ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 1st, 2010, 12:47 PM   #41
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoas View Post
In the kit plug and play there is a adapter sensor to put on speed cable. Using this sensor just set the RX-2 with 714 and 6p. The speed is perfect, I made a comparison with a GPS.

Wow... that is a pretty cool adapter! I didn't know they made one like that. Can you the adapter separately for other applications (don't ask me what, merely an academic question)?
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2010, 12:48 PM   #42
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

if you put the magnets and speed sensor on the rear wheel, you could put it up on a stand and config the gear indicator that way too. I'd be sure to block the front wheel tho just to make sure it doesn't slip off the stand.
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #43
codebluetdi
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
Why did you guys tapped the radiator hose for water temp gauge? Why not install temp sensor in stock water temp location?
I've been reading up the threads here on these gauges and was trying to figure this out myself. Someone mentioned the thread size of the supplied water temp sender is bigger than the stock water temp switch. I noticed that Koso sells different size senders.

Does anyone know what the stock water temp switch thread size and pitch is? (I'm talking about the one that's inside the thermostat housing btw, not the radiator)

Also I like to use magnetic drain bolts. I was looking at your pic#23 and remembered that there's actually 2 drain bolts. Has anyone tried using the far left bolt as the oil temp sender location instead?

thanks!
codebluetdi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #44
Canoas
ninjette.org member

Name: Marcos

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

The FI Ninja and Carb Ninja using different sensors. The FI uses a sensor with three wires and Carb uses only one wire.

In my FI Ninja Koso sensor not only has to replace the original. I believe the carburetor will not be the same problem.

Old October 7th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #45
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Quote:
Originally Posted by codebluetdi View Post
I've been reading up the threads here on these gauges and was trying to figure this out myself. Someone mentioned the thread size of the supplied water temp sender is bigger than the stock water temp switch. I noticed that Koso sells different size senders.

Does anyone know what the stock water temp switch thread size and pitch is? (I'm talking about the one that's inside the thermostat housing btw, not the radiator)

Also I like to use magnetic drain bolts. I was looking at your pic#23 and remembered that there's actually 2 drain bolts. Has anyone tried using the far left bolt as the oil temp sender location instead?

thanks!
it's possible the thread size are different. You can remove it and check..you won't spill much coolant..may be like 2 drops at most.
As for the drain bolts..they are the same size... M14x1.25 ...so technically he could have installed the sensor on the other plug. It would make sense to do this and reserve this plug for oil change..it's more accessible.
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #46
mjbroncos
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
it's possible the thread size are different. You can remove it and check..you won't spill much coolant..may be like 2 drops at most.
As for the drain bolts..they are the same size... M14x1.25 ...so technically he could have installed the sensor on the other plug. It would make sense to do this and reserve this plug for oil change..it's more accessible.
Can someone please give me the size or koso part # of the water temp sensor adapter, oil temp sensor adapter, and disc magnet screw. I think the oil temp part number is BG241412 but I am not 100% positive, as for the water temp, and disc magnet screw I don't have a clue on what size I need to order.

Thanks for your help
mjbroncos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #47
Keratsiniotis18
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

I am trying to install the water and oil sensors... What size do I have to buy???
Keratsiniotis18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #48
wayanlam

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

i would suggest measuring the ones on your bike, just so no mistakes are done. then it also depends where you want to put the sensors. there are two types for each sensor it seems.

i replaced the oem sensors with the koso sensors directly.

while some koso packages require you to cut into the water pipe from the radiator (so you keep the oem sensor) and attach a T junction.

and the same goes for the oil, they either have a sensor built into the oil nut that you remove when you do the oil change, or replace the oil sensor directly with the OEM oil sensor.

this is what some packages come with.

sooo... im not sure which one you intend on using. i just got 2 sensors like this:

that plugged in here:

and here:

by removing part A, B, C

Old November 7th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #49
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): magHitVE

I'm going to call Koso tomorow (thier headquaters it only 20 mins away from me) and ask them if the speedo can actually be pre programmed with a set milage, ill also ask them to make the next firmware update good for 12h time

any other suggestions?
jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #50
wayanlam

yeah, they should have more options with the time/temp/fuel combination layout, at the moment you can only have time and fuel. or, temp and temp, temp and fuel, and a 4th setting (forgot). i would have liked to have time and water or oil temp. for example, since the fuel gauge just sux... lol

how about a disco light scheme, maybe one that changes according to the rpm/speed ratios or something. just something senseless but maybe a little amusing to have... i mean since we already have 7 colors to play with! why not :P

Old November 8th, 2010, 05:06 AM   #51
Keratsiniotis18
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Michael

For the water hose I know that is 22mm but for the oil I read 14x1,5 and 14x1,25 and I dont know wich... For the water hose the hole that we install the sensor is 1/8???
Keratsiniotis18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #52
randomwalk101
self wrencher

when replacing the original gauge with Koso gauge, does the stock oil and water sensor not used at or still used for dummy light?

I went for the Koso/voltmeter kit plus Engear indicator instead. Can't wait for it to get here.

Old February 20th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #53
randomwalk101
self wrencher

what value did you guys use to set up the Cycle/Piston in the setup menu? I am currently use 4/2 and the speed is a little off.

Old February 20th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #54
dyeforever
ninjette.org member

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 04 250r(sold), 09 250r(sold), 07 CRF450x, 07 sv650(sold)

I used 2 piston 4 stroke. put in 1887 for tire circumference.
dyeforever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #55
randomwalk101
self wrencher

I see my mistake. I put 8 magnets instead of 6

Old February 20th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #56
dyeforever
ninjette.org member

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 04 250r(sold), 09 250r(sold), 07 CRF450x, 07 sv650(sold)

that would do it. make sure the magnets are all facing the right way. i put one in backwards and my speedo was way off.
dyeforever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #57
drummerdude
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 250r

so what sensors come with the current koso cabr ninja kit? does it use the magnest for speed or the cable to digital signal convertor? does the fuel work for the carb ninja? what size water temp sensor is needed to replace the stock sensor? Thanks
drummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #58
randomwalk101
self wrencher

The plug and play kit comes with both speed sensor/magnet or adapter for the mechanical cable. One should use the speed sensor though for better accuracy. It comes with two sensors for oil and water. Direct replacement of both. Just remove your stock ones and put in the Koso sensor and hook it all up. Also the plug & play wire harness is direct plug in...The fuel gauge works too...Very simple.
Everything works now (Koso) but my Engear gear indicator doesn't work. I'm not sure if it's because I messed up and put 8 instead of 6 magnets which messed up the speed and that's why it didn't work or is it because it's simply not compatible...will have to test it out again later this week.

Old February 20th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #59
drummerdude
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 250r

why is the cable to digital convertor less accurate?, I would think it would be more accurate. I know its not the same, but I hated dealing with the magnet style speed sensor for my bicycle. Thanks for the info, this will probably be one of my first 5 purchases for this bike.
drummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #60
danjaho
two ninjas, no regrets.

Name: Dane

Motorcycle(s): RED 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R... Special Edition 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

@ randomwalk101... how did you get the gas indicator to work? im in the process of installing the guage as we speak and i dont want to chop any wires if i dont need to. lots say you cant do it on the carburetor style ninjas but ive talked to afew that say you can.. and incase your wondering yes i am a big baby and want my gas to be displayed. lol
danjaho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #61
wayanlam

on the carburated bikes you are able to have a working fuel gauge. however i wouldn't know where to splice that in. mine came already with a plug and play setup.

John, when you splice in the volt meter, make sure you hook them up to the correct lines. the way it was connected originally on my bike caused the battery to run flat. it somehow did not stop checking the voltage even with the bike off and must have sucked the battery dry over time.

ive had it "fixed" hopefully, but only time will tell if they connected it up correctly this time.

almost had to spend $150 on a new battery...

W.

Old March 16th, 2011, 06:07 PM   #62
randomwalk101
self wrencher

To get fuel gauge working, buy the correct plug&play wire kit. There's one for carb and one for FI.
Wayan: thx. Should be simple I hope. One to pos, ground and ignition. But I'm debating if I should put the af gauge in there instead. Who needs voltage?

Old March 16th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #63
wayanlam

if you pop in the A/F gauge (something i have thought about a while back) you need to always remember to disconnect the A/F power source. i don't think you can splice that into the ignition system, it might overload it?

from what i've read, the power supply for the A/F is always hooked up to the battery for testing, and then you need to disconnect it after use (or add a switch somewhere). the sensor head sucks power to heat itself up or something, so even if the bike if turned off, it will drain your battery.

personally i don't trust myself enough to remember and turn it off every time, lol... and push starting the bike is a PITA! trust me ive had to do THAT several times already...

Old March 16th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #64
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Wayan, that's easy. Use a relay and the ig to control the relay to power your AF

Old March 16th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #65
wayanlam

true that. but im not an electrician, so its all a little foggy and unclear as to how the relay should be installed. with some know-how or a diagram im sure it would be easy enough.

but to be honest the real reason im not buying a full A/F setup (sensor and gauge) is because i dont want to spend so much money on something i actually only need once to tune properly. after that it will just be a: "not-so-useful-but-flashy-dial-that-looks-good" (like the voltmeter) that i already spent money on .

what i plan to do instead is buy a new sensor which ill give to the mechanic who has the dyno machine. it hooks up the the dyno program and gives full log reports for A/F @ Rpm / power/ torque.

the sensor that he got with the dyno was working when he got it a while back, but then broke (wore out) and he hasn't been able to find a replacement so easily.

im 99% sure that we need this sensor: 3737 Bosch Wideband O2 Sensor LSU4.2 the picture looks basically identical to his broken one, and same plug. i checked the code on the sensor. the only code that matches is "LSU4.2" the other codes don't correspond

he is checking again if he cant get it here in Indonesia, if not, ill be buying it from amazon or something

Old March 16th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #66
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Bad fuel (lead) will burn sensor fast. US now all have unleaded so it should last awhile

But...on second thought. The unit is not weatherproof, and this can be a problem. May be I'll stick with voltmeter?

Last futzed with by randomwalk101; March 16th, 2011 at 08:57 PM.

Old March 21st, 2011, 08:03 PM   #67
danjaho
two ninjas, no regrets.

Motorcycle(s): RED 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R... Special Edition 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Guys i realize this is a stupid question but speed sensor settings.. i have my koso all up and running but i took my bike for a test ride today looked down at the speedo and i was going 360 kmph and it was flashing lol i quickly realized i forgot to set my tire circumference. so i try to set it and i press select 10x like it says in the instructions book and i get nowhere just goes from clock to WAT to OIL, then i hold select for 3 seconds and it takes me to 100000 modes, i press select 10x at that point and it doesnt look like the picture in the instructions at all... does anyone have a step by step forum on how to do this for idiots who cant read instructions like me?

Old March 21st, 2011, 09:09 PM   #68
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Can't read the manual??? WTF?? You're joking right?

Old March 21st, 2011, 10:38 PM   #69
danjaho
two ninjas, no regrets.

In all honesty no. Maybe it's the fact I worked a 12 hour shift before attempting the setting. Or I clearly am retarded. I'll take another look at it tomorrow morning and see how it works for me, lol.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:55 PM   #70
Ryurahi
ninjette.org member

Name: Rahi

hey, i just bought this gauge, does it display speed in KM. and also i hear the gas meter only works if u have the fuel injected version of the 250. How did u get urs to work?
Ryurahi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2011, 01:33 PM   #71
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryurahi View Post
hey, i just bought this gauge, does it display speed in KM. and also i hear the gas meter only works if u have the fuel injected version of the 250. How did u get urs to work?
Please lift your eyeballs up to post #62..no need to do a search (as you usually should)

Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:38 PM   #72
danjaho
two ninjas, no regrets.

haha so i realized i was temporarily retarded. took another crack at it after work today and got it with in 30 seconds.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:08 PM   #73
wayanlam

12 hour shift sounds narly... even unzipping your jeans can be challenging after that sometimes, let alone setting the tire circumference and the magnet quantity, haha

regarding the gas meter, its the other way around, carburated models will have the fuel sensor, while the FI models don't (they just have a warning light i think?)

Old April 22nd, 2011, 07:10 AM   #74
bp328i
ninjette.org member

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayanlam View Post
that bezel that dyeforever used is a standard that Koso sells i believe. i got mine with a custom fiberglass bezel, with an added voltmeter (not really useful, but looks cool and balances out the dash with the RPM centered).

Where did you get the guage cluster at? I love the look of it with the custom fiberglass bezel.
bp328i is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2011, 07:20 AM   #75
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

it can be sourced from:

sportisi
shinto
wayan
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2011, 09:25 AM   #76
AzEKnightz
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by want1sobad View Post
it can be sourced from:

sportisi
shinto
wayan
Tried contacting Sportisi (Matt) no response
Tried contacting Shinto (Paul) no response
Just shoot Wayan a pm, hopefully he can source one out for me. Thanks!

-AzEKnightz
AzEKnightz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:25 AM   #77
wayanlam

just replied to your PM

Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:41 AM   #78
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
just replied to your PM
Depending on cost... I might be interested in one too.

The KOSO P&P kits are appearing more and more from US sellers so the custom bezel is the only missing piece.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:57 AM   #79
wayanlam

latest next week ill get a price for you guys. still staying home after my confrontation with the asphalt on Monday, to let the wounds heal up

Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:03 AM   #80
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
latest next week ill get a price for you guys. still staying home after my confrontation with the asphalt on Monday, to let the wounds heal up
No worries here. Take care!

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote