ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 23rd, 2020, 01:23 PM   #1
OldNick
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Austin

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Upper Fairing won't go into place

I decided to repaint my fairings so tore it all down got it all painted and now I'm replacing everything on the bike. Problem is, the upper fairing won't line up to the gas tank, the lower 2 pieces that screw on bump into the radiator and seem to not let it go to where it needs to go.

I've lined up those rod things and it threads fine onto the fairing but otherwise won't move into place on the gas tank.

Any ideas as to how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance!
OldNick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2020, 11:04 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hi Austin & welcome to Ninjette!

Can you take photo of "rod things" and post here? Also of fairing pieces that should go onto tank brackets.

Order of operations is critically important here in getting everything to line up. Also never ever tighten bolts all way down until you get every single panel in place. The taillight alignment actually depends upon front-fairing being in correct place. This is for '08-12 new-gen models:

1. install fairing-stay onto frame. Note that two big bolts allow some wiggle, so leave loose as this will allow about 1/4" of movement back at gas-tank bracket.

2. install headlights into fairing (leave windshield off). These bolts you can tighten because nothing else attaches to headlights

3. install inner mirror bracket onto fairing-stay

4. lay fairing over mirror bracket and lightly thread one mirror bolt from outside to in to hold in place

5. install instrument cluster into inner fairing

6. install inner fairing over fairing-stay, lining up upper bolts behind mirror bracket

7. install inside mirror bolt through both fairings and bracket (loosely)

8. align inner and upper fairing over tank-bracket and lightly install bolts

9. align side of upper fairing with lower fairing-stay and lightly install bolts

10. install windshield. Lower bolts actually go through windshield and through upper fairing and into well-nuts on inner-fairing. Three layers needs to line up perfectly

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; May 24th, 2020 at 10:27 AM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2020, 11:14 PM   #3
OldNick
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for all the info!

I can take some pictures tomorrow but for reference,

https://youtu.be/P09S0RvGwII

this video references the rod things at 7:50 on either side of the headlight, the upper fairing threads fine onto those but the lower radiator covers get stuck on the radiator and I can't reach the holes to connect the gas tank to the fairing even if the gas tank is off its mount

Old May 24th, 2020, 11:15 AM   #4
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Sorry, I was thinking of '08-12 new-gen when writing above procedure.

Ahh, "guide pins" or "dowel pins". Is this new bike to you? Or did everything fit before taking apart? On one pre-gen I bought, fairing-stay was bent ever so slightly. Mirror bracket holes weren't centred in fairing and none of tank mounts lined up. As result, lower-fairing didn't fit either. So I bought another fairing stay off ebay, nope bent as well. And bought another one from local racer clearing out his garage. Nope also bent and nothing fit. I ended up bending forward two tabs holding guide-pins about 3mm. Chopped off both mirror-mounts. Then welded on right one from eBay stay and left one from racer-garage stay. Used upper-fairing as jig to make sure all pieces were aligned before tacking in place.

Hopefully yours isn't bent. Here's what you'll want to do for '88-07 pre-gen:

1. remove radiator covers and lower-fairing from bike. You cannot install upper-fairing with them in place. Unless you're origami master and can bend plastic in impossible ways, it's A LOT faster and MUCH, MUCH easier to install upper-fairing with radiator covers and lower fairing OFF bike completely.

2. lightly grease dowel-pins on fairing-stay with silicone grease.

3. looking from above, slide upper-fairing longitudinally onto guide pins (make sure grommet on both sides is centered on each one). Tilt nose of fairing downwards so they don't touch mirror mounts and continue shoving fairing backwards until grommets have slid all way to base of pins. You can see with flashlight from above how far they've gone. They often go on partway and stick, fooling you into thinking they're OK, but nothing else will line up.

4. once fully slid onto pins, let go of fairing. It will tip down at back and line up with tank holes.

5. wiggle rear of upper fairing up & down slightly and lightly install tank bolts. SHORT bolt does in upper-front tank bracket. Should have only 5mm of threads. Otherwise longer bolt will puncture into tank and you'll have constant leak.

6. wiggle front up & down to centre mirror holes over bracket. Install mirrors

7. install radiator covers

8. install lower fairing.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; May 31st, 2020 at 11:02 PM.

Old May 24th, 2020, 11:31 AM   #5
OldNick
ninjette.org newbie

I see, those first instructions did seem confusing.

It was all together and running for about a year prior when I bought it, just wanted to fix what the last guy did, he decided to use latex white house paint and it was peeling.

Yes those dowels were what I was thinking of and weren't a problem, but I did have the radiator covers on, which makes sense why it won't get on. I'll have to give it a shot later today, I appreciate all the info on this, I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure it out.

Old May 25th, 2020, 10:41 AM   #6
OldNick
ninjette.org newbie

I'm struggling a bit, I can't seem to avoid the mirror brackets or tip the nose down once the pins are threaded, once there its really far from the gas tank holes and I cant seem to maneuver it any other way.

https://imgur.com/a/ZvNDr4D

Old May 25th, 2020, 03:23 PM   #7
OldNick
ninjette.org newbie

And I feel a little dumb for asking, turns out I didn't have the tank on the rubber stoppers, I had them above. Thanks for all your help! Went on super easy once that was corrected!

Old May 25th, 2020, 03:37 PM   #8
DannoXYZ

Ahahahh!!! hate it when that happens! Awesome work figuring that out!

Old May 25th, 2020, 06:50 PM   #9
OldNick
ninjette.org newbie

Yeah figures but almost back together, just one turn signal is giving me grief but I've narrowed down to the bulb or the wiring on the turn signal end so could be worse. Didn't take a picture after that but here's almost all the bodywork back on https://imgur.com/a/rfcxSSG

Old May 25th, 2020, 07:56 PM   #10
DannoXYZ

OOhh, ahh, very nice. Always pleasure to see hard work come together!

Old June 19th, 2020, 04:27 AM   #11
spent_too_much
ninjette.org guru

Name: Miguel

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX-250; several other years of the same

What brand, and color name did you use for paint? That's an awesome shade of blue!

Old June 19th, 2020, 04:28 AM   #12
OldNick
ninjette.org newbie

I used Dupli-Color Electron Blue Pearl. Along with their clear. Its actually a Honda paint color that I believe they used on their 90s cars