ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 17th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #1
fsilva_mcl
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Francis

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r 2005 Suzuki GS500F (Written Off)

New Brake Problems (Excessive Lever Travel)

So my OEM front brakes were about to hit the dirt so I decided to change them up with the equivalent EBC HH pad. I've read varying reviews on it and from the most part seemed like a solid choice.

Changing the brakes were a snap as I do it all the time on my car and vans. However this is where the problems start. So initial bite was almost like night and day from the OEMs. When you start to pull on the brake the EBCs didn't feel like they started kicking in until much later and there is increased lever travel almost to the point where the lever comes all the way back to the handle bars. So I bled the brakes and I still have these problems. However the bike does stop fine and the brakes work, they just dont feel as strong and the excessive lever travel is worrying.

Anyways my question is, since I don't think it is normal for the lever to have to travel all the way back to the handle bars when performing a stop, is there anything I can do to decrease lever travel?

Some points to add:

1. I also changed my rear brakes to the EBC HH and they feel infinitely times better than OEM and exhibit none of the problems the front brake does.

2. Can this have anything to do with bedding in. I researched how to bed in EBC brakes and got varying answers so I basically followed a pretty general approach. Doing 8 progressively harder stops from higher speeds without stopping, rode for 15 minutes to ensure the brakes were cooled down and then performed another set of 8 progressively harder stops.

3. If worst comes to worst I will take the bike in as I know brakes are important, so please don't post to tell me brakes are important and if I don't know what I'm doing I should take it in, because I'm pretty technically savvy and have been doing brake jobs and other car work for a while.

Thanks in advance for the help!
fsilva_mcl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #2
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

While still, does the lever travel too far back? If so, try releasing it then pulling it back a couple more times, real quick... does the 3rd pull feel a lot firmer than the first?

Old May 18th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #3
fsilva_mcl
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
While still, does the lever travel too far back? If so, try releasing it then pulling it back a couple more times, real quick... does the 3rd pull feel a lot firmer than the first?
Tried it and it feels exactly the same... the bike has enough stopping power to ride however its that compared to the other day when i had the oems on the brake lever didn't need to be pulled half as far to stop... and the first inch or so of brake pull doesn't do anything... if it was connected by a cable it would be akin to having slack in the line...

Old May 18th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #4
kkim

did you open up the hydraulic system when you changed the pads? could you have gotten air in the system, if you did?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #5
fsilva_mcl
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
did you open up the hydraulic system when you changed the pads? could you have gotten air in the system, if you did?
Ya I thought I may have so I bled the brakes. I am going to try and re-bleed the brakes again tonight, I was thinking that I may have not tightened the bleeder enough when taking off the tube.

Old May 19th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #6
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Sounds like air in system to me. Bleed the system again and make sure all the air is out.
Posted via Mobile Device
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #7
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

As you know with changing car/van brakes(motorcycles), you can change pads and shouldnt have to bleed them. Personally, I would toss the old pads back in and see if the firm feeling is back. < Dont even have to ride it......

The only way I know of to change the feeling in the lever, is to buy one of those trick Brembo RCS master cylinders. < not sure if it would work on the single disc/caliper.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote