ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old May 5th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Added a back protector to the closet

I've had a back protector I use on the track for years, but it's not very comfortable or breathable for street use. I've been wondering if my back would be in somewhat better shape now if I had one on for my get-off earlier this year. No way to really tell, but it certainly couldn't have hurt. So I picked up a more comfortable street-focused one this afternoon, the Forcefield Pro L2. Not sure if it will be comfy enough for longer rides, but plan to try and use it for day rides, at least as a start.

I also picked up another Shoei RF-1100, so I can keep one with an intercom system, and one without for the sportbikes. The cord dangling was a bit of a nuisance when on the 300 or the 10R (or whatever I replace it with), and trading back and forth between multiple helmets helps both of them last longer as well. They only had black in stock, so now one of mine is matte black, and the new one is the more traditional shiny black. I need to get both of them to my friend in my riding club that gets those reflective stickers on them just right (as in my avatar).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #2
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I've seriously thinking about chest/back protectors, the memory foam or whatever they call protection in my coat doesn't seem to protectful. I like the stickers on your helmet!
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #3
koma22
ninjette.org member

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Good call, I wear a Forcefield Pro Sub 4 on every ride... super comfortable.

koma22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #4
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

I also have the Pro Sub 4. If the 1 piece goes on, it does too. A friend of mine uses the Pro L2, he loves it!
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I was choosing between the 2 & the 4; the 2 seemed somewhat more comfortable, and still provided reasonable coverage and protection.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old May 5th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #6
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

is there a big difference between these and the ones in jackets?? I have a teknic freeway hp jacket that's loaded with back, elbow, shoulder protectors. Do you pull out the stock ones and wear this instead??
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #7
koma22
ninjette.org member

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
I also have the Pro Sub 4. If the 1 piece goes on, it does too. A friend of mine uses the Pro L2, he loves it!
I use separate pants/jacket right now, and the tailbone bit of the Sub 4 sticks out the bottom of my jacket (perfectly fine).

I plan on getting some leather pants so that they zip to the jacket though, is it still comfortable with that bit tucked in (a la 1 piece suits)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asspire View Post
is there a big difference between these and the ones in jackets?? I have a teknic freeway hp jacket that's loaded with back, elbow, shoulder protectors. Do you pull out the stock ones and wear this instead??
I was going to get the CE protector for my jacket initially. Then I read a back protector study by a UK mag and the Sub 4 was tops in terms of force dissipation (pressure, I guess). I figured I would just get a separate protector so I could keep it a long time -- i.e. use it for multiple jackets -- and enjoy the extra safety.
koma22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I think that these standalone ones are much more likely to stay in place while you're bouncing around, which is the only time that the protection matters. Depending on the jacket design, you need to be confident that it isn't going to slip or slide and move the jacket's built-in protection out of place while you're absorbing the impact(s). I know that my textile jackets aren't so tight that they wouldn't move around a bit. I think the elbow and shoulder protection seems adequate, but the foam padding for the back isn't particularly solid.

But I'm not sure whether I am going to remove that from the jacket, until I am able to determine if I'm really going to be wearing this device on every ride with that type of jacket. I don't think that they would interfere much if I had them both in; the padding/liner on the jacket it relatively thin.

Old May 5th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #9
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

I've heard all sorts of good things about forcefield back protectors. One bad thing is that they hold a lot of heat. I had a forcefield standalone back protector that I used on my daily commute, but ended up trading it for a forcefield in-jacket replacement padding because heat exhaustion was becoming an issue on the hot days. The difference in heat dissipation is really significant. No crash tests yet though, knock on wood...
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 04:09 AM   #10
cuz
cuz

Name: Israel

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

"i like my forcefield. its gotten high ratings from both here and in europe."

Old May 6th, 2013, 07:11 AM   #11
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

I have been eyeballing it for a while now, I currently have a D30 in my RS Taichi
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #12
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

I use the Bio Armor chest/back inserts in my Alpinestars jacket. I do have a Knox Aegis, but it's uber tight in the chest area if I try to wear it with my Dainese 1-piece. That was when the suit was brand new, maybe it fits better since the suit is broken in now.

Old May 6th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #13
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I got the Forcefield L2K back armor but found that it would ride up and start rubbing at my neck while on my bike. Guess I'm too small for it. I love the D3O armor inserts I got for my jacket though. So much lighter and more flexible than the armor that came with it. I had been using an A* bioarmor back insert and it's certainly a huge improvement from that too.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #14
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
I've heard all sorts of good things about forcefield back protectors. One bad thing is that they hold a lot of heat. I had a forcefield standalone back protector that I used on my daily commute, but ended up trading it for a forcefield in-jacket replacement padding because heat exhaustion was becoming an issue on the hot days. The difference in heat dissipation is really significant. No crash tests yet though, knock on wood...
To be honest, between this and the Knox Contour, I could not tell the difference in heat. The last few track-days I did were 95-100 off the track. At that point, it didn't matter what you were wearing; you could be wearing nothing and you'd feel just as hot with the dry wind; even at 130 MPH. To give you an idea of how hot that is, I would soak a shirt in a cooler full of ice and water, and put it on [without wringing it out] and I was dry after three laps.

But if you were just riding around town, I'd be hard pressed to put this thing on in the heat.

Actually, this was the other part of why I went from the Contour to the Forcefield is because [aside from more coverage] it is multi-crashable. I've gone down in it twice and my back has never been ached; but both were lowsides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koma22 View Post
I use separate pants/jacket right now, and the tailbone bit of the Sub 4 sticks out the bottom of my jacket (perfectly fine).

I plan on getting some leather pants so that they zip to the jacket though, is it still comfortable with that bit tucked in (a la 1 piece suits)?
To be honest I don't even know it's there when I ride in the 1 piece. It is difficult [and annoying], though, to keep the back protector in place when putting the leathers on, and sometimes the tailbone piece folds up by the time you get the top half on, so you have to start over. But once it's all in place, I really can't tell that it's there.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 01:53 AM   #15
shirleymccray
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Shirley

Motorcycle(s): honda

Added a back protector to the closet

I wear for riding. Leather jacket separate, leather pant back protector, elbow protcetor. This is breathable in summer too. Sometime i have used textile jacket.

Old June 28th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #16
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

This is what I use, protects well and I can hide in it when I get scared

LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote