ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 8th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #121
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjoe View Post
thank you very much
I'll try to contact him
I think this is Racer X's DIY on his install. Should have some useful info.

http://www.newninja.com/forums/f98/koso-dash-3977.html

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 04:02 AM   #122
Madchild
Ninja Racer

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha R6, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 07 Aprilia SR50 Factory

The hose from the radiator is 22mm?
What pitch is the stock sensor?

CRA #23 - 2011 Sponsors: Cheng's Dynasty, Motoprimo, Studio299.com, Michelin, Syderleatherworks, Woodcraft, Vortex, Scorpion Helmet (USA), 24/7
Madchild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 04:07 PM   #123
ShelbyOne
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madchild View Post
The hose from the radiator is 22mm?
What pitch is the stock sensor?

Confusion... Is this the proper water sensor to replace the factory one? And.. Does it not come with the "plug and play" kit???

Old August 11th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #124
ShelbyOne
ninjette.org member

Setting milage...

I recently got my Koso unit back from the factory. I sent it in and got the proper milage programed in. (4500 mi) Pascal was very nice to work with, but it took forever to get it back due to a postal strike in Canada! Not Koso's fault at all. I live in Alaska so the shipping was expensive to Canada, but probably not much more than the lower 48. Total shipping, w/ insurance and conformation, was $65.00. Probably not worth it, oh well...

Old August 11th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #125
Madchild
Ninja Racer

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha R6, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 07 Aprilia SR50 Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyOne View Post
I recently got my Koso unit back from the factory. I sent it in and got the proper milage programed in. (4500 mi) Pascal was very nice to work with, but it took forever to get it back due to a postal strike in Canada! Not Koso's fault at all. I live in Alaska so the shipping was expensive to Canada, but probably not much more than the lower 48. Total shipping, w/ insurance and conformation, was $65.00. Probably not worth it, oh well...
I'm not sure. I'm trying to figure what pitch sensor I need.
CRA #23 - 2011 Sponsors: Cheng's Dynasty, Motoprimo, Studio299.com, Michelin, Syderleatherworks, Woodcraft, Vortex, Scorpion Helmet (USA), 24/7

Old August 11th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #126
ninjoe
ninjette.org member

Name: joe

Motorcycle(s): 250r 2009, blue

Quote:

do they charged you anything for the milleage programmation, or it was free?
ninjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #127
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Pascal is great to work with. The stock sensor is an on off idiot light . That is wiried to the warning light on the Koso dash. The sensor shown is for a gauge . As it gets hot the resistance goes up.

To install tthe gauge you get a hose adapter from koso then cut the radiator hose .
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #128
Madchild
Ninja Racer

I'm looking at the one with just a tach and water temp gauge. Can you buy the correct temp sensors and tap it in to the stock one?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 11th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #129
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
I don't understand why Canada matters... isn't it KOSO USA? Even if it goes through Canada, isn't it USPS trucks? You did state "... shipping to Canada." That confused me.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #130
ShelbyOne
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjoe View Post
do they charged you anything for the milleage programmation, or it was free?
FREE!!! They responded to all my e mails and kept me posted through the whole process! Awesome!!

Old August 11th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #131
ShelbyOne
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
I don't understand why Canada matters... isn't it KOSO USA? Even if it goes through Canada, isn't it USPS trucks? You did state "... shipping to Canada." That confused me.
Koso Northamerica is in Quebec Canada! Go figure...

Old August 11th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #132
ShelbyOne
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
Pascal is great to work with. The stock sensor is an on off idiot light . That is wiried to the warning light on the Koso dash. The sensor shown is for a gauge . As it gets hot the resistance goes up.

To install tthe gauge you get a hose adapter from koso then cut the radiator hose .
Thanks! So, just for clarification, there is no way to replace the stock sensor withe a resistance sensor to avoid cutting into the hose?

Old August 11th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #133
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Koso Northamerica is in Quebec Canada! Go figure...
LOL, is Canada even in North America? I thought it was just us
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #134
ninjoe
ninjette.org member

Name: joe

Motorcycle(s): 250r 2009, blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
as soon as a parcel enters the canada, it is no longer usps that takes care of the shipping, it's canada post, and the opposite.
ninjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2011, 02:48 AM   #135
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Quote:
Thanks! So, just for clarification, there is no way to replace the stock sensor withe a resistance sensor to avoid cutting into the hose?
The resistance sensor might screw into the thermostat housing.I have never tried. Cutting the hose on the left side is very simple.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2011, 06:28 AM   #136
Madchild
Ninja Racer

Quote:
The resistance sensor might screw into the thermostat housing.I have never tried. Cutting the hose on the left side is very simple.
Do you know what size is the hose?

Old August 13th, 2011, 03:26 AM   #137
ShelbyOne
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Just checked it out... Unfortunately, it would take some sort of adaptor to allow the Koso sensor to screw directly into the thermostat housing. Definately not worth trying to fabricate something.

I did have a hard time fitting everything back in after the mandatory hose extension required to fit the inline sensor housing. The coolant cap is sitting a little higher and I couldn't use the original mounting point to re-attach it. I'll find a new one I guess.

Other than that the install seems pretty strait forward.

Old August 13th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #138
Madchild
Ninja Racer

I figured out the pitch. For those of you that are doing this for a race bike. Ie not running a radiator fan. You can plug this sensor that comes with the kit to where the original sensor goes.

This pitch is 10x1 or the pipe number is 1/8
Also the water hose kit is 22mm
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 23rd, 2011, 07:46 AM   #139
dubojr1

Is everyone replacing their oil pressure sensor with the KOSO oil temp sensor? Wouldn't that be a bad idea. Couldn't there be an instance where you may know how hot your oil is but you wouldn't know that you don't have oil pressure...

Old August 23rd, 2011, 08:37 AM   #140
dubojr1

BTW... I have a roll of blue wire left from my kit that has a female connector on one end and nothing on the other. It is not the 12V+ for the gauge. Everything seems to work so what is it for?

Old August 23rd, 2011, 07:43 PM   #141
ShelbyOne
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
Is everyone replacing their oil pressure sensor with the KOSO oil temp sensor? Wouldn't that be a bad idea. Couldn't there be an instance where you may know how hot your oil is but you wouldn't know that you don't have oil pressure...
I don't think anyone is doing that.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 08:10 PM   #142
wayanlam

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

to carry on this convo, from the other thread as well~

lets say if the original pressure sensor if left on the bike, and the Koso temp sensor is plugged into the oil plug adapter, how would we know that there is a problem with the oil pressure with the Koso speedometer? since the pressure sensor is not connected to the cluster in any way. unless it relays the info to the CDI, and then from the CDI it goes to the Koso speedometer?

just curious to know... since if the pressure switch actually works with the RX2 / RX2N, then i would eventually be interested to plug that back in, and put the temp sensor on the oil plug at the bottom.

ps, or maybe the cdi just shuts the bike down if it thinks that there is no pressure to avoid engine failure? in which case, i wonder why the bike would keep working after ive unplugged it...

Old August 23rd, 2011, 08:56 PM   #143
jdoucet93
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2009 R6

Quote:
BTW... I have a roll of blue wire left from my kit that has a female connector on one end and nothing on the other. It is not the 12V+ for the gauge. Everything seems to work so what is it for?
If i'm not mistaken i believe this is to keep the correct time in the clock and keep all of your settings in the unit saved when the bike is not running. (same concept as the constant power running to the radio in a car)
jdoucet93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2011, 09:01 PM   #144
wayanlam

that cable is just extra, you dont need to install it, you get the power from the other cable lead that is also included. (im sure i posted some pictures of this on a thread somewhere when i did my koso install)

the clock will keep working as long as you dont unplug that power lead. the other saved info (wheel size, magnet count, trip meter, odometer, etc) is not lost if you unplug the power, only the clock needs resetting if that happens.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 09:04 PM   #145
jdoucet93
ninjette.org sage

On my bike, when the temperature outside is over about 90 or 95 degrees fahrenheit, my tach reads about 900 rpm higher than it would otherwise. I've heard of quite a few other people with this problem. Most people seem to lean towards the idea that the spring in the stock analog tach tends to heat up and cause the reading to be off quite a bit.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
If so, has the new gauge remedied the issue? (it should if its just the spring...)

Old August 23rd, 2011, 09:11 PM   #146
wayanlam

from all the posts ive read, it was generally mentioned that the problem with the faulty RPM reading was caused by the CDI getting hot. haven't heard about the hot tach spring thing till now.

the Koso tach is digital. no springs, etc. its an electric motor controlled needle.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 09:21 PM   #147
jdoucet93
ninjette.org sage

That was another popular suggestion. If the problem persists after the rx-2 is installed, I'll bring it back too the dealer and have it replaced. (bike is only a month old today.) Thanks!

Old August 24th, 2011, 07:38 AM   #148
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayanlam View Post
to carry on this convo, from the other thread as well~

lets say if the original pressure sensor if left on the bike, and the Koso temp sensor is plugged into the oil plug adapter, how would we know that there is a problem with the oil pressure with the Koso speedometer? since the pressure sensor is not connected to the cluster in any way. unless it relays the info to the CDI, and then from the CDI it goes to the Koso speedometer?

just curious to know... since if the pressure switch actually works with the RX2 / RX2N, then i would eventually be interested to plug that back in, and put the temp sensor on the oil plug at the bottom.

ps, or maybe the cdi just shuts the bike down if it thinks that there is no pressure to avoid engine failure? in which case, i wonder why the bike would keep working after ive unplugged it...
Ha.... I can explain this....I think

The KOSO has a oil pressure warning light that displays when you turn your key to the "ON' position. This light (oil can shaped) should go off once your bike starts and oil pressure comes up to the required spec. That light is driven from the stock oil pressure sensor although I'm not sure if the signal for it comes directly from the sensor or possibly the CDI.

Now we also know the KOSO has oil and coolant temperature sensors that come with the kit. The gauge reads these sensors to display a temp on the gauge itself. However...the KOSO also has a set point for "over temp" warnings which is displayed using a flashing "WAT" or a flashing "OIL" indicator on the display. The only place I have seen this information is in the setup guide that came with the gauge (see attached).

Anyway so there are 3 sensor's involved (if you kept the stock oil pressure sensor) and 3 different visual displays for them.

1. Oil pressure warning = red oil can displayed on the dash
2. Oil temp warning = "OIL" flashes on display
3. Coolant temp warning = "WAT" flashes on display

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wiring Guide.pdf (3.31 MB, 27 views)
File Type: pdf User Manual.pdf (13.21 MB, 37 views)

Old August 24th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #149
wayanlam

now that makes it all clear, and it makes sense. good info to know! time to figure out where i can get the adapter to move the oil temp sensor now...

Old August 25th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #150
dubojr1

Quote:
now that makes it all clear, and it makes sense. good info to know! time to figure out where i can get the adapter to move the oil temp sensor now...
Here's where I got mine but I'm not sure if they ship internationally...

http://www.speedwerxstore.com/index...._detail&p=1748

Old August 25th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #151
wayanlam

how long does it take them to send the part? if i can get it sent to LA by the 6th, i want to order it.

Jason, would you by chance be willing to purchase one for me, ill give you the shipping address in LA. and pay you through PayPal.

since i have money on PP from the goods i keep buying for fellow ninjetters, and it costs me to withdraw into my Indonesian acc., i would prefer to use the credit i have there to buy stuff in return.

thanks!

Old August 26th, 2011, 06:07 AM   #152
dubojr1

Quote:
how long does it take them to send the part? if i can get it sent to LA by the 6th, i want to order it.

Jason, would you by chance be willing to purchase one for me, ill give you the shipping address in LA. and pay you through PayPal.

since i have money on PP from the goods i keep buying for fellow ninjetters, and it costs me to withdraw into my Indonesian acc., i would prefer to use the credit i have there to buy stuff in return.

thanks!
I'd be happy to help. Send me the address and I'll get the total for you and we will go from there. I'm pretty sure they had shipping options to speed it up if needed.

BTW... this could be made easily from your drain plug if you have a local shop to drill and tap it for you. I figured for less than $15 shipped, it was easier for me to order it.

Old August 26th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #153
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Quote:
Ha.... I can explain this....I think

The KOSO has a oil pressure warning light that displays when you turn your key to the "ON' position. This light (oil can shaped) should go off once your bike starts and oil pressure comes up to the required spec. That light is driven from the stock oil pressure sensor although I'm not sure if the signal for it comes directly from the sensor or possibly the CDI.

Now we also know the KOSO has oil and coolant temperature sensors that come with the kit. The gauge reads these sensors to display a temp on the gauge itself. However...the KOSO also has a set point for "over temp" warnings which is displayed using a flashing "WAT" or a flashing "OIL" indicator on the display. The only place I have seen this information is in the setup guide that came with the gauge (see attached).

Anyway so there are 3 sensor's involved (if you kept the stock oil pressure sensor) and 3 different visual displays for them.

1. Oil pressure warning = red oil can displayed on the dash
2. Oil temp warning = "OIL" flashes on display
3. Coolant temp warning = "WAT" flashes on display

Keep stock oil pressure sensor. Connect the Koso water temp to stock water temp location. Connect the Koso oil temp sensor to 2nd oil drain hole (with Koso adapter). Everything comes with the Koso kit (plug and play kit).
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2011, 08:49 AM   #154
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
Keep stock oil pressure sensor. Connect the Koso water temp to stock water temp location. Connect the Koso oil temp sensor to 2nd oil drain hole (with Koso adapter). Everything comes with the Koso kit (plug and play kit).
The oil adapter does not come with the kit now.

Old August 26th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #155
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Quote:
The oil adapter does not come with the kit now.
Really? Damn, eco is in the verge of recession #2 with deficit sky high. Everything is a cut-back...

Old August 26th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #156
dubojr1

Yeah I know. Here's a list of what it comes with now.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wiring Guide.pdf (3.31 MB, 26 views)

Old August 26th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #157
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Quote:
Yeah I know. Here's a list of what it comes with now.
Ahh..that's the standard package..when you buy only the RX2 gauge. But if you also get the "plug and play kit", you will get everything else. I think the PnP kit was another $50.

Old August 26th, 2011, 11:20 AM   #158
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
Ahh..that's the standard package..when you buy only the RX2 gauge. But if you also get the "plug and play kit", you will get everything else. I think the PnP kit was another $50.
I had to run 1-12V+ power wire and plug in 2 connectors and the sensors. Can't get much more P&P than that. It's the current Custom Dash Kit but it's also P&P.

Old August 31st, 2011, 09:00 PM   #159
wayanlam

ill just buy a new oil drain plug and get it drilled and tapped at a workshop here by the office.

that's the easiest solution actually, silly i didn't think of it to start with, lol! its also one less thing for my friend to carry, since there is already enough stuff for him to carry as it is, hehe...

Old January 9th, 2012, 01:08 AM   #160
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Oil temperature

Hello Wayan,

to connect your oil-temperature-switch the best way to go is, you go to Kwaki and buy the no. 92002-1427 BOLT, OIL SWITCH like it is used for the oil-pressure-switch. Remove the bolt from the tube-assy (crankcase-head) at the right side, what is the other end of the oil-tube coming from the oil-pressure-switch. There you plug in the bolt from Kwaki and in this bolt you put in the oil-temperature-sensor from Koso (don't forget to use teflon-tape). So you messure the oil-temperature in the main-line and you read the correct value.
I hope you can understand what I'm talking about and if not refer to page 13 of the parts-catalog and also excuse my bad english.
Good luck.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote