ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 16th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #81
Angel-be-Good
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '11 Street Triple R

I've changed twice with the Kawi filter and Redline 10W-40 full synthetic. If I knew NAPA filters came with the o-rings, I'd've bought there instead (will next time!).

What's the benefit of a 5W-40 instead of the Kawasaki recommended 10-40? Wouldn't mind having more options when I buy...

Old February 16th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #82
kkim

5w-40 will flow better at lower ambient startup temps.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #83
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

changed oil & filter yesterday, made the switch to synthetic Rotella 5w - 40 with a kawasaki filter the previous owner gave me. didn't change o-rings this time (didn't have any actually..), and all seems to have gone alright.

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #84
Suey250
Da Peon

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Using Castrol 10w40 at first with Fram filters, but now using Castrol with K&N filters. After this thread I'm going to definitely check out this Rotella synthetic oil once I get closer to 3,500 miles.
Suey250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #85
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

I'll be using Rotella T conventional 15w40 with K&N filters during break-in and probably switch to Rotella T synthetic 5w40 after.

I have also tried Castrol Motorcycle 10w40 in the 06 and it runs just fine... but new bike deserves extra attention
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #86
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

QUESTIONS:

How do you change to full synthetic/Part synthetic? Any loops I have to jump through or any special procedures.

If I do change to synthetic, do you think the kawi/k&n filters will be sufficient?

Also, the dealership gave me crap about the crush washer. Thoughts about that? They said there is a certain metal inside of it that is only good for one "crush" but I do not buy that **** at all. (I previously did get the crush washer, and saw on the receipt they charged me $5.00 for that POS.) I know that the FRAMs from walmart come with a crush washer and thinking about getting that.
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2009, 12:21 AM   #87
kkim

changing to synthetic or part synthetic takes no special procedure, just change the oil. I would not suggest changing to synthetic until at least 1000 miles.

Personally, I would use any of the filters listed in the oil change DIY except Fram.

no oil filters that I know of come with crush washers... you are mixing them up the o-rings for the filters.

Crush washers are indeed a one time use item. $5 for on is ridiculous. Get new crush washers from any auto parts store. Just take the old one with you and match it up with what's available there.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 02:12 PM   #88
xTKx
Finally!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 09 Red 250R

Changed the oil a while back ago just over 100mi. using kawi 10-40 oil and a carquest oil filter (came with all new o-rings). Didn't see any metal shavings and the oil was still a nice amber color.
Plan to change again around 400mi. before the bike goes in for it's first maintenance service where they'll give me another oil change for free.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:02 PM   #89
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250R

changing to Rotella in 200 miles and one of the filters listed on the "other" site.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:06 PM   #90
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sometimesido View Post
changing to Rotella in 200 miles and one of the filters listed on the "other" site.
filters are listed on this site, too.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:15 PM   #91
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

hehe. just so used to the faq page.
and this I just found.

link

Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:22 PM   #92
kkim

lol... Alex gets a rash every time someone mentions that site and there he is linking to it.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:03 PM   #93
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:20 PM   #94
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Alex gets a rash every time someone mentions that site
True, but I found a great cream for that...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:03 AM   #95
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
True, but I found a great cream for that...
ew... I'm not even going to ask.

Old April 3rd, 2009, 02:59 AM   #96
Blue Ninja 250R
ninjette.org member

Name: Stanley

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2008

One of the mechanic here advice that not to use fully shythetic on bike as it's good for the engine but not the gear. any comment? (I've changed to fully shythetic at 2000km anyway). BTW, how offen you change the oil for :-
1) Fully synthetic - ???KM or miles
2) Semi synthetic - ??? KM or miles
3) water base/non synthetic - ??? km or miles.
Blue Ninja 250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:52 AM   #97
kkim

I've not had any clutch slippage problems since switching to a full synthetic at 1000 miles and now have a little over 2500. As far as gear changes, my shifting seems to have gotten smoother, though I have no statistical/analytical data to prove less pressure is needed by my foot to engage my next gear.

Oil change frequency is a matter of debate and left mostly up to the owner. As long as you change it as often as recommended by the maintenance schedule, you should do no harm the engine and changing it more frequently might prove beneficial. I plan to change my oil every 3-5k miles now that my motor is fully broken in and I'm running a full synthetic.

Old April 8th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #98
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

I run Fram filter and Mobil 1 Synt got it all at AutoZone. I changed to Synth at 3000 miles and will change it again this winter or at 6000 miles. FYI I have 4 used filters for sale and 7 quarts of used oil.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #99
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
U use the Kawi filter and Mobil 1 full synthetic 10W-40 motorcycle oil
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2009, 12:55 AM   #100
kkim

Old May 20th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #101
smcbride11
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Actually, even the Ninja 250 manual states that you can use automotive oil although I wouldn't want to try it with a wet clutch that has enough problems shifting with motorcycle-specific formulations. The clutch really needs a thicker oil like Rotella.
I've got automotive Quaker State 10w-40 and a WIX filter at the moment, based on the manual and a few other sites I saw online... I figured that worst case it'll be in there for about 500 miles until I switch to Rotella-T, and that's not going to cause any lasting harm.

Anecdotally, I've noticed improved cold starting and easier shifting since I got off the Kawi oil. The cold starts (under 50* F) may be more related to break in than oil, but I'm sure the shifting is oil related as it improved immediately - I very, very rarely catch the gear 1.5 false neutral anymore and I used to grab it all the time even with a hard kick upward on shift.
smcbride11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #102
IlBLisSlI
i'm a cow killer

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250r

i just use the kawi filter with synthetic aimsoil 10w-40
its what my local shop keeps in stock

its always funny though to hear them ask "you are aware this oil is 10 dollars a bottle right...?"
who the hell makes a big deal out of spending 20 dollars for an oil change? hell it costs 60 or so to change the oil in my small car, so when i see 20 dollars for an oil change i feel like doing an Irish jig!
IlBLisSlI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #103
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Name: Katlyn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
Right now I'm using Castrol 10w-40 and a K&N filter.
I am using the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlBLisSlI View Post
its always funny though to hear them ask "you are aware this oil is 10 dollars a bottle right...?" who the hell makes a big deal out of spending 20 dollars for an oil change? hell it costs 60 or so to change the oil in my small car, so when i see 20 dollars for an oil change i feel like doing an Irish jig!
I got that the last time I went and got oil for the Spyder. Of course I have to buy 4 quarts for that. Costs me about $75 to do an oil and filter change in the Spyder and about $35 in the Ninja.

Old May 20th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #104
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Name: Yancy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

I'm currently running Mobil 1 synth with a K&N filter. I'm planning on switching to Rotella on the next change.

When switching to synth, the only thing you have to worry about is switching too soon.

The issue has to do with the clutch plates, not the gears or engine. If the clutch plates are not worn in enough when you switch to synth, then the plates won't catch when you release the clutch. This happens because the molecules in synth oil are more "uniform and slippery"... If you're on a dry clutch bike, then I'd switch at the first change. My 250 got switched at about 3500 miles.
beowuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2009, 06:04 AM   #105
chess
Ninjette Afficionado!

Name: chess

Motorcycle(s): Red...the sexiest color.

Still in the break in period. Oil changes at 300 and 600. Using 10W-40 Quaker State (cheapest name brand at Wal-Mart) and Fram filters (O'reilly's hasn't been terribly reliable about having the Wix). I figure with oil changes at very short intervals, neither the oil nor the filter have much time to break down.

The next change will be at about 1200, and it should be my last with conventional oil...and I was thinking about a small dose of Restore to make sure I have a good seal around the rings.

At 2000 or so, I'll go full synthetic (will check out Rotella) and I finally got a couple of Wix filters.
chess is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2009, 08:18 AM   #106
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

I've been reading through here and I was curious about something. Are you guys using standard automotive oil or motorcycle specific oil?? I use motorcycle specific oil as I hear that automotive oil had detergents in it that is not good for motorcycles. I have heard this from more than one person.

Old May 21st, 2009, 01:21 PM   #107
kkim

I've been using regular car oil, but with a caveat.
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Which_o...NOT_be_used%3F

Old May 21st, 2009, 01:28 PM   #108
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Quote:
I've been using regular car oil, but with a caveat.
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Which_o...NOT_be_used%3F
Ah yes, the deal with having a wet clutch and using that energy conserving stuff... the Spyder is exactly the same way. I'm going to just stick with the MC oil, I feel safer that way.... even though that automotive oil is cheaper.

Any issues with me using a part synthetic during my break-in period?? I bought the 5w40 part synthetic for my first oil change.

Old May 21st, 2009, 01:34 PM   #109
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
Any issues with me using a part synthetic during my break-in period??
It's my understanding that the issue with synthetic is that your clutch plates may take longer to wear in. This could mean loss of power early on. Even with synthetic, the plates should EVENTUALLY wear in. Dino oil is usually used during break in to make sure they wear together in a timely manner.

I have, however, heard rumors that all Ducatis, even wet clutches, ship with synthetic. So, I don't know how true any of this is...

The best idea is to read up on oil and make a best guess...

Old May 21st, 2009, 01:40 PM   #110
kkim

You should be okay, but my recommendation would be to use a full conventional oil until the break in period is over. There is no telling how much synthetic is in that blend and it might cause you some ring seating problems. Now (the break in period) is the time you want to be sure your engine rings seat well against the cylinder walls.

Lots of high load (on/off throttle) applications (rev at least to 9k), lots of heat cycles (short trips) and frequent oil/filter changes.

Old May 21st, 2009, 01:42 PM   #111
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Quote:
You should be okay, but my recommendation would be to use a full conventional oil until the break in period is over. There is no telling how much synthetic is in that blend and it might cause you some ring seating problems. Now (the break in period) is the time you want to be sure your engine rings seat well against the cylinder walls.

Lots of high load (on/off throttle) applications (rev at least to 9k), lots of heat cycles (short trips) and frequent oil/filter changes.
Okie. Thanks. I'll just take it back or maybe just hold onto it for one of the next oil changes. At the time I was in a hurry and that's what they had sitting out that was easiest to get to.

Old May 21st, 2009, 01:49 PM   #112
kkim

yeah, save it for the first oil change after the break in period is over. The conventional should be rather cheap to pick up, so it's not like it's a great financial drain, especially if you use regular car oil.

Old May 21st, 2009, 01:54 PM   #113
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Quote:
yeah, save it for the first oil change after the break in period is over. The conventional should be rather cheap to pick up, so it's not like it's a great financial drain, especially if you use regular car oil.
Yeah, no problem. I'll stop by Auto Zone on the way home and pick some up. I don't want to take any chances. I'll save the part syth oil until like my 4th oil change.... I plan on doing it every 400 - 500 miles until I hit around 3K. I think by the time I get up close to 2K it won't hurt to use part synthetic then go to full synthetic after 3K. What do you think?

Old May 21st, 2009, 02:08 PM   #114
kkim

Quote:
Yeah, no problem. I'll stop by Auto Zone on the way home and pick some up. I don't want to take any chances. I'll save the part syth oil until like my 4th oil change.... I plan on doing it every 400 - 500 miles until I hit around 3K. I think by the time I get up close to 2K it won't hurt to use part synthetic then go to full synthetic after 3K. What do you think?
Yep, I went to a full synthetic at 1K and have had no problems, so you using the blend anytime after 1K sounds like a good plan.

Old May 21st, 2009, 02:14 PM   #115
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Excellent. Thanks.

Old May 21st, 2009, 02:15 PM   #116
chess
Ninjette Afficionado!

Quote:
I think that you're OK by 1K.

At 1000 miles, assuming an average speed of 50MPH, you've ridden 20 hours or 1200 minutes. Assuming you average 6000 RPMs for that 1200 minutes, each piston has cycled 7.2 million times at 1000 miles.

The above is just for arguments sake, and you could vary a few million either way depending on how softly you break her in, but if the rings haven't seated by 1000 miles, they're not going to.

Just saying.

Old May 21st, 2009, 02:18 PM   #117
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

But if the train was going 35 mph when it left heading due west 28 minutes ago, when would it pass the Albuquerque-bound express?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2009, 02:22 PM   #118
chess
Ninjette Afficionado!

Old May 21st, 2009, 02:22 PM   #119
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chess View Post
7.2 million times
This is why break in is arguably more important for the clutch plates then the engine. 90% of the engine break in is already done by the engine manufacturer and the mechanic at the bike shop. Both test the engine with high RPM's before they sell the bike. Gotta make sure it starts up

Just sayin :P

Old May 21st, 2009, 02:27 PM   #120
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

Quote:
I've not had any clutch slippage problems since switching to a full synthetic at 1000 miles and now have a little over 2500. As far as gear changes, my shifting seems to have gotten smoother, though I have no statistical/analytical data to prove less pressure is needed by my foot to engage my next gear.
yes, this was the first thing i noticed when i switched over to shell synthetic 5w-40 (with 401 K&N oil filter) about 200 miles ago.
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote