ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old February 1st, 2016, 08:40 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[visordown.com] - Italian tuning firm gives a boost to the Yamaha R3 and KTM RC 390

NOT too long ago, we tested the Yamaha R3 and KTM RC 390 against each other on the road to find out which is king of the A2 sportsbikes.

Over a service station coffee at the end of the day, we talked about each bike’s strengths and weaknesses, but the glaring lack of a turbo on each bike never came up.

Is that an oversight on our part? Had we forgotten that everything is better with a turbo? Italian tuning company Performance Technology must think so because it used the recent Verona Motorcycle Show to unveil its turbo kits for the R3 and RC 390, which it says its increase power and efficiency without compromising reliability.

Performance Technology says that turbocharging both bikes increases power up around 60hp and claims that putting a turbo on each of these bikes cold create a new low cost category of performance racing.

We’ve request pricing and technical information but have been told we’ll have to wait for further details but the company has also said it’s also working on a turbo kit for the Ninja 300, which will be ready by March, so more details may be available then.
  • Sign up for Visordown's weekly newsletter, Bugsplat, to get the best motorcycle news, road tests and features plus exclusive competitions and offers direct to your inbox. Register as a Visordown member here and tick the box for Bugsplat in your newsletter settings here.
Related Content

Suzuki: new pictures of Recursion concept
Kawasaki’s supercharged four-cylinder engine
Top 10 forced induction production bikes
Suzuki trademarks Recursion name
311mph: new motorcycle speed record

Click here for full story...

Old February 1st, 2016, 10:50 AM   #2
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
A turbo kit for the Ninja 300? 60 hp on a Ninja 300?

Sounds interesting.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2016, 10:10 PM   #3
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

I read "yamaha r3". No ninja mentioned.

FWIW I rode a 13' ninja 300 and a ktm 390 last year and I wasn't impressed with either in terms of power. I told the 390 owner that his bike seemed a little underpowered for 390cc, and he mumbled something about a derestriction service from the dealer. I told him to look into it.

Has anyone done mods to a ktm 390? Is there much power to be gained with aftermarket parts? I'm always looking for another bike to build up >.<

Old February 2nd, 2016, 05:38 AM   #4
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
I read "yamaha r3". No ninja mentioned.

FWIW I rode a 13' ninja 300 and a ktm 390 last year and I wasn't impressed with either in terms of power. I told the 390 owner that his bike seemed a little underpowered for 390cc, and he mumbled something about a derestriction service from the dealer. I told him to look into it.

Has anyone done mods to a ktm 390? Is there much power to be gained with aftermarket parts? I'm always looking for another bike to build up >.<
Last paragraph:

Quote:
We&rsquo;ve request pricing and technical information but have been told we&rsquo;ll have to wait for further details but the company has also said it&rsquo;s also working on a turbo kit for the Ninja 300, which will be ready by March, so more details may be available then.
The little bikes aren't supposed to be impressive on power, but those claimed numbers on that turbo kit about double the horsepower. That's still not going to impress someone used to riding liter bikes, but it is a huge jump in power for a light little bike. Will be interesting to see how useful that power is.

Old February 2nd, 2016, 05:45 AM   #5
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Performance Technology says that turbocharging both bikes increases power up around 60hp.... ...turbo kits for the R3 and RC 390, which it says its increase power and efficiency without compromising reliability.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2016, 06:01 AM   #6
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post

I did say Claimed numbers and I did question if the power would be useful.

Also they don't say if that 60 HP is rear wheel or crank shaft. I'm guessing crank shaft.

While I'm skeptical of their numbers, I still think a turbo R3, Ninja 300 or 390 would be a blast. (maybe literally)

Old February 2nd, 2016, 07:54 AM   #7
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
would be fun, the claimed numbers don't seem crazy off to me. Racer x was getting over 45 on his 250 if I remember correctly and that wasn't even a great tune.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2016, 07:57 AM   #8
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I bet crank numbers were quoted. Small bikes are now what, 35-39 crank hp rated? So another 20 hp and it's good to go!!

Plus if a turbo setup is worth it's salt, it was designed and tested on an engine stand and engine dyno, where it can be torture tested; not strapped to a vehicle dyno.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2016, 10:07 AM   #9
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Hooray let's make the rc390 even more of a nightmare to work on. The packaging makes engine work a mild PITA.

I wonder what riding a turbo charged bike must be like. I imagine lag would change the throttle timing of everything.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2016, 10:30 AM   #10
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
I wonder what riding a turbo charged bike must be like. I imagine lag would change the throttle timing of everything.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2016, 11:02 AM   #11
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
Hooray let's make the rc390 even more of a nightmare to work on. The packaging makes engine work a mild PITA.

riding a small cc bike with a turbo you would have to keep it in the boost and it would be fine, but if you fell out of the turbo range it would fall so flat.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2016, 04:21 PM   #12
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
uhh... NA car...?

Old February 2nd, 2016, 04:24 PM   #13
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
riding a small cc bike with a turbo you would have to keep it in the boost and it would be fine, but if you fell out of the turbo range it would fall so flat.
That depends on the size/pattern of your turbine rotor and compressor rotor. It it IS possible to get a turbo that reduces lag but still gives a decent boost. Might be a bit odd with a thumper though, I feel like the exhaust pulses would be more of an issue than with, say, a V8, which should be closer to constant flow than a thumper...

Remember that we're dealing with a small turbo here!! This ain't no drag car that has to brake boost to get it spooled up.