ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old February 11th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #41
devinjc
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 205 Black

Great next time it's dry Alex has put me up to decelerating from 50-40 with no hands on the bars. Thanks!

I have a stupid habit of going hands free while slowing down too often and have never noticed any kind of wobble. Steady as she goes, unless I'm driving with the pegs.
devinjc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #42
kkim

cool... when will that be??
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #43
devinjc
ninjette.org member

Well, it was hailing last time I looks outside so not today! I'm not overly excited about the ride home, hands on or off.

Old February 11th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #44
kkim

hailing??? exactly where are you located?

be safe on the ride home.

Old February 11th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #45
devinjc
ninjette.org member

Sacramento, CA and it's screwed up winter weather. Thank god my rain pants are at home and my wife stole my warm & waterproof gloves for her commute!

Old February 11th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #46
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

no wobble but....

I got a squeek, I think it is coming from the front end, but I don't want to get this thread off topic. I rode mine in to a Appt and just did the hands off thing to see if I had a wobble, none that I could feel.

nb

Old February 11th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #47
kkim

NB,

thanks for the input

squeak= http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ghlight=squeak

Old February 12th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #48
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Hey Kelly, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but what do you have your rear shock preload set at? If it's set way too high it can induce a tank slapper, so maybe you just have it set a little too high? Don't forget that you're probably changing the weight distribution on the wheels if you're using rearsets. If you haven't adjusted the preload since you installed them maybe you should check it. Drop it down a notch and see if it handles any better.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #49
kkim

Thanks TF... I'll keep that in mind. The shock is presently set on 2. (one up from the softest) I have a few other things to try out as well, so I hope one of these will lessen the problem to an acceptable degree.

Old February 12th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #50
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

I don't believe the pre-load setting alone will cause a wobble. In a straight line on a relatively flat and level road, the suspension isn't even doing much at all, so the relative stiffness of the shock doesn't come in to play. It's only if the pre-load setting jacks the rear end of the bike up, affecting the front-end geometry. Going from 1 to 2 on the rear isn't going to move it much at all, unless you're < 100 pounds.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #51
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Going from 1 to 2 on the rear isn't going to move it much at all, unless you're < 100 pounds.
nope, don't have that problem.

Old February 12th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #52
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

No answers here, but to add, my 09 with about 1200 miles doesn't wobble. Figured i'd throw my 2 cents in.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #53
kkim

even when you take your hands off the bars at 50mph?

Old February 12th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #54
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Yes sir. 50 mph. Deacceleration, slight turning. Straight as an arrow. I haven't done anything with any of the wheels except check chain tension. It was fine, so the rear wheel stayed where it was. When my chain needs retensioned I'll get back to you.

Old February 12th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #55
kkim

thank you for your input.

Old February 12th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #56
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/moving to tech talk

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old February 12th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #57
Alex
ninjette.org dude

On our 2004, it happened for me like clockwork. Yet when one of the dealership folks tried exactly what I asked them to do, it barely wobbled. The first dealership person on the bike was a tiny little dude. After a second visit, they had someone with a little more, well, mass try the same test, and the same bike wobbled exactly like I said it would. So it certainly may be load-dependent; and I'd imagine that would affect how much weight is toward the back of the bike when your arms are off the bars and you're leaning back.

So CB, if it doesn't wobble at all for you, take that as a personal compliment as well as your bike's.

Old February 13th, 2009, 06:38 AM   #58
camaroz1985
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

I tried it this morning on mine. I have no wobble at all.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2009, 07:00 AM   #59
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Well, I will say when I took my hands off I was still leaning forward. I actually put my bike on race kart scales to get the weight distribution with rider on and rider off. It was 49/51 for both. That's with me in the riding position. I weigh 165lbs and am 5'4". I don't know ya'll dimensions but maybe that will help.

Old February 17th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #60
devinjc
ninjette.org member

Ok, so I went and did it in the rain anyway... stupid weather.

First attempt: Nothing 50 down to 40, rock steady. I had just shifted up though and so RPMs were kinda low. Just throwing that out there.

2nd attempt: Is that a wiggle? Might have been a wiggle... ****, I'm focusing on the bars and my weight is shifted and the bike is turning... wtf is that car doing? Why in hell am I doing internet experiments in the rain during rush hour? Definitely wouldn't have described it as a wobble.

I'm about 140-150lbs if we're data gathering. Shock setting 2. Pressure in tires probably down 1-2 psi since I'm slack and haven't checked lately.

3rd attempt: I was on my wife's 250cc scooter... OMFG, do not let go of the bars on a scooter!!!!! Seriously. That was most surprising. Slapslapslapslap.

Couple of asides: Gah, I knew this wasn't originally in Tech!

and Woot, raining like mad again and I brought the gloves.... and the pants are still at home b/c it never rains on the way to work.

Old February 17th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #61
kkim

James. Thanks for your input... I think. Ride safe, man. I wouldn't want to be the cause of some one's crash just cause I'm having a problem.

Old February 18th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #62
devinjc
ninjette.org member

Oh I'm exaggerating. Except for the scooter bit. Seriously, don't do that.

Nice and sunny on the way in today, 3 tests, if there is any kind of consistent wobble it's very slight and hard to spot.

Old February 18th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #63
kkim

Thank you, sir, for your feedback.

Old February 18th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #64
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinjc View Post
Nice and sunny on the way in today, 3 tests, if there is any kind of consistent wobble it's very slight and hard to spot.
Not sure if Alex experiences the same, but my wobble is definitely noticeable. Though the weight theory is kinda shot, cause I only weigh 135lbs

Then again, my bike's a little skewed - being 2006 with lowering links.
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #65
darkknight49
ninjette.org member

Name: Faiyaz

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohnson21 View Post
Ohhh... Yes. The stock handlebars have weights and the Woodcraft do not, right? That could certainly contribute to the problem. The weights would have a damper effect.
Some tall skyscrapers have a giant weight in the top fifth or so of the building. It's free swinging like a pendulum and it will counteract any sway in the building because of it's inertia. The same thing goes with the bar ends but just a much smaller scale. They counter the small vibrations and ocillations.

That being said, there is probably more to the wobble than that. I haven't noticed any wobble on my 08 unless i induce it.

Old February 18th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #66
kkim

yep, and that's why I sorta cross posted this problem over in the DIY on installing the clipons hoping those with clipons might respond if they are noticing increased oscillations since switching. Then again, most people don't ride with both hands off the bars to begin with.

Old February 18th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #67
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Kelly, My bike did the oscillation trip as well. I initially suspected a fork oil issue. My Norton was fussy that way. Took the bike to my friend who works on Ducati and other sportbikes. He told me not to trust the wheel alignment hash marks on the swingarms--his view is that they are reference marks that will sort of be in the area. He says that the only way to get a proper alignment is with a straight edge across the sprockets. Once he aligned my bike in this fashion, the oscillations stopped. Those marks are not precise. Properly aligned sprockets will insure a quieter ride and better chain longevity. Hopethat helps.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #68
kkim

Thanks, Alex. That's been one of my suspicions also and have ordered a motion pro alignment tool to insure a precise rear wheel alignment in the future. Right now, I am using the threads on the rear adjusting bolts as my guide and I have them pretty much equal, but who really knows? If it's worth anything, I'm not seeing abnormal wear patterns on either the front or rear tire.

Thanks for confirming that a misaligned rear wheel can induce these wobbles as I've suspected from the start.

Old February 18th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #69
Sailariel

Kelly, once you get the whole thing aligned, borrow some of the GF`s nail polish and paint the threads. This will allow a visual on a regular basis. I have a stainless yardstick that I use for the alignement. She has green nail polish--I`m sure.

Old February 18th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #70
kkim

Alex, thanks for the nail polish tip. I'll just use my own.

Old February 18th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #71
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 '09 Boulevard C50. '08 250r(TOTALED BY DEER)

Wellllll......If you quit hotdogging around

I didn't have any issues on the '08. I am 220lb and have removed both hands momentarily, at all speeds.

I agee with rear wheel alignment though, those hash marks create more harm than good.

Does anyone have a throttle lock?

I would not write this off...just because it happens to "all the other bikes"

Are you sure your balance isn't off

Old February 18th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #72
kkim

I'm not discounting anything at this point. The balance could very well be off, but in my experience with unbalanced tires/wheels, the vibration would increase as the speeds increased and would be a very linear symptom with regards to speed. This happens only when deaccelerating coming back down through 50-40 mph, with hands off the bars. As soon as I put my hands back on, it stops.

Old February 18th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #73
Sailariel

Kelly, What you are describing is exactly what was going on with my bike. I was going in the direction of fork oil until I took the bike to a mechanic everybody around here respects a lot---we even go to his shop even though he chain smokes Marlboros. He got on my bike and took off down the road--came back in five minutes, and solved the problem. He had it fixed in 15 minutes. I hope he gets the Ducati dealership. He is really good. I have honestly not seen a mechanic this good in my entire riding career

Old February 18th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #74
rallyegolf
project29design

Name: Parker

Motorcycle(s): 08' 250R

i can take off my hands and i get wobble, but i always thought it was the road. sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesnt....
rallyegolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #75
kkim

Welcome to the forum, Parker.

Thanks for your input.

Old February 19th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #76
rallyegolf
project29design

Name: Parker

Motorcycle(s): 08' 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Welcome to the forum, Parker.

Thanks for your input.
I will try to contribute more often, I just have been hanging out on the BMW E30 boards lately with a broken down car.

Just to help out a little on this topic : I ride my ninja to work every day, and when I let go of the bars today, I got no wobble, but was on a fresh road. About 40 MPH im guessing.

Got on a different type of pavement a little later on my commute and tried again at the same speed and got a little shake. My personal belief would be a combination of a couple things.
- rear tire alignment
- road conditions
- and maybe weight distribution.
rallyegolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #77
grandmaster
ninjette.org member

Name: Levi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, CR125R

The front end shake your talking about happened to me this morning. I took my hands off to do up my zipper and it happened......about 40 mph. Grabbed onto the bars and it was fine after that. I think the way the road is has to do something with it too, because i have let go of the bars before and nothing happens. I am not to worried about it though....i dont ride to fast with no hands anyway.

And as stated before about the car. In my Jeep it happened to me a few times. It is called DW (death wobble) There are several things that cause it... incorrect suspension geometry, unbalanced tires, bad tie rod ends, tire pressure, ball joints etc. ect. And it is much worse (violent shaking, can barley hold onto the wheel) then what i experienced on my bike.
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2009, 01:55 AM   #78
kkim

Tried a few things to try and get rid of the wobble.

I went back and retorqued my front axle to the spec. I had set it a bit light due to the problems people were having with the squeaky front wheel problem.

I also, dropped the forks in the triple clamps about an inch. I know it seems counterintuitive, but I had read somewhere that raising the forks could cause wobbles, so I tried lowering the forks.

The last thing I did was to go back and realign my rear wheel. It was off and I set it back to dead straight ahead.

With all of these items done, none helped the wobbling problem. At least I know what's not causing it.

Carry on, Garth!!

Old March 7th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #79
c_anglada
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

ok i finally got a chance to ride the bike since i installed the WC clipons and i noticed the bars wobble when i take my hands off the bars. i know when i had the stock bars on it never did this. i also think the stock bars have alot more weight to them which is why the clip ons have that wobble effect to them. i feel if it was an alignment issue or a balance issue you would feel that wobble when riding and not just see it when you let go of the bars.
c_anglada is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #80
kkim

Chris,

We'll see as I've installed the stock bar end weights to my clipons, but have not ridden the bike with them on, yet. Will do so, hopefully, tomorrow.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14281