ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 3rd, 2011, 04:38 PM   #41
Green Streak
Ninjette Owner

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, a puddle of Ninja ZX6

That just looks like it had to be uber painful! Sorry about your accident. Ouch! Were you wearing any protective gear on your legs?

Old May 4th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #42
red
ninjette.org member

Name: DJ

Motorcycle(s): TR7, Trident, SuperIII, BMW, HD, Duc, Vespa, MP3

I put one of these on for fun since they are quite inexpensive. Ordered on 4/24 and arrived today with all the parts.

Observations:
  • Pretty loud (er, sporty) - even with the baffle. Nice sound. But I can't hear the gearbox whine anymore.
  • The hanger is rather "spartan" and the holes need to be drilled out to fit the stock hanger bolt. It weighs nothing so I'll give them a pass on it being cheap - it looks fine when mounted. I believe this is pretty strong stainless steel strap, as I had to drill out the holes a bit for the hanger bolt, it is quite tough.
  • Did I mention it was loud?
  • Seems very well made for the price.
  • IMO the connector diameter is too big to fit the stock exhaust pipe. It will eventually tighten down, requiring waaaay too much torque on the clamp, and eventually bends the clamp bolt. I would have used a sleeve if I had anything that fit. I didn't.
  • Correct shorter springs were supplied. They are pretty cheap plated springs, not what you'd find in an Akra or Yoshi. They work fine.

Hard to beat the price though. Still watching for a full system or nice CF can to come up in classifieds, but this works until then. If loud pipes save lives, then I'm pretty safe.

Last futzed with by red; May 12th, 2011 at 05:43 AM.
red is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2011, 01:44 AM   #43
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Well if you ever want to get rid of it, let me know!

Old May 8th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #44
red
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Well if you ever want to get rid of it, let me know!
Probably will at some point (it's a nice little can, good looks, and makes a sweet sound, but I could go for one a bit quieter).

Any recommendations from the collective on a nice CF look with a lower db?

Old May 10th, 2011, 11:57 PM   #45
CoinSlot
ninjette.org member

Name: Gordo

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
looking forward to seeing your dyno results. my guess is about 30 HP, if yours is typical.

This is with the BRT-TIS installed, but no ignition tuning done. Ran out of time sadly.

Dyno.jpg
CoinSlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2011, 12:11 AM   #46
kkim

that's some pretty good numbers.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #47
infinitethrill
forever a n00b

Name: Billy

Motorcycle(s): 08 ex250J, 78 GL1000, 01 ex250f, 99 VFR800FI

Just got this exhaust installed last night and shimmed the needles with 2 washers earlier today. Absolutely love the sound. Much deeper and smoother sounding, and very nice accelerating at highway speed (stock seemed louder at higher speeds...). Since the shim's were added the low end is definitely there and I am very satisfied. I have not been able to play with this too much but the higher end of the powerband is very slow to accelerate through. Accelerating past 70mph was difficult. I would usually be able to re grip at speed and get an added boost of power where re gripping now does almost nothing. Still fine from 0-60 however. The baffle is installed too. Any ideas?

I pulled the snorkel with the stock pipe but put it back in as the low end was gone. Maybe I need to try pulling it again with the new pipe again to see. I also want to pull the CA emissions stuff (will do that first to see).

I will get a pic up soon too! -
infinitethrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #48
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Honja

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoinSlot View Post
I'm now using the Tyga pipes with this muffler. Great combo but it requires a little bit of modification to fit together.
What kind of mods did it take to fit the can on the Tyga pipes? Im thinking about running the same combo....
Jojah17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2011, 12:56 AM   #49
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitethrill View Post
I pulled the snorkel with the stock pipe but put it back in as the low end was gone. Maybe I need to try pulling it again with the new pipe again to see. I also want to pull the CA emissions stuff (will do that first to see).
Would make sense to pull the snorkel. If you lower restrictions on the out, you must lower restrictions on the in! Otherwise your exhaust is only working as hard as your intake is (for the most part, anyways).
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2011, 03:22 AM   #50
infinitethrill
forever a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
Would make sense to pull the snorkel. If you lower restrictions on the out, you must lower restrictions on the in! Otherwise your exhaust is only working as hard as your intake is (for the most part, anyways).
Pulled the snorkel again. Will go for a test ride tomorrow in daylight. Hopefully it helps the top end.

I will get better pic's up but until then you get this!

Crappy-ish indoor 1st Gen iPhone pic...

This exhaust hanger took almost two hours to install. 90% of the work was making this go on. Looks fine once installed though.

Old May 13th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #51
red
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
I put one of these on for fun since they are quite inexpensive. Ordered on 4/24 and arrived today with all the parts.

Observations:
  • Pretty loud (er, sporty) - even with the baffle. Nice sound. But I can't hear the gearbox whine anymore.
  • The hanger is rather "spartan" and the holes need to be drilled out to fit the stock hanger bolt. It weighs nothing so I'll give them a pass on it being cheap - it looks fine when mounted. I believe this is pretty strong stainless steel strap, as I had to drill out the holes a bit for the hanger bolt, it is quite tough.
  • Did I mention it was loud?
  • Seems very well made for the price.
  • IMO the connector diameter is too big to fit the stock exhaust pipe. It will eventually tighten down, requiring waaaay too much torque on the clamp, and eventually bends the clamp bolt. I would have used a sleeve if I had anything that fit. I didn't.
  • Correct shorter springs were supplied. They are pretty cheap plated springs, not what you'd find in an Akra or Yoshi. They work fine.

Hard to beat the price though. Still watching for a full system or nice CF can to come up in classifieds, but this works until then. If loud pipes save lives, then I'm pretty safe.
I thought I would add that the cheapo hanger rubber wrap seems to be deforming on mine (heat). It looked nice when originally installed but the edges have sort of flopped/deformed after some heat cycles. Not melting, just not holding the original shape.

If anyone knows of another hanger that fits perfectly and holds up, please pass this tidbit along.

Old May 13th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #52
leed
ninjette.org sage

You might consider buying a silicone cooking mat and cutting a strip out of it to lay in between the exhaust and the hangar. The exhaust shouldn't exceed it's temperature ratings, but it doesn't hurt to check. Most silicone (while still remaining inexpensive) should withstand 400 or more degrees.

Old May 13th, 2011, 09:54 AM   #53
red
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
You might consider buying a silicone cooking mat and cutting a strip out of it to lay in between the exhaust and the hangar. The exhaust shouldn't exceed it's temperature ratings, but it doesn't hurt to check. Most silicone (while still remaining inexpensive) should withstand 400 or more degrees.
Yes, I did check the can temp to see if it was out of line (it wasn't even hot to the touch). So I think the nifty formed piece of rubber that looked nice and covered the edges is... just... cheap.

But I have not gotten down there and attempted to rejigger or glue it to the strap. This may also be an option to make it pretty again.

Old May 13th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #54
leed
ninjette.org sage

And you could probably find one in the same color as your bike to match!

Old May 13th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #55
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

I didnt even use that POS rubber strap, it looks fine without it on the can.
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #56
infinitethrill
forever a n00b

Went for the test ride w/o snorkel today. Better - doesn't take forever to pull into the higher rev's, but still lacking pulling power 65mph and above. Even downshifting and revving up to 11-12 wasn't enough to speed up on the freeway. Still, better than before though. Any other tips?

Old May 13th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #57
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Quote:
Went for the test ride w/o snorkel today. Better - doesn't take forever to pull into the higher rev's, but still lacking pulling power 65mph and above. Even downshifting and revving up to 11-12 wasn't enough to speed up on the freeway. Still, better than before though. Any other tips?
Have you had a chance to remove the Kleen Air system that retards the bike?
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods

Old May 13th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #58
infinitethrill
forever a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali619 View Post
Have you had a chance to remove the Kleen Air system that retards the bike?
This is my next mod. I have the CA model so it is a bit more tricky. Need to get the hardware to plug the holes and then I can go forward with it.

Old May 13th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #59
red
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Mine lacks much pulling power above 65mph, but I always presumed it was because of the poor ninja having to haul my gordo texas self (i.e. fata$$) and 15/43 sprockets and upwind. I would be curious to know what the skinny people see for a roll-on 65+ to ? when they have a pillion or at gvwr. What's normal or to be expected?

Old May 13th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #60
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Quote:
This is my next mod. I have the CA model so it is a bit more tricky. Need to get the hardware to plug the holes and then I can go forward with it.
Once you pull the airbox and Kleen air system and install the filter pods it should improve. I have all that crap removed but I have not red lined in 6th , just get to 1 or 2k before that. Im not sure if thats normal though. Oh I also have larger main jets in the carb.

Old May 13th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #61
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
I would be curious to know what the skinny people see for a roll-on 65+ to ? when they have a pillion or at gvwr. What's normal or to be expected?
Wait, you mean yours doesn't immediately wheelie while spinning the rear tire?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #62
leed
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Once that is all said and done, if there is no change you may just be unlucky and truly need your carburetors rejetted to get the best performance out of it.

Old May 13th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #63
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Didnt read the whole thread, so sorry if you answered this already.

But you shimmed first, right?

Edit: Oops just read, you did.... Try three washers! I ran two washers with stock exhaust and the snorkel removed. And if you plan on doing pods you must re jet
Kevin2109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #64
infinitethrill
forever a n00b

I am a skinny guy about 120 pounds. With the stock setup I had enough power and was thinking about moving up to a 15 tooth on the front just to drop the rev's on the freeway. The only thing that I feel is lacking is that extra boost you get from re gripping the throttle. Pulling back from 75% to WOT makes minimal difference. I shimmed 2 washers. Would going up to three help out? From what I understand shimming only helps out with the lower range. I will get to pulling the extra plumbing soon...

Old May 13th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #65
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Do three, mine pulls my fat A$$ at 65 just fine, till about 85mph

Old May 16th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #66
qazwsx
ninjette.org newbie

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

There is a new exhaust listed on danmotos site. it is the jisu, it looks alright. i wonder if it is a more quieter exhaust compared to the carbon gp one

http://www.dan-moto.com/zx-250-r-nin...oduct-438.html
qazwsx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2011, 05:11 PM   #67
Sixringz
ninjette.org member

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by qazwsx View Post
There is a new exhaust listed on danmotos site. it is the jisu, it looks alright. i wonder if it is a more quieter exhaust compared to the carbon gp one

http://www.dan-moto.com/zx-250-r-nin...oduct-438.html
It reminds me of the gxsr exhaust people put on the ninjette. Someone buy this and rate it with a video and pics plz??
Sixringz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #68
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Looks ridiculous

Old May 16th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #69
qazwsx
ninjette.org newbie

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

i emailed danmoto and they said that the jisu exhaust is much quieter then the other carbon one.
qazwsx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #70
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

I would really like to see the jisu installed. Might look really sharp for those trying to keep the stock style while modding.

Wonder if they would make me a shortened carbon can aswell.....
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #71
Sixringz
ninjette.org member

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarC View Post
I would really like to see the jisu installed. Might look really sharp for those trying to keep the stock style while modding.

I thought of that too. It would look a lot like the mgp growler.
Sixringz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #72
DarC
DUCEATR

Exactly! For less than 1/3 the cost.

I might just get one and cut it short. But first I want to see the jisu on a ninjette. I e-mailed them to see if they had a photo. Will post it up as soon as I get a reply...uness someone has one already

Old May 17th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #73
play2pwn
Only the good die young

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ninja 250r SE

After seeing this slipon made me think twice about getting a full jardine rt5 ss exhaust
play2pwn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #74
DarC
DUCEATR

Been thinking about this all day at work and can't decide if I should pickup the Jisu just for the sake of running a review on it. If I hate it I guess I could sell it and cut down the Carbon GP version....

Decisions, decisions...

Edit:

I ended up with the Carbon GP. Dan Moto replied that they can make a 250mm length muffler instead of 300mm. I went full length and will adjust to my tastes if desired.

I decided against the jisu because it is pretty long and due to the way it would mount as compared to the low and tight mount of the GSXR muffler it might look very intrusive and bulky on the bike. DM did not have pics of it on a bike and I really don't want to play musical exhausts right now as I am concentrating on getting a set of clip ons and rearsets on the bike. If someone takes the hit and orders one soon and it turns out to be the cats meow then I will have a carbon gp for sale.

Last futzed with by DarC; May 17th, 2011 at 11:14 PM.

Old May 20th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #75
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Honja

Gotta say im pretty impressed with Dan Moto. I got my can from China faster than I have received things off eBAY in the same country. Looks good, sounds good (albeit loud as ****), and mounts up well. The "hanger" is a cheap piece of crap but what can I expect for a third of the cost of other slip-ons.
Jojah17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #76
bao
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Steven

Motorcycle(s): Candy Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojah17 View Post
Gotta say im pretty impressed with Dan Moto. I got my can from China faster than I have received things off eBAY in the same country. Looks good, sounds good (albeit loud as ****), and mounts up well. The "hanger" is a cheap piece of crap but what can I expect for a third of the cost of other slip-ons.
Which one did you get? I'm seriously considering the JISU exhaust.
bao is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 05:17 PM   #77
dicer20
ninjette.org member

Name: Ron

Motorcycle(s): blue 2008 ninja 250r

so i finally got my baffle in the mail today....after a month of waiting...i want to know were this baffle goes.. i can not figure it out ...can anyone tell me where to install this thing...i have not installed the slip on because i was waiting for the baffle....any ideas would help me out alot...thanx
dicer20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #78
CoinSlot
ninjette.org member

Name: Gordo

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

On the engine/exhaust side of the muffler. Long end goes in. Refer photo:

IMG_0651.jpg
CoinSlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #79
bao
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Steven

Motorcycle(s): Candy Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarC View Post

I emailed DanMoto. They'll make the shortened can per request. The Jisu exhaust is 400mm for comparison.
bao is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #80
dicer20
ninjette.org member

Name: Ron

Motorcycle(s): blue 2008 ninja 250r

thanx Coinslot i tried that but mine rattles inside i guess i have to push it all the way in ,do you use a special tool to push this all the way in? or does yours rattle also?
dicer20 is offline   Reply With Quote