and fixed the issue.
daverdfw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2016, 10:11 AM   #246
UFOmoplata
ninjette.org member

Name: Shoulder Blade

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Hoodrat 250

YEAR: 2009

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: air box removed. K&N R-0990 Filter

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: stock. Kleen air system removed

JET KIT OR STOCK? stock

BRAND OF JET KIT? JetsRus

MAIN JET: stock. ~105?

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: 2 washers

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 3 turns

ELEVATION: 614'

Rumor has it the bike ran before purchase. Hit the carb with cleaner and a toothbrush.

Doesn't like starting without gogo juice/starting fluid.

Bikes idle jumps up to around 5000 upon start-up. Somewhat idles at 1300. Bike seems real touchy with this set-up. Am able to rev it up for a bit.

Unfortunately, the bike is in my basement/cave dwelling so running it for too long stinks up my whole crib.

I'll try to apply a video to this post.

EDIT: Important life lesson learned. NEVER PUT A BIKE INTO GEAR WHEN FRONT BRAKE IS NOT HOOKED UP. Might as well get the noob lay down out of the way.

Was able to get the bike to idle. Set-up seems to be doing okay when sitting still.

Last futzed with by UFOmoplata; April 16th, 2016 at 11:11 AM. Reason: quick update
UFOmoplata is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2016, 12:13 PM   #247
HoneyBadgerRy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFOmoplata View Post
YEAR: 2009

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: air box removed. K&N R-0990 Filter

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: stock. Kleen air system removed

JET KIT OR STOCK? stock

BRAND OF JET KIT? JetsRus

MAIN JET: stock. ~105?

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: 2 washers

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 3 turns

ELEVATION: 614'

Rumor has it the bike ran before purchase. Hit the carb with cleaner and a toothbrush.

Doesn't like starting without gogo juice/starting fluid.

Bikes idle jumps up to around 5000 upon start-up. Somewhat idles at 1300. Bike seems real touchy with this set-up. Am able to rev it up for a bit.

Unfortunately, the bike is in my basement/cave dwelling so running it for too long stinks up my whole crib.

I'll try to apply a video to this post.

EDIT: Important life lesson learned. NEVER PUT A BIKE INTO GEAR WHEN FRONT BRAKE IS NOT HOOKED UP. Might as well get the noob lay down out of the way.

Was able to get the bike to idle. Set-up seems to be doing okay when sitting still.
First off the stock main jet in an 09 is keihn 98, the stock in the pregen was a 105.

Second off, sorry to heard about the drop.

Third off, you can't tell anything about jetting unless the bike is warmed up, so you will probably want to take the bike outside.

And finally, did you run pressurized air and then carb cleaner through all the passageways? If not your carbs are likely dirty and any jetting would just be spinning around in circles.

Old April 17th, 2016, 09:35 PM   #248
redsnapper
ninjette.org member

Stock 98 jets or 105?

Since you removed the airbox, your main jets are too small for the K&N pod filter. Try 108,110, 112.

Your pilot jet might still be clogged, giving you the issues. Did you remove it, and clean with a wire. Very common issue.

Wish you best of luck.

Old April 18th, 2016, 05:33 AM   #249
UFOmoplata
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsnapper View Post
Stock 98 jets or 105?

Since you removed the airbox, your main jets are too small for the K&N pod filter. Try 108,110, 112.

Your pilot jet might still be clogged, giving you the issues. Did you remove it, and clean with a wire. Very common issue.

Wish you best of luck.
Yes, I've taken the pilot out and cleaned it. Currently having trouble locating main jets.

Old April 18th, 2016, 06:45 AM   #250
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
These guys have everything. Call them up and tell them what jets you need for what carburetor.

http://www.sudco.com/index.html

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2016, 06:51 AM   #251
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
These guys have everything. Call them up and tell them what jets you need for what carburetor.

http://www.sudco.com/index.html
Or if like me you hate phones and prefer to order online. jetsRus has almost everything sudco has.

Old April 18th, 2016, 08:23 AM   #252
UFOmoplata
ninjette.org member

I should clarify. I have 108 main jets from JetsRus, just can't locate them on the carbs themselves.

Old April 18th, 2016, 08:25 AM   #253
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFOmoplata View Post
I should clarify. I have 108 main jets from JetsRus, just can't locate them on the carbs themselves.
Take the carbs and turn them upside down. Take the fuel bowls off. (4 screws one on each corner per bowl) Then you will see a round main jet screwed into a fuel atomizer tube screwed into the carb. Hold the tube with a 8mm wrench and unscrew the main jet with a large flathead.

Old May 11th, 2016, 10:11 PM   #254
redsnapper
ninjette.org member

Eating fuel, should I switch to a smaller K&N Filter?

I'm running 120 Main jet with no issues, and feel I can go even higher.

I have the 6 Inch Uni Pod filters, but it seems to be using a ton of fuel.
Wondering if it's worth switching to the smaller K&N R-0990, would it give me the same power and save me fuel?

Most people I've read are using 110/112 Keihin Main Jets with the K&N filter.

How's my specs;

Testing at +15C/59F to 20C/68F

YEAR: 2009 250R

INTAKE MODIFICATIONS: Kleen air delete. Uni filter Dual Foam 6 inch UP6200ST with PVC pipe as intake runner. The Pod filters are about 1 inch away from the battery box. I wanted to make sure the back of the pod filter airflow was not blocked by the battery box. The bracket back/under the gas tank with the four bolts, I had to grind down, because it had tabs for the old airbox, and was pinching my 6 inch pod filters

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS: Stock

JET KIT: Dyno Jet

BRAND OF JET KIT: Dyno Jet Stage 3 #2393

MAIN JET:
DJ114/Keihin 120

PILOT JET: Stock #40

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: 3 1/3 DJ needles with clips at the 3 position with 3 washers on top, and 1 washer under clip, which would make it needle position 3 1/3. Previously had it on 4th position but when it got warmer mid range bogged..

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 1.25 turns out.

ELEVATION: 75-646 feet.

Temperature: +15C/59F to 20C/68F

MISCELLANESOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP:
Installed block off plate, Removed Air injection into exhaust to get rid of backfiring.

Had DJ112/Keihin 117 and Plugs were white at WOT. Switch to DJ114/Keihin 120 Main jet and #40 Pilot Jet. Bike pulls a tiny bit harder than previous. Might Try A DJ116/Keihin 122.5 to see what happens.

Old May 14th, 2016, 11:16 PM   #255
redsnapper
ninjette.org member

Think I figured it out.

Bike was weaker and not too great at 25C/77F with a DJ114/Keihin 120 jet
Running rich. Bike was happier with a DJ112/Keihin 117 going to have to reduce my mainjet back down 1 size.

Old September 26th, 2017, 12:52 AM   #256
FishaRneked
ninjette.org member

Name: your name

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninjer 250, 2002 TL1000R, 2009 Concourse14, 2009 ZX6, 2006 SV650

Do these numbers from this off brand match up?

https://www.amazon.com/QUIOSS-Carbur...N+CVK+30&psc=1
FishaRneked is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2017, 04:48 AM   #257
redsnapper
ninjette.org member

The numbers match, but the picture is wrong.

The kit could be for another type of carb but not the Ninja 250.

See the picture I posted but ignore the the collar in it, since your carb already has it.