ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 18th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #1
ghutcheson
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2009 FI

Question No Spark!!! 2009 Ninja 250 EX250 Fuel Injected

I would like to say hi as this is my first post after lingering on this forum for a while.

I've owned my Ninja 250 since July 2014 and not had a single problem until this week. I went to go for a ride and the bike struggled to start, but after a minute or so, it started. I went for a 40 minute ride and when I returned I turned my bike off. 5 minutes later, I started it back up (started instantly) and moved it into the garage. A couple of hours later, I tried to start her again but to no avail. I haven't had her going since!

After researching and trying multiple things, I found that there is no spark from the coil sticks. I bought new NGK CR8E spark plugs and still nothing. Tried touching the spark plug to the engine casing and no spark at all!

Battery was new in January and is always kept on a battery optimiser, so the battery is not the problem (double checked by jumping from a car battery-not running)

Using a tester, there is a feed to both coil connections and once the coil stick is connected to the spark plug, both wires on the connection show as having a feed, showing that the coils are earthing correctly.

Checked all the fuses, they are all intact and working, along with all lights.
The engine stop switch is functioning correctly, as when it is in the off position, this cuts the feed to the coil sticks.

I've checked the side stand, in both neutral and in gear. When the side stand is down, the engine turns over in neutral and in gear when the clutched is disengaged, and fails to do so when the clutch is engaged.

Also, I've unplugged almost all of the connectors on the bike and haven't found a visual problem with them.

I haven't checked the resistance of the stator yet, or checked the crankshaft sensor as I'm unsure how to check these correctly.

Am I right in thinking that the coils aren't getting the required pulse signal, hence no spark?

Is there anything obvious that I am missing, or any other suggestions? I don't particularly want to purchase a new CDI or coils as they are expensive and would be my last resort.

Also, does anyone have a wiring diagram for a fuel injected model?

Thanks in advance,
Greg
ghutcheson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2015, 05:12 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Greg, I hope someone can help you soon.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2015, 05:47 PM   #3
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Good morning Greg and a happy welcome to you (living in the country of the famous whisky),
I remember that for the 250 FI from 2008 to 2010 there was a recall for the tilt/tip or bank angle sensor.
So the question is, did this become replaced at yours?
Many guys in Germany had the problem while riding the engine stalled and didn't start no more until that sensor was replaced.
Good luck for you
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2015, 02:57 AM   #4
ghutcheson
ninjette.org newbie

Thank you both and thanks for the suggestion somchai!

The tilt/tip sensor has not been changed during my ownership, so that may be the problem.

Would the engine still crank over if this was defective? Also, is it likely to fail in my situation (eg. Start after 1 minute, start instantly after a ride followed by no spark at all)

Old April 19th, 2015, 04:07 AM   #5
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

At least the only answer I can give you Greg, is that I didn't have that problem and so my knowledge is based on what I'd read only.
The engine should crank as long as the battery has enough power to activate the starter.
But another thing I just remember is that some guys also had problems with the engine stop switch and after spraying WD40 in it the engine started again.
At least there are so many things possible and I hope you'll find the solution pretty quick.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2015, 04:46 AM   #6
ghutcheson
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post
At least the only answer I can give you Greg, is that I didn't have that problem and so my knowledge is based on what I'd read only.
The engine should crank as long as the battery has enough power to activate the starter.
But another thing I just remember is that some guys also had problems with the engine stop switch and after spraying WD40 in it the engine started again.
At least there are so many things possible and I hope you'll find the solution pretty quick.
Thanks again for the quick response. I'll look into the tilt sensor and open the engine stop switch!

Back at it again just now, so fingers crossed!

Old April 19th, 2015, 03:49 PM   #7
ghutcheson
ninjette.org newbie

After another day of fiddling with the bike, no spark at all.

Checked the resistance to the stator, all 3 wires showing 0.6 Ohms resistance and none are grounded. Checked to make sure there was resistance to the pickup coil too and there was, but can't remember the figure.

Had the engine kills switch off again and all looked to be fine there!

I'm really struggling with this now and can't think of anything else

Any other suggestions at all before my wallet gets a lot lighter

Thanks

Old April 21st, 2015, 03:09 AM   #8
ghutcheson
ninjette.org newbie

I've given up and the bike is being handed over to a mechanic today!

I forgot to mention, the bike has a Datatool S4 Red alarm. I personally think this could be the source of all my problems. The alarm is potentially leaving the bike immobilised even though it looks to be working. I bought the bike with the alarm on it, but will never have one again.

I'll reply once the bike is fixed, letting you all know what was wrong!

Thanks for the advice given

Old April 22nd, 2015, 01:44 PM   #9
ghutcheson
ninjette.org newbie

Alarm removed!

Wires reattached and FIRE!

But 30 seconds later, she stops!

Traced back to a loose wire at the fuel pump, not priming correctly when initially turning the ignition to on.

FIXED!