ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 12th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #81
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

yeah, i was thinking the same thing. although a little black paint might make it look like new again....

Old February 12th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #82
kkim

true, but if I can grind the clipon instead, that may be the better/cleaner option. I'll need to take a closer look if I decide I need to bring the bars back a bit. Again, thanks for sharing the idea.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #83
kkim

Adjusted the clipons a bit tonight. Moved the bars in about 1/4-3/8" on each side and dropped the forks in the triple clamps. How much did I drop? I put the stock handlebars back on the top and dropped the forks till it bottomed against the underside of the stock handlebar brackets. The amount of the forks you see sticking out past top of the triple clamp is the max on can get with stock bars.

I had been noticing since I raised the forks as much as I could, the bike seemed to turn too slow for me and at night the headlight was pointed way too high into the cars in front of me. To cure both problems, I dropped the front back down a bit.

Old February 20th, 2009, 03:45 AM   #84
Beast
Pure Imagination

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 08' 250r, '07 Vespa LX150 (it counts right?)

Hey Kelly, I know you kept your stock grips because you like them (as do I) but I was wondering what other options we have to use and if an "upgrade" actually makes a difference. Jon, what are you using on your current setup?

Old February 20th, 2009, 03:54 AM   #85
kkim

I find grips are a very personal preference type of deal. For me, I like thin, small grips due to the size of my hands and the stock grips feel okay to me, plus they are relatively grippy. I'm sure there are better grips out there... I'm just not eager enough to go out trying to fix what ain't broke. If you run across something better than what you feel the stock grips are, please share. I'm all ears.

Old February 20th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #86
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Excellent work, Kelly. You are getting even better (if that's possible) at putting together these DIYs. The pictures are fantastic. It must add hours to the task to stop what you're doing to take all these pictures and your efforts are much appreciated.
I'm glad to see that Eric Woodcraft finally figured it all out. The clip-ons look great. I know he had a devil of a time with the weird angle Kawasaki used for the bar mounts. I hope enough riders buy these to make it worth his time and trouble. He was certainly conflicted about making these things for the 250R because he thought the difference would be negligable, so it really surprises me he got so much of a change in ergonomics considering what he had to work with. The man is truly an artist and we're lucky he directs his talents to things that make our riding experiences better.
I didn't really have an interest in adding clip-ons to my Ninja, but after reading your ride reviews I may have to reconsider. If it lengthens the reach and makes the cockpit bigger as a result it would be just the thing for 6' riders with long arms like me (I'll bet the Duck will be all over these).
Thanks for another great effort!
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #87
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

The Real Reason we have Clip-Ons for the 250r

http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread...s for the 250r
Mad Props to cajuntlr over at KF
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #88
KJohnson21
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBikeRentals View Post
Very nice DIY KK (as usual). Wish I would have gotten ahold of you before you bought them... I have them for $159 on my site

http://store.racebikerentals.com/mer...tore_Code=0001

(Alex, please forgive me. The store is new and I thought your constituency would appreciate the killer deal)
Richard,

Do you have any plans to get lever kits?

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #89
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXTrek View Post
Actually, Steve, that's not entirely true, either. While cajuntlr had a hand in finally delivering them, the whole process to get Woodcraft interested in even making these has to be credited to Purspeed and Truefaith. http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=106663

So, as long as madprops were being handed out, I wanted to be sure all people deserving of receiving credit for this effort were recognized and to set the story straight.

Old February 20th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #90
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohnson21 View Post
Richard,

Do you have any plans to get lever kits?

Thanks for asking, but I don't think so.

Old February 20th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #91
kkim

Hey, Richard... why don't you start a thread announcing the opening of your store in the classifieds so everyone can ask questions there. Your answers to questions like these are gonna get lost, scattered in other threads such as these.

You're welcome to stay in here, but I'm trying to get the word out on your store.

BTW, any plans to hook up with a shock company or a fork kit? I hear Lindemann revalves the stock shock for a low cost approach.

Old February 20th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #92
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Actually, Steve, that's not entirely true, either. While cajuntlr had a hand in finally delivering them, the whole process to get Woodcraft interested in even making these has to be credited to Purspeed and Truefaith. http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=106663

So, as long as madprops were being handed out, I wanted to be sure all people deserving of receiving credit for this effort were recognized and to set the story straight.
I'm getting Old !!! I didn't remember them and i even posted there.
I do know for the pre 08 250's and all the 500's woodcraft puts the bars on top of the tree and cajuntlr showed you could go lower under the tree.
BUT anyway...THANKS TO ALL THAT HELP IMPROVE OUR NINJA
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #93
kkim

I agree... the aftermarket support network for this bike grows daily. I'm glad we are in a position to reap the benefits of companies like woodcraft and area P who go the extra mile to insure quality products are delivered. In woodcraft's case, it took awhile and some prodding by a number of good people, but they finally came through with a kit.

good times!

Old February 20th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #94
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Nice write up Kelly. Do you notice more weight on your wrists?
I don't think could handle it if so. My wrists are toast.
Good picts also. Nice and clear. Thanks for taking the time.

Old February 21st, 2009, 12:38 AM   #95
kkim

Starla,

I think for shorter riders than me (5'7"), the clip ons would make the reach across the tank a deal breaker. With all the jiggling and repositioning I've done, I've just got it to a place where it is tolerable on street rides. The trade off, of course, is that the bike steers and handles better in the twisting with this positioning.

It definitely places more weight on the wrists as you are pulled forward with the new position and the weight bias shifts forward as well, placing more of your body weight on your arms than the stock positioning.

The bike is also harder to handle at very slow speeds compared to stock.

Old February 21st, 2009, 02:08 AM   #96
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Bless you , I just saved some money

Old February 21st, 2009, 09:53 AM   #97
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Quote:
Starla,

I think for shorter riders than me (5'7"), the clip ons would make the reach across the tank a deal breaker. With all the jiggling and repositioning I've done, I've just got it to a place where it is tolerable on street rides. The trade off, of course, is that the bike steers and handles better in the twisting with this positioning.

It definitely places more weight on the wrists as you are pulled forward with the new position and the weight bias shifts forward as well, placing more of your body weight on your arms than the stock positioning.

Isn't it more comfortable when you're at speed and the wind is taking some of that weight off your arms though? A bike that pitches you forward onto the bars usually feels great once you're up to cruisin' speed.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2009, 12:09 PM   #98
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

Quote:
Hey, Richard... why don't you start a thread announcing the opening of your store in the classifieds so everyone can ask questions there. Your answers to questions like these are gonna get lost, scattered in other threads such as these.

You're welcome to stay in here, but I'm trying to get the word out on your store.

BTW, any plans to hook up with a shock company or a fork kit? I hear Lindemann revalves the stock shock for a low cost approach.
Good idea... I hate to muck up these great DIY threads. Not sure about suspension.... we still have no idea what the best setup is with these things.

Old February 21st, 2009, 08:15 PM   #99
CaptG0me3zy
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Dom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Starla,

Finally the skies cleared and I took the Ninja to school today. I rode about 30 min and my wrists were killing me. This was the longest I have ridden with the new clip ons. Just gotta use my abs to keep the weight off the wrists. Def. getting a six pack after ridding some more.
CaptG0me3zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2009, 08:18 PM   #100
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptG0me3zy View Post
Finally the skies cleared and I took the Ninja to school today. I rode about 30 min and my wrists were killing me. This was the longest I have ridden with the new clip ons. Just gotta use my abs to keep the weight off the wrists. Def. getting a six pack after ridding some more.
just curious... how tall are you?

Old February 21st, 2009, 11:42 PM   #101
CaptG0me3zy
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Dom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

I am 5'7
CaptG0me3zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2009, 11:46 PM   #102
kkim

have you tried small adjustments to the bars? I've got it so that it's tolerable on the street at this time.

Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:15 AM   #103
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

its just the ergos - your back and stomach will get there. my 6R used to kill me and now its getting more and more tolerable
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2009, 05:24 PM   #104
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBikeRentals View Post
... I hate to muck up these great DIY threads.
I have no problem with you "mucking up" any of my DIYs.

I was thinking more along the lines that if there were a central thread that people could see what you have to offer, both you and the members would benefit. Not all forum members read these DIYs and they might miss out on some of the great things in your new store!

Old February 24th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #105
Shift250R
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

I went ahead and put the sv clipons that cajuntlr came up with but I think im going to switch to woodcrafts for safety reasons. I only want to know if the bars can be pulled back as far as the originals with out touching the tank. Mine hit.
Shift250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #106
ak_907_ak
ninjette.org member

Name: Nico

Just got my WC Clip-Ons installed. It's a pretty tight fit, but it will clear.
Now i gotta wait till summer to test ride it!

Old February 24th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #107
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift250R View Post
I went ahead and put the sv clipons that cajuntlr came up with but I think im going to switch to woodcrafts for safety reasons. I only want to know if the bars can be pulled back as far as the originals with out touching the tank. Mine hit.
What do you mean "pulled back as far as the originals"? The WC will never pull back that far. If installed as they are designed, they clear both the tank and the front fairing at full lock to lock.

Old February 24th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #108
Shift250R
ninjette.org member

I mean after they are on if you put the originals back on and you view them from directly above are they the same angle. Sorry i guess its hard to explain.

Old February 24th, 2009, 11:15 PM   #109
kkim

you mean like this??

Old February 24th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #110
Shift250R
ninjette.org member

ya sorry over looked that one. thats what I meant. I thought they looked more foward (the angle) in the final pics. thanks kelly

Old February 24th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #111
kkim

NP... as I stated in the subsequent posts, they do have a bit of adjustability to them and I was able to find a setting that I can live with on the street.

How tall are you? I can't see anyone shorter than me (5'7") having a comfortable time with these, but if they are shorter and have long arms, it could work.

Old February 25th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #112
Shift250R
ninjette.org member

im 5'10" with long arms lol so im trying to look smaller...im real comfortable with the suzuki clips as far as height and stretch but I dont like the contact with body. And im also afraid of them failing on me as their "custom fit".

Old February 25th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #113
kkim

WC did an excellent job of placing the clipons. Properly adjusted, they do not hit anything, but it can be tight for the hands at full lock, but then it's not very often you're at full lock, anyway.

Old February 25th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #114
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
Hey Kelly, I know you kept your stock grips because you like them (as do I) but I was wondering what other options we have to use and if an "upgrade" actually makes a difference. Jon, what are you using on your current setup?
i'm not sure what we have on ours. grips isn't something i've payed a lot of attention to on the race bikes.

Old February 26th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #115
ak_907_ak
ninjette.org member

Name: Nico

did you guys have to adjust the throttle cables after the install? mine are all loose and one can turn it forward past where it would stop on idle.

Old February 26th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #116
kkim

take the switch housing back apart and double check where the cables go back into the throttle housing. make sure everything is back together correctly, especially the "pull" throttle cable.

Old February 26th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #117
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

I re-clocked mine so the engine kill switch is on top of the housing. I originally also re-routed my throttle cables so they didn't go in front of the frame as well. Otherwise with the housing I was having probs with the throttle cables hitting the fairing on right hand slow-speed turns. The nice thing about clip-ons is it's wicked easy to adjust this as the bar rotates.

It takes a while to get the bars set just right so everything clears and all.
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #118
jeffwessel
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 250

I'll be installing my clipons in the morning finally. Any tips/suggestions on what adjustments you made to make it more comfortable for street riding? Were you just rotating the bars around the forks closer to you to make it more comfortable, or what?

Thanks for the great write up!
jeffwessel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2009, 11:33 PM   #119
kkim

Jeff,

I did 3 things to make the bars more comfortable for me.

1- I slid the clipon brackets around the fork tubes as high as they can go so they sit flush with the bottom of the top portion of the triple clamp.

2- I slid the clipon tubes out as far as they can go so the are they widest possible. In doing that, the controls angle back towards you more.

3- When I slid the brackets up on the forks, I also rotated the clipon bracket back so they hit the triple clamp on the outside portion. You have a few degrees of adjustment... I adjusted them max toward the rear as I could.

After doing these 3 things, the clipons were acceptable for street riding to me.

I have since readjusted the tubes in a bit so they are not as wide. Right now, I have them adjusted so it is the best fit for me.

My advice is to play with the clipon positions once you have them installed and ride the bike, then go back and make the corrections you need to make them workable. Small adjustments make a big difference in how the clipons make the bike feel... you'll be surprised.

GL...

Old March 6th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #120
jeffwessel
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 250

Well I got them installed this morning and was going to South Mountain
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=33...4.0.2722&hl=en

It was about a 15 mile ride from my house, overall I liked the feel of the clipons. I felt more relaxed and spaced out. As soon as I got to the twisties, however, I was going through a turn and my bike suddenly died... And I had no idea why, and then I realized that my kick stand came down! The springs on the kick stand ending up coming off. Could have been a very bad experience, and I am lucky I didn't wreck. Needless to say I spent a while trying to find the spring, but couldn't. Luckily, I had my backpack and I was able to take a nylon cord off of it and tie the kickstand up to come back home. So unfortunately I did not get the full experience of the twisties today, but I will definitely tomorrow.

It's really weird too. I installed woodcraft rear sets on monday, and have been riding it every day since then and have never had any problems with my foot getting caught on the spring on the kickstand, or any part down there by the shifter. But today for whatever reason, every time I upshifted I kept catching it. So I am assuming that is how the spring came off. I don't see how the clipons would affect this considering they have nothing to do with your feet, but that is the only thing I changed today...
jeffwessel is offline   Reply With Quote